• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Started the game yesterday. I technically made an account in 2014, and remember having a 14day trial, but never did anything but make a character.

I got the Complete edition on PS4, and it automatically started without having me go through any subscription tab. Did registering Complete Edition to my old account give me a free trial? And if so, how long is the trial?

Regardless Im super in. I started it up before noon just to make a character, and basically played til 2am. Kinda disgusted of myself, but this is the first MMO I've played and I'm scared how hooked I am already.
Welcome to FFXIV.
You get 30 days for free when you buy the game. You can check your subscription information on MogStation. That's also the place you'll need to go to pay for your sub when your initial 30 days run out.
Consider joining the Era Free Company if you're on Ultros.
Use someone's referral code before your free 30 days runs out to get free stuff after you pay for your first month.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to FFXIV.
You get 30 days for free when you buy the game. You can check your subscription information on MogStation. That's also the place you'll need to go to pay for your sub when your initial 30 days run out.
Consider joining the Era Free Company if you're on Ultros.
Use someone's referral code before your free 30 days runs out to get free stuff after you pay for your first month.
I started on Famfrit so I'd get the XP bonus, am I able to switch to Ultros later?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I started on Famfrit so I'd get the XP bonus, am I able to switch to Ultros later?
You can switch servers at any time, but it costs 18 of your finest American dollars (or your regional equivalent) to do so
You can also visit other servers on your Data Center, but you can only join FCs that are on your own server. So, hypothetically, if you wanted to play with someone in the Era FC, you could, but you still can't join the Era FC unless your character is on Ultros

Last edited:

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
You can switch servers at any time, but it costs 18 of your finest American dollars (or your regional equivalent) to do so
You can also visit other servers on your Data Center, but you can only join FCs that are on your own server. So, hypothetically, if you wanted to play with someone in the Era FC, you could, but you still can't join the Era FC unless your character is on Ultros
Okay I understand thanks. I'll definitely switch over when I've gotten my bearings.

Makeshift Chef

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I started on Famfrit as well. Still having a lot of fun with it. I'm still just following along with the MSQ. My BLM is 56 currently and I still can't get the new abilities post level 50 because I need to move the story along more, lol.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
I got bored of Shadowbringers main quest at the trolly bollocks so I got distracted power levelling Miner. Went back to MQ and what the fuck is this writing
Ranjit just kicks the trolley you spent wasting time getting to work then you get a cool Thancred moment and fight. Now this should be where Ranjit dies as his plot is done and it helps Thancred finishes his plot also. They both are fathers to Minfillas and Thancred is the new better replacement. Instead he teleports away just so obviously we can kill him later. If this was a single player Final Fantasy or any other RPG Ranjit would have died then. Doesn't help his music sucks you know he appears when hear that shitty intro.

in short Thancred is cool again and Ranjit sucks

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ranjit was easily the worst thing about Shadowbringers to me. I rolled my eyes every time he was around.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think everyone agrees that Ranjit is the worst part of Shadowbringers. Also he's like the one outlier in like power scaling in the game. You telling me he's on the same level as Zenos? No.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Zenos' power level was perfect. The WoL thinks they're hot shit and then Zenos comes along and tells them to sit the fuck down. Then you're a bit more even on the second encounter until finally you've surpassed him in the third. Ranjit felt like he was strong for no reason.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
To me, Ran'jit is one of those characters that's interesting on paper, but the execution was lacking. He seemed like a badass when I first saw him in the game, and his fighting style is pretty neat. But none of the fights with him are particularly interesting or challenging. They just felt tedious to get through. One of the very few things I didn't like in ShB. Felt like there was a better version of the character we didn't get to see.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Ranjit is the worst. Thankfully the game treat him as such by giving him a whimper exit.

Completed my Late Allagan set for MNK. I think I'm developing a latex fetish now.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm in the minority, but Zenos is so damn lame and it really makes it hard to enjoy the story sometimes.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ranjit was fine. His story is pretty interesting, though I wish they did more with it. He isn't really Zenos 2.0. You only fight him like, twice as the WoL. The first time you're caught off guard more than anything. The second time you deal with him without too much trouble.

I assume most people mean it as in a recurring antagonist, but I think you needed someone like that in this expansion. Vauthry sure wasn't going to be that and Emet had a very different role in the story.

Last edited:

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Until they do the moogle beast tribe quests.
I did it all for the Moogle Dance

I started on Famfrit as well. Still having a lot of fun with it. I'm still just following along with the MSQ. My BLM is 56 currently and I still can't get the new abilities post level 50 because I need to move the story along more, lol.
Those are transformative levels for BLM. Ley Lines at 52, Enochian at 56, and Fire IV at 60 and shit starts getting real. It's when things finally get more interesting than casting Fire 1 over and over again hoping for a Firestarter proc.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Tanked a bit today for the first time in years (might as well have been the first time ever, only tanked a handful of times when I last played a couple years ago). Honestly went better than I expected. Did Aery, Dusk Vigil, and 2x Sirensong, and they all went off without a hitch. Even had two people in the party for the last Sirensong run thank me for interrupting the scream move of the mid-boss thing just before the end boss. So that felt pretty good.

So yeah, slowly getting over my fear of tanking, heh.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit it's Lyse lol. I'm doing the level 80 MNK quest and wasn't expecting her.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Even had two people in the party for the last Sirensong run thank me for interrupting the scream move of the mid-boss thing just before the end boss. So that felt pretty good.

So yeah, slowly getting over my fear of tanking, heh.
Nobody ever interrupts that shit, so that is legit. Or if anything they use their interrupt on the significantly less important attack she does right before the charm.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Zenos was fine in stormblood he was first person to casually defeat the WoL after 2 storylines of us easily winning. Then the second fight is a botched assassination attempt and then you overcome him 3rd time it actually progressed well.

the dumb part of Zenos is the whole he was a badass gunblade user then during Doma invasion he tried the katana for fun but because he so badass he was able to master it easily. Best thing about him is the VA and armour the whole body swapping plot is some Kingdom Hearts eye rolling stuff.

ranjit is just not a threat that makes sense he badass because he being fighting for 50years training minfillas and something about a snake. We had Sin eaters having a try hard villain was not needed what's worse is plot wise he could been fine. Have him win first fight because the group was tired from the battle for minfilla. Keep the dungeon fight and him being trapped then introduce the snake dragon thing for the Thancred fight which ends with his death. Explain his motives during it to cap it off like they was doing before they coped out can't have a enemy die not by the WoL hands for some reason.

god admit I turned around on the Thancred plot he started out bleh but grew on me hopefully we keep confident fun Thancred now instead of broody one.

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Ah damn, didn't know the Ranjit stuff. Haven't gotten too far into Shadowbringers, a bit bummed by spoilers now. Guess I should be more careful with what posts I read in here.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
got the warring lanner mount and I really like it. I like all 3 mounts I got from the moogle event so far.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Finally finished the main story for A Realm Reborn! Now I've got a billion blue quest markers on the map. I'm going to assume that most of them are for unlocking dungeons, lol.

Speaking of dungeons, most people have been very helpful and understanding so far. I just died twice in a row against a certain enemy in a dungeon and after the fight was over someone explained the mechanic that was killing me. It feels bad having no idea what to do in a given situation but like I said, everyone has been understanding and helpful.

I felt pretty good a few minutes later too. The tank pulled a ton of enemies (which we had been doing with no problems up to that point) but the healer was too far behind to heal him. I saw what was happening and used sleep right as the tank died which stopped all of the enemies long enough for the healer to revive the tank and we didn't wipe. I might have been able to stop the tank from dying in the first place if I wasn't still fumbling with the controls, lol.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished the main story for A Realm Reborn! Now I've got a billion blue quest markers on the map. I'm going to assume that most of them are for unlocking dungeons, lol.

Speaking of dungeons, most people have been very helpful and understanding so far. I just died twice in a row against a certain enemy in a dungeon and after the fight was over someone explained the mechanic that was killing me. It feels bad having no idea what to do in a given situation but like I said, everyone has been understanding and helpful.

I felt pretty good a few minutes later too. The tank pulled a ton of enemies (which we had been doing with no problems up to that point) but the healer was too far behind to heal him. I saw what was happening and used sleep right as the tank died which stopped all of the enemies long enough for the healer to revive the tank and we didn't wipe. I might have been able to stop the tank from dying in the first place if I wasn't still fumbling with the controls, lol.
Don't feel bad. The game is pretty consistent with its visual mechanic markers and introduces them at a pretty even pace, so you will get caught off guard by them less and less often the more you play.

Good stuff with the sleep. It's that kind of quick thinking that makes the game's combat fun. Sometimes a team can really bullshit their way of horrible situations, and it's imo one of the most rewarding parts of the game when you manage it.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah if there is a better use for sleep than keeping a horde of enemies at bay while your tank revives, I haven't heard of it. Nice play.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally finishing up Shadowbringers and do I really have to do all the side-quests in Kholusia without flying? I'm level 78 and I found all Wind Currents and did all quests for currents thought I lack one Quest Current and I don't see any !+ quest on my map anywhere o.o

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm finally finishing up Shadowbringers and do I really have to do all the side-quests in Kholusia without flying? I'm level 78 and I found all Wind Currents and did all quests for currents thought I lack one Quest Current and I don't see any !+ quest on my map anywhere o.o

MSQ has air currents also. I mean, so did the previous expansions, usually the dungeon quests.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
MSQ has air currents also. I mean, so did the previous expansions.

I'm aware but I'm currently locked out of the MSQ till I'm level 79 and I could do the previous areas with side-quests also with flying unlocked first and... oh wait I think I get it...

It's story/lore based right? You can't unlock flying till you defeat the warden as then the whole efforts in Kholusia would make no sense story-wise, is that it?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm aware but I'm currently locked out of the MSQ till I'm level 79 and I could do the previous areas with side-quests also with flying unlocked first and... oh wait I think I get it...

It's story/lore based right? You can't unlock flying till you defeat the warden as then the whole efforts in Kholusia would make no sense story-wise, is that it?

probably. Again, it's not the first time flying is locked out until you finish the zone, I'm pretty sure.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Just started Shadowbringers last night and decided I'd visit Alisaie first . . . ummmm, yeah, wow, and I'm not done with the quest line yet!

Aurelia Borel

Oct 30, 2017
probably. Again, it's not the first time flying is locked out until you finish the zone, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, it's been that way since they introduced flying in Heavensward. It's mostly just to make you actually travel through a zone and explore it, rather than simply give you the ability to zip through and ignore half of it right off the bat.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Issue with Shadowbringers is when on a mount you move slower then not being on one. Even heavensward was not that bad. It feels like you riding in cement until you grind out those currents even then you don't get half speed boost like previous expansions for finding half currents so it takes forever as you still not moving as fast as older zones

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Issue with Shadowbringers is when on a mount you move slower then not being on one. Even heavensward was not that bad. It feels like you riding in cement until you grind out those currents even then you don't get half speed boost like previous expansions for finding half currents so it takes forever as you still not moving as fast as older zones

This is where I'm thankful a friend gifted me the SDS Fenrir mount halfway through ShB, which has the riding map speed boosts built in by default.

Though, after I finished ShB I did enough FATE grinding while leveling RDM that I was able to buy all the riding maps anyway.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I just noticed that all the sidequests in ShB scale down to lvl 70, thats weird but cool.

OP
OP
Dark Knight

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Alphinaud's questline is totally valid as a "The First 101" educational experience as well. Learning about the power dynamic of Eulmore is pretty key to getting the lay of the land, and Alis' more horrifying story beat serves to reinforce the queerness of Eulmore's Sineater cooperation in retrospect.

Either quest works great as an intro I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.