• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized since we are getting a Ifrit/Garuda fight in Eden we might get a Primal Judgement/Fallen Angel dual mix and I really want to hear that.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
After the patch it probably will. A lot of people don't watch the live letter and won't know about it until the relic is actually in the game.

Right now people are still trying to farm the Heavensward raids for the moogles tomes to get those last few things they need before that event ends next week.
I'll be doing actual raiding by then though, I guess I'll try again after a month or two when the floor is cleared.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I thought the relic Ivalice completion requirement would help with people queuing for it but nope, still can't find a group.

That's odd. I had the same idea and I was able to get a group for the first two over the weekend. Granted, the first queue took about 40 minutes, but it was quicker than a few weeks ago when I spent over an hour and wasn't showing even half filled on the party finder.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Man relic weapons are so cool. I'm jealous of people walking around carrying Soul Edge and shit. I'm gonna give the relic quest a real shot this time.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
AST is just a weird job. It and MNK are the two I dread eventually taking to 80 the most.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I dislike about Savage is that if you work on it consistently, it makes relic/ 24 man raid / enhanced af gear useless by the time the next patch rolls around. For the amount of work they required in Eureka, they really should have been close in stats to salvage gear or upgradeable to that level with extra work.

What I would really like to see is Savage 24 man raids that you cannot DF that drop top tier gear (maybe 5 item levels than savage) as well. I think WoW does something like that.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I feel I've been getting lucky with this Moogle event. I keep praying for Prae in MSQ Roulette and somehow it keeps popping. Last few Moogle events I felt I always got Castrum. Not complaining as it's easy tomestones and XP lol.

Oct 25, 2017
The smaller group size for Savage/Ultimate is a huge part of the appeal for me--while you can still work around individual strengths and weaknesses with 8 people, the smaller overall groups promote more personal responsibility and individual contribution towards the goal that you lose out on in larger groups.

Would everyone prefer if Savage came out a week later after the patch?

I don't terribly mind Savage hitting at the same time as normal and crafted, I do wish there was a week gap between their balance changes being released and the next raid tier. It's annoying to not know how hard a given job will be buffed or nerfed heading into new content, especially with their new emphasis on 'we're just not telling you anything in advance anymore.'

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Would everyone prefer if Savage came out a week later after the patch?
That's how I jumped into Savage in Stormblood and I did like the waiting period. I don't like rushing quests to get everythinf ready as soon as it comes out.

The only thing I dislike about Savage is that if you work on it consistently, it makes relic/ 24 man raid / enhanced af gear useless by the time the next patch rolls around. For the amount of work they required in Eureka, they really should have been close in stats to salvage gear or upgradeable to that level with extra work.

What I would really like to see is Savage 24 man raids that you cannot DF that drop top tier gear (maybe 5 item levels than savage) as well. I think WoW does something like that.
Is non-savage gear now worse than savage gear? The 24-man stuff was always a sort of middle ground, but I remember relics being equivalent to savage gear when maxed.

When I was raiding, they were very close in stats to the point where sometimes enhanced tomestone gear was better for the slot than the savage equivalent in some places, and the maxed relic was equal to the savage weapon drop. It made relic grinding and raiding a sort of soft catchup mechanic for groups that were struggling to clear the later turns of savage.

It also meant that people could grind their way up to top end gear through non-group content instead of finding a group to run savage with, which not everyone is interested in.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
*Pixie Beast Tribe*

Ezel II talks about how he "eats" nightmares but I see him snorting that shit.

You got a problem, man.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
That's how I jumped into Savage in Stormblood and I did like the waiting period. I don't like rushing quests to get everythinf ready as soon as it comes out.

Is non-savage gear now worse than savage gear? The 24-man stuff was always a sort of middle ground, but I remember relics being equivalent to savage gear when maxed.

When I was raiding, they were very close in stats to the point where sometimes enhanced tomestone gear was better for the slot than the savage equivalent in some places, and the maxed relic was equal to the savage weapon drop. It made relic grinding and raiding a sort of soft catchup mechanic for groups that were struggling to clear the later turns of savage.

It also meant that people could grind their way up to top end gear through non-group content instead of finding a group to run savage with, which not everyone is interested in.
Yeah you're correct. Currently the best in slot gear is a mixture of savage+upgraded phantasma stuff. And a lot of the pieces can be swapped around for preference (like maybe you prefer skill speed on one vs the other and other things) so they're about the same yeah.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I forgot that I'm still using 430 crafting gear. I guess I need to make the latest set before 5.2. I'm sure I'll need the extra stats to make the new crafted gear.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Once I've unlocked a hard or extreme dungeon is there any need to do the quest to complete it? I'm currently clearing out old lvl 60 unlock quests and don't want to redo extreme runs if I can avoid it.

also. Is there a faster way to do squadron unlocks? I'm trying to unlock the next level of grand company stuff but leveling squads is crazy slow. I really need to unlock more members.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah you're correct. Currently the best in slot gear is a mixture of savage+upgraded phantasma stuff. And a lot of the pieces can be swapped around for preference (like maybe you prefer skill speed on one vs the other and other things) so they're about the same yeah.

The meta has always been upgraded tome gear and savage gear. My issue has been that aside from the weapons, there is no other meaningful goals to shoot for once you complete each tier, and most players will have done so before patch 5.3. The ultimate fights have been a nice option but they are all-or-none fights for an awesome weapon. Meanwhile, the gear dropped by the raids is always outclassed by the time it is available. I think a possible solution of a ''mythic' run of the raid with stronger mobs and i405 (this patch should cap at 400) gear would be great. You can balance it by having the first few bosses dropping accessories and belts and then 3rd to 4th dropping non chest equipment, and the finale dropping 2 possible bodies per party and items that you can use to enhance some type of gear.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
PF only actual hard 24 man content would be pretty abysmal, I say both as someone who does all the content and someone anti social enough to not want figure out 24 people together I wouldn't hate. Let me be a hermit.

This game has never really cared much about it's gear treadmill? Savage at this point is simply a means for gearing for Ultimate. Which is largely where the devs want gearing to be. A reason for weekly logins but also not severe enough that if you miss out you're in mega catch-up.

Edit: Not to say I'm against more hard things to do just increasing the scale to 24 man content is eh vs just harder 4 / 8 man stuff personally.

Last edited:

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I would like a 24 man ultimate raid just to experience the chaos that would ensue

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
No thanks to 24 person raids. Eight people is much more manageable and lowers the barrier to start raiding.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ptolemaios
24 person savage raids would be horrendous. Getting 8 people together for the same schedule every week is already hard enough and you wanna triple that? No thanks.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Once I've unlocked a hard or extreme dungeon is there any need to do the quest to complete it? I'm currently clearing out old lvl 60 unlock quests and don't want to redo extreme runs if I can avoid it.

also. Is there a faster way to do squadron unlocks? I'm trying to unlock the next level of grand company stuff but leveling squads is crazy slow. I really need to unlock more members.
This is the case for everything through the extreme trials for 3.0 bosses. For 3.1-3.5 content the quest completes after you unlock the duty/duties, and from 4.x onward there are no quests to begin with you just get the unlocks straight up.

For clearing extreme trials just put up a room in party finder for unsynced play, put "WT" in the description (wondrous tales). Get 1-3 more people for any ARR or HW content and you'll clear it in two minutes or something.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The closest they've ever done to a large scale savage thing is Baldesion's arsenal, and honestly I loved it. However the mechanics are not particularly difficult, it's like an easy-ish 24 man in terms of difficulty, but there's a perma-death penalty (*you can equip an ability that gives a 70% shot at a reraise if you die, others can also sacrifice themselves to raise you) which makes it incredibly intense. I'd be super up for more content like that without all the ridiculous hoops you have to jump through to get in.

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
Oh man I can't decide what I want to do for 5.2 first.

I want to get through MSQ because it sounds promising, AND I want to experience the new dungeon and hope Soken composes a score using the Amaurot theme instead of the Ascian theme like he did with Akadaemia Anyder. Amaurot music is hands down my favorite environment music in the game!

But I also want to jump on the Edenverse raid, I need to experience SexyThunderDaddy and see who the last fight for the tier is!

AAAAND then there is the Ruby Weapon raid... which I'll probably need to get on it to get the Weapon which will definitely be needed for Savage prog.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
Oh man I can't decide what I want to do for 5.2 first.

I want to get through MSQ because it sounds promising, AND I want to experience the new dungeon and hope Soken composes a score using the Amaurot theme instead of the Ascian theme like he did with Akadaemia Anyder. Amaurot music is hands down my favorite environment music in the game!

But I also want to jump on the Edenverse raid, I need to experience SexyThunderDaddy and see who the last fight for the tier is!

AAAAND then there is the Ruby Weapon raid... which I'll probably need to get on it to get the Weapon which will definitely be needed for Savage prog.

lol if you are not going to be spending all your time ocean fishing

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just realized this is the first time one of these patches is coming out on a day I have off, so I can run the new Eden normal raids completely blind with everyone else. Not sure if I will though. I'm terrible at figuring out mechanics on the fly without some sort of guide (save the obvious 'don't step in this' or following generic markers) so I suspect I'll still manage to die the most in whatever group has the misfortune of having me as their healer. Still, I'm a bit curious to experience what running this sort of content is like on Day 1 when everyone is trying to figure things out.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized this is the first time one of these patches is coming out on a day I have off, so I can run the new Eden normal raids completely blind with everyone else. Not sure if I will though. I'm terrible at figuring out mechanics on the fly without some sort of guide (save the obvious 'don't step in this' or following generic markers) so I suspect I'll still manage to die the most in whatever group has the misfortune of having me as their healer. Still, I'm a bit curious to experience what running this sort of content is like on Day 1 when everyone is trying to figure things out.
Normal mode isn't super difficult, so usually you just wipe a few times until you figure out the mechanics and then clear. People have been pretty chill in my experience.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I always try to go into the Normal raids blind. It makes it more interesting when no one knows what to do. I never do Extreme or Savage content without watching a guide first, though.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Normal mode isn't super difficult, so usually you just wipe a few times until you figure out the mechanics and then clear. People have been pretty chill in my experience.

Sounds good, I'll probably try out E5N and see how that goes, then take it from there. I feel I'd probably have a bit of an easier time running content blind with a DPS class like RDM, but I just like to run everything as my primary class first (WHM) before trying it with different jobs.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I would like a 24 man ultimate raid just to experience the chaos that would ensue
I used to run my 8-man raid group in this game, and I would never want to do a 24-man group at that level. The very thought is horrifying lol.

Even recruiting for one replacement in an 8-man group is hard enough.

Getting together 8 people with similar skill level, schedule, personality, and ambition towards the game is already a small miracle in itself.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I hate when people are screwing around with the game and waste other people's time. I just queued in for EXDR and got Grand Cosmos. There was a DRK tanking and WHM healing. We wiped at the first boss. On the first set of trash after the first boss, I died and the other DPS nearly died because the healer wouldn't heal. When I got back, the DRK said they were testing Living Dead. I just left the duty. 15 minutes just to get past the first boss was too much for me. I checked the contacts menu and they were all from the same server. If people want to try stuff out, they should do it in unsynced content or a full premade party. Now I've got to wait 30 minutes for the penalty time.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
TBN really makes the DRK. It's basically a parry/counter mechanic from games like Dark Souls translated into a tab-targetting MMORPG setting. It's incredibly satisfying to pull off.

which brings me to, i would love for both a visual and audio cue when the shield breaks. Would make it even more satisfying.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I did not expect such a response. I suppose I looked at WoW and see how they do things with their big weekly raids and wondered if it was something 14 was missing the mark on. I still would like a harder version of the raids for better gear, and we can keep it DF!

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
This is the case for everything through the extreme trials for 3.0 bosses. For 3.1-3.5 content the quest completes after you unlock the duty/duties, and from 4.x onward there are no quests to begin with you just get the unlocks straight up.

For clearing extreme trials just put up a room in party finder for unsynced play, put "WT" in the description (wondrous tales). Get 1-3 more people for any ARR or HW content and you'll clear it in two minutes or something.

So for example, I just did the quest to unlock labryinth of the ancients. The quest is to now queue and beat it. Any negative to not doing it besides missing out on seeing them?? What about the quests to enter and complete extreme shiva, or thok ast thok? I've "unlocked" them in the queue, is just the quest to beat them. Any reason to keep the quest in my log? I don't want to potentially miss out on quest or content locked behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.