• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
The longer you wait to clear new content, the harder it gets, the increase in avg gear level+strats being widely available doesnt make up for the disparity in players doing content day one vs day whatever, sadly that's just how it is.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The longer you wait to clear new content, the harder it gets, the increase in avg gear level+strats being widely available doesnt make up for the disparity in players doing content day one vs day whatever, sadly that's just how it is.
First wave syndrome

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I dumped MNK and got to 70 as DRG. Man what a fun job. The rotation is quite rigid, but it's fun to land. The seamless shifting betweem the two combos by doing the whole fang and claw -> wheeling thrust and vice versa feels so good.

But when I got Mirage Dive, I began to worry. Then I got to 70, and now the job feels so chaotic to me. I have no idea in which order I should use my OGCDs to get the optimal uptime on Life of the Dragon and make sure I get three Nastronds off. The rotation went from having a nice flow, to being a bit chaotic (for a scrub like myself).

I'm hoping for some advice from other Dragoons on this. I really like this job, but I feel like I've hit a wall.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The previous, unsure if still true in Shadowbringers, trend for JP has been they PF for the sake of practice and then being able to execute it in DF so you're right there. So this is where you end up with a more consistent strat base, better use of macros, and just generally a more willingness to simply "do as told" rather than people doing whatever split tanks/healers/DPS wise for positioning.

It's always funny when you PF something and someone only knows the fight from a specific position; literally no mechanics change but E instead of W or E instead of SE and suddenly they're griping.

There's a lot to be said about many people's suggestions are to practice in PF the phase ahead of where you are, the general trend of people assuming others are at fault, not pulling their own weight but thirsty for clears, etc. Hell, you can see it a lot with statics too where they limp into seeing X phase and it's suddenly "PHASE PROG NOW." Watching a lot of TEA prog and seeing people limp into BJ/CC or Wormhole or Exatrine and it quickly becomes Phase 2 / Wormhole / Clear prog despite another 20-30 pulls of previous phase prog to clean up to even get there again.

I pretty much only ever do any content with my static so most my observations are basically just the reactions here and on reddit so my take is mostly not really my take, I guess? So take it all with a grain of salt.
I formed my static because I was tired of all the PF crap. The way you always needed at least several pulls, if not the entire raid night to get everyone in a PF up to speed and on the same page just felt like a waste of time because you have to repeat the process every time you open a new session. Sure, I was probably helping people learn and that's nice, but it also meant I was stuck in conflag phase in T5 for months.

As for the strategy thing, it's amazing how some people can be good at their own strategies but be completely unwilling to adapt to suit the group. Someone I knew once joined a clear party (something like A7S) mostly made up of a bunch of hardcore players from different statics. Like, people who all parsed very high on fflogs and went for server first clears. Stuff like that. We had all cleared the content with our respective statics, and this was just a simple clear run. I was interested in how this would go because I wanted to see how good these players were since we weren't that hardcore ourselves.

It was a complete shitshow. The party wiped for hours and eventually disbanded because all the hardcore types insisted on doing their own static's strategy and didn't care what anyone else thought. There was either not enough or no adapting to anyone else because either they thought those strategies were bad, or they thought they were better than us because we were "casual" to them or something. It was quite eye opening to see how some people could be so good in their respective statics and yet so awful at cooperating with others.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for some advice from other Dragoons on this. I really like this job, but I feel like I've hit a wall.

Dragoon main here! DRG has a pretty set rotation that begins to come into its own around 70. At 80 is of course when you have the full kit. I recommend reading through this guide: Saving The Dragoon by Eve Malqir.

Particularly look at the Basic Rotation and The Opener sections. The Opener is the full standard opening rotation with OGCDs.

Edit: The guide I linked is for level 80, so not all of it will be applicable to you yet. But the gist for level 70 is, you want to activate Mirage Dive as soon as possible and then use Nastrond when you have close to 30 seconds available on it. At 80, this changes so when you use Nastrond, it automatically gives you the full 30 seconds upon activation.

Last edited:

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
But when I got Mirage Dive, I began to worry. Then I got to 70, and now the job feels so chaotic to me. I have no idea in which order I should use my OGCDs to get the optimal uptime on Life of the Dragon and make sure I get three Nastronds off. The rotation went from having a nice flow, to being a bit chaotic (for a scrub like myself).

As a general rule I follow, always put on BotD before or as the fight begins and use your damage buff oGCDs first, then weave Jump, Mirage Dive, Gierskogul, and the other jumps. Upon your second Gierskogul your LotD should activate. Your priority is the same though. Weave Nastrond in and hit your other oGCDs as they pop. You'll have plenty of time to use all your Nastronds. The job plays essentially the same at 80 as well but with an added jump and dual finishers, and True Thrust transforms into a more powerful combo starter.

Taking full advantage of DRG's mobility for maximum uptime is the other side of mastering the job. Occasionally you will have one of your jumps up to use as a gap closer, but since you're using them in your rotation they aren't always available when you need to close distance. So you use Elusive Jump. You're gonna need to practice with it to get the aiming right. Every DRG has backflipped off a ledge or into an AoE at least a few times.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
So you use Elusive Jump. You're gonna need to practice with it to get the aiming right. Every DRG has backflipped off a ledge or into an AoE at least a few times.
It's a rite of passage.

But yeah, start practicing using Elusive Jump. Shadowbringers made me really start to use it pretty regularly.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
^

The key is to know when to save your jumps for when you need to gap close quickly. Eden 1 is a pretty good example.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
^

The key is to know when to save your jumps for when you need to gap close quickly. Eden 1 is a pretty good example.
E1S is perfect cuz Eden moves right when your Spineshatter comes off cooldown. E4S is alright cuz you can sit on your Stardiver for a little bit on Titan's knockback, but I'm not happy sitting on some decently potent abilities to gap close during potential burst while almost everybody else can just gap close with next to no issues affecting their dps.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017

Sadly, I see what you mean. I cleared e4s about 18 times and I haven't done it since. I have weapons to get for other jobs but I settled for tome versions and I picked up wow for a bit. With this new patch bringing better gear anyway, I am sure people at this point are burned out.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
I've taken up tanking not only because faster queue times but for more control on team wide damage taken. It's gotten better with this expansion as now I don't have to worry as much about aggro levels during tankswaps. Now if only that Seiryu dog dropped...

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
"I really need to start making back some of the Gil I spent on my house" I say, as I'm dropping 800K on a new hairstyle...

I am starting to sell off a lot of the Materia I've been saving up from doing Hunt Trains regularly, though. Prices have skyrocketed now that it's near the next patch/Raid tier and people are starting to renew their subs again.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
"I really need to start making back some of the Gil I spent on my house" I say, as I'm dropping 800K on a new hairstyle...

I am starting to sell off a lot of the Materia I've been saving up from doing Hunt Trains regularly, though. Prices have skyrocketed now that it's near the next patch/Raid tier and people are starting to renew their subs again.

What Materia are good to sell right now?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown

I am also trying to cash in on that materia market, I'm finally back up to 4 mil after my house purchase, which is still pretty broke

For me, it's much more like "I really need to start making back some of the Gil I spent on my house so I can actually furnish the house". It's not like I have anything else to spend GIl on besides glams. Last big gameplay related gil purchase was a set of crafted gear right before 5.0 (I finally finished 4.0 like a 2 weeks before 5.0 dropped, I needed to get my ilvl up to do Castrum Fluminis and I sure as hell wasn't going to grind out endgame tomes that would be useless in 2 weeks, so I bought the minimum amount of gear that got me over the min ilvl and then bought Scaevan with Poetics first thing after 5.0 maintenance ended). I'm not trying to save up for a large, because I honestly wouldn't know what to do with all that space even if I could get one (maybe if I was sharing the house with a partner or group of friends, but it's just me) and I really like the plot I'm at now (Lav Beds 16/46). There's nothing for me to really save up for anymore, but still I have the saving mindset and it feels bad to splurge on glams or house shit.

What Materia are good to sell right now?
Savage Aim and Heavens' Eye were the most expensive combat materia VIIIs when I put my last batch up for sale, but I'd just check the MB before selling, there's only 7 combat materias to check through. Crafter and gatherer materias are almost always going for a higher price than combat materias, if you have any of those you want to offload

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I am also trying to cash in on that materia market, I'm finally back up to 4 mil after my house purchase, which is still pretty broke

For me, it's much more like "I really need to start making back some of the Gil I spent on my house so I can actually furnish the house". It's not like I have anything else to spend GIl on besides glams. Last big gameplay related gil purchase was a set of crafted gear right before 5.0 (I finally finished 4.0 like a 2 weeks before 5.0 dropped, I needed to get my ilvl up to do Castrum Fluminis and I sure as hell wasn't going to grind out endgame tomes that would be useless in 2 weeks, so I bought the minimum amount of gear that got me over the min ilvl and then bought Scaevan with Poetics first thing after 5.0 maintenance ended). I'm not trying to save up for a large, because I honestly wouldn't know what to do with all that space even if I could get one (maybe if I was sharing the house with a partner or group of friends, but it's just me) and I really like the plot I'm at now (Lav Beds 16/46). There's nothing for me to really save up for anymore, but still I have the saving mindset and it feels bad to splurge on glams or house shit.

Savage Aim and Heavens' Eye were the most expensive combat materia VIIIs when I put my last batch up for sale, but I'd just check the MB before selling, there's only 7 combat materias to check through. Crafter and gatherer materias are almost always going for a higher price than combat materias, if you have any of those you want to offload

Oh wow I haven't even heard of these, I never dabbed into the endgame and don't plan to. I was more thinking of the general Materia of Magic VIII and such.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Oh wow I haven't even heard of these, I never dabbed into the endgame and don't plan to. I was more thinking of the general Materia of Magic VIII and such.
Are you talking about the main stat Materias (Int/Mind/Strength/Dex/Vitality)? Those were discontinued and only go up to VI, you should either transmute them or just sell them for the low amount of gil you can get for them.

There's a decent chance you already have some of the secondary stat Materias that are still being used. It's not an endgame exclusive thing, although the ones fetching high prices/the ones me and antitrop are talking about (VIIs and VIIIs) are the endgame ones. It's not like, super hardcore endgame stuff though, they're not hard to get, I don't do current Savage/EX and I have quite a lot of Materia VIIIs

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I never dabbed into the endgame and don't plan to.
I said the same thing once... now I spend all my time leveling alt jobs, doing Hunt Trains, collecting minions/mounts/glamour, micromanaging Retainers, Savage raiding, getting married, buying a house, decorating the house, AFKing in Limsa, and just generally engaging in the more social aspects of it. This game just continually annihilates my expectations of what I would actually enjoy doing in it. It's been a weird and wonderful journey. FFXIV endgame has been the best gaming experience of my entire life.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared e3s in just a few attempts after logging in today. Keeping LB3 right to the end for DPS and being able to use Final Heaven to get that last chunk off the boss' HP is a great feeling in Savage raids.

I basically stumbled into over 20 million gil over the past two weeks just by selling all the excess materia from hunt trains and roulettes, along with selling the craft mats you can buy with goetia tomestones.

Spent around half on glams and buying beachfront property in Shirogane, saving the rest for crafted gear when 5.2 hits.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Are you talking about the main stat Materias (Int/Mind/Strength/Dex/Vitality)? Those were discontinued and only go up to VI, you should either transmute them or just sell them for the low amount of gil you can get for them.

There's a decent chance you already have some of the secondary stat Materias that are still being used. It's not an endgame exclusive thing, although the ones fetching high prices/the ones me and antitrop are talking about (VIIs and VIIIs) are the endgame ones. It's not like, super hardcore endgame stuff though, they're not hard to get, I don't do current Savage/EX and I have quite a lot of Materia VIIIs
Heaven's Eye is always the highest price most of the time. It's 29-30k a piece right now in Tonberry.

Also crafting and gathering VIII materia as it's harder to get --- from Wondrous Tails or White Scrip.

Nevernind, I got loads of VII materia not VIII, the whole thing with Eden made me have VIII stuck in my head somehow and I mixed that up sorry. Yeah I saw VIIs don't sell for much.

I said the same thing once... now I spend all my time leveling alt jobs, doing Hunt Trains, collecting minions/mounts/glamour, micromanaging Retainers, Savage raiding, getting married, buying a house, decorating the house, AFKing in Limsa, and just generally engaging in the more social aspects of it. This game just continually annihilates my expectations of what I would actually enjoy doing in it. It's been a weird and wonderful journey. FFXIV endgame has been the best gaming experience of my entire life.

I'm seriously super happy to hear all that! :D

I guess I should explain my stance, it's not that I don't do endgame stuff, I just don't do it while it's relevant and just do it when new things are out, heck I finished Shadowbringers half a year after I bought it! :P
That's tied to my history with FFXIV and I guess I can explain my "story". I love Final Fantasy as a whole, my first one was VIII followed by VII, then IX, X and X-2. XIII's series I never got into because my PS3 HDD died when I was halfway through the game and I somehow never really could go back to the old ones because after starting with VIII they kind of felt weird to me despite me not having issues playing other SNES RPGs like Lufia II.

With all that I was anxiously awaiting the release of FFXIV 1.0 and when it came out I bought it and liked what I could play and I bought it fully well knowing that I couldn't play more than a month because 1.0 didn't have Pre-paid cards and with me still being a teen back then I had no means to pay for it but I didn't care about that. I played free-weekends and whatnot and when the whole thing with ARR happened I was super happy to know the game will be saved, this time with Pre-paid cards even! At the same time I was introduced to a new circle of real-life friends and found out that one of them and his girlfriend played 1.0 till the bitter end with all jobs maxed and were awaiting ARR too!

We played all beta tests together and come release we played together on and off, raided Crystal Tower when it was still new and looked forward to Heavensward. During that time they met a progress FC and we moved from Ragnarok to Phoenix for them at expansion release. They were all super nice people but very progress oriented and FFXIV is basically more or less the only game they play seriously. I'm not like that and I needed my on and off phases from the game since no matter how much I love a game I need a change of pace every now and then.

I should also say that I don't really enjoy TAB-Target MMOs and that I always bail out of games when they start to feel like "work". And I especially didn't want that to happen with a game I love as dearly as I do FFXIV since the world, the characters, the story, my characters, the experiences I made there and still make, it made me finally understand the people that were always that crazy about WoW which left me largely cold, FFXIV ARR was my WoW moment so to speak!

But sadly things didn't stay that happy, eventually my friend and his girlfriend broke up half a year after Heavensward and he stopped playing the game entirely. She stuck with it and I stayed in the FC too, I played a few times with her and tried to deepen my bond with the FC but in truth ever since then I started to feel out of place in the FC. They are all super friendly and helpful and craft me things but I feel I can't really do anything with them together. Yet I also would feel bad about leaving because I owe them alot.

And none of my other friends are into FFXIV so I've been playing by myself since then which is an amazing feat for me as I generally drop out of MMOs after a month at most when I have nobody to play with, I guess that speaks volumes about how much I love this game despite not even liking its TAB-Target nature. That's exactly the reason why I don't want to do endgame-endgame while it's still relevant, I like to go at my own pace if I play by myself and don't want to ruin my love for the game with grinding, or obsessing over Savage/Extreme content etc.

That would maybe change if I had others to play with again but taking my current amount of friends and real-life into account I don't have space and time to have any more friends in a way I feel I would do a friendship justice right now. And the game, well iIt's ultimately a casual safe-haven for me I like to visit every few months and catch up and just enjoy my time with it :)

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
I'm getting some HARD Shin Megami Tensei vibes from Shadowbringers. Right now in Eulmore. Damnnnn.

This is SO good.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I guess I should explain my stance, it's not that I don't do endgame stuff, I just don't do it while it's relevant and just do it when new things are out, heck I finished Shadowbringers half a year after I bought it! :P

Same lol. Mostly because I like to chill and do things at my own pace.

I really like some of the bosses, dungeons, raids and what not in this game but the player base takes a sharp ass left turn when the bosses are new. I get that the gear being of level makes there no room for big errors and what not but geezuz. The people running around Titania, Eden Savage and what not really just made me say no thank you to it all.

"watch a vid, read the documentations, gear above what it drops, practice it with people not us, THEN! come join our group for a single clear"

My current FC was a bit disappointed that I refuse to tank these things with them because of it but generally they understand my reasoning. I just wanna have fun when I play and no be stressed even if it wasn't a mistake I made, I don't like seeing a group get frustrated for any random reason. Doing Eden and the other raids blind made them 100% more enjoyable personally and once I realized that I stopped watching vids on stuff unless I was truly stumped by something. (also because mechanics generally arn't that confusing)

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Got Naughty Nanka minion from Hullbreaker Isle and I just willy nilly activated it. Didn't know this one is pretty rare, damn. Should've just sell it.
I'm getting some HARD Shin Megami Tensei vibes from Shadowbringers. Right now in Eulmore. Damnnnn.

This is SO good.
Good choice. I feel like I made a mistake choosing to meet with Alisae first.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Same lol. Mostly because I like to chill and do things at my own pace.

I really like some of the bosses, dungeons, raids and what not in this game but the player base takes a sharp ass left turn when the bosses are new. I get that the gear being of level makes there no room for big errors and what not but geezuz. The people running around Titania, Eden Savage and what not really just made me say no thank you to it all.

"watch a vid, read the documentations, gear above what it drops, practice it with people not us, THEN! come join our group for a single clear"

My current FC was a bit disappointed that I refuse to tank these things with them because of it but generally they understand my reasoning. I just wanna have fun when I play and no be stressed even if it wasn't a mistake I made, I don't like seeing a group get frustrated for any random reason. Doing Eden and the other raids blind made them 100% more enjoyable personally and once I realized that I stopped watching vids on stuff unless I was truly stumped by something. (also because mechanics generally arn't that confusing)

Oh wow I'm super happy to hear I'm not alone with that! Yeah exactly, like said I might feel different about it doing bleeding-edge content with close friends as then I know everyone will be chill about it no matter what but this whole watch videos and learn thing isn't why I play MMOs, it's not for the challenge and all but for the world, story, experience and social-aspect. Good that your FC understands that too. I mean if I want to challenge myself I look more at Rocket League, Fighting Games or MOBAs really.

And yeah doing things blind at ease is super fun! Copied Factory was nice to explore knowing NieR Automata and the first Eden fight and especially Eden Leviathan was super fun also mechanically! I didn't die even once and the music and all got me pumped.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
One week to go! I feel like maybe I should have used a few of my vacation days since we're getting quite a bit of new content all at once, but it's too late for that now. Hope I have enough spare time on day one to at least get through Eden.

Oh wow I'm super happy to hear I'm not alone with that! Yeah exactly, like said I might feel different about it doing bleeding-edge content with close friends as then I know everyone will be chill about it no matter what but this whole watch videos and learn thing isn't why I play MMOs, it's not for the challenge and all but for the world, story, experience and social-aspect. Good that your FC understands that too. I mean if I want to challenge myself I look more at Rocket League, Fighting Games or MOBAs really.

And yeah doing things blind at ease is super fun! Copied Factory was nice to explore knowing NieR Automata and the first Eden fight and especially Eden Leviathan was super fun also mechanically! I didn't die even once and the music and all got me pumped.
Doing raids, not Savage difficulty, blind as soon as they launch is a pretty happy medium between chill at-your-own-pace play and the hardcore raiding scene. Day one parties, whether an FC group or Duty Finder, for raids will probably have a handful of wipes from learning mechanics, but no one really stresses about it and you're gonna clear that boss after a few tries without any salt or people abandoning the group. And it's quite a bit of fun to learn content with a bunch of people who are also learning it at the same time you are.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
One week to go! I feel like maybe I should have used a few of my vacation days since we're getting quite a bit of new content all at once, but it's too late for that now. Hope I have enough spare time on day one to at least get through Eden.

Doing raids, not Savage difficulty, blind as soon as they launch is a pretty happy medium between chill at-your-own-pace play and the hardcore raiding scene. Day one parties, whether an FC group or Duty Finder, for raids will probably have a handful of wipes from learning mechanics, but no one really stresses about it and you're gonna clear that boss after a few tries without any salt or people abandoning the group. And it's quite a bit of fun to learn content with a bunch of people who are also learning it at the same time you are.

Hmm I guess I might try it when the next primals come, since it isn't Savage I can see people generally being more relaxed about it and I'm not one to rage at wipes atleast.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Pot of Scree is top tier mount

R7US6HuQOid6OHvrW5Ax5eAG0g.jpg

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Here's hoping that viera get new hairstyles, but might as well keep my expectations low so I won't be too disappointed when it doesn't happen.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Tomestone gear:

Crafted gear:

I can't say I'm a fan of any of the gear this patch. They really need a new gear designer. None of the Shadowbringers gear is very good looking.
Personally I find both to look great, crafted has a steampunk-vibe to it. I like!
I agree ShB has been lacking in terms of gear design though.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
The new Eden gear is aces so I'm happy. Easily the best of the new sets this patch. But then again I'm mainly a DRG/GNB/SAM player...

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
So I haven't done any Shadowbringers raids since finishing the MSQ, which one should I start with? I'm confused as I haven't done a single raid in FFXIV.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
So I haven't done any Shadowbringers raids since finishing the MSQ, which one should I start with? I'm confused as I haven't done a single raid in FFXIV.
Play Eden 1-4 Normal. The starting quest is called "In the Middle of Nowhere" in the Crystarium.

But also, does that mean you didn't do the Crystal Tower alliance raids before doing ShB MSQ? You really should have done that before, but there's no better time than the present

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

You really need to do the Crystal Tower raids from ARR. They're very important to the Shadowbringers story. You probably want to do the first four Eden raids this week, too, so you can unlock E5-E8 next week.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Play Eden 1-4 Normal. The starting quest is called "In the Middle of Nowhere" in the Crystarium.

But also, does that mean you didn't do the Crystal Tower alliance raids before doing ShB MSQ? You really should have done that before, but there's no better time than the present
You really need to do the Crystal Tower raids from ARR. They're very important to the Shadowbringers story. You probably want to do the first four Eden raids this week, too, so you can unlock E5-E8 next week.

I kept hearing about them, but I just never found a group to do it with, I figured I'd play the newer raids to easily find a raiding group.
I'll do Eden first then go back to the Crystal tower raid.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
If you have any interest in the Shadowbringers relic weapon, you need to do the Ivalice raids before 5.25. You have to finish the Return to Ivalice story before you can even start the relic quest because the story for the Shadowbringers relic quests is a sequel to Return to Ivalice.

Status
Not open for further replies.