• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Today's the day where I'm gonna try out The Feast for the first time, I can't wait to be the target of salt. Cuz PvP is srs bsns

edit: ok that was actually a lot of fun, I'm gonna do it some more :D

Last edited:

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I hate Pagos. Got to 27.5 yesterday, mostly through the challenge log in Anemos. Jumping from Anemos to Pagos just made me realized how less fun the latter is to explore. I understand that they wanted to make it more like FFXI - dangerous, mobs aggroing to different things like sound (even more than in Anemos), one way drops, but uh. Just walking around is a huge pain.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
As a general rule you wanna use it on cooldown with 3 sen provided you're not overcapping on Kenki, but there's some fight-specific optimization beyond that regarding boss jumps and buff timings.

But what would make me wanna use it to gain Kenki when I can use Setsugekka instead? After Setsugekka I usually use Meikyo for another Setsugekka. But I guess I could use Meikyo to instantly gain a ton of Kenki. But how much better is it to use other Hissatsu techniques than just using Kaiten + Setsugekka?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Made it to enrage in V9s. I hate the mechanics during that DPS check. The DPS all got hit by the water once, but we all still got the instant death.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
But what would make me wanna use it to gain Kenki when I can use Setsugekka instead? After Setsugekka I usually use Meikyo for another Setsugekka. But I guess I could use Meikyo to instantly gain a ton of Kenki. But how much better is it to use other Hissatsu techniques than just using Kaiten + Setsugekka?

Midare Setsugekka is the worst use of your meter. Getting to spend it on more Shinten, as you will through Hagakure use, is better.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Crafting question. All my crafts are 63-67 with one @ 70. Should I start building yellow crips with my weekly on the lvl 70 character or should I keep getting red's so that I can keep buying the recipe books? I've only gotten III, and IV for all crafts. Have 3 or 4 of the V ones.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Crafting question. All my crafts are 63-67 with one @ 70. Should I start building yellow crips with my weekly on the lvl 70 character or should I keep getting red's so that I can keep buying the recipe books? I've only gotten III, and IV for all crafts. Have 3 or 4 of the V ones.
Do you mean the custom deliveries? I would do that with the lv 70 class, you'll get both red and yellow scrips.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Oh damn. So the only time I should even be using Setsugekka is if Hagakure isn't available yet?
Or if there's a phase switch coming with a fair amount of time so that you can meditate and the additional Kenki would be wasted if you used Hagakure, in which case quick dumping right before the switch is better.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Knocked out o10s in two pulls, meme'd in o11 for a bit today. Bit of a reverse from last week. Buuuuuuut I think overall, re-clearing the first several floors seems a lot easier than it used to be back in Creator/Deltascape. Different groups so hard to say for sure I suppose.

Also dabbed a little into o12s since we knocked out the other three fast. Hit enrage agaaaaaaaaaaain. I'm so demoralised at this point xD

Mature

Oct 25, 2017
I am just rolling single digits today...

Last week was hell for me trying to get Lens from O11 (as its 380 bis for bard I have to have it) I run from 11amish to probably 5pm nonstop. The only positive thing about the neverending runs (well what kept me going) was I'm farming tank mounts so I piled on the runs (clocked like 15 of them)

I got my Lens with a 73 roll after rolling -40 for hours :I

Now I just need +1 Spring for legs bis 380 (I could use genesis ones but I'm saving tomes) and I'm done with Omega. I'll probably run a few more to just complete the Aiming set and keep for glam.

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I still don't understand why I am sometimes just seem to die in Alphascape v4 normal. I have done it enough times now, I know what is happening. I mean I do all the mechanics, I never stand in shit. It's mostly when we need to stack up. Maybe it's because not enough ppl stack up and since I am the healer I die if I am not 100% full, idk. It's always at the phase with the eye, when M and F split up and you get the debuff when shit goes wrong.
I should start to record my runs... it's puzzling to me.

Also how is an AST doing 7k DPS in a 6 minute fight with also 8k HPS being the second highest damage dealer in the 8 man party? I just had this happen in a PUG... according to ACT.

Last edited:

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand why I am sometimes just seem to die in Alphascape v4 normal. I have done it enough times now, I know what is happening. I mean I do all the mechanics, I never stand in shit. It's mostly when we need to stack up. Maybe it's because not enough ppl stack up and since I am the healer I die if I am not 100% full, idk. It's always at the phase with the eye, when M and F split up and you get the debuff when shit goes wrong.

Also how is an AST doing 7k DPS in a 6 minute fight with also 8k HPS being the second highest damage dealer in the 8 man party? I just had this happen in a PUG... according to ACT.

If you upload your log FFlogs it will tell you why you died. Maybe try that, you can post it as private so no one else can see it if the death thing is all you are worried about.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got SAM to 70. Besides gearing everyone up, I don't know what to do anymore. I've been considering tanking but I don't know the first thing about it really. What should I know? I'll probably go PLD.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Made it to enrage in V9s. I hate the mechanics during that DPS check. The DPS all got hit by the water once, but we all still got the instant death.
Stack in the middle after knockbacks go off and make sure your healers are topping everyone off. We have cleared without a single death during enrage phase by doing that.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

O11N is weird in act cuz it counts jammer damage to fists.

Dammit accidentally double posted

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, that would explain it!

One more question: as a healer would a ilvl 380 item without crit be (generally) considered a downgrade to one with ilvl 370 and crit?
Depends. But generally try and go with the option with crit(there are 2 different 380 gear sets, so go with the 380 with crit).

For example, tome healer pants are awful so I am sticking with the 380 pants until the raid pants drop.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I finally got SAM to 70. Besides gearing everyone up, I don't know what to do anymore. I've been considering tanking but I don't know the first thing about it really. What should I know? I'll probably go PLD.
Go WAR, that's what I started with and I enjoy it at high levels much more than PLD.

Oct 25, 2017

The mid-fight orb thing? Make sure you guys don't have shields on going into it. The drop-to-1-hp mechanic doesn't remove shields, for whatever reason, and since the 'you have to die' debuff also decreases the amount of damage you take having a full-strength shield up for the water explosions can prevent them from 'killing' you and cleansing the debuff.

Oh, that would explain it!

One more question: as a healer would a ilvl 380 item without crit be (generally) considered a downgrade to one with ilvl 370 and crit?

In general, no.

Healer gearing is weird as hell and you have a lot of wiggle room, but a lot will come down to the item and what you intend to do--left side pieces give you main stat AND Vitality AND Defense and Magic Defense and that can make a huge difference. You can care about secondaries more on the right side than the left, but in general even for healers iLevel is a decently noteworthy deal.

There are exceptions and healer iLevel in specific can get weird (you can BiS AST/WHM this tier without touching 12S if you want because the tome weapons are actually superior to Omega in most gearing configs; pentamelded crafted jewelry can give i400 a run for its money in some situations), but the presence of crit on a lower-level piece isn't sufficient reason to pick it over the higher iLevel one all on its own in early gearing.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
But axes are ickyyy. Is PLD just boring to play at 70? I don't really plan on doing really hard content with anything but my main (WHM).

Well, to each their own on playstyles? But personally, PLD is the worst tank to play in dungeons since you just don't really have something impactful or different for big pulls outside of getting to Hallowed; WAR at least has IR to dump into a big pull or DRK Quietus + Abyssal Drain loops. If you don't plan to raid / optimize, a lot of PLD's bigger issues kind of fade away since it's all their "This feels gross" is basically down to a bad cooldown rotation (3m Sentinel in a world with 60-90-120s boss rotations is a really awkward thing) and that their DPS rotation is really frustrating to keep lined up properly. Doubly so this tier with a lot of tank mobility moments that makes Requiescat windows a shitshow.

If most of that means nothing to you, then seriously just play whatever you think is fun / looks cool. It won't matter for basically any content and it's more important to have fun in whatever you're doing. And if you do end up wanting to raid on it, WAR+PLD still ends up being the more desirable arrangement for tanks anyway.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
So I just started this. I'm around level 21 now. Everything is very rote at this point. It's a solid mmorpg that streamlines a lot of the normal garbage but I feel like it doesn't do a bunch that's new. The quests are especially pretty garbage. What is the big draw for this game for those who have been playing for a while?

Yes, the quests are generally awful especially in ARR. I suffer through them because the gameplay is fun, and the fights are generally great. Also I don't know of another MMO with this high level of production and presentation. And the music is great also.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
So I just started this. I'm around level 21 now. Everything is very rote at this point. It's a solid mmorpg that streamlines a lot of the normal garbage but I feel like it doesn't do a bunch that's new. The quests are especially pretty garbage. What is the big draw for this game for those who have been playing for a while?

Gathering and crafting are relaxing to me.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Knocked out o10s in two pulls, meme'd in o11 for a bit today. Bit of a reverse from last week. Buuuuuuut I think overall, re-clearing the first several floors seems a lot easier than it used to be back in Creator/Deltascape. Different groups so hard to say for sure I suppose.

Also dabbed a little into o12s since we knocked out the other three fast. Hit enrage agaaaaaaaaaaain. I'm so demoralised at this point xD

My group meme'd all day on O9S-O11S. Got a 10% wipe that just made everyone salty. Ended up spending an entire lockout and then clearing within two pulls of the second.

DPS aren't an issue its just 3/4th the DPS in our raid group (incl me) are mechanically challenged at times.

Not looking forward to Hello, World.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Crafting advice.
I just got to level 70 with my first and the rest are 63-67. I just got my first yellow scrips. Advice on what to do with this? There are tools and equip that are slightly better than the most expensive HQ lvl 70 stuff but have no slots. So technically the market stuff can be better but all the HQ pieces are $$$$$$$$. Keep pushing my crafters to 70 and make my own stuff. Keep up slow and steady? Thanks for any tips.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Crafting advice.
I just got to level 70 with my first and the rest are 63-67. I just got my first yellow scrips. Advice on what to do with this? There are tools and equip that are slightly better than the most expensive HQ lvl 70 stuff but have no slots. So technically the market stuff can be better but all the HQ pieces are $$$$$$$$. Keep pushing my crafters to 70 and make my own stuff. Keep up slow and steady? Thanks for any tips.
I'd use them to buy kingcrafts to make the green lv 70 set, materia VI's, and MH/OH crafting weapons but it really depends on what your goals are. If you just need some Gil right now, you can sell the materia right now to people late on their melds. Control materia on Ultros is still something like 180k a piece. If youre just lving all the classes to 70, i'd go for the weapons first, then the kingcrafts for the set, then materia. If you want to craft high end stuff now or relatively soon, i'd go for the Kingcrafts, then gather the other mats required, and find someone to make the set for me.

If youre in the Ultros era fc i can craft the set for you if you get me the kingcrafts, tome mats, and Namazu sap.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Just finished
Castrum Abania
and it was a pretty fun, if not lackluster, dungeon. Only about ten quests or so left in 4.0. I have no idea what I want to do when that's finished. My AST is about half a bar away from level 70. She will be my first character at cap. I kind of want to mess around with other jobs--my RDM is at 66, my SCH is at 66, my NIN and SAM are at 62. Maybe level a tank. Level my crafters / gatherers. Buy a house before everyone returns for 5.0. Hit 10 / 100 million gil. Get the Goddess of Magic title...who knows!

Will post overall impressions of 4.0 when I finish in another day or so!

scy

Oct 25, 2017
It finally died.

fN1nkgv.jpg

Last edited:

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I'd use them to buy kingcrafts to make the green lv 70 set, materia VI's, and MH/OH crafting weapons but it really depends on what your goals are. If you just need some Gil right now, you can sell the materia right now to people late on their melds. Control materia on Ultros is still something like 180k a piece. If youre just lving all the classes to 70, i'd go for the weapons first, then the kingcrafts for the set, then materia. If you want to craft high end stuff now or relatively soon, i'd go for the Kingcrafts, then gather the other mats required, and find someone to make the set for me.

If youre in the Ultros era fc i can craft the set for you if you get me the kingcrafts, tome mats, and Namazu sap.

Thanks for the input, I have to learn what those are! On Sarg.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
Bodies...everywhere!

godbless /playdead

Just a relief after all the hassles. Losing about ~5 days over the last two weeks due to unexpected missing days, internet issues, and just other "oops can't run tonight" issues. That and the maintenance on Monday :( But oh well. At least it's done now.

then we got memed for drops of BLM Weapon, Monk Chest

scy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, grats! That arena is so cool looking! How would you put this fight in comparison to Neo exdeath and God Kefka? Is it much harder? God Kefka was ridiculously easy, imo and a step down from Neo Exdeath.

Hm. I'm torn? Like, okay, O12S is a bit of a weird spot because of the length of the two separate parts. M-F is up to an 8 minute pull for a slow instance, 10:50 for Final Omega. The first half is a lot more intricate and more interesting parts with the split party and other things going on; none of them are actually completely new, mind you, but the fight feels better with the mechanics they use. Final Omega, on the other hand, feels the most reused in what you see. The most interesting parts, to me anyway, are the pacing of the tankbusters going on. There's a lot of taxing of all cooldowns at this gearing that made for some figuring out various strategies to conserve cooldowns (and then most of it goes out the window when you just get the good RNG targeting of a tankbuster and can invuln and cover basically all of them) which had some on the fly thinking. It's just ... it's just over so fast? Like, the last 'new' mechanic is 5 minutes in and it's a rehash of the one you see at the start of the fight + Rot to make positioning / routing matter. Still, I enjoyed it, even if most of my DPS-related line ups ended up being bad due to various mechanics / I'm bad.

As far as rating them, I found Neo Exdeath the weakest boss fight. The lack of an auto and that most of the fight was basically tunnel DPS, stand in a spot, that's it kind of hurts it, even from a week 1+ perspective as a healer. God Kefka at week 1+ was a lot rougher in comparison with how much of an issue Heartless Archangels were compared to Charibdis; Almagest for Neo didn't really have a good comparison but there were more frequent raid wides and the only real bad part of Neo was GC Omega. I think this tier will end up easier to repeat kills across the board simply due to how "do the dance" they are. But then again, we started weeklies this week wiping a few times in O9S because reasons so who knows. I'd say I like every fight this tier more than their counterparts but that's also mostly due to O10S not having good competition (it's interesting with the RNG nature of the tank swaps but there's essentially two intermissions of nothing happens, a kind of boring add phase, and then Hot Tail Nidhogg memes that kind of detract from the fight) and O9S gets a free win since O15 and O55 aren't even fights. O11S is if nothing else is just visually interesting which I think makes it feel more fun than O3S was, which I'd say was the other contender for best third fight of the tier; it's not actually super technical but Pantokrator 2 (PANKOREACTOR) is if nothing else visually cool to tank through. And for all the complaints to be had, M-F is easily the best door boss, though I think they could've added a minute or two to it and actually just made a five floor tier, with Final Omega getting slightly more attention as well but eh, is what it is; it's the most interesting tank cooldown rotation stuff in awhile which alone makes it fun to tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.