• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I think with world visits it'll be fine. Can just move to less populated servers, do the stuff and be done. They should give the first dungeon before they do an instanced solo trial thing though, this way even if people get stuck, they can do the dungeons. These generally worked, like roulettes and stuff.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Moving to different worlds wouldn't solve the issue at all. Instance servers are completely independent of the servers you actually play the game on, it's shared between the entire datacenter. So Raubahn/Pipin for example were broken for everyone on Primal, Aether, etc.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Moving to different worlds wouldn't solve the issue at all. Instance servers are completely independent of the servers you actually play the game on, it's shared between the entire datacenter. So Raubahn/Pipin for example were broken for everyone on Primal, Aether, etc.
When they launched the new EU servers at SB launch, you could do these first try without an issue at all, even though all the new EU servers were on the same datacenter as the older ones. I think solo instances don't use the cross server instancing. If it did, dungeons would have had the same issues but they worked a lot better(still was getting slammed especially potd).

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
No. There's no opportunity to really add a new crafting component. HW added Ironworks crafting with patch 3.3 and used the Moogle's to supply the special reagent for those synths. Much like ARR used the Ixali in patch 4.38 for the Artisan gear (ARR had the only abnormality where the bodypiece got patched in later).

For reference Stormblood added the i340 crafting set with the Namazu in patch 4.3 and we're not getting the last beast tribe quest(s) until late in the 4.5X cycle.

This is my guess. For all I know I could eat massive shit but I'm not stocking crafting supplies for the next patch.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
So, I've decided to level up Tank jobs. Right now, I'm leveling Dark Knight. (lvl 36).
Issue is, that job has quite a lot of actions, and it doesn't fit nicely into two controller crossbars (32 spots - playing with a controller), as it requires 37 spots (including all role actions, Limit Break and Sprint; granted, the "Silence" action may be removable).
I guess I could try to learn a new way to play, as it seems I'll have to switch between 3 crossbars... I am interested to see your set-up if some of you could share it.
Didn't have any issues with setting up my crossbars until now. For AST, several things aren't used all the time and can be safely placed on a remote crossbar that I don't need to access quickly with L2+R2 or vice-versa (such as the stances, the card disposal actions - which are bad, I know - , Protect). Red Mage is also quite easy to deal with as we don't need all of the role actions. But tanks... Tanks need all the actions. All are useful. Urg.
Not to mention managing to set up everything just so muscle memory can help is quite the ordeal (better to keep the same kind of abilities at the same spots).

EDIT : Nevermind. I had completely forgotten that we could access another cross by double-tapping L2 or R2 (not a fan of double-tapping, but it does the job). I'll still need to make that shit work, but it should be doable.

Last edited:

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
So, I've decided to level up Tank jobs. Right now, I'm leveling Dark Knight. (lvl 36).
Issue is, that job has quite a lot of actions, and it doesn't fit nicely into two controller crossbars (32 spots - playing with a controller), as it requires 36 spots (including all role actions and Sprint; granted, the "Silence" action may be removable).
I guess I could try to learn a new way to play, as it seems I'll have to switch between 3 crossbars... I am interested to see your set-up if some of you could share it.
Didn't have any issues with setting up my crossbars until now. For AST, several things aren't used all the time and can be safely placed on a remote crossbar that I don't need to access quickly with L2+R2 or vice-versa (such as the stances, the card disposal actions - which are bad, I know - , Protect). Red Mage is also quite easy to deal with as we don't need all of the role actions. But tanks... Tanks need all the actions. All are useful. Urg.

The silence isn't but yeah most other role actions are good for specific things. You can probably trim it down a bit, for example I'd argue that Ultimatum is really not super useful since provoke has a low enough cd, you might need it if you fuck up every now and then but that could be put on a harder to reach bar. Darkside can be put on a random bar, since you only cast it once everytime you die. Grit could be put on a separate bar since you will only stance dance when switching tanks or on boss fights, generally speaking kinda, and it's on the GCD so you have time to switch back to the bar after it.

As bad as macros usually are, you could macro Anticipation and Convalescence together since they're both weak cooldowns, so you either use both or use one with another skill(in which case a single keypress will do the job). Potentially Awareness in there too although this one has specific boss fight uses(nothing in current tier though I think). You could also drop Low Blow entirely if you don't care too much about dungeons/solo efficiency, since it doesn't do shit in raids and even in dungeons it's of limited use past the first 30 levels or whatever when you can still stun bosses.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we can try to coordinate something one night to get you through some stuff. I was just asking because we have our FC and then we are friends with another FC next door to us and both FC have a joint LS with everyone in it so there is usually quite a few people around to do stuff. Are you on tonight I can put up a PF so you can join and then I can add you to my cross server friends list.

Sorry, was doing stuff with friends last night, didn't actually log on. I can try to get on later this evening, though.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all - I have some "previous player / newbie" questions:
  1. I played the original FFXIV and then AAR for a few months until I hit level 50, but haven't played in many years. Are there ever any "welcome back" days where people can come back and try things out again for free?
  2. It looks like I missed two expansions and the third will be coming out in the summer - worth coming back now or better to wait until then? (I heard the Heavensward expansion was a particularly good storyline.)
  3. How has the game evolved over the past few years? Generally positive? Cloning WoW too much? One of the things I genuinely liked about the first version of FFXIV was how different it felt from other MMOs. I realize that it had to change to appeal to a wider audience, but has it been able to retain that "Final Fantasy" feel? (I also played FFXI for reference.)
Thanks!

Optinator

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all - I have some "previous player / newbie" questions:
  1. I played the original FFXIV and then AAR for a few months until I hit level 50, but haven't played in many years. Are there ever any "welcome back" days where people can come back and try things out again for free?
  2. It looks like I missed two expansions and the third will be coming out in the summer - worth coming back now or better to wait until then? (I heard the Heavensward expansion was a particularly good storyline.)
  3. How has the game evolved over the past few years? Generally positive? Cloning WoW too much? One of the things I genuinely liked about the first version of FFXIV was how different it felt from other MMOs. I realize that it had to change to appeal to a wider audience, but has it been able to retain that "Final Fantasy" feel? (I also played FFXI for reference.)
Thanks!
1. There are free login campaigns every few months or so, and there used to be an "invite a friend back" thing but I haven't seen that pop in quite some time.
2. When you should come back is a matter of what content you enjoy. If it's purely about the main story, there's probably only enough content to last 1-2 months, but if you're interested in side stuff, raids, etc. you can definitely get 4-5 months out of it right now.
3. The core game hasn't evolved much, if at all. Classes play differently than they did at ARR launch, with some getting more depth than others, but by and large the design is played very 'safely'. That isn't to say it's not fun; it's just more about a very polished experience rather than a fresh or exciting one.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably old news for many in here, but I've been on a break for some months and have just seen that they are splitting up the EU data centers also? That's crazy, EU already has the least players from all data centers. Some servers seem sparsely populated as is, and between patches there are already uncomfortable queue times in the data center for some content, even for a tank.
eb46c17lizy11.png
What are they thinking? I'm currently on Louisoix, which has a small/medium sized population. I fear I will enter a barren wasteland once this split happens.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I just reached 50 with AST. Am I supposed to put shields on everyone prior to a boss battle and then quickly switch back to Diurnal Sect before the fight starts?

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I just reached 50 with AST. Am I supposed to put shields on everyone prior to a boss battle and then quickly switch back to Diurnal Sect before the fight starts?
No, you pick 1 set at the start of the dungeon and stick with it.

If you're in a 8 man you pick the set that compliments your co healer; shields if you're paired with a whm, regen if they're a scholar, opposite of what the other person has if they're also a Astro.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I mean you can definitely do the sect switch prepull, I saw a bunch of people do it in Ex Suzaku. For normal content though I woudln't bother but up to you.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
No, you pick 1 set at the start of the dungeon and stick with it.

If you're in a 8 man you pick the set that compliments your co healer; shields if you're paired with a whm, regen if they're a scholar, opposite of what the other person has if they're also a Astro.

Oh that makes more sense. WHM already has regen and shields don't stack with Galvanize. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017
Sect-swapping mid dungeon is actually kind of nice once you're comfortable on AST, but it's definitely not something to do until you're comfortable on the job. Regens are stronger/more efficient than shields, so by default being in Diurnal will be the go-to, but if you can time it out it's nice to be able to flip into Noct as the last member of a trash pack dies, quickly shield the tank before they start pulling, and then switch back to Diurnal.

If the pull is slow or the tank is bad, the shield buys more time for them to finish/lock threat before you need to start healing. If you're not comfortable swapping, busy with cards, or forget, though, you risk being locked in Noct during a pull (which isn't TERRIBLE or anything but if you're already not comfortable, the wrong sect won't help.) So it's not something you should feel pressured to do, but dungeons are the content where you're most likely to switch back and forth repeatedly just because you can.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Sect-swapping mid dungeon is actually kind of nice once you're comfortable on AST, but it's definitely not something to do until you're comfortable on the job. Regens are stronger/more efficient than shields, so by default being in Diurnal will be the go-to, but if you can time it out it's nice to be able to flip into Noct as the last member of a trash pack dies, quickly shield the tank before they start pulling, and then switch back to Diurnal.

If the pull is slow or the tank is bad, the shield buys more time for them to finish/lock threat before you need to start healing. If you're not comfortable swapping, busy with cards, or forget, though, you risk being locked in Noct during a pull (which isn't TERRIBLE or anything but if you're already not comfortable, the wrong sect won't help.) So it's not something you should feel pressured to do, but dungeons are the content where you're most likely to switch back and forth repeatedly just because you can.

My only issue with it is some tanks just go in without waiting for anything. Hell, plenty still run off without a Protect. My last party actually realized what I was doing and let me shield them before the boss pull so that was nice.

Oct 25, 2017
My only issue with it is some tanks just go in without waiting for anything. Hell, plenty still run off without a Protect. My last party actually realized what I was doing and let me shield them before the boss pull so that was nice.

The sect swapping thing shouldn't require anyone waiting, is the key. You can swap out as the last target dies, drop an instant shield on the tank as he starts moving, and swap your sect back as you're running to the next pull. You'd just single-target shield the tank, which is instant and can be used while moving, and not waste MP/having to cast on an AOE party shield. Nothing in leveling dungeons really needs the party shielded.

Basically sect swapping in dungeons is only worth when you can do it without anybody else realizing you're doing it/you're basically at muscle memory stage.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah Aspected Benefic gives shields too. I just tried it in a dungeon. I suppose it gave me something more to do but it's definitely not a must.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Probably old news for many in here, but I've been on a break for some months and have just seen that they are splitting up the EU data centers also? That's crazy, EU already has the least players from all data centers. Some servers seem sparsely populated as is, and between patches there are already uncomfortable queue times in the data center for some content, even for a tank.
eb46c17lizy11.png
What are they thinking? I'm currently on Louisoix, which has a small/medium sized population. I fear I will enter a barren wasteland once this split happens.

Cerberus seems quite busy most of the time but I haven't been playing long enough to know why this will suck.

Edit: actually now I think about yeah this will likely suck especially for someone going through the early game.

Last edited:

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
It's not really an issue relating to single server population, it's the size of the data centre that matters. When you queue for content, you're matched with others from the data centre. Splitting it in half means there are half the people to be matched with. This won't be a problem for most normal content, but as a raider who sometimes has to do weekly clears of content outside of statics, it's going to be twice as difficult on any given day after Tuesday to find a party to do it with just because there'll be half as many players.

The poster's point is that it's difficult already sometimes to find parties or queue for stuff that players don't have much incentive to do - for example if you're attempting to clear a previous savage tier (that you can't unsync for) or an extreme primal for the first time it can be near impossible to get parties to fill even when though they're now "cross-world".

It is also a bit weird because the EU data centre on its own is smaller than any one of the other data centres. If it brings stability and eliminates the weird lag the servers sometimes seem to strain with in the more action-dense fights then I'm sure it's a net positive but time will tell. It has been annoying watching procs trigger late even though ping is consistently close to zero and the servers are no longer in Canada like they all used to be. But I do think they should find some other solution rather than split the data centres in half.

Also as an aside Cerberus has consistently been one of the highest population servers in EU. Until the exodus when Omega opened it's been designated a "congested world" pretty much since the pre-launch of ARR, so it's not something you'd really notice server side. If there's one thing I could do prior to the move it would be to swap Moogle for Odin, that way all the main raiding servers would be staying together. But I suppose this way there's more of a balance.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
On why it's split like this, there was a post on reddit showing the language statistics for the servers, and basically one of the new datacenter has a heavier french population(along with Moogle being the unofficial french server) while the other has a heavier german population(with Shiva being there too). The mainly english ones were split kinda evenly in the middle.

Anyway finished the Fishing sidequests stuff that someone mentioned a few days ago. Neptodragon took me a while, apparently googling it, it has a chance to escape regardless of gathering(I have 1200 so obviously not a number issue when cap back then was like 300). I caught it like 9times before it didn't escape, just at the end of a weather window too. Everything else was pretty easy and only took one window other than the lightning shroud one which took 2 windows with first being wasted because I forgot to change tackle.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I remember doing ARR big game fishing back when I needed a Lucis rod to get that 100 score rating on the second week of the fashion challenge and regretting getting the supra fishing rod because it took me 2 windows of hot weather in southern thanalan.

Grats on that achievement.

Oct 26, 2017
My goal for Tuesday is to finish MSQ and do Orbonne Monastery at least once.

Queue time for tanks is going to suck but even if it's 30 minutes long wait I should be able to get a single go in before bed.

Mariage Sorcière

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
My goal is to kill Seiiryu EX and get my last dog. After the utter hell I went through farming Suzaku I deserve to get it within the first 5 kills! >:D

It will probably take me 300+ kills again ;_;

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Don't they usually release the patch notes earlier?

I just need to know ilvl requirement since I have not upgraded my gear for a while.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Blue Mage is disappointing that's all I'm gonna say about it I've been looking forward to it since ARR came out and now it's just yuck.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh sweet the horses can fly now. Now to get to heavensward after the maintenance is done.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plenary Indulgence - Duration has been increased from 10 to 30 seconds, Enmity has been reduced.

I'm surprised it took this long.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I dread the two or three weeks it's going to take me to clear Seiryu Ex.

Man same here. I swore off Savage Raids but the EX stuff has been pretty doable. It's still a pain in the ass to learn though.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play till like 9 pm tomorrow and only for like 2 hours. I hope that's at least enough time for the MSQ.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Pretty positive patch notes, a lot of decent QOL without an abundance of UI bloat.

I do wonder how much UI transparency will make sense and how good it will look.

The MVP change is that they finally unbound the default hotbar cycle key. That thing was the bane of my existence from 2.0-3.0, I'd accidentally hit it and be completely hamstrung in a raid, not knowing what button combo cycled it back. I imagine other people also had this problem.

I'd really like for them to increase the radius at which monsters load in for players now that they're dropping 32 bit support. It'd be more immersive to see areas with more wildlife moving around, and it'd help with finding hunt bill targets.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I certainly didn't want or need White Mage buffs but

okay sure

PI needed a buff because PI as-is was incredibly hard to find good uses for. WHM threat has been an issue since 4.0, so them finally addressing that is nice especially given how NIN has become less mandatory this tier.

The rest of it is kind of shrug since it doesn't address The Problems that made people want WHM fixed in the first place/the Assize buff makes the clipping situation worse.

Most of the WHM reactions I've seen so far have just been "...okay. Nerf AST tho." since the net result isn't going to do much.

Jan 11, 2018
On why it's split like this, there was a post on reddit showing the language statistics for the servers, and basically one of the new datacenter has a heavier french population(along with Moogle being the unofficial french server) while the other has a heavier german population(with Shiva being there too). The mainly english ones were split kinda evenly in the middle.

I kind of wish they had just made an official French and an official German server and offered players who would prefer to join such a world a free transfer.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
The Plenary Indulgence and Assize buffs are great. PI almost never lasted long enough for me to use it. Thirsty seconds is more than enough.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it disappointing? I haven't kept up with it.

Can't use it in anything including squadrons which are solo content anyway and hardly anyone I know has them leveled so people would still be in the open world. And they only have 1 weapon so collecting glamour weapons is dead as well it also doesn't have any 50 content aside from whatever you can beg people to carry you through and not even a relic to help pass the time until Shadowbringers the relic may have been me expecting to much but I was looking forward to Blu and now I'm buying Tales of Vesperia remastered instead of playing Blu next week.

Also SE has a bad history of dropping support for mini games Triple Triad used to have custom rules on every npc and now it's random and chaos for almost every from the time HW came out. I used to play TT everyday for a bit and collected most of the cards played in all the tournements but then SE changed all the post ARR npcs into random and chaos so deck building is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.