• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Just had one of my favorite moments playing this game so far - popped a leveling roulette into Ifrit normal that had already had 40 minutes pass, with the tank and 2 DPS all being new and not knowing the fight. The tank was just running around in circles barely holding aggro, one DPS was afk, and the other couldn't reliably dodge the landslides AoE that knocks you off the platform amongst others. After many failed attempts and pep talks, we managed to clear it with about 4 minutes remaining. It made me feel really good helping new players beat a pretty intimidating encounter when you're new. Big smiles!
Good work!

I think Ifrit is the first time you encounter an instant death mechanic like that? I remember it throwing me for a loop when I first went into it, too. (we wiped once, then did it on the second try after someone explained what was happening.)

Vulnicura

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good work!

I think Ifrit is the first time you encounter an instant death mechanic like that? I remember it throwing me for a loop when I first went into it, too. (we wiped once, then did it on the second try after someone explained what was happening.)

Whoops I put Ifrit - I actually meant Titan!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I remember when I was new to the game a couple years ago. I always dreaded dungeons and primal fights. Every time I got to a primal fight, I always read a guide before doing it. Even on Ifrit, Titan, and Garuda Hard. I was always afraid of wiping the group and holding everyone back.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Whoops I put Ifrit - I actually meant Titan!
Oh right... I was actually thinking of the Titan fight myself, but my experience with Ifrit was very similar.

Those two were basically when I realised looking up how bosses work was necessary. (I used to just ask about it when starting.)
I remember when I was new to the game a couple years ago. I always dreaded dungeons and primal fights. Every time I got to a primal fight, I always read a guide before doing it. Even on Ifrit, Titan, and Garuda Hard. I was always afraid of wiping the group and holding everyone back.
Yeah, basically this. Reading up on the more complicated boss fights is very intimidating. It's like, "here's five paragraphs on a five minute fight".

Vulnicura

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Same here - I still do this now. I have a lot of Extreme trials yet to clear - I attempted Garuda extreme years ago and remember wiping so much my equipment broke and I had to abandon. Yikes!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, basically this. Reading up on the more complicated boss fights is very intimidating. It's like, "here's five paragraphs on a five minute fight".

I was panicking before Titan Hard. The guide made it sound like it was going to be really bad. I had up maps for landslide and the bombs and his ability rotation on my second monitor to keep track of when I did it. Of course, when I actually did it, it was pretty easy since every was way over geared for it.

whiskeystrike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I ran Minstrel's Ballad: Ultima Bane 2 nights ago and it took us about 45 mins to clear it. 7/8 people were new to the fight and the 1 dude who cleared it years ago said he couldn't remember anything. I was running PLD and so was the other tank and despite having the same left-hand gear you get from completing the level 50 job quest it was clear he hadn't done anything with his right-hand stuff (I used tomes of course). So I took up the mantle as main tank and we had to figure out how to swap aggro and back each other up which I feel neither of us had really dealt with at that point. Each time we wiped the same healer kept prompting a dismissal vote because the other healer was giving them crap and saying things like "I can't heal through this alone" (no way to report people in a duty?). But we kept trying and trying and finally persevered, each time we got a bit closer to it but eventually it dawned on us that the little balls touching was wiping us, people were figuring out how to dodge the AOE's, etc.

After the fight I tried to /tell the healer about what a great job they did but for whatever reason the message didn't go through. Still a really great experience overall and my brother who used to play a lot of WoW watched about 10 mins of it and kept remarking about how chaotic it looked and how good the visuals were compared to WoW. I wonder if that provoked something in him because he talked a lot the next day about his old raiding days.

Only thing I wish I had done differently was let the healer who was being aggressive towards the other one know that what they were doing was not acceptable and that just because they were right or more knowledgeable about the game doesn't give them the right to be such a dick. No one in the group said anything at all towards them and the healer who was getting blamed was the one who kept prompting the vote dismissal. Of course I tried to be a bit peppish and talk about how no way we could quit now after the 6th wipe and all but I think being a bit more direct could have gone a long way even if it meant risking the other healer quitting or whatever. No duty completion is worth having someone else tank the heat like that.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
I would say this is a good habit to have. Even more for Extreme fights.

I have slowly been getting into the game again and plan to do all Extreme primals before Shadowbringer. Started today with Susano and joined a group where... Me and another guy had watched a guide and the rest went in blind. It was a disaster and even though we told them what to do and it seemed like they understood they still kept failing basic mechanics. We were unable to beat him with full echo. Right after that the other guy started a new group, asked me to join and told everyone that joined to watch a guide before we went in. None of us had beaten him before and we downed him 5 times in a row with zero deaths.

So yeah please watch a video guide before going in. Usually the videos make me feel a bit scared too because it feels like tons of info but watching the mechanics before going in and see how you should react to them helps a ton even if you dont memorize it that well.

whiskeystrike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind wiping a bit to figure something out. Obviously I get if the same DPS keeps doing something like putting a DoT on someone they're not supposed to and you wipe because of it 5 times in a row that's gonna get annoying but I'm not a fan of the idea of knowing how to clear something as a prerequisite to fighting it but obviously it's different for everyone. My FC is composed mostly of people I know in real life and from other games and for the most part we're okay doing something blind.

For example the scenario I posted above, struggling to figure it out while getting closer each time is part of the fun to me.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I have slowly been getting into the game again and plan to do all Extreme primals before Shadowbringer. Started today with Susano and joined a group where... Me and another guy had watched a guide and the rest went in blind. It was a disaster and even though we told them what to do and it seemed like they understood they still kept failing basic mechanics. We were unable to beat him with full echo. Right after that the other guy started a new group, asked me to join and told everyone that joined to watch a guide before we went in. None of us had beaten him before and we downed him 5 times in a row with zero deaths.

I joined a "Clear for 1" Suzaku Ex group a few weeks ago because I needed the Second Chance point and hoped the dog would drop. I don't mind joining clear parties, especially if they've been to enrage or at least know what they're doing. But more people that had never cleared the fight sneaked in to the group. It was obvious that at least half the group had never cleared and several were new to the fight and had never even watched a video. A couple DPSs didn't know how to handle the birds at the beginning and one of the tanks didn't know how to tank the fight or how to tank swap. I was always the highest aggro DPS in the fight and I ended up tanking it a couple times after both tanks died. I finally had enough and quit the group after about 30 minutes of useless struggling. That group was never going to clear. I guess I'm just an asshole, though.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty random with primal groups.

The other day I hosted a clear party for Byakko Ex because I was bored, I've cleared it multiple times. With over half the party being new we cleared on the first pull and now those players can enter farm parties that used to lock them out. So I felt good about hosting it.

Other times I've joined farm parties that required a high ilvl and a clear and people still manage to wipe. I don't know if they were carried or what but the playerbase has such a chaotic amount of skilled vs unskilled players.

Last edited:

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally had my 1st shot at AV. Died way before the entire party wiped to enrage. Can't wait to go back in there and defeat it

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I have to be carried through everything. I'm trash!
KvanQwh.jpg

:p

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally had my 1st shot at AV. Died way before the entire party wiped to enrage. Can't wait to go back in there and defeat it
Had another attempt at AV tonight too and it was a pretty good one. Even though the MT died right as soon as we pulled, we were able to get to the add phase but we couldn't burn them down fast enough. Excited to do more AV prog.

Also fanfest is next weekend!!!

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Just announce dancer already, you know it makes sense

Can't decide whether I'd rather have it be a healer or dps

Vulnicura

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is genuinely no better feeling than playing AST with another AST in a random group and somehow perfectly coordinating all your big cooldowns. The power!

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
They will probably announce what the new high end raid will be at this fanfest. And maybe the first ultimate of the expac? So that will be exciting.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just announce dancer already, you know it makes sense

Can't decide whether I'd rather have it be a healer or dps
If they announce Dancer and it's DPS (as I've been worried about for the last few years), I will be absolutely crushed. My most wanted job in the game, but as a healer main I really, really want it for that.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
But not the news people want. There will probably be a lot of disappointed people when there are no male Viera announced next week.

I think I might be the only one who doesn't really care about Viera or new races in general.

More interested in the new job, and if we could see some new locations. New city state hopefully.

mookie1515

Oct 25, 2017
Hello all!

On a whim I purchased Stormblood from Newegg on sale and am planning to join up with you on the Ultros server. I wanted to check to see if anyone wanted to do a referral with me before I signed up for a subscription.

Thanks!

EDIT: Got one! See you all in game!

Last edited:

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Tried the final of the 24-man raid series today. Both me and my partner were new as was one of the other DPS in my alliance group.

Almost wiped on boss one, wiped a few times on boss 2 and vote abandon on Boss 3.

Didn't help that one of the other alliance healers were talking shit towards us and didn't want to wait for us to get a new tank (first tank DC'd earlier in the run after boss 1) and would talk shit when we failed stuff. We didn't really have time to talk over things after a wipe.

I don't do well with stress and mess up even more when stressed. This guy was just being an absolute dick. and urgh. Probably would have done it eventually but I just wanted out of there so I hit yes on the vote abandon when it popped up. Too stressed.

Ended up doing a quick 24-man roulette (taking off gear to make sure I get one of the CT raids) which ended up being LotA to destress from all that.

urgh.

mathematics

Oct 25, 2017
I have reached mid 30 level at the Coerthas area. Any tips on how/where to grind at this stage so I can truck through the story?

I do the Fates in the area but are there more efficient options?

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have reached mid 30 level at the Coerthas area. Any tips on how/where to grind at this stage so I can truck through the story?

I'd probably just grind levequests and dungeons. Eastern La Noscea is fine for that level. It's a bit long of a haul. Some people swear by the Palace of the Dead.

whiskeystrike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

There are optional level 35 and 38 dungeons that you should be able to take on if you visit the three main cities (basically every time you have to visit one of the 3 main cities check your map for any blue quests you haven't done yet to unlock more stuff). Doing the sidequests at each settlement is worth it until you're 3+ levels beyond them. Hopefully you're running the guildhests every 5 levels and not neglecting your hunting log. I don't think FATES are really worth it if you still have side quests in the area that are close to you in level but jumping in a fate here or there or helping people finish them is still an okay use of time.

mathematics

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably just grind levequests and dungeons. Eastern La Noscea is fine for that level. It's a bit long of a
haul. Some people swear by the Palace of the Dead.

There are optional level 35 and 38 dungeons that you should be able to take on if you visit the three main cities (basically every time you have to visit one of the 3 main cities check your map for any blue quests you haven't done yet to unlock more stuff). Doing the sidequests at each settlement is worth it until you're 3+ levels beyond them. Hopefully you're running the guildhests every 5 levels and not neglecting your hunting log. I don't think FATES are really worth it if you still have side quests in the area that are close to you in level but jumping in a fate here or there or helping people finish them is still an okay use of time.

I didn't pay attention to optional dungeons or guildhests...I'll look into those. Thank you both.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My friend plays this and wants me to get it, I got the starter for free and I'm wondering if Stormblood usually is this cheap? I know it's on sale now but I'm wondering if it's a common occurrence or rare, if it rarely goes on sale I'll buy it now.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My friend plays this and wants me to get it, I got the starter for free and I'm wondering if Stormblood usually is this cheap? I know it's on sale now but I'm wondering if it's a common occurrence or rare, if it rarely goes on sale I'll buy it now.
The collectors edition has been on sale for 50% i'd say every 2-3 months for the past year or so.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
I'm currently doing the post story ARR quests before it allows me to get to the HW content. I had been away from the game for a while until recently where I went from 30-52(currently). I want to get the StormBlood expansion, but I see ShadowBringers will include it as well. If I pre-order the ShadowBringers expansion will I need to wait until it releases so I can unlock StormBlood?

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently doing the post story ARR quests before it allows me to get to the HW content. I had been away from the game for a while until recently where I went from 30-52(currently). I want to get the StormBlood expansion, but I see ShadowBringers will include it as well. If I pre-order the ShadowBringers expansion will I need to wait until it releases so I can unlock StormBlood?
Correct, you won't get access to Stormblood until Shadowbringers launches.

Hm, I need to start clearing out my quest journal... 24/30 is kind of ugly to look at.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017

Depending on your platform and country, you might be able to get Stormblood really cheaply though. I got it for about £6 on ps4 in the UK.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
It's been on and off sale the past few months cause we're in the middle of the hype tour for the next expansion which comes out in July. It should continue going on and off sale till May/June.

They're also trying to clear out the retail copies of stormblood before the next expansion cause they roll in old expansions into the new one. So come July the sales will be over, but Shadowbringers will have Heavensward, Stormblood, and Shadowbringers for ~$30 - $40 depending on where you buy it from.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Tried the final of the 24-man raid series today. Both me and my partner were new as was one of the other DPS in my alliance group.

Almost wiped on boss one, wiped a few times on boss 2 and vote abandon on Boss 3.

Didn't help that one of the other alliance healers were talking shit towards us and didn't want to wait for us to get a new tank (first tank DC'd earlier in the run after boss 1) and would talk shit when we failed stuff. We didn't really have time to talk over things after a wipe.

I don't do well with stress and mess up even more when stressed. This guy was just being an absolute dick. and urgh. Probably would have done it eventually but I just wanted out of there so I hit yes on the vote abandon when it popped up. Too stressed.

Ended up doing a quick 24-man roulette (taking off gear to make sure I get one of the CT raids) which ended up being LotA to destress from all that.

urgh.

Yeah admittedly I don't run into toxic players that often in FFXIV, but in those cases I don't mind just leaving. Just not worth being harassed like that. Takes away any enjoyment I have from playing.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Do you guys think SE will go into their plans for endgame content outside of raids and trials (basically the relic content) in Shadowbringer next weekend at fanfest in Tokyo?

I just have this feeling that we will see some interesting stuff this expansion due to linked worlds because now they can put content out in the open world and not have to worry about lesser populated worlds.
(I know this is late but no one responded)

They'll probably dig into what the theme of the 8 man raid for Shadowbringers will be since we didn't get that at Europe fan fest. Then a recap of what they discussed in France about the 24 man Nier: Automata raid.

I don't think they'll go further. I'd have to do some digging when we found out the Deltascape Raids were going to be based upon FF5.

They may or may not bring up exploratory missions (See: Eureka, Diadem). I imagine they'll more formally announce it and again tie the next relic with it and say it'll release during the patch 5.2 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.