• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, they're giving us back a day of sub time so the 24 hour maint doesn't bother me much. Gonna play another game while I wait :P

Call me YHWH

Oct 26, 2017
The data center switch is going to be a big deal and warrants the extended downtime. Upside: when the servers come back you'll be able to world-visit your friends who haven't jumped ship to different DCs.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything unannounced that we're also likely to see in 4.57 or is it just gonna be world visit?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I just re-subbed and started a new character. I really want to give this game a fair shake this time, because my last two attempts I bounced off. My highest leveled character was only level 34 so I definitely haven't actually lost much progress.

My Husband and I are on Jenova. I'm playing a Rogue right now, I'm not 100% sure what jobs or roles I'd want to play by endgame. Machinist, Astrologian, Ninja, and Red Mage seem the most interesting to me right now.

Any tips for a total newbie?

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I just re-subbed and started a new character. I really want to give this game a fair shake this time, because my last two attempts I bounced off. My highest leveled character was only level 34 so I definitely haven't actually lost much progress.

My Husband and I are on Jenova. I'm playing a Rogue right now, I'm not 100% sure what jobs or roles I'd want to play by endgame. Machinist, Astrologian, Ninja, and Red Mage seem the most interesting to me right now.

Could you give us some information on why you bounced off? Could help us give you tips to maybe help with that. :)

The biggest tip I'd give is to focus on the Main Story and getting one job to 50. The game gives you abilities very slowly and most jobs are boring until 50 (or even 60). Lucky for you, the jobs you're interested in are largely gated behind being level 50 anyway (Machinist, Astrologian, and Red Mage) so you're not wasting time getting Ninja there first.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I feel like there should be a minimum credibility barrier to be reposted in spoilers like it might be a thing--Like, let's just take a minute to appreciate how quickly you would lose literally every even distantly serious endgame healer if you literally gave them nothing to do with their GCDs but heal. The game's difficulty curve cannot sustain a design where healers don't have DPS GCDs. There's no point in even trying to balance the healers because they would all be incredibly mind numbing and pointless to play, unless they change incoming damage to the point that they literally cut out the entire casual doesn't-ride-the-GCD population from healing entirely.

Like, we're talking about a few weeks into the tier, most healers literally doing nothing for most of the time during fights. They do this around the same time they remove jumps from Dragoons. I expect 4chan to be a constant string of low-effort fake leaks for the next couple of months, honestly, but I hope they at least try to be believable.

Maybe a bit of a hot take, but: Half the reason I like being a healer in FFXIV is because many players are so bad it keeps me on my toes even despite Yoshi having no clue what to do to make healers inherently "fun" and the other half of the reason I like being a healer is because I'm too sick of being paired with bad healers whenever I decide to play anything else.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Could you give us some information on why you bounced off? Could help us give you tips to maybe help with that. :)

The biggest tip I'd give is to focus on the Main Story and getting one job to 50. The game gives you abilities very slowly and most jobs are boring until 50 (or even 60). Lucky for you, the jobs you're interested in are largely gated behind being level 50 anyway (Machinist, Astrologian, and Red Mage) so you're not wasting time getting Ninja there first.

Sure! I bounced off for a few reasons, some silly (I didn't like the way my character looked, I couldn't find a race/aesthetics combination I liked), most mechanical.

It's going to sound weird given that my Avatar is from FFXI and I'm paying to play a game that it seems like I might not like, but to describe my issue in depth...

I'm actually really comically terrible at MMOs. I don't have the intuition or instincts with them that I do with other games. I find hotbar/cooldown based combat mechanics kind of bland, and I really don't like any of the starting classes/jobs. But I think this is just because I don't quite understand MMOs at large quite yet. I've never actually put much time into an MMO or "learned' how to play them. I've never done endgame or been a part of a serious raid. As I said, my highest level character prior to this was level 34/Archer. I played a little bit of Arcanist back when ARR Launched, but I don't think I ever quite grasped the mechanics. It really felt like both of the classes played the same because the combat at those levels really just boiled down to "mash your cooldowns and maybe proc poison/bio". Aside from aesthetics, the actual gameplay difference between the two jobs at low level didn't seem that huge so I just kind of got bored and ended up cancelling my sub.

As I mentioned before, the MMO I've played the most of is probably FFXI. There are huge aspects to that I game I fundamentally don't understand, but one thing I really appreciated about it was that every single job from the outset has completely unique functions. Playing Beastmaster I have to think about combat and actions completely differently than I do as a Dancer, for example. As a Beastmaster I'm never just pressing my DPS buttons, I'm assessing and gauging my pet's skills and my party's TP in order to make constantly different decisions. Do I charm this monster? Do I release the monster so that linked mobs leave my party alone and chase after the mob I let go? If I'm playing Dancer, I'm looking at enemy stats, deciding what to debuff, making strategic decisions about which dances to use to increase damage or drain health and support the rest of the party. That kind of dynamic decisionmaking is really cool and enjoyable to me and it's present from the start, which didn't really feel the case with my previous attempts at FF14.

So basically, I guess I just found early game kind of boring? Haha. I want to play classes that don't necessarily play like other classes. I like unique or weird mechanics, things that I need to learn and do that aren't just raw fundamentals. I really need something to dig into and learn. Now, that being said, I've actually been really enjoying my time these past few days since resubbing, but I don't know if I'm just in a honeymoon phase or not.

TL;DR: I got bored by the early game but want to give the game a fair shake this time around and am willing to get past personal discomfort if I can learn a cool or complex thing that pays off down the line.

Last edited:

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty safe to say low level combat in this game is pretty dull, but the higher you get the more off global cooldowns you get and expanded rotations that make things a lot more fun. The jobs in this game only get crazier the higher you go and there isn't that much of a drop off point.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I played a little bit of Arcanist back when ARR Launched, but I don't think I ever quite grasped the mechanics. It really felt like both of the classes played the same because the combat at those levels really just boiled down to "mash your cooldowns and maybe proc poison/bio". Aside from aesthetics, the actual gameplay difference between the two jobs at low level didn't seem that huge so I just kind of got bored and ended up cancelling my sub.

That's unfortunately kinda what Arcanist is like. You ended up picking two of the classes with the least interesting early-game movesets, I'm afraid. Some of the melee classes have a high emphasis on positioning and directional attacks, and Thief/Ninja has a kinda cool combo mechanic that helps break up the monotony, but archer and arcanist both start out agonizingly boring to play.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017

Play whatever job looks cool to you, though to unlock Machinist or Astrologian you have to enter the first expansion's content (gated by the main story quests)

Note that in July all the jobs are going to get a rework, (among general changes like getting rid of the TP bar) so some abilities you get used to may not even be around in a few months. If you are looking to get into endgame you're going to be grinding out hours upon hours of main story quests to unlock everything. It'll probably take you at least a month even skipping the cutscenes.

Remember to read your tooltips on your abilities so you know how to combo them.

Blue quests with a plus sign unlock new content such as a dungeon, minion, raid, etc. These take priority over normal sidequests. Quests that have a meteor symbol are the main story quest and should take priority above all else to continue unlocking things.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
That's unfortunately kinda what Arcanist is like. You ended up picking two of the classes with the least interesting early-game movesets, I'm afraid. Some of the melee classes have a high emphasis on positioning and directional attacks, and Thief/Ninja has a kinda cool combo mechanic that helps break up the monotony, but archer and arcanist both start out agonizingly boring to play.

This is very relieving to hear. I'm enjoying Rogue right now actually, but part of that might just be because I like the way my character looks for once and the attack animations are cool, haha.
Play whatever job looks cool to you, though to unlock Machinist or Astrologian you have to enter the first expansion's content (gated by the main story quests)

Note that in July all the jobs are going to get a rework, (among general changes like getting rid of the TP bar) so some abilities you get used to may not even be around in a few months. If you are looking to get into endgame you're going to be grinding out hours upon hours of main story quests to unlock everything. It'll probably take you at least a month even skipping the cutscenes.

Remember to read your tooltips on your abilities so you know how to combo them.

Thanks for the heads up! Astrologian and Machinist seem interesting to me because they have what looks like a lot of stuff to micromanage and their mechanics seem very different than any other classes. I'm not hugely concerned with being an uberraider/meta player, but basically any class can do the story stuff without issues right?

I'm also kinda interested in Tanking cuz it seems strategic but I have never tanked in any game ever.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Sure! I bounced off for a few reasons, some silly (I didn't like the way my character looked, I couldn't find a race/aesthetics combination I liked), most mechanical.

It's going to sound weird given that my Avatar is from FFXI and I'm paying to play a game that it seems like I might not like, but to describe my issue in depth...

I'm actually really comically terrible at MMOs. I don't have the intuition or instincts with them that I do with other games. I find hotbar/cooldown based combat mechanics kind of bland, and I really don't like any of the starting classes/jobs. But I think this is just because I don't quite understand MMOs at large quite yet. I've never actually put much time into an MMO or "learned' how to play them. I've never done endgame or been a part of a serious raid. As I said, my highest level character prior to this was level 34/Archer. I played a little bit of Arcanist back when ARR Launched, but I don't think I ever quite grasped the mechanics. It really felt like both of the classes played the same because the combat at those levels really just boiled down to "mash your cooldowns and maybe proc poison/bio". Aside from aesthetics, the actual gameplay difference between the two jobs at low level didn't seem that huge so I just kind of got bored and ended up cancelling my sub.

As I mentioned before, the MMO I've played the most of is probably FFXI. There are huge aspects to that I game I fundamentally don't understand, but one thing I really appreciated about it was that every single job from the outset has completely unique functions. Playing Beastmaster I have to think about combat and actions completely differently than I do as a Dancer, for example. As a Beastmaster I'm never just pressing my DPS buttons, I'm assessing and gauging my pet's skills and my party's TP in order to make constantly different decisions. Do I charm this monster? Do I release the monster so that linked mobs leave my party alone and chase after the mob I let go? If I'm playing Dancer, I'm looking at enemy stats, deciding what to debuff, making strategic decisions about which dances to use to increase damage or drain health and support the rest of the party. That kind of dynamic decisionmaking is really cool and enjoyable to me and it's present from the start, which didn't really feel the case with my previous attempts at FF14.

So basically, I guess I just found early game kind of boring? Haha. I want to play classes that don't necessarily play like other classes. I like unique or weird mechanics, things that I need to learn and do that aren't just raw fundamentals. I really need something to dig into and learn. Now, that being said, I've actually been really enjoying my time these past few days since resubbing, but I don't know if I'm just in a honeymoon phase or not.

TL;DR: I got bored by the early game but want to give the game a fair shake this time around and am willing to get past personal discomfort if I can learn a cool or complex thing that pays off down the line.

In my experience, job distinctions settle in around level 50. If you want weird jobs that require you to do a lot of decision making, Machinist and Ninja are good choices, and you already have both on your list so that's good. Red Mage is very simple, but has a lot of "micro" decision making since it is based on things happening with some random chance, so you never have a fixed rotation.

That said, I think FFXIV is more about "knowing the fight" than "knowing your class". Outside of the highest level content (EX Primals, Savage/Ultimate raids) basically just hitting your cooldowns is going to be enough to get you through things. The learning comes from understanding each individual encounter. For that reason I'd add Black Mage as a class that might be worth looking into, as the long cast times mean you need to know fights very intimately in order to be efficient (otherwise you have to move and cancel your casts).

From my experience with both games I think the jobs in XIV are less distinct than the jobs in XI. There are 5 roles in the game (Tank, Healer, Mage, Ranged DPS, Melee DPS) and those roles determine "what" you are doing with the jobs themselves being the various flavours. Again, they moved a lot of the complexity into the fights themselves, which are more like choreographed dances than XI.

I admit based on what you're looking for I'm a little worried, but I very much hope you end up enjoying the game. It has very little in common with XI, but I think it's great in its own way.

Also I get where you're coming from about aesthetics. I think XIV is pretty good, but XI had this simpler quality to the gear and races that I really adore.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is very relieving to hear. I'm enjoying Rogue right now actually, but part of that might just be because I like the way my character looks for once and the attack animations are cool, haha.

Yeah, Ninja is a very classy SOB. Even despite the dorky Naruto run when you hit sprint.

Make sure you play up until you get your Job unlocked, as the initial Disciple of War classes are more like demos introducing you to basic mechanics and the real character types don't start to click until you get your Job crystal at level 30.

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
It's funny watching people online (not here so much) freak out about the all day maintenance in North America today. I'm like hi guys we did this nearly a month ago in the EU :3

Looking forward to world visit! Sooooooooooon

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
I've been playing regularly every day since the 14th when I picked the game back up. It's the most I've ever put into the game and I'm loving it. Level 37 Summoner right now, but once I hit 50 pretty sure I want to swap to Red Mage.

Still doing the ARR story (first time through) and enjoying it. Really feeling that urge to continue and it's a shame I won't be able to do so.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
The Burn music finally available digitally? yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It's going to be interesting tomorrow to see how dead the PF is, now that so many servers are gone from Aether and Primal.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently I parsed gold in Raba the other day as SMN.

It'll never happen in a savage raid but it still feels good to an extent. I must be doing something right :3

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
I totally forget, do they let us pre-patch any of it or is it all 100% downloaded towards the end of pre-launch maintenance?
We get to download it during the maintenance at some point. Generally earlier than a patch is available to download during maintenance, although even that's been going earlier and earlier lately, it used to be just a few hours before maint ended and now it's usually available a short period after maintenance has started.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We get to download it during the maintenance at some point. Generally earlier than a patch is available to download during maintenance, although even that's been going earlier and earlier lately, it used to be just a few hours before maint ended and now it's usually available a short period after maintenance has started.
I'm pretty familiar with when patches drop, but a big-ass expansion is a bit different from a patch and I forget at what point we were able to download the whole of both HW and SB. Probably is right before the servers go up though, yes.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty familiar with when patches drop, but a big-ass expansion is a bit different from a patch and I forget at what point we were able to download the whole of both HW and SB. Probably is right before the servers go up though, yes.
No we get it earlier than that, since it's a bigger download than the patches themselves.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
No we get it earlier than that, since it's a bigger download than the patches themselves.

Stormblood Pre-patch started literally 24 hours before early access started on June 16th, it came in 'waves' so you couldn't just start the patch when it first went up, you eventually had to go back and download another big patch. I remember this because I had a friend complaining about their slow internet and how they likely couldn't play the game at launch because you couldn't download the files ahead of time before patch maitenance. It also lead to a bunch of people having install errors which caused the client to literally download the entire game over again on PS4. Hopefully the way the y do patch stuff on PS4 now it won't be as big an issue, but they did that timing because they didn't want spoilers to get much before release like what happened in heavensward, specifically the trial info and the music. Music still went up before launch, but it wasn't up for long before the expansion released.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Figures that I decide to try this game again yesterday and all day maintenance now lol. I'll send an invite to Era once I get back in.

Question:

I want to be a healer like I used to be in WoW. I picked conjuror. Is this a good healing class? Am I going to have difficulty leveling solo for the most part with this class? Thank you!

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Figures that I decide to try this game again yesterday and all day maintenance now lol. I'll send an invite to Era once I get back in.

Question:

I want to be a healer like I used to be in WoW. I picked conjuror. Is this a good healing class? Am I going to have difficulty leveling solo for the most part with this class? Thank you!
No if you're a tank or healer you'll have the easiest time leveling because of fast dungeon queues.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I want to play through the story earnestly. So essentially should I primarily focus on main line and staying in queue and sprinkle side quests as needed?
If you chain run dungeons you'll outlevel the story quests, so that's not necessary (unless you want to do it). The main story quest and the occasional dungeon will be more than enough EXP.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I want to play through the story earnestly. So essentially should I primarily focus on main line and staying in queue and sprinkle side quests as needed?
If you play strictly the main story quests you'll end up being under leveled. Extra dungeons are necessary and side quests in all honesty, can be ignored, although there are a good bit that unlock a bunch of content and stuff (just look up which those are). As long as you are running the occasional extra dungeon you should be fine tackling the main story. Plus if you end up over leveled you don't have to deal with the lack of quests between 46 and 50. There is almost no content at that point and you'll have to just grind out dungeons or PotD to 50, but being a Healer means you're better off running dungeons and not having to suffer the monotony of PotD.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
If you play strictly the main story quests you'll end up being under leveled. Extra dungeons are necessary and side quests in all honesty, can be ignored, although there are a good bit that unlock a bunch of content and stuff (just look up which those are). As long as you are running the occasional extra dungeon you should be fine tackling the main story. Plus if you end up over leveled you don't have to deal with the lack of quests between 46 and 50. There is almost no content at that point and you'll have to just grind out dungeons or PotD to 50, but being a Healer means you're better off running dungeons and not having to suffer the monotony of PotD.

Got it. So better to be slightly over leveled finish the realm reborn content than under.

I had no idea a new xpac was coming out. Guess this is decent timing to get back in.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I had no idea a new xpac was coming out. Guess this is decent timing to get back in.

If you buy the collector's edition, you get Squall's Revolver for Gunbreaker.

GDCdYzs.jpg

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
So, the maintenance going on right now isn't the data-server stuff? WE have maintenance tonight, and again in a few days?

Status
Not open for further replies.