• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Healer quest line girl was right the whole time.
1v76g7vjp1sx.jpg

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Seems like a weird direction to take. Healers could be made more engaging by adding more variety in what they have to do not less.

If that trailer is anything to look by I think that will be fine.

WHM now have basically a weird BLM kind of playstyle with those 3 lillies (Umbral Hearts)and the over time red rose that is like Polyglot.

AST I would assume now draws 4 cards for each member.

No idea about Schoolar since I have yet to play that job.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
"Pure healing" can't really be done unless they balance around a fairly low actual uptime so this is sounding like some boring in people's futures.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh crap, I wasn't paying attention to MNK talk , can anyone please give me a quick recap

Not necessarily much was said but some citing of "utilizing Monk was un-fun" which is anecdotally super weird as everyone I know always can't wait for a chance to go play Monk. They didn't say much on it beyond GL4 upkeep so I'm assuming this was specifically targeting the TK rotation variants more than anything else.

Yoshi's goal is pretty much to make it literally impossible to complain that any aspect of playing a job is too hard.

I think he literally made a statement regarding lowering the impact of a skill gap? So I mean. Things.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Samurai will have less emphasis on doing Shinten spam and more on hitting Iaijutsu attacks like Midare.

Oct 27, 2017

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Oh crap, I wasn't paying attention to MNK talk , can anyone please give me a quick recap

So they refrained from making core changes to Monk during Stormblood for fear of making the gap based on player skill too wide due to extreme speed, but this led to Monk's overall power ceiling being very weak without extreme min-max'ing (un-fun play), so they've added the extra GL stack and skills to quickly recover it to help close the gap and allow players to play in different styles without sacrificing power.

One of the reasons I personally moved to SAM in Stormblood was because executing the best rotations for managing GL and being statistically effective fuckin' sucked, and deviating from it lead to some intense drops in DPS. SAM made me feel like I could improvise, be mobile, not lose out on DPS due to boss mechanics, and still be effective.

These changes to Monk to amazing and I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

Last edited:

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
RIP microphone batteries. Can't really comment on the other classes but so far the DRG and WAR/tanking changes sound logical. The healer stuff was a bit "huh?" inducing nonetheless. And it's a little intriguing/concerning that they've kind of been redesigning mch/brd each expansion.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these buff effects seem a little ... strong? When we're looking at something around 30% buffs. Even if it appears to be throwing out your own GCD uptime to compensate?

Just going to shrug until we get numbers.

I appreciate how support-based Dancer is, if nothing else.

The irony is all I could think watching it was "The DPS GCDs seem like filler?"

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019

Yeah they're totally there just because of the way classes are categorized in this game so they had to make it at least do some sort of direct DPS, which is hilarious. The devs clearly had a great concept for a support job, but they obviously can't do a straight up pure support job, so here's some random hoop-throwing attacks you can super-buff on the side so you match the numbers quota of the other DPS jobs. It looks like a lot of fun to play, but that has nothing to do with its actual ability to DPS, lol.

(Also this weird left-handed gaming controller thing looks super cool.)

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Some of these buff effects seem a little ... strong? When we're looking at something around 30% buffs. Even if it appears to be throwing out your own GCD uptime to compensate?

Just going to shrug until we get numbers.

I assume it'll be balanced around the own DNC's lower DPS, although this could create weird issues where you just stack 2BLMs 2DNCs because of the discrepency between damage dealers output and the reduction of "synergy" they mentionned. That or everyone feeding buffs into one super DPS(like DRG if they still have the dragon eye link thing, AST feeding cards and I guess NIN for TA if they still have that).

We'll see but DNC looked interesting enough to me and they didn't even show the green fan attacks stuff in the 2nd gauge system which apparently builds when your partner does stuff, which hopefully will work with chocobo/trusts when soloing.

Yeah they're totally there just because of the way classes are categorized in this game so they had to make it at least do some sort of direct DPS, which is hilarious. The devs clearly had a great concept for a support job, but they obviously can't do a straight up pure support job, so here's some random hoop-throwing attacks you can super-buff on the side so you match the numbers quota of the other DPS jobs. It looks like a lot of fun to play, but that has nothing to do with its actual ability to DPS, lol.

(Also this weird left-handed gaming controller thing looks super cool.)
He killed these plants pretty fast considering it looked like he was pressing random buttons and didn't have the partner attacking(chocobo) so it didn't look too terrible in that regard.

scy

Oct 25, 2017

It just strikes me as weird because as a healer you can totally just "I will do my steps here between heals and filler GCDs until heal." I expected the steps to like ... be how they did damage and generate their buffs and not just two divorced sets of gameplay. It's weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.