• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's true. Unlike Dark Knight, Gunbreaker won't immediately die if he's not topped off after using the ability.

Question about Monk's Perfect Balance btw. I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly. Am I just supposed to spam my strongest move?

Usually, you want to use Peanut Butter to restore your lost GL stacks after using Tornado Kick. Snap > Snap > Demo > DK > TS, then go Boot > True > Snap.

If you really want to use it in dungeons to spam Rockbreaker, I won't judge.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, and how would getting a 4th healer preclude the other ones getting a lot of love? They added another ranged physical DPS but at the same time they've said it's a job in this role (MCH) that got the biggest overhaul.

They might be waiting to see if the "pure healing role" changes land the role where they want it to be. I'm expecting to see more information than they are letting on right now because otherwise I don't really see what's changed in that regard. Are they gonna be leaning toward smaller spammable heals? More consistent and unpredictable raid damage? Something else?

But yea I agree their reasoning for no new healer is still lame af. But oh well

I still find it highly ironic that Dancer's mechanic would basically be ideal on a healer.

Don't remind me too much how perfect this job would have been as a healer or I might get sad again

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever thought sticking "pure healer" on a slide was a good idea just... whyyyyyyy. The commonly accepted meaning is bad, and if you don't mean that then it's meaningless. ahhhh

I still find it highly ironic that Dancer's mechanic would basically be ideal on a healer.

Not gonna lie, I am super curious to see fight tuning and how OP the healers end up being in the expansion. If the tuning hits right I wonder if the speed meta will, in the absence of LB cheese, switch to solo healer + Dancer.

Also still curious if the other ranged kept party damage buffs.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
So far the only "love" we know the healers are getting is that they're all being re-tuned to be drastically more alike, and we all have to hope "pure healing" is just a weird translation quirk. I'm patiently waiting for end of embargoes but I honestly doubt much will be different - they'll be homogenized so they can just make rough copies with slight gimmicks for future healer jobs and that's probably about it.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Usually, you want to use Peanut Butter to restore your lost GL stacks after using Tornado Kick. Snap > Snap > Demo > DK > TS, then go Boot > True > Snap.

If you really want to use it in dungeons to spam Rockbreaker, I won't judge.

This is what I mostly use it for lol. And spamming Snap Punch to get to GL3. I'm only level 51 so no TK just yet.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I should get back to this(I stopped playing before the 1st expansion came out) or wait till July 2nd.... I'm so tempted to just get back and play other classes. I'm only max level(I think it was 60?) as a White Mage.

but I think I can't do much as the past 2 expansions won't unlock for me till then.

Oct 26, 2017
Meh, it's just another Holmgang but the 1 hp happens before the TB

The longer C/D still makes Holm better though, but on the other hand, you can probably get away with just a regen heal to recover from this.

It's more for people who don't know what it does.

A person who isn't familiar with Gunbreaker all of a sudden seeing their HP shoot down to 1 will assume they took a ton of damage and are about to die instead of just being part of an ability.

That's why I use macros for Hallowed Ground/Living Dead/Holmgang so healers know what's going on.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's more for people who don't know what it does.

A person who isn't familiar with Gunbreaker all of a sudden seeing their HP shoot down to 1 will assume they took a ton of damage and are about to die instead of just being part of an ability.

That's why I use macros for Hallowed Ground/Living Dead/Holmgang so healers know what's going on.
Yeah I suppose that's true, looking at the tooltip, it is actually really fucking good, 8 second invulnerability on a 4 minute cooldown, honestly assuming they don't change ED, or exocog, all you need are those 2 abilities with way more leeway than Holmgang
It won't only be Chakrams. And some of their abilities in the job trailers turned their weapons into fans.
hmm I didn't watch the LL, and didn't notice that in the job action trailer. Interesting

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That gunbreaker ability is awful. Unless they nerfed the crap out of the other immunities, it's way worse than LD or Holmgang or Hallowed, the cd is ridiculous.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I suppose that's true, looking at the tooltip, it is actually really fucking good, 8 second invulnerability on a 4 minute cooldown, honestly assuming they don't change ED, or exocog, all you need are those 2 abilities with way more leeway than Holmgang
hmm I didn't watch the LL, and didn't notice that in the job action trailer. Interesting
u7hgaNQ.jpg

Watch the Dancer's weapons:

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What? It's 7 minutes. It's LONGER than everything but hallowed. 50% more than LD and more than double Holmgang.
Oh, I can't do math. But it's essentially the same thing as hallowed but shorter.

It's still better than LD due to the simple fact that non-WHM healers typically need to use a GCD on LD.

They also may change up all the invulnerability abilities as well, considering how much easier they have made tanking from what we know so far, they may have something to add some more challenge back

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I can't do math. But it's essentially the same thing as hallowed but shorter.

It's still better than LD due to the simple fact that non-WHM healers typically need to use a GCD on LD.

They also may change up all the invulnerability abilities as well, considering how much easier they have made tanking from what we know so far, they may have something to add some more challenge back
I completely expect changes to the cheat death abilities, but yeah for the moment? as a vet tank of a billion years, it's the worst one.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. LD gets some leeway in that you get an HP bar worth of time to ignore a tank and then X amount of time to get them back up. It's a 100% HP (not full HP) heal at some point over the duration of the activated LD so it's not as bad as some people think. It definitely has some fringe case uses where you get more mileage out of it than any other cheat death due to the duration.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure I'm too happy with not having job quests. Is Red Mage cat man never coming back? Will Arya become more skilled? What will my girl Leveva be up to and the Geomancer guy? My ninja friends? Are Gunbreaker and Dancer just not getting their own little stories?

Oct 25, 2017
LD is great when used well, frustrating when used poorly. It's more about making sure you get to skip enough healing to make it worth; the tendency to blow invulns on damage CDs could cover instead of getting max value out of it by doing things cool downs can't made it annoying.

I'm not sure I'm too happy with not having job quests. Is Red Mage cat man never coming back? Will Arya become more skilled? What will my girl Leveva be up to and the Geomancer guy? My ninja friends? Are Gunbreaker and Dancer just not getting their own little stories?

Based on the LL, everyone gets a job quest at 80. Gunbreaker and Dancer get 60-70 quests; so the stories continue, just with fewer filler steps in between from 70+ it sounds like.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd miss Catman and Arya, but my hope is that they'll group all the mentors into the role quests and let them each play a part in the SHB role quest arc.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
reason they're probably doing this is it just wouldn't make much sense for your job trainers to all of a sudden know about the first to send you off to learn stuff there, and I'd be shocked if they treat the first stuff as common knowledge anyone can know about, especially with viera/hrothgar and dancer and gunbreaker hailing from the source specifically in the story they have for them on the SHB site.

role quests sound neat and also serves as a good chance to go into the backstory of the warriors of darkness

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
LD is great when used well, frustrating when used poorly. It's more about making sure you get to skip enough healing to make it worth; the tendency to blow invulns on damage CDs could cover instead of getting max value out of it by doing things cool downs can't made it annoying.

Based on the LL, everyone gets a job quest at 80. Gunbreaker and Dancer get 60-70 quests; so the stories continue, just with fewer filler steps in between from 70+ it sounds like.

Ok cool so Dancer and Gunbreaker get quests. A single quest at 80 for the rest is kind of a bummer though. I hope it's a good one. Maybe they'll be meaty.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
You guys thinking about changing to a new race...man, I don't get how you can do that. After soooo many hours with your character, doesn't it feel weird af to switch everything around like that?

Back now for to catch up on my goals before SB drops. IL stuck at 351 on my SCH, so I can't run the last dungeon. Kind of just want to raise WHM, NIN, RDM, and SAM to 70 since they have less than 10 levels left each. Just, everything's going to change in a month sooo

Also, housing is STILL packed on Malboro. Are we ever going to get a new res area?

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
You guys thinking about changing to a new race...man, I don't get how you can do that. After soooo many hours with your character, doesn't it feel weird af to switch everything around like that?

Back now for to catch up on my goals before SB drops. IL stuck at 351 on my SCH, so I can't run the last dungeon. Kind of just want to raise WHM, NIN, RDM, and SAM to 70 since they have less than 10 levels left each. Just, everything's going to change in a month sooo

Also, housing is STILL packed on Malboro. Are we ever going to get a new res area?
There's some endgame crafter content to rebuild Ishgard coming in one of the patches, we might get Ishgard housing after that.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Oh yeah at the end there they turn into fans
Only for a few key skills though.

Just like XI, they gave Dancer Saber Dance(damage stance), although in XIV it's now a damage buff that also applies to your partner and Fan Dance(tank stance), which again is different than XI, not even a stance or buff anymore, it's just an oGCD(or low cd GCD it's unclear at the moment, it has a 1s GCD like steps).

You generate charges randomly off your procs procing(so yeah double level of RNG), the little green feather icons, and then you can dump them for damage really quickly with cool animations, and apparently these can proc into a stronger version too.

DNC is like several layers of procs, which I think is interesting but might end up a bit weird where sometimes you don't proc shit for a while(there is a cooldown to proc the first tier on every skill and I assume something will give those green counters via cooldowns too but we'll see).

You have the 2 basic attacks, 50% chance each of them can unlock a proc stronger version, then 50% off these to proc a fan dance counter, then 50% off fan dance to proc a stronger fan dance. Stacking the procs for burst phases should prove to be fairly interesting though, similar to current MCH stacking the special shots for Wildfire, but without the ridiculous Wildfire window.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
reason they're probably doing this is it just wouldn't make much sense for your job trainers to all of a sudden know about the first to send you off to learn stuff there, and I'd be shocked if they treat the first stuff as common knowledge anyone can know about, especially with viera/hrothgar and dancer and gunbreaker hailing from the source specifically in the story they have for them on the SHB site.

role quests sound neat and also serves as a good chance to go into the backstory of the warriors of darkness

The actual reason they're doing this is to lessen the amount of work they need to do with an ever-expanding number of jobs.

What you described would be an in-game explanation.

I think it's too big of a reduction all at once and will make each job feel less immersive when you're just simply grinding them all to 80 without any job quests along the way to break it up and inject flavor.

But maybe they'll make each single quest have high production value and be memorable, with Hildibrand-level cutscenes.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Jan 11, 2018
Either there's massive jump in graphics quality between PS4 and PC that I had no idea about, or they've actually improved the graphics for everyone with this expansion?

Status
Not open for further replies.