• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the general belief at this point is the three cards in rapid fire was going to be new Sleeve Draw. There does seem potential to move Draw itself to a charge mechanic and have Sleeve Draw just give you two or three bonus stacks, but in general I'd be surprised if we were doing 3 cards every 30 seconds. I also legit have no idea how they'd balance the other healers to counteract that sheer volume in buffs.
Yeah I just double checked the video, def looks like they did a sleeve draw

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The battle effects and numbers are called flying text. There's also pop-up text, but I don't know if that covers the other stuff you want to change because I don't know what it does.
HC1bKRV.jpg

Enemy names and HP bars can be changed under display name settings. You can change the names to only display when targeted. The HP bars are either on, only on at <100% health, or off completely (there's no "when targeted").

Ignore the rest of my HUD, it's firmly in "It works for me and I can't be bothered changing it" territory.

Unfortunately the option for Flying Text is already at its lowest setting (Standard), so I guess I'm out of luck on that one.

It's not the biggest deal, as I'm sure battles will be a chaotic mess no matter how many variables you change.

scy

Oct 25, 2017
... the dev team kind of backed themselves into a corner where they don't like where healers are, but also have no ability to change it without ruining the role by making it incredibly boring, or fundamentally altering how combat encounters work. As expected it doesn't seem like they did either. But who knows. This whole conversation could be turned upside down once embargoes end.

As someone else with at this point 20 years--goddamn send help--of time spent playing MMOs, a lot of this rings true. They have themselves in a design corner and the nature of the game has pushed things to go a certain way. It'll take a radical redesign to really alter things in this situation but it's doubtful they'll ever reach a point to do so. As a lot of things stand, many of their changes and general design philosophy is fine at the low end but the high end of play is where the sameness will hit worse as the unique strengths are whittled away. Which fits their general philosophy but also the jobs existed well at the range of play where tanks are okay doing 3kish, healers were okay doing 2kish, even if we're looking at 2-3k higher is available as you exploit what the jobs can do. It'll be a case if time will tell, really, on how changes shake things up right now but I'm just waiting for real info before being too excited.

From what I've heard of high-end tanks, most of the changes to that role so far have been regarded as overall improvements. Healers are less convinced this is the direction to take, and I'm definitely on that side of the fence myself.

Ego aside, I'd like to consider myself on the high-end side of tanks and I'm torn on it, as evidenced by my other posts on this. I think there's a lot of good that can come their changes but I think we need to actually move towards the kind of active gameplay. From what we've seen of Gunbreaker tooltips, it's not quite sounding like it's there though. And, realistically, I doubt they ever will considering the above points on the combat overall of the game.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's like 40 quests in the 4.x MSQ, and most of the individual patches were like an hour and a half long.
You might have trouble with ilvl requirements towards the end, but yeah, crafted gear is pretty affordable now.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Sweet! Thanks a bunch
Check mogboard for other servers on your datacenter in case you can find better prices if you're gonna buy gear. I probably wouldn't buy everything though, you can easily buy a bunch of gear with tomes too, weapon tends to be the most annoying(and also the most expensive), so I'd look into that at least, also counts for 2 slots for ilvl and then jewelry since it's the cheapest and the ring actually stays relevant in full gear. Also if you're in a FC with a nice crafter you could ask them for a better price. Raw mats are generally about half the price of the crafted gear, sometimes even less. I looked it up a little while ago to gear my ninja in full crafted it would have cost less than a million in mats(for every slot) but the AH prices would have been 3 times that(prices went down since though, and I also just geared it with tomes instead because eh).

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
Check mogboard for other servers on your datacenter in case you can find better prices if you're gonna buy gear. I probably wouldn't buy everything though, you can easily buy a bunch of gear with tomes too, weapon tends to be the most annoying(and also the most expensive), so I'd look into that at least, also counts for 2 slots for ilvl and then jewelry since it's the cheapest and the ring actually stays relevant in full gear. Also if you're in a FC with a nice crafter you could ask them for a better price. Raw mats are generally about half the price of the crafted gear, sometimes even less. I looked it up a little while ago to gear my ninja in full crafted it would have cost less than a million in mats(for every slot) but the AH prices would have been 3 times that(prices went down since though, and I also just geared it with tomes instead because eh).
Thanks! Yeah I'm in the FC on Ultros, so crafters shouldn't be a problem. I bought a few pieces so I can do the first 2 24 man raids and hopefully get some gear there, then I'll ask in the FC to get what I need to finish up the 24 man and the story.
At least that's my current plan :p

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Sooo... how impossible would it be to make 150k MGP before the car mount disappears?
I think it's too late now, since the event ends tomorrow. It's in theory possible if you haven't done fashion report and challenge log yet this week, but fashion report this week isn't as easy as usual and if you've done either, you'd be too far off. If you have both, you could get about 110-120k from them, and doing the rest is certainly doable, GATEs are every 20mins and give 4-5k and you can mix in some axe cutting minigame inbetween(near the chocobo/vermillion area). But that's probably still takes a few hours.

I guess if you have a lot of time, you can probably make 20k an hour doing GATEs+minigames, so you also could get there grinding for 6hours. You might lose a bit of your soul in the process though.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's too late now, since the event ends tomorrow. It's in theory possible if you haven't done fashion report and challenge log yet this week, but fashion report this week isn't as easy as usual and if you've done either, you'd be too far off. If you have both, you could get about 110-120k from them, and doing the rest is certainly doable, GATEs are every 20mins and give 4-5k and you can mix in some axe cutting minigame inbetween(near the chocobo/vermillion area). But that's probably still takes a few hours.

I guess if you have a lot of time, you can probably make 20k an hour doing GATEs+minigames, so you also could get there grinding for 6hours. You might lose a bit of your soul in the process though.
Thanks, dunno if I'm into that sort of grind for a complete dice roll lol.

growler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to claim Heavensward on the psn store but I'm running into some issues. When I go to the Heavensward psn store page, it says i first need to purchase the starter edition. I upgraded from ps3 to ps4 version ages ago, but i guess that isn't the starter version? That's fine I guess, however it won't allow me to purchase the starter edition on the store, citing that I've already purchased FFXIV: ARR!

as far as i can tell, I have no upgrade path to heavensward using the psn store. bummer

Oct 26, 2017
New leak on Dark Knight sounds neat.

Edge of Darkness/Shadow (Cecil style line AOE looking move) gives you Darkside for a time which increases damage dealt.

Popping The Blackest Night gives you Dark Arts which eliminates the mana cost of your next Edge of Darkness/Shadow.

Not sure if it works on anything else.

But that so far sounds more interesting than +140 (+350 on CaS) potency on most moves which is the current Dark Arts.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to claim Heavensward on the psn store but I'm running into some issues. When I go to the Heavensward psn store page, it says i first need to purchase the starter edition. I upgraded from ps3 to ps4 version ages ago, but i guess that isn't the starter version? That's fine I guess, however it won't allow me to purchase the starter edition on the store, citing that I've already purchased FFXIV: ARR!

as far as i can tell, I have no upgrade path to heavensward using the psn store. bummer
Have you installed ARR? It'll be in your library

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017

Have you tried going through the PS Store tab on your ARR page on your ps4 menu?

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Levelling my DRK and I'm starting to really enjoy tanking. Should've carried on levelling it years ago. Think it'll be my main for ShB.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
So I came back to the game last week, stopped playing during 4.2. Managed to grab the FFXV Mount before the event ended. I want to get every class to 60 (have PLD, WAR and BRD left) and grab the Goro stuff before that leaves in 5.1. I think it's possible if I do the Roulette once a day. Really looking forward to Stormbringer and all the tank changes. Happy what their doing with RDM also.

BLU is also incredibly fun to do on the side.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys,

So I want to play AST, but it seems so daunting TBH with all the skills and card system, it just looks really confusing. I'm only level 38 (been playing on and off since 2.0) now as a BLM and I find it so boring, but I don't want to grind another class tbh. I was thinking of buying a jump potion and learning from there.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I hope DRK goes back to HW level of fun to play...

Hope you like WAR style burst windows if the new leak is real, says Delirium is basically Edgy Inner Release.

Says SAM also has what sounds like ghetto Forbidden Chakra, where their Meditation stacks and leads to more damage on a new skill (the multi-slash from the job video that they do after Meditation).

Oct 25, 2017
So:

1558915627716.png

There's also the claim that three cards are melee buffers, three cards are range buffers, so effectively you have two cards, and that there is a low-level AOE buff you can execute every few minutes... which gets halved if you don't have 3 distinct solar seals. It all sounds a lot like lobotomizing the job.

s o m a d

Where can I read those AST leaks?

AST Balance discord is a good place to check in terms of stuff getting brought in and people trying to put context around it.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
So:

1558915627716.png

There's also the claim that three cards are melee buffers, three cards are range buffers, so effectively you have two cards, and that there is a low-level AOE buff you can execute every few minutes... which gets halved if you don't have 3 distinct solar seals. It all sounds a lot like lobotomizing the job.

s o m a d

Yeah I saw that, big oof if true. Like, I might stop leveling Astro on my alt and switch to White Mage.

SonicThrust

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I don't buy that recent batch of screenshots that showed up on the reddit that included that Balance change.

For one, they had a skill that was already debunked from the dancer gameplay in the live letter so a portion of it was faked or at least muddy the waters enough about which version the pictures were taken from to put things into question.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
This wasn't the case until SB when all of the lower level abilities got gutted from all jobs...
I hate to break this to you but that's never been the case. A lot of jobs weren't feature complete until level50 like DRG and WAR.
BLM at least gets Fire 3 and Bliz 3 by level38 but until then its garbage.

Edit: It like took me forever to get swiftcast during ARR because THM was so fucking garbage to play and they hadn't dumped bonus EXP on us yet.

Last edited:

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So:

1558915627716.png

s o m a d

AST Balance discord is a good place to check in terms of stuff getting brought in and people trying to put context around it.
Fuuuuck off SE. let's just make AST as brain dead as WHM instead of making WHM viable by making it interesting, we make it viable but making the other 2 healers are dumb as it, "balanced"

This expack is proving to be a giant fuck you to healers

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay! We still have Minor Arcana! Maybe that will be interes--

NewLordCardShB.png

...oh.

It looks like the primary loop is fishing for the right seals to enable the 6% party-wide buff on whatever CD that skill has, while distributing the cards on party members. If you can't get the right final seal, maybe like Minor Arcana lets you dump the card for a sealless but slightly stronger version of the Exact Same Thing?

I get that this makes cards less scary for people intimidated by AST, but they're running out of places to stick something interesting to make up for it. Making things accessible is awesome, but less so when it's at the expense of nuance.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Ewww why would they ruin AST cards like that, not like one would be an idiot of not giving a dps card to a dps first, no point on that penalty, and that's just going to make things more annoying melee / range: "sorry can't give you this card, it isn't meant for you", "wait who was this card for again?"

Huh, so would it be safe to assume they are not only separating those all their skills but maybe levels too? I better get Arcanist to 70.

Last edited:

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
If there are choices a job has to make that confuse or intimidate even a single person, they seem to have their eye on eliminating it. I wouldn't be surprised in the least. It's a bummer - healing is the only role I truly enjoy playing in this game because it's the most dynamic with the highest skill ceiling, and no healer seems safe from "it's a lot more boring now, and you have no new job - enjoy!"

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am omni-healer, so I'll probably just main SCH now, but damn AST played so well by the end of SB, i am gonna miss it

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to break this to you but that's never been the case. A lot of jobs weren't feature complete until level50 like DRG and WAR.
BLM at least gets Fire 3 and Bliz 3 by level38 but until then its garbage.

Edit: It like took me forever to get swiftcast during ARR because THM was so fucking garbage to play and they hadn't dumped bonus EXP on us yet.

I guess I didn't notice it too much because of the ability to cross class other jobs gave a semblence of more abilities than what you had.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

So I want to play AST, but it seems so daunting TBH with all the skills and card system, it just looks really confusing. I'm only level 38 (been playing on and off since 2.0) now as a BLM and I find it so boring, but I don't want to grind another class tbh. I was thinking of buying a jump potion and learning from there.
Leaks appear to show AST getting a major rework on how it's cards work simplifying the whole thing and introducing a new mechanic to replace what it's losing so I wouldn't worry too much about learning how it plays now when it's getting changed in a month.

If the sheer amount of skills you start with is overwhelming you, I'd recommend going to palace of the dead floor 1 so you only start with 1 skill and seeing how the other skills roll in.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Man leveling SCH looks dreadful with the changes. No aetherflow until 45, no bane, no miasma II, literally just Ruin 1 and Bio I/II and eventually Art of War for aoeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.