• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
My perspective on Stormblood's endgame scene is warped because until very recently my life has been so busy I haven't been able to actually participate in much of it, so I can't pass judgment on it, and I know this is just a philosophical disagreement that Yoshi has long-since settled, so I won't drag it out and bother everyone else in the thread with it because I know I'm definitely in the minority. I just feel like FFXIV lacks a variety of gameplay systems, and having FFXI be my main MMO outside of really weird ones (like EVE) when I was growing up spoiled me on having like ten different progression systems to choose from as you wished, all of which had relevant gear for different jobs in different situations that were valuable for years. To me, that's the opposite of a skinner box because what you're getting actually has lasting value (as much as a thing in a game can have value), and it puts things like 1-2 patch cycle gear to shame for it's longevity. (I actually think from a literal definition you could argue XIV is much more of an endless treadmill than XI was.)

I like FFXIV's core gameplay, but I really love Palace of the Dead and Eureka's structure, being independent from the "main" game and each having it's own rewards based on that progression-within-progression. I'd love for them to focus more on systems like that, because even though you can run down a list of content and try to sell it as all different, fundamentally you have tomes and you have gear from the 8-man trial storyline and the extreme trials going on at the time (Alexander, Omega, etc along with the extreme primals or whatever) that you get from dropped tokens. All of it feeds back into the same loop. I appreciate the endgame "extreme" trials being there for their difficulty, and those need to exist, but I really would just like more progression system variety instead. The failure to properly iterate on Palace of the Dead in Stormblood (Heaven-On-High is severely lacking in comparison) is perhaps it's biggest failing.

I look forward to getting back into taking the game "seriously" now that my life is in a good place again when Shadowbringers comes out, but their formula for how they create and release "endgame" has no indication of changing from the last time (when it did at least change a little). I look forward to it a lot nevertheless.
This is pretty much how I feel as well. I am actually surprised that HoH was not an even bigger upgrade to POTD. I would even say that HoH feels like a downgrade in certain areas. It's the type of content that I believe the devs should build upon more. Make the floors more interesting in layout and mechanics. Give the content more interesting rewards. Some great glamour stuff? Keep adding floors and maybe different directions with new systems and such in the updates. 8 man savage version so statics has content to do between raid tiers?

The potenital in POTD/HoH is huge and I really hope they expand upon it in ShB but so far I think they have been silent on the topic?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, with the SE store weirdness (for UK/EU) it seems to line up with their E3 press conference. So someone on Reddit suggested a FFVIIr Part 1 release date annoucnement and SE store exclusive CE and they are going to force people into a random queue for the chance to pre-order it but are locking out all access to the EU/UK store until then because.... reasons?

I'm betting a big box with nice art, a steelbook and Cloud + Motorcycle statue (or maybe a whole gang + truck?) probably an art book too.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
How often should I trust the gear recommendation button? This thing is telling me that the level 60 Shisui tank shoes are better than level 66 shoes despite having 90 less defense. All it has over the level 66 shoes is 7 more vitality. Surely that doesn't make up for the 90 difference in defense right?

Oct 26, 2017
So with the 30% EXP earring on (works up to level 70) it might be better to just do dungeons instead of spamming HoH since I don't think the earring works on mobs that are killed in there.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
So with the 30% EXP earring on (works up to level 70) it might be better to just do dungeons instead of spamming HoH since I don't think the earring works on mobs that are killed in there.
Highest dungeon is better if you're a tank or a healer, HoH is probably still better if you're DPS because of long queues.

Or just do what I did on my BLM and play Smash Bros. while waiting for the dungeon queue to pop.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Have they mentioned yet how many dungeons will be in the 5.x patches, or is it too soon? I remember a lot of people were upset because they released fewer dungeons in Stormblood because of Eureka.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Leveling all the crafters together is exhausting, but they also need items from each other, I don't know what to do, I guess I'll just settle with having gatherers at 70.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
So beat Shinryu Ex today. Group in PF had discord callouts which helped a lot.

We almost went the full lock out but we got there in the end so I'm pretty happy.

Whistle + Scale dropped, didn't get either V_V

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Leveling all the crafters together is exhausting, but they also need items from each other, I don't know what to do, I guess I'll just settle with having gatherers at 70.
If you don't mind slowly chipping away at them, leveling your crafters through beast tribe quests and GC turn-ins is fairly stress-free. It can be monotonous but it doesn't take much time to do the dailies. I've been doing them for the past few months and I'm close to getting all of them to 70.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If you don't mind slowly chipping away at them, leveling your crafters through beast tribe quests and GC turn-ins is fairly stress-free. It can be monotonous but it doesn't take much time to do the dailies. I've been doing them for the past few months and I'm close to getting all of them to 70.
Yeah, I'll probably do this.

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
How often should I trust the gear recommendation button? This thing is telling me that the level 60 Shisui tank shoes are better than level 66 shoes despite having 90 less defense. All it has over the level 66 shoes is 7 more vitality. Surely that doesn't make up for the 90 difference in defense right?
VIT is the main tank stat, so it's prioritizing that. It's generally safe to use it unless you made some peculiar choices (like having VIT accessories on a lv50 DPS).

Oct 26, 2017
Well, HoH gives at least 1.5mil at the end guaranteed. Not sure how much you get per dungeon run.
Highest dungeon is better if you're a tank or a healer, HoH is probably still better if you're DPS because of long queues.

Or just do what I did on my BLM and play Smash Bros. while waiting for the dungeon queue to pop.

I'm leveling Gunbreaker first so should get insta queues unless the allure of Gunbreaker is so great that all the DPS leave to play it but I doubt that will happen.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Palace of the Dead is boring. No verticality, too curtailed, no diversity in situations. It's one of the most boring rogue-lite I've played.

It's interesting solo as a challenge, but what it needs is more work put into it to make exploration meaningful and offer diversity in playstyle and decision-making instead of just being a makeshift practice mode to test jobs. The real Palace of the Dead from TO was more interesting than this

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty sure it's ilvl only. Shisui is 63 though not 60, so difference is kinda whatever.

Is heavensward also free on steam or just the SE store? I'm not finding it when searching on steam.
Only free on non steam version. I guess because making it free for Steam is SLIGTLY annoying and they don't want to bother. I assume it'll be full integrated into the base game at some point in the future anyway(obviously not before ShB release however, so until then you're out of luck).

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it's just me but for the last few weeks healer queues have been consistently much faster than tank queues for pretty much every roulette.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I'm like " Yo I should be more open and make more friends in the game " and then I see shit like eureka shout chat and i'm like " Nah now I remember why I keep to myself, ya'll weird "

These Dark Knights and their edge. I don't wanna be the Warrior of Darkness. My character is too cheerful for that.
I have been preparing for this. I have always liked making my characters in mmo's edgy. And I didn't start playing this game, even after I got it untill I got heavensward so I could be an Au Ra and I could eventually be a Dark Knight. My interest in a specific job and aesthetic has payed off, and I get the edgy Gunblade class in the same expansion.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Palace of the Dead is boring. No verticality, too curtailed, no diversity in situations. It's one of the most boring rogue-lite I've played.

It's interesting solo as a challenge, but what it needs is more work put into it to make exploration meaningful and offer diversity in playstyle and decision-making instead of just being a makeshift practice mode to test jobs. The real Palace of the Dead from TO was more interesting than this

I don't want to completely shoot this down, but did you go to floor 200? 180-190 in PotD is probably the most intense gameplay I've had in this game and does require split-second thinking on how to deal with tough situations. Granted, part of what makes it so tense is the promise of going through 70 incredibly boring floors again if you fail.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I'm like " Yo I should be more open and make more friends in the game " and then I see shit like eureka shout chat and i'm like " Nah now I remember why I keep to myself, ya'll weird "

I have been preparing for this. I have always liked making my characters in mmo's edgy. And I didn't start playing this game, even after I got it untill I got heavensward so I could be an Au Ra and I could eventually be a Dark Knight. My interest in a specific job and aesthetic has payed off, and I get the edgy Gunblade class in the same expansion.

I'm in an FC and I don't even speak to them ever. Limsa Lominsa is another place full of degenerates chewing on each other or some other weird thing. Hubs in general except for maybe Idylshire and Ishgard.

And Gunbreaker is classy tyvm.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

Who needs friends? I just stay at my house all the time. The only time I leave is when I go to the Gold Saucer or do hunts.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
PoTD is a bit dull now, sure, but when it released in, what, the middle of the Heavensward patches, it was a big break from all their other gameplay systems and a real breath of fresh air. The failing has been not properly iterating on on the base of it, with more varied map types, objectives that aren't all just "kill enough to trigger the exit," and more varied rewards. The system should be something they consistently update and expand with small touches over the course of the expansion cycle. Instead HoH just released too early and did way, way too little for being a follow up to PoTD.

The potenital in POTD/HoH is huge and I really hope they expand upon it in ShB but so far I think they have been silent on the topic?

As far as I know, yeah, which is a shame. I think there was some passing implication awhile ago that they intend to go forward with the Eureka model for content in some manner, but that's as far as I've heard them talk about what their vision for content in Shadowbringers actually is. Honestly, they've said shockingly little. There's a real weird lack of information with ShB compared to this time before Stormblood.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eureka shout chat was one of the more entertaining things about Eureka, sadly.
A bunch of nutcases locked in a giant room forced to pass the time ripping on everything.

Anyways, I'm fairly certain they learned some ways to improve the Eureka formula because it honestly isn't bad. It could just be a lot better.
I enjoy it a lot more than the Relic/Anima steps anyways.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in an FC and I don't even speak to them ever. Limsa Lominsa is another place full of degenerates chewing on each other or some other weird thing. Hubs in general except for maybe Idylshire and Ishgard.

And Gunbreaker is classy tyvm.
Same here, I be trying to communicate but they got cliques and shit so fuck it, I guess i'll use em for bonuses. And yeah folks do be weird in hubs, but like i'm a live and let live guy. Ya'll ain't bothering no one so its chill. But folks be yelling crazy shit into shout chat, like shit other people problably do not want to see i'm like " y'all know you didn't have to expose everyone to that shit. I didn't really need to know your sexual psycho analysis of what type of people play which classes... I really didn't" . Shout chat is useful and on occasion someone says a funny joke, but its always some weird dudes.

I had some friends on my previous server but due to the server mix up I ended up changing servers and i'm lone wolfing it rn.

Gunbreaker is literally long coat with a gunsword , it is edgelord prime.

Eureka shout chat was one of the more entertaining things about Eureka, sadly.
A bunch of nutcases locked in a giant room forced to pass the time ripping on everything.

Anyways, I'm fairly certain they learned some ways to improve the Eureka formula because it honestly isn't bad. It could just be a lot better.
I enjoy it a lot more than the Relic/Anima steps anyways.
I like eureka as a means to make a buncha money. As a gameplay thing its fine, but they need to do some stuff to spice it up. And yeah I do also enjoy it better than other relic steps. I make money and don't have to go through a buncha horseshit. Kill monsters, bring the crystals to gerolt , he drunkenly makes me my cool weapon. Wash Rinse Repeat.

Eureka shout chat can be funny on occasion, it also just be weird and even offensive.

Who needs friends? I just stay at my house all the time. The only time I leave is when I go to the Gold Saucer or do hunts.
I have been playing this game for years, I don't even know how to buy a house

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
PoTD is a bit dull now, sure, but when it released in, what, the middle of the Heavensward patches, it was a big break from all their other gameplay systems and a real breath of fresh air. The failing has been not properly iterating on on the base of it, with more varied map types, objectives that aren't all just "kill enough to trigger the exit," and more varied rewards. The system should be something they consistently update and expand with small touches over the course of the expansion cycle. Instead HoH just released too early and did way, way too little for being a follow up to PoTD.

As far as I know, yeah, which is a shame. I think there was some passing implication awhile ago that they intend to go forward with the Eureka model for content in some manner, but that's as far as I've heard them talk about what their vision for content in Shadowbringers actually is. Honestly, they've said shockingly little. There's a real weird lack of information with ShB compared to this time before Stormblood.
Sounds like there probably will be one at some point:

• "Maybe" there might be a Deep Dungeon in Shadowbringers. It's probable, but the team hasn't decided a target patch for that.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think they'll offer free server transfers like they did in April for Shadowbringer launch?

Oct 26, 2017
For ShB they should bring Fort Condor to the game as the next large zone thing. Go to certain stations in the main hub to buy troops to help attack areas and take positions to gain access to more areas of the map. You can fortify positions with ranged defenses and troops for when the enemies periodically raid the zone (sort of like Emergency Mission when the sky changes).

I'd legitimately be worried that everyone in queue at that level will be Gunbreaker and Dancer. Might get bottlenecked by healing.

Reception to the healer changes isn't great so this is possible. The changes to tank stance have likely made tanks more appealing to people who hated them before too.

It's all fun, games, and instaqueues until the duty servers die for 12 hours.

Even if the servers hold the DDoSers will make sure they go down during the first week.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see, the servers themselves were pretty steady that weekend the solo duty stuff was broken but the DDOS problems didn't really kick in terribly until after that was fixed. With how often they've been DDOSing though maybe they do have a bigger attack planned around Shadowbringers launch. Guess we'll see.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started the game for the first time yesterday (free trial) and it was pretty good. Any tips for newcomers? I sucks that I can't privately message anyone in the free trial.

By the way, how is the game doing? Is it dying? Am I too late to the party?

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018
I don't want to completely shoot this down, but did you go to floor 200? 180-190 in PotD is probably the most intense gameplay I've had in this game and does require split-second thinking on how to deal with tough situations. Granted, part of what makes it so tense is the promise of going through 70 incredibly boring floors again if you fail.

70? You have to go through 130 floors of junk just to get back up to 181. Honestly SE should have made PoTD group focused for the fixed party only section (i.e. 101+). At least HoH doesn't have an extra 100 terrible floors.

For ShB they should bring Fort Condor to the game as the next large zone thing. Go to certain stations in the main hub to buy troops to help attack areas and take positions to gain access to more areas of the map. You can fortify positions with ranged defenses and troops for when the enemies periodically raid the zone (sort of like Emergency Mission when the sky changes).

Reception to the healer changes isn't great so this is possible. The changes to tank stance have likely made tanks more appealing to people who hated them before too.

Even if the servers hold the DDoSers will make sure they go down during the first week.

Tank stances aren't really a big reason why people don't tank. Too many people feel anxious because tanks tend to be seen as the (temporary) leader of the party because they dictate the pace. Also the idea of failing as a tank being more punishing than failing as a dps.

I won't be healing on release of 5.0, but that has nothing to do with healer changes and everything to do with me going for MSQ on BLM. Besides I play WHM, so it isn't like things got worse for me.

Last edited:

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
All right. Should I skip the boring fetch quests?
The ones at lvl 1 are useful to reach lvl 5 asap and unlock a bunch of stuff, but past that, you can skip every sidequest(normal small yellow icon) and leave them for alt leveling or whatever. You just stick to the MSQ(flame icon) and the blue ones(unlock stuff, can be dungeons, features like retainer ventures, random places like the gold saucer etc). Can skip the blue ones that unlock dungeons at 50/60 too since these are pretty optional until you need poetics and want to check them out, but the lvling ones are worth unlocking. Also do your class quests(should be blue too iirc, they're displayed under the MSQ in the Scenario guide window in the top left, if it's hidden HUD layout > right click on it to make it visible again, shows next MSQ and next class quest).

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Started the game for the first time yesterday (free trial) and it was pretty good. Any tips for newcomers? I sucks that I can't privately message anyone in the free trial.

By the way, how is the game doing? Is it dying? Am I too late to the party?

Stay on top of the hunting log for your class, as it's a great way to get exp as you level.

At lv15(and when you've done the quest that opens up travel to the other cities), look for a quest from Limsa called "Rising to the Challenge". Doing this unlocks your Challenge Log, a weekly set of tasks that rewards either a lot of gil, or a lot of exp for doing tasks you'll be doing during play anyway(things like crafting certain things if you go that route, doing leves, doing FATEs, doing dungeons, etc). I didn't know this existed until past lv50, and it hurt finding out about it later. :p

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Another incredibly easy fashion report this week. You can get the 100 point achievement for even less than last week.

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Are there any good FFXIV YouTube channels? Preferably where I could watch the person starting from the beginning. I always find it less interesting watching a YouTube channel where the person already knows everything in an mmo.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

Another incredibly easy fashion report this week. You can get the 100 point achievement for even less than last week.

With make it rain + FC buff an 80+ on fashion report would be 99,000 MGP right?

70? You have to go through 130 floors of junk just to get back up to 181. Honestly SE should have made PoTD group focused for the fixed party only section (i.e. 101+). At least HoH doesn't have an extra 100 terrible floors.

Whoops, you're right. I did the math wrong on that. Suffice it to say, the good part is good but there are a ton of boring floors.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is here a good place to look for 5.0+ statics, particularly LGBT heavy groups? I'm a healer on Chaos, maining White Mage and planning to continue with it, with Astrologian as a second favourite. I'm looking for a solidly skilled group - hardly world first or anything just competent at progging at a good pace, doing homework, communicating etc - out of a static as much as I'm looking for a friendly group of people to get to know and play with.

I've been playing WHM since 2.0, raiding every other tier or so, so I feel very comfortable with it now and am liking the look of the changes and its potential for minmaxing DPS!

I know this is a really niche LFG post so if anyone knows of nice LGBT-focused communities I can also put the word out to, that would be great. I've also posted on the Gayorzea discord.

three weeks y'all

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Is here a good place to look for 5.0+ statics, particularly LGBT heavy groups? I'm a healer on Chaos, maining White Mage and planning to continue with it, with Astrologian as a second favourite. I'm looking for a solidly skilled group - hardly world first or anything just competent at progging at a good pace, doing homework, communicating etc - out of a static as much as I'm looking for a friendly group of people to get to know and play with.

I've been playing WHM since 2.0, raiding every other tier or so, so I feel very comfortable with it now and am liking the look of the changes and its potential for minmaxing DPS!

I know this is a really niche LFG post so if anyone knows of nice LGBT-focused communities I can also put the word out to, that would be great. I've also posted on the Gayorzea discord.

three weeks y'all
There is a discord for the EU raiding scene and that is probably your best bet?

Do mind though I have no idea how friendly it is. There are comments in the reddit thread about the general channel being bad so not sure how they will treat someone looking for a LGBT heavy group.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
There is a discord for the EU raiding scene and that is probably your best bet?

Do mind though I have no idea how friendly it is. There are comments in the reddit thread about the general channel being bad so not sure how they will treat someone looking for a LGBT heavy group.
Thanks, will take a look! No harm in trying - and if they turn out to be elitist/shitlords then no big loss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.