• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Also, you may have a tough time finding a serious group as a WHM, most groups will want an AST over a WHM tbf
Well I'm not looking for a group so hardcore they're going to gatekeep jobs unless one was irreparably broken until 5.1, but also would raise my eyebrow at anyone who thinks they can tell how all the jobs are going to perform before the expansion is even out. But yeah it's a non issue since I'm looking for a group that can prog and clear raids and have a good time while doing so, not gonna be chasing 99% fflogs parses

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm not looking for a group so hardcore they're going to gatekeep jobs unless one was irreparably broken until 5.1, but also would raise my eyebrow at anyone who thinks they can tell how all the jobs are going to perform before the expansion is even out. But yeah it's a non issue since I'm looking for a group that can prog and clear raids and have a good time while doing so, not gonna be chasing 99% fflogs parses
Well, WHM didn't gain any utility, so it is not going to be as desired as Astro. I'm not saying that it will be impossible to find a group, but even non 99% fflogs groups have started recruiting meta comp. Like for alpha it was almost impossible to find a semi-serious group as a WHM(I had to switch to AST, which seeing as it is way more fun, I am glad that I did)

The issue is a combination of meta and that WHM is so much easier to play than the other 2 healers, that there are so many more of them than AST and SCH, so groups can be more picky about someone even if they are willing to take a WHM.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I'm like " Yo I should be more open and make more friends in the game " and then I see shit like eureka shout chat and i'm like " Nah now I remember why I keep to myself, ya'll weird "
Eureka shout chat is full of edgelords trying to be funny

dfgjlklkj.PNG

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know pros and con of each Alliance raid or which one should I run to farm the mog tomes easily?
LotA is the fastest I think (around 14 mins), but it has a lot of trash to kill, the annoying atomos split, and if you burn the last boss too fast you can wipe adding a couple of more mins to your run.

ST is braindead easy, hard to wipe, and takes about 15 - 17 mins.

WoD, didn't bother trying this one recently cause I always hated how long CoD takes to kill. Guessing it's the longest to clear of the three, but I'm not sure.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LotA is the fastest I think (around 14 mins), but it has a lot of trash to kill, the annoying atomos split, and if you burn the last boss too fast you can wipe adding a couple of more mins to your run.

ST is braindead easy, hard to wipe, and takes about 15 - 17 mins.

WoD, didn't bother trying this one recently cause I always hated how long CoD takes to kill. Guessing it's the longest to clear of the three, but I'm not sure.
ST is easiest and fastest

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Alright gonna do ST then, thanks for the info, I've been doing main scenario roulette but I can't take it anymore, specially praetorium, hate when there is not even new player bonus, I was using that extra exp to level up SCH but it is just not worth it. I wish I could get ST from alliance roulette.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alright gonna do ST then, thanks for the info, I've been doing main scenario roulette but I can't take it anymore, specially praetorium, hate when there is not even new player bonus, I was using that extra exp to level up SCH but it is just not worth it. I wish I could get ST from alliance roulette.
I get ST like 75% of the time now, you must just be getting really unlucky

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know pros and con of each Alliance raid or which one should I run to farm the mog tomes easily?

Tower is generally a little faster, however groups have been spamming both and queue times can vary. If you want to spam mog tombs, just queue up for both and it will kick you into the first one available.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Been a week since my data recovery request. Starting to think it'll never happen. Though knowing my luck, I'll start doing things and boom, it'll happen. Isn't there a chat support I can use?

Edit: Oh wait, the chat option is now available. Here we go.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What jobs are best if you want to mostly want to solo the game? My original character I ended up working up to becoming a Black Mage. I managed to get to it but I hit a point a while after where I started to struggle with larger story enemies. Couldn't tell you the name of it but one in a snow section just kept kicking my arse and that was the last time I played.

I'm considering starting a new character from scratch and hoping to do everything right from the beginning (along with paying more attention to the story) so I wanted to make sure I picked a job which is fun and can be played solo pretty easily so any help in that area would be greatly appreciated!

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
What jobs are best if you want to mostly want to solo the game? My original character I ended up working up to becoming a Black Mage. I managed to get to it but I hit a point a while after where I started to struggle with larger story enemies. Couldn't tell you the name of it but one in a snow section just kept kicking my arse and that was the last time I played.

I'm considering starting a new character from scratch and hoping to do everything right from the beginning (along with paying more attention to the story) so I wanted to make sure I picked a job which is fun and can be played solo pretty easily so any help in that area would be greatly appreciated!

I'm mostly a solo player and I would say any healer is great, I struggle a lot on solo duties and such with other classes to the point I will have to be overgeared but healer is quite forgiving, plus you will have nice queue times for those inevitable dungeons / trials.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Everything can solo the MSQ totally fine. You're still going to hav eto group for dungeons for the story.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
With all the housing demolishing today I'm reminded how garbage the housing system in this game is. Really wish they just instance full houses I'd take fake npc neighbors over scarcity caused by making housing areas shared. Also Goblet is so obnoxious to navigate no wonder no one wants to live there.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Looking into it elsewhere some people seem to say that Summoner is pretty fun to play solo. Maybe I'll try that.

That's a great choice with their tanking pet (although the pet system is going to change when ShB comes out, specially for the tanking one) , and with a Chocobo you become a one person army, and again bias here, you get a free healing job (Scholar) leveling summoner.

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
You can also try Red Mage once you get to 50. It's a DPS so damage won't be a problem anywhere, and they learn a healing spell starting at lv52 that is as strong as a healer to keep themselves up.

Also don't forget to make use of your chocobo, if you're not already.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Looking into it elsewhere some people seem to say that Summoner is pretty fun to play solo. Maybe I'll try that.

Summon is good solo because not only do you get the pets to help with the solo questing and exploration, you also get a free Healer at level 30 that levels with you meaning from level 30 you go from the long DPS queues to the mush faster healer queues (if you so choose).

EDIT: Of course, everyone already mentioned that.

Oct 26, 2017
Tank stances aren't really a big reason why people don't tank. Too many people feel anxious because tanks tend to be seen as the (temporary) leader of the party because they dictate the pace. Also the idea of failing as a tank being more punishing than failing as a dps.

I won't be healing on release of 5.0, but that has nothing to do with healer changes and everything to do with me going for MSQ on BLM. Besides I play WHM, so it isn't like things got worse for me.

True.

I started this game as a tank so a lot of the complaints/anxiety people have over the role is alien to me.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
True.

I started this game as a tank so a lot of the complaints/anxiety people have over the role is alien to me.

One more dungeon and I'll have my first tank at level 70. I definitely had tank anxiety at the start but I'm a lot less nervous about it now. It's not that bad. I let everyone know that I'm new to tanking and they were always cool about it. It's definitely a time thing. My first role was healer and I would shit bricks but now it's super chill. Now that I'm a higher level though, I kinda worry about tank busters. They're a lot harder to mitigate than I thought since they're so fast. I find myself having to think about which cooldown to use.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Today must have been the first day of auto demolition purge. There are a lot of houses available. Every housing area has plots available.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just got Encyclopedia Eorzea I+II in the mail today from the Square Store. Just read through a few pages of Vol I so far, but I'm pleasantly surprised with just how dense it seems to be packed with lore. To be honest I'm not sure if I'll get around to reading all of it (each book is something like 300 pages or so), but I've put so much time into XIV that it just feels nice to to have a reference into the world of Eorzea (including more backstory into what happened prior to the current story) to peruse at my leisure. Don't think it's for everyone, but definitely cool if you're really into the lore and want to know more.

Also was pleasantly surprised the code for the Namingway minion with Vol 1 still works, as the store page said the codes were only valid till Dec 2018. The code that came with the book says it doesn't expire, so guessing they must have changed it with this new print run of the books.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Controllers will now vibrate when you've been matched in the Duty Finder and the confirmation window appears!"

I'm going to forget about this, and this is 100% going to scare the shit out of me more than once.

One more dungeon and I'll have my first tank at level 70. I definitely had tank anxiety at the start but I'm a lot less nervous about it now. It's not that bad. I let everyone know that I'm new to tanking and they were always cool about it. It's definitely a time thing. My first role was healer and I would shit bricks but now it's super chill. Now that I'm a higher level though, I kinda worry about tank busters. They're a lot harder to mitigate than I thought since they're so fast. I find myself having to think about which cooldown to use.

Mapping out your cooldowns during prog helps that a lot.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Mapping out your cooldowns during prog helps that a lot.

Yeah I mapped out Sentinel, Rampart, Bulwark, and Shelton in the same controller slot thingy. Since they're doing away with the tank stances I'll have more space in the expansion too.

Now that I'm level 70 with PLD, I guess all that's left is to gear up. I also wanna practice more though. Are there any easy trials I can do to practice tank swapping?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Now that I'm level 70 with PLD, I guess all that's left is to gear up. I also wanna practice more though. Are there any easy trials I can do to practice tank swapping?

Susano Ex is easier than the story version, but I don't know if you'll really get to practice swapping. Most tanks just eat the tank buster. Maybe put up a practice group and say you want to swap?

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mapped out Sentinel, Rampart, Bulwark, and Shelton in the same controller slot thingy. Since they're doing away with the tank stances I'll have more space in the expansion too.

Cooldown mapping like this, although that certainly helps.

Getting PUGs to actually swap at this point if it's not 100% necessary is going to be difficult. You'll probably want to grab a buddy and practice it on a dummy.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever have trouble with triggering SE's suspicious activity sensor? Every time I log into the SE store with my FFXIV account, my account gets locked and I have to reset my password.

Oct 27, 2017
Even with all these houses being available, this timer stuff is killing me. 10 plus hours and there are people constantly running by clicking the placard.

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone ever have trouble with triggering SE's suspicious activity sensor? Every time I log into the SE store with my FFXIV account, my account gets locked and I have to reset my password.
Do you have a security token enabled on your account? If you don't, it should stop when you do. The only way to not get flagged without a security token is to have static IP.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I saw homie streaming and he was using the controller set up, and had buttons outside on the sides of the controller sit up , how do you do that.

For clarification. For controller users you have the usual set up right, different like " slides " of buttons you can switch between maped to the face buttons and the directionals. On the right and left side respectively. He had buttons on the side of those slides, how do you do that?

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw homie streaming and he was using the controller set up, and had buttons outside on the sides of the controller sit up , how do you do that.

For clarification. For controller users you have the usual set up right, different like " slides " of buttons you can switch between maped to the face buttons and the directionals. On the right and left side respectively. He had buttons on the side of those slides, how do you do that?
That's the WXHB, its under hotbar settings

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Messing around on an alt character and going through the ARR story, I forgot how much of an insufferable shit Alphinaud was and how far Heavensward went to redeem him.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Alphinaud and Alisaie even before HW. Alphinaud never really wore on me.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of, can I just watch the Crystal Tower cutscenes at the inn and be caught up or will I miss some stuff that the cutscene viewer won't show you? I skipped everything back when I first did it.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Speaking of, can I just watch the Crystal Tower cutscenes at the inn and be caught up or will I miss some stuff that the cutscene viewer won't show you? I skipped everything back when I first did it.
You can just watch in the inn, only thing you'd be missing is the content of the raids themselves, but since they don't have NPCs running around talking to you, it's pretty much nothing(unlike say Ivalice raids which have a bit of lore inside the raids themselves with NPCs speaking to you and various notes to read if you want to).

Status
Not open for further replies.