• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got done with 4.0 last night. I've been thinking about gear for the 4.X patch quests, specifically the gear requirements for the dungeons and trials. I'm thinking that I could get up to 4.3 with gear I can easily get (upgrade my Rakshasa weapon into Yoma, everything else being lvl70 AF armor). Is it going to be impossible to get into the 4.3-4.5 dungeons/trials if I wait for EA to buy ilvl390 (or 385, what ever it ends up being) with Poetics and then run through those, rather than spending over a million gil on buying a full set of Rakshasa now?
You need 370 iirc for 4.5 stuff

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
You need 370 iirc for 4.5 stuff
Yes, but I'm not sure what part of my post you're responding to? I know the gear I have that I listed is pretty far from 370 (it's about 305), but I'm only expecting to do Skalla and solo stuff through 4.2 with it. The dilemma is between buying ilvl380 now for like 1+ mil gil or waiting for the 28th to get ilvl390 very easily and take my chances with the queue times. Either way I'll be above the ilvl req for 4.5

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but I'm not sure what part of my post you're responding to? I know the gear I have that I listed is pretty far from 370 (it's about 305), but I'm only expecting to do Skalla and solo stuff through 4.2 with it. The dilemma is between buying ilvl380 now for like 1+ mil gil or waiting for the 28th to get ilvl390 very easily and take my chances with the queue times. Either way I'll be above the ilvl req for 4.5
DPS que times for former level cap dungeons are awful because the roulette rewards are shit

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
DPS que times for former level cap dungeons are awful because the roulette rewards are shit
Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about. I'd really rather not blow basically half my money (I only have a little over 2mil gil), though
I could buy ilvl390 gear for my SCH on the 28th and run those as SCH, but I'd rather not run dungeons for the first time as healer

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about. I'd really rather not blow basically half my money (I only have a little over 2mil gil), though
I could buy ilvl390 gear for my SCH on the 28th and run those as SCH, but I'd rather not run dungeons for the first time as healer
Honestly you can get a tomestone chest piece pretty easily (i390) and then do some 4.4 dungeons to farm some 375 gear

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really do hope the Shadowbringers dungeon boss theme is good cause Triumph was a banger for me and so far is my favorite dungeon boss theme

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really do hope the Shadowbringers dungeon boss theme is good cause Triumph was a banger for me and so far is my favorite dungeon boss theme
We've already heard the dungeon boss theme. It's easily findable on youtube, unless you're avoiding it until you get into the game yourself.

I think it's awesome!!!

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Frick, just realized I can't double weave on DRK reliably even without BW. Shame I live in the far off high ping wasteland of Toronto. I'm really sick of getting excited to play a job only to realize I'm not allowed to play it.

Time to see how GNB is for double weaves I guess.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to chime in to say "First World Problems" is genius and it would be criminal not to go with it.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to chime in to say "First World Problems" is genius and it would be criminal not to go with it.
I'm not kidding, "First Shard Problems" is the OT title I've been planning on for weeks.

If people like it so much I'll stick with it, but do people really prefer "First World Problems" over "First Shard Problems"? I feel the second is more apt since it's a XIV-centric play on the phrase.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not kidding, "First Shard Problems" is the OT title I've been planning on for weeks.

If people like it so much I'll stick with it, but do people really prefer "First World Problems" over "First Shard Problems"? I feel the second is more apt since it's a XIV-centric play on the phrase.
"First World Problems" is the funnier way to play it. The joke is that it's a perfectly accurate way to summarize the expansion, and swapping out words only dilutes the impact.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"First World Problems" is the funnier way to play it. The joke is that it's a perfectly accurate way to summarize the expansion, and swapping out words only dilutes the impact.
I don't want to be that guy but technically the Source is the "first world". The First is the first shard, lol.

Either way I'll put it to a vote this weekend and whatever the community decides, it goes to.
First World is better
Sounds like more people like this one so it's likely what we'll go with.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Had a lot of crashes in BA this morning

Event viewer says WHEA-Logger Event ID 19. A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Corrected Machine Check Error Type: Internal parity error Processor APIC ID: 2

Rarely use Discord, but I do use it for BA runs. Has anyone had issues with Discord or it's overlay crashing FFXIV with a mix of Audio/DX11 errors and sometimes 0 errors and it just closes?

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to be that guy but technically the Source is the "first world". The First is the first shard, lol.

Either way I'll put it to a vote this weekend and whatever the community decides, it goes to.

Sounds like more people like this one so it's likely what we'll go with.
First Shard is technically more accurate in-universe but it doesn't have the play on words that First World does, and it will really only make sense to people who already play the game

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First Shard is technically more accurate in-universe but it doesn't have the play on words that First World does, and it will really only make sense to people who already play the game
It's in basically all the literature for the expansion story, both interviews and press stuff. The concept is already out there so they're pretty specific with how it's described. I can almost guarantee you if there is a MSQ name using this in-game it will be "First Shard Problems." "First World Problems" isn't even a play on a phrase, it is the original phrase. Shard is already wonderfully similar to World in that it's a one syllable word ending in "D" so I think it works a lot better as a parody.

But even so I'm not going to leave the decision up to myself. If people like one over the other more, who am I to say no?

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
It's in basically all the literature for the expansion story, both interviews and press stuff. The concept is already out there so they're pretty specific with how it's described. I can almost guarantee you if there is a MSQ name using this in-game it will be "First Shard Problems." "First World Problems" isn't even a play on a phrase, it is the original phrase. Shard is already wonderfully similar to World in that it's a one syllable word ending in "D" so I think it works a lot better as a parody.

But even so I'm not going to leave the decision up to myself. If people like one over the other more, who am I to say no?
This game is also bringing back / in new people so making it more casual and less in-lingo helps to get newblood in.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This game is also bringing back / in new people so making it more casual and less in-lingo helps to get newblood in.
Makes sense, I get what you mean. I just personally feel like the distinction isn't worth using the less FFXIV-ish title since the concept is foreign to newbies either way. Why would a new player consider an alternate reality to be the -first- world?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Had a lot of crashes in BA this morning

Event viewer says WHEA-Logger Event ID 19. A corrected hardware error has occurred.
Reported by component: Processor Core Error Source: Corrected Machine Check Error Type: Internal parity error Processor APIC ID: 2

Rarely use Discord, but I do use it for BA runs. Has anyone had issues with Discord or it's overlay crashing FFXIV with a mix of Audio/DX11 errors and sometimes 0 errors and it just closes?

Discord's overlay is no bueno. Overlays in general love to fuck things up.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for Shadowbringers, because last night I was running a dungeon and we wiped over some stupid shit, and I was half paying attention and didn't put up an Oath after the wipe. You can guess how that went.

Oaths are gone, thank the lord.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I hope they bring stances back in 6.0. They should give every job a DPS and defense stance. Completely remove defensive cooldowns and let everyone dance back and forth from DPS stand to defense stance before a big hit comes out.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Can't wait for Shadowbringers, because last night I was running a dungeon and we wiped over some stupid shit, and I was half paying attention and didn't put up an Oath after the wipe. You can guess how that went.

I'll be glad to no longer remind randoms to turn on Shield Oath, or Grit, or Darkside.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
13 days.

WJ1RRyA.png

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

I've tanked for only like three weeks and I'm already sick of the Oaths. I'm so glad they're gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.