• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Finally wrapped SB this weekend. Apparently I was only like a couple hours from credits when last I played near the end of 2017.

Now the post-game content tour begins. Hoping to at least visit all the dungeons and raids once before Shadowbringers. In prior expansions I also was more active and earned relic weapons for my main, but not gonna bother with Eureka.

Apart from the issues with solo instances, I don't think any previous launch has been that rocky. I guess we'll see.

SB launch was very smooth, shockingly so as I recall.
ARR was pretty rough though and HW a bit rocky but mostly acceptable after several hours of login issues.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
sbcd_08d_Z3OfYM.png

8 Days to Shadowbringers...

Or 4 days for everyone in Early Access. (Most i'd assume)

Also Highlander Hyur are best.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm off Friday, but I'm in no rush at all. Just going to enjoy the story at my own pace, take in the new zones, go into the dungeons blind.

Going in as DRK so I don't care about getting my challenge log ready, or xp buffs or anything else like that. Start of a new expansion and a glorious new world ahead of us. Going to take my time.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Decided to give this game a shot yesterday since I've heard so many good things about it with all the talk around the expansion.

Downloaded the free trial version and put in a solid 8 hours or so throughout the day. Really enjoying it so far, started as a Thaumatage and got to level 24 but then got a bit antsy and started playing as a Gladiator...the melee combat is pretty fun. I also really like how well the game plays with a controller.

Only problem now is I'm conflicted if I should keep going with my THM or GLD. Is Tanking or DPS going to be more fun in this game at end game?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Only problem now is I'm conflicted if I should keep going with my THM or GLD. Is Tanking or DPS going to be more fun in this game at end game?

It depends on the player. I tanked from the time I started in January 2017 until 4.2. I was always a nervous wreck after any dungeon or trial was finished. I always dreading party content. There's a lot less pressure as a DPS, but it has worse queues than a tank or healer.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
So i was thinking of jumping back in this game but my inactive account (non steam version) only has the base game. If i buy the FFXIV complete edition, can i then use only the expansions in that package on my current account??

Medica II

Alt account
Banned
Jun 14, 2019
Decided to give this game a shot yesterday since I've heard so many good things about it with all the talk around the expansion.

Downloaded the free trial version and put in a solid 8 hours or so throughout the day. Really enjoying it so far, started as a Thaumatage and got to level 24 but then got a bit antsy and started playing as a Gladiator...the melee combat is pretty fun. I also really like how well the game plays with a controller.

In terms of fun factor I would rank the roles as such

Healer > Tank > Melee DPS > Caster DPS > Ranged DPS

Everyone is different though. That said, you'll have a much easier and faster time queuing into Duty Finder content as a Tank, and BLM really does not have a good reputation when it comes to endgame content to say the least lol.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Pick whatever you enjoy, and dont be afraid to swap jobs.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Thanks for the responses guys. I tend to have alt-aholic syndrome in MMOs and how easy it is to switch between jobs is definitely exacerbating the issue! I don't wanna fall too far behind with a bunch of level 20s though!

Honestly I'm surprised to see you rank healer as the top Medica II - is there something unique for healing in this game compared to others?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Some peeps were telling me that Paladin in FF14 has nothing to do with Holy. Since it's just called Knight in Japan...

But in Shadowbringers they straight up have an attack, Holy Circle.

Thinking_Face_Emoji_large.png

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the responses guys. I tend to have alt-aholic syndrome in MMOs and how easy it is to switch between jobs is definitely exacerbating the issue! I don't wanna fall too far behind with a bunch of level 20s though!

Honestly I'm surprised to see you rank healer as the top Medica II - is there something unique for healing in this game compared to others?
Always thought the best thing about FF14 is the ability to switch jobs on the fly. I'm often going between DPS and Tank depending on what my group need. Often queuing whilst I'm a miner.

I like that there's history with my character and it's been on the journey with me. I think in MMO's your first character would always feel like the main one.
Not to mention the fact that you have to go through the game again rather than just level those alts.

Medica II

Alt account
Banned
Jun 14, 2019

This game was my first and only "modern" MMO so I can't say how it compares to others, but the main reason I like Healer is the spontaneity of it. As other roles you're pretty much doing the exact same thing every time in a fight. Like as DPS, you literally never change what you are doing, and as Tank the only time you have to ad-lib is if you're off-tanking and the main tank suddenly dies to something. But as a Healer the way you approach a fight varies considerably depending on what the rest of your group is doing, as its your job to compensate for others people's mistakes (within reason), especially in progression where everyone is learning the fight and making lots of errors.

Also Healers have the ultimate troll ability in the game: Rescue. I will never get tired of abusing that to mess with people lol.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game was my first and only "modern" MMO so I can't say how it compares to others, but the main reason I like Healer is the spontaneity of it. As other roles you're pretty much doing the exact same thing every time in a fight. Like as DPS, you literally never change what you are doing, and as Tank the only time you have to ad-lib is if you're off-tanking and the main tank suddenly dies to something. But as a Healer the way you approach a fight varies considerably depending on what the rest of your group is doing, as its your job to compensate for others people's mistakes (within reason), especially in progression whee everyone is learning the fight and making errors.

Also Healers have the ultimate troll ability in the game in rescue. I will never get tired of abusing that to mess with people lol.
Can confirm these days I'm more shocked that rescue is being used on me for it's actual use than thankful, such is the rarity of that happening lmao.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
So i was thinking of jumping back in this game but my inactive account (non steam version) only has the base game. If i buy the FFXIV complete edition, can i then use only the expansions in that package on my current account??
You don't need to buy the complete edition if you already own the base game, the latest expansion includes all previous expansions so you just need to buy the $40 Shadowbringers expansion on the 2nd to get everything.

If you want to play now, heavensward is free to own for the next 4 days.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Always thought the best thing about FF14 is the ability to switch jobs on the fly. I'm often going between DPS and Tank depending on what my group need. Often queuing whilst I'm a miner.

I like that there's history with my character and it's been on the journey with me. I think in MMO's your first character would always feel like the main one.
Not to mention the fact that you have to go through the game again rather than just level those alts.

I do really like that as well. Maybe the best thing to do is try each one to level 25-30 and then decide from there. My only issue is that I'm not really sure where to go quest wise. Since I've done all the low level quests up to level 25 on my THM on my GLD I'm not sure where to go since my main story arc is at higher level. I've just been grinding the Levee quests to try and catch up.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
You don't need to buy the complete edition if you already own the base game, the latest expansion includes all previous expansions so you just need to buy the $40 Shadowbringers expansion on the 2nd to get everything.

If you want to play now, heavensward is free to own for the next 4 days.

Thanks or the info! Guess i'll just get the Shadowbringers expansion.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I did like Stormblood but I do think I overall liked Heavensward more.

I feel like the improvements we saw in Stormblood mean that Shadowbringers will (hopefully) be the best of the bunch.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing for first time FF XIV thanks to the free trial, but I have a question, I'm sure the game told me I can transfer my character to a full digital version, but I can do the same with a physical release? Specifically the upcoming Shadowbringers PS4 release.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Noticed I had 25 side quests, lv 68 - 69, in The Peaks and decided to finish them but not hand in. Should net me around 2.7mil xp which I hope is a decent starting xp boost on friday. Having all of them so close by means I can quickly turn them in and then start ShB.

So what 3 jobs is everybody going to level first in 5.0? I'm doing NIN, PLD, then SCH
Not 100% decided yet. NIN and SAM for sure and one of those will be my main at first. After that I am deciding on DRG, GNB or SCH/SMN. Probably GNB though because it looks like great fun.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing for first time FF XIV thanks to the free trial, but I have a question, I'm sure the game told me I can transfer my character to a full digital version, but I can do the same with a physical release? Specifically the upcoming Shadowbringers PS4 release.

There is no difference in the account for physical or digital versions.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Stormblood had such a dull story imo. They rushed through the portions that initially felt like they'd be the entirety of the expansion, making a lot of the 4.1-4.4 story feel sorta like filler. Shadowbringers on it's own feels like it'll be more impactful overall (especially since the person who writes the DRK quests is a main scenario writer for Shadowbringers) and I'm looking forward to the raid being closely tied to the MSQ again.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do really like that as well. Maybe the best thing to do is try each one to level 25-30 and then decide from there. My only issue is that I'm not really sure where to go quest wise. Since I've done all the low level quests up to level 25 on my THM on my GLD I'm not sure where to go since my main story arc is at higher level. I've just been grinding the Levee quests to try and catch up.
If it's a brand new alt job, doing your challenge log (each base job has their own one) for each one is a tidy amount of xp to get you up to 10/15. Then dungeons or if the queues are bad, Palace of the dead (particularly for DPS).

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stormblood had such a dull story imo. They rushed through the portions that initially felt like they'd be the entirety of the expansion, making a lot of the 4.1-4.4 story feel sorta like filler. Shadowbringers on it's own feels like it'll be more impactful overall (especially since the person who writes the DRK quests is a main scenario writer for Shadowbringers) and I'm looking forward to the raid being closely tied to the MSQ again.
I am looking forward to a better story for the raid. Omega felt pretty week compared to say Bahamut. That was way more impactful and related to the main story.

The Ivalice one was decent though, despite me not liking 12 very much. Interested to see how they can tie a Nier raid to 14.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Some peeps were telling me that Paladin in FF14 has nothing to do with Holy. Since it's just called Knight in Japan...

But in Shadowbringers they straight up have an attack, Holy Circle.

Thinking_Face_Emoji_large.png

They were outright lying to you. We already have an attack called Holy Spirit. See also: Hallowed Ground.

They're probably talking about the fact that in Japan, the job is known as Knight, but even there the English is "Paladin".

Last edited:

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So what 3 jobs is everybody going to level first in 5.0? I'm doing NIN, PLD, then SCH
DRK for the MSQ, and because I like a lot of the changes. Might end up raiding on it.
Then I'll give GBN a try, see if I like it more than DRK. If I do, level that.
And finally MNK because despite the changes and controversy I need to know what Greased Lightning 4 feels like before my cold body is put in the ground.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
if you run out of quest, do the dungeons. not sure if trial have access to palace of the dead or not though.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah.

Didn't stop from people telling me that Paladins in FF14 have nothing to do with it.

I honestly really hope there is specific dialogue if you run Paladin vs Dark Knight.
I actually posted a bunch of stuff a few pages back, the main misconception is because the title for the class in japanese is Knight, and people assume that means it's not holy, but it's Knight in english, as opposed to the japanese word for knight(Naito instead of Kishi), which inherently implies a different type of knight which in past FF generally meant having access to White Magic, and the term Paladin is actually also used on all official sources in japanese for the class. Plus most skills being in english and having the same name(Divine Veil, Holy Spirit, Clemency, although Hallowed Ground isn't called that in Japanese), the fact it could use Conjurer cross class skills back in the days and Rage of Halone with refers directly to a divinity.

So overall, it's a massive misconception just based on the fact that the name of the class is Knight but not understanding that naming something in english has significance.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Also patch notes

I actually posted a bunch of stuff a few pages back, the main misconception is because the title for the class in japanese is Knight, and people assume that means it's not holy, but it's Knight in english, as opposed to the japanese word for knight(Naito instead of Kishi), which inherently implies a different type of knight which in past FF generally meant having access to White Magic, and the term Paladin is actually also used on all official sources in japanese for the class. Plus most skills being in english and having the same name(Divine Veil, Holy Spirit, Clemency, although Hallowed Ground isn't called that in Japanese), the fact it could use Conjurer cross class skills back in the days and Rage of Halone with refers directly to a divinity.

So overall, it's a massive misconception just based on the fact that the name of the class is Knight but not understanding that naming something in english has significance.

That makes sense.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
Hello, I recently submitted an application and I'm posting here just to make it easier to verify I'm apart of ResetEra lol. Looking forward to playing with all of you!

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna log out on Lamia Wednesday night for shortest login que Friday. Watch as everyone on Primal has this idea and Lamia actually has the longest login que.

Status
Not open for further replies.