• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Is there pre-load for this ahead of early access?
During the maintenance, not before.

Gonna log out on Lamia Wednesday night for shortest login que Friday. Watch as everyone on Primal has this idea and Lamia actually has the longest login que.
On one hand, yeah, but on the other, you can't use retainers and who knows when you'll be able to go back if they decide to take it down due to performance issues or whatever. Make sure to get whatever you need before you do that imo.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
During the maintenance, not before.

On one hand, yeah, but on the other, you can't use retainers and who knows when you'll be able to go back if they decide to take it down due to performance issues or whatever. Make sure to get whatever you need before you do that imo.

Nice, has it come up at a random time during maintenance in the past? If it comes right when maintenance starts I figure 24 hours is enough to get everything downloaded.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I actually posted a bunch of stuff a few pages back, the main misconception is because the title for the class in japanese is Knight, and people assume that means it's not holy, but it's Knight in english, as opposed to the japanese word for knight(Naito instead of Kishi), which inherently implies a different type of knight which in past FF generally meant having access to White Magic, and the term Paladin is actually also used on all official sources in japanese for the class. Plus most skills being in english and having the same name(Divine Veil, Holy Spirit, Clemency, although Hallowed Ground isn't called that in Japanese), the fact it could use Conjurer cross class skills back in the days and Rage of Halone with refers directly to a divinity.

So overall, it's a massive misconception just based on the fact that the name of the class is Knight but not understanding that naming something in english has significance.
Part of my problem with PLD is that it's often not been very... Paladin-y with it's job quests. Most of the flavor with the Holy-themed stuff is from the abilities that started in Heavensward and not the actual story that goes alongside the job. That said, it's important to remember that Holy and astral-aspected aether are two completely different things. Dark Knights aren't channeling the Void and Paladin isn't channeling whatever the Flood of Light almost did.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, has it come up at a random time during maintenance in the past? If it comes right when maintenance starts I figure 24 hours is enough to get everything downloaded.

iirc, they split up the patch into 2 downloads. One early on to a few hours after maintenance starts and the other several hours before the servers go live.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
YO, so does any of ya'll know if the steam users can continue to use non steam version of the launcher during shadowbringers? Cause they mentioned it before months back that steam users would have to use the steam launcher but it has yet to be changed. Reckon I gotta use the steam launcher?

Edit: use

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
YO, so does any of ya'll know if the steam users can continue to use non steam version of the launcher during shadowbringers? Cause they mentioned it before months back that steam users would have to use the steam launcher but it has yet to be changed. Reckon I gotta use the steam launcher?

They found a bug at the last moment last time and delayed it till late April or later. They haven't given another update since so I'd say it's a toss up on whether they implement it on Friday or push it back till after the launch window.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico

No idea but I've been using the Steam launcher this entire time with no issues so I guess if you want to play it safe you can switch to it so when Valve decides to enforce it, then you won't be caught with your pants down.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's... honestly kind of hard to tell. Like maybe it's just me but depending on the skin and nose of FemRoe's they can look kind of close to Fem Highlanders.
True, but I suppose the other thing you have to consider is the one depicted here is taller than a Viera ! But yeah you are right in that they can be similar.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
True, but I suppose the other thing you have to consider is the one depicted here is taller than a Viera ! But yeah you are right in that they can be similar.

I thought Viera were taller than Roes. I assumed this was a short Viera haha.

latest

I honestly thought Moenbryda was a unusually tall Highlander.

I'm bad with this stuff. Thought Gosetsu was a really big Hyur that they decided to use a mix of Hyur stuff and Roe body.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Viera were taller than Roes. I assumed this was a short Viera haha.

latest

I honestly thought Moenbryda was a unusually tall Highlander.

I'm bad with this stuff. Thought Gosetsu was a really big Hyur that they decided to use a mix of Hyur stuff and Roe body.
Tbh Moenbryda always struck me as another half-blood character, being Roe/Human, just due to her extremely human skin color. Though the lore doesn't say anything about that. I like that you bring her up because she's probably my favorite character in the game (*teardrop*).

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh Moenbryda always struck me as another half-blood character, being Roe/Human, just due to her extremely human skin color. Though the lore doesn't say anything about that. I like that you bring her up because she's probably my favorite character in the game (*teardrop*).

IIRC isn't that one lady in Ishgard one of the very few examples of a half-blood character? I can't remember her name...

Also maybe it's just me but I feel like Highlander Humans are always left out of promotional art and such. :(

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
They found a bug at the last moment last time and delayed it till late April or later. They haven't given another update since so I'd say it's a toss up on whether they implement it on Friday or push it back till after the launch window.
No idea but I've been using the Steam launcher this entire time with no issues so I guess if you want to play it safe you can switch to it so when Valve decides to enforce it, then you won't be caught with your pants down.
Ah cheers!... hmm gonna download in case on steam but usually had an issue with steam and mmos hence the use of non steam lol

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC isn't that one lady in Ishgard one of the very few examples of a half-blood character? I can't remember her name...

Also maybe it's just me but I feel like Highlander Humans are always left out of promotional art and such. :(
You're probably thinking of Hilda who is half-Hyur and half-Elezen. As far as I can remember, she's the only visually distinct mixed race character we've seen in the game.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You're probably thinking of Hilda who is half-Hyur and half-Elezen. As far as I can remember, she's the only visually distinct mixed race character we've seen in the game.

Ah.

Also in regards to the art, technically it could still be a Hyur. A Fem Highlander is taller than the shortest Viera. :)

Let me have this. xD

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

Speaking of Isghard characters, it feels like we haven't heard from Hilda in a while.

More importantly, I am surprised that lady night from Ishgard isn't back in the story considering she's from the empire and the increasing focus on that.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Isghard characters, it feels like we haven't heard from Hilda in a while.

More importantly, I am surprised that lady night from Ishgard isn't back in the story considering she's from the empire and the increasing focus on that.
It's been awhile since I've done the quests, but wasn't she part of the lv60-70 MCH story? I have a vague memory of either you or someone from the machinist guild helping train Hilda and her friends.

Lucia might get a bigger part once we actually go to Garlemald proper, at least I hope so.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Doesn't that one guy in Stormblood count as well? He's half Ala Mhigan and half Garlean, I keep forgetting his name.
Arenvald. I don't think he counts as a "visually distinct mixed race" because there are no Garlean elements of his design (he does not have the third eye because he is not pureblood), he's just (visually) a Hyur with war paint

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Just coming back to the game after a year break. Is Dark Knight really brain dead in 5.0? I'm leveling mine now and at 60 it's still super straight forward to the point of being kind of dry the more I play it. And that's before a bunch of skills are being removed in 5.0. Considering dropping it for a gunblade next week.

Also, thoughts on healers? Have a white mage at like 40, but not sure if I want to keep that.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone see this on /r/ffxiv. (4.X spoilers)

Gave me a good few laughs. I can always appreciate jokes like this.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't that one guy in Stormblood count as well? He's half Ala Mhigan and half Garlean, I keep forgetting his name.
Oh right the Highlander with the scar on his forehead, I totally forgot about him. Like rpm said, I wouldn't count him with Hilda. It's hard to tell he's mixed race since he just looks like a Highlander without the Garlean third eye. Although that makes sense since only full Garleans have that.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So my friend is level 46 right now.

When it comes to going through all of the 2.1 to 2.55 content, should we just get him some i110 gear from the stores in Ishgard, ignore all of the optional hard dungeons and just blow through the MSQ? Should we bother with the 24 man raids?

Will the required dungeons still give exp or no?

Also does the MSQ roulette dungeons give exp when not in the roulette?

filkry

Oct 25, 2017

When it comes to going through all of the 2.1 to 2.55 content, should we just get him some i110 gear from the stores in Ishgard, ignore all of the optional hard dungeons and just blow through the MSQ? Should we bother with the 24 man raids?

If he has poetics, he can get 120 gear in Mor Dhona. I would focus on blowing through the MSQ, he can go back to do optional stuff later if he wants to but right now I'm sure playing together is the priority.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico

Depends on what the goal is. I know when I first started playing, it was in the tail end of Heavensward, thus I avoided rushing and went through the content as it was originally released because I wanted to experience the game first and foremost. If that's what they want, I wouldn't rush. If all they care about is reaching Shadowbringers, then by all means rush and avoid all non-MSQ content.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
If he has poetics, he can get 120 gear in Mor Dhona. I would focus on blowing through the MSQ, he can go back to do optional stuff later if he wants to but right now I'm sure playing together is the priority.

I don't think he has poetics... I don't think you get them until your 50?

Depends on what the goal is. I know when I first started playing, it was in the tail end of Heavensward, thus I avoided rushing and went through the content as it was originally released because I wanted to experience game first and foremost. If that's what they want, I wouldn't rush. If all they care about is reaching Shadowbringers, then by all means rush and avoid all non-MSQ content.

Overall I'd say rush through to Shadowbringers.

Though for Heavensward and Stormblood I think we will still try to hit:

1. Getting flight, obviously.
2. Any optional Primal fights.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I finished the story, I guess there's going to be a big storm with this and the E3 trailer

edit: alright screw it gonna level a PLD before SHB

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

Speaking of half-breeds, now that there's a full lion race in the game, does that mean Miqote are just hybrids of Hrothgar and Hyurs? Did some hyur furries get together with some Hrothgars and have children?

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of half-breeds, now that there's a full lion race in the game, does that mean Miqote are just hybrids of Hrothgar and Hyurs? Did some hyur furries get together with some Hrothgars and have children?
Miqo'te and Hrothgar are both from Ilsabard (after the Miqo'te were forced there from Eorzea) so I guess it's possible. However the Miqo'te race is old enough to have been around during the Allagan era, so at this point even if Hrothgar were in their genetics they are distinct races now.

Oct 27, 2017

I'd do the 24 man raids. The Crystal Tower is pretty easy to get through, and you get the Alliance Raid roulette that gets you a lot of XP.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Been exclusively a BRD since ARR launch. So what happens if I switch jobs?

All quests are complete on my character so basically run leves and dungeons to level? I've never swapped so just unclear if I want to try dancer or gunbreaker.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Been exclusively a BRD since ARR launch. So what happens if I switch jobs?

All quests are complete on my character so basically run leves and dungeons to level? I've never swapped so just unclear if I want to try dancer or gunbreaker.
Roulettes to 61. If GNB, spam highest level dungeon with all the xp boosts you can cram (Heat of Battle III, food, pre-order earrings). No idea how DPS queues will be, but if that's no good then Heaven-on-High spam probably. It probably wouldn't be too hard to find a GNB to queue with if you're in a decent FC, or hell just try asking in town/PF.

Status
Not open for further replies.