• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of re-rolling!

Is there anyway to trade Untradeable Gear with myself? I spent ages getting the Onion Gear.

Also has anything been done to make levelling easier, and to make grinding the beast tribe quests quicker? As if that's not as slow as it was I won't be too concerned with starting again.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
HyperFerret I'm pretty new to the game, playing a tank also. If you're a Gladiator, you basically have two options: single-target (main attack combo) or multi target (flash) tanking, while watching out for AoE's and adds. (Not sure about Marauders.) It's generally easier if you get the enemy facing away from the party so they can focus on the enemy. That target bar in the bottom left quadrant of the screen generally tells you how many enemies there are. There are some more advanced things later on but those're the fundamentals.

There's a pretty good "role" tutorial available from the Smith in, I think, all of the major city inns, which should be available around the time you start running dungeons. Definitely recommend it to new players. It will explain all the basic concepts of tanking while giving you a cool armour set for your trouble.

For specific dungeons, I'd just recommend letting players know you're new to it, and ask if there's any tricks when fighting bosses. Every group I've run with so far (now in my early 50's as a Paladin) has been accomodating, understanding, and friendly. Just be sure to speak up if you dunno what to do or are confused, 'cause everyone wants to get through it.

Geirskogul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Flash is the worst move in the game. I still find it offensively stupid that they gave PLD a new AOE weaponskill in stormblood instead of doing the common sense thing and just making Flash do damage.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
HyperFerret I'm pretty new to the game, playing a tank also. If you're a Gladiator, you basically have two options: single-target (main attack combo) or multi target (flash) tanking, while watching out for AoE's and adds. (Not sure about Marauders.) It's generally easier if you get the enemy facing away from the party so they can focus on the enemy. That target bar in the bottom left quadrant of the screen generally tells you how many enemies there are. There are some more advanced things later on but those're the fundamentals.

There's a pretty good "role" tutorial available from the Smith in, I think, all of the major city inns, which should be available around the time you start running dungeons. Definitely recommend it to new players. It will explain all the basic concepts of tanking while giving you a cool armour set for your trouble.

For specific dungeons, I'd just recommend letting players know you're new to it, and ask if there's any tricks when fighting bosses. Every group I've run with so far (now in my early 50's as a Paladin) has been accomodating, understanding, and friendly. Just be sure to speak up if you dunno what to do or are confused, 'cause everyone wants to get through it.
I actually did read a few guides/watch a few videos before doing any dungeons and I did the novice quests that taught me the basics. It's just playing with other people that kinda puts me off because I think they're judging me xP

I kinda just wish the MSQ didn't force you to do dungeons but it's whatever. I would rather level up the crafting classes but that doesn't give you MSQ cutscenes.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Most people are only silently judging you or venting if you never show any hopes of improvement or flat out ignore anyone trying to talk to you that might be offering advice. The best piece of advice I can give you is cooldowns aren't emergency, pop them when you're at a steady amount of HP versus say, 25%. If you're at 25% are it probably won't save you.

Geirskogul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ughhhhhhhhhhh we're really gonna have to wait til the liveletter to find anything about sigmascape, aren't we?

NewVegasDog

Oct 25, 2017
ughhhhhhhhhhh we're really gonna have to wait til the liveletter to find anything about sigmascape, aren't we?

That and the job balance changes they've been teasing. Not too surprising considering how much fanservice was in deltascape with FFV references and bosses. They want to keep sigmascape a secret as long as they can.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
How does that new Crystal Tower arena work with what happened in the raid's story? It's supposed to be sealed and stuff.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
"I bet if I run Rabanastre again, it will give me the body piece because I already have the Augmented Lost Allagan body and the game hates me."
[2:09]An Ivalician samurai's dogi has been added to the loot list.

I mean, I may as well just go back to grinding dungeons for Creation. At least then I can't be disappointed.

Oct 26, 2017
So I found out that Blade & Soul added a dual gun using class and it is nothing but awesomeness. Apparently there was a lot of fan demand which is why they added it next.

Considering that I'm going to need all of you to make plans to head over to SE headquarters in Japan soon to demand that they add one to the next xpac. Once they see that enthusiasm they will be sure to add one.

As compensation I'll distribute the junk clogging my inventory to those who participate.

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
So I found out that Blade & Soul added a dual gun using class and it is nothing but awesomeness. Apparently there was a lot of fan demand which is why they added it next.

Considering that I'm going to need all of you to make plans to head over to SE headquarters in Japan soon to demand that they add one to the next xpac. Once they see that enthusiasm they will be sure to add one.
Find the Final Fantasy class that used dual guns and then come back and tell us what it is

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
There have been opinions that the FC tag and name no longer be associated with an online community at all. It's not like it hasn't been considered. Just that no one agrees.

Just make it <ERA>. I mean we use this forum/thread to advertise the FC it seems right that the tag should acknowledge that.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Dual guns would probably have a hard time differentiating itself from machinist.

My money's on hammers and fans next, followed by boomerangs and chakrams.

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
For Ultros FC peoples or people who might be thinking about joining Ultros FC

I've change the FC tag to <<Aera>>, so when you apply or when you're looking for somebody, it's that tag to look out for

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally got my Nexus weapon, now I can relax.

fFFJY6o.png

Last edited:

Minako

Oct 25, 2017

As compensation I'll distribute the junk clogging my inventory to those who participate.
I don't really see why they would want to add a dual gunner job when there's machinists. How would they make the gameplay different in a meaningful enough way to justify making a whole new job for it? It might look cool, but I don't see any real reason to add it. If anything why not just add a secondary weapon for level 70-80 machinists, or a new set of animations that accommodates dual guns only aesthetically?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Is dabbling in crafting/gathering jobs worthwhile, or is it something you really need to dedicate yourself to? I haven't really gotten a grasp on that aspect of FF14 yet.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Is dabbling in crafting/gathering jobs worthwhile, or is it something you really need to dedicate yourself to? I haven't really gotten a grasp on that aspect of FF14 yet.
Well worthwhile will depend on people. The point of gathering and especially crafting is making money. The point of money is kinda limited. Gear is quite often so so and you can acquire better stuff by just playing PvE normally, so it ends up mostly being about buying a house(which on many servers you can't even if you do have the money, although 4.2 should help with that) and buying glamour stuff. But you could make the money via other means too. So it ends up being a matter of taste, some people like gathering, some like crafting, some don't and instead make their money in other ways. Both gathering and to a larger extent crafting also require money to get started decently(although you can start with nothing if you're patient).

As for how long it takes and stuff, not that long, although to have an easy time with it, it's a bit time gated since you want to use leves a lot. Leves are super fast, but obviously are limited(6 a day or whatever it is that you accumulate). So it's nice to just dump your leves in them if you have too many, and then ignore it for a while. Also noteworthy, it's nice to do the ixal/moogle tribe daillies when you can still get xp with your crafters from them, it's good xp and it levels a faction rep for mounts and stuff(also ixal actually makes a fair bit of money from selling old mats to craft furniture/old glamours and what not). Also doesn't cost anything, unlike leves.

You can check it out, but your inventory will probably suffer if you get into it. One of the great QoL feature from having crafting leveled to at least 60 is that you can repair all your gear(provided you have the correct craft for the item type, goldsmithing for jewelry, smithing for plate armor etc) anytime anywhere, including in the middle of a fight when you notice your weapon just broke and you're hitting for 31 instead of 8k.

NewVegasDog

Oct 25, 2017

I'd say if you're interested in getting some more gil and unlocking some extra content, there's content exclusive to crafters like collectables and beast tribe like ixial and moogle tribes. If you want a more casual leveling up for crafters there's leves, grand company turn-ins, ixial dailies (up to 50) and Moogle dailies (up to 60) to do to level your crafters. Leveling a gatherer is pretty easy to do as well if you're just doing leves specific to gatherers.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Doesn't hurt to check it out a little bit at least though, classes are free, you can just try to get a crafting class to 20, doesn't cost much you can buy all the mats from vendors at the guild and you just craft a few items see how the system works. I like crafting personally, the systems are fun to use, but it can be pretty overwhelming at first and then frustrating because you really want some of the cross class skills before you can actually craft even remotely efficiently, and then you have 50sets of gear of different levels and 30 different vegetables in your inventory because CUL is a terrible mess. But it does feel pretty good even at low level to sell stuff like silver ingots or whatever's at good value and makes some good money while gaining xp, and each class has a questline like the combat classes which have a nice variety of storylines(most are kinda so so, but some are surprisingly nice).

Gathering on the other hand I find boring as hell and pretty much hate it, although fishing I'm more neutral about, it's nice and relaxing but also super frustrating with how RNG it is for discovery log/quest stuff. But some people like gathering all the time, hitting the nodes when they refresh and doing their rotations and stuff. I'd rather just pop a 30mins crafting food and sit down to craft a few things and then stock up the AH and forget about it until the next day.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I've been thinking of getting back into this lately, I was a little bit into the Heavensward content, but I'm wondering if the crafting system has been 'fixed' yet. I recall it being incredibly cumbersome and frustrating that it was very difficult to tell which crafting profession needed which materials and it was incredibly frustrating to be going back and forth between trainers and the bank, or even just opening and closing the bank all the time whilst next to it, just to get another material stack. Star Wars The Old Republic had such a much better system where crafting could make use of items in your bank no matter where you were as well as the items in your inventory.
Has anything similar been instituted here yet? Or have they at least marked materials with what profession they're used in? Or anything to make the crafting system less of a pain in the arse?

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
I like the new healer pvp gear, so the rest of it gets a pass lol

But I like gathering Pyros if you do the "gathering marathon" it can be pretty intense

The general satisfaction of gathering all the items of what you want to craft and then shitting out the product is pretty nice.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
TOR's crafting is just sorta... there. It's incredibly straightforward and easy to use, and a matter of time and some credits to max out, but super unrewarding. It's another of TOR's "we have this feature because this is an MMO" moments.

If TOR had broken from the mold a bit it could've been so much better.

And thanks again NewVegasDog and Pyros Eien for the info on crafting. I've changed my mind and think I'll dabble in something, if only to make use of some of the misc. crafting junk I've accumulated while playing.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So instead of replaying ARR, I'm going to watch one of those youtube videos that essentially turns the game into a movie...

It's 20 hours! I didn't remember 2.0->2.65 being that long (considering this doesn't include any gameplay)

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
TOR's crafting is just sorta... there. It's incredibly straightforward and easy to use, and a matter of time and some credits to max out, but super unrewarding. It's another of TOR's "we have this feature because this is an MMO" moments.

If TOR had broken from the mold a bit it could've been so much better.
I don't think the actual crafting system of TOR is necessarily better, but it's system for accessing your materials is most definitely better than in any other MMO I've played. Given the absolutely massive range of crafting materials in FFXIV it's an abomination that you have to be carrying them all in your personal inventory to make use of them, especially when it can be unclear which materials are related to particular professions and at what level they become relevant/irrelevant.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
As a total aside, Dark Knights are really rad. I love everything about the class. It has been the thing driving me forward through all of the grind.

Next up: nabbing a cool sword.
I don't think the actual crafting system of TOR is necessarily better, but it's system for accessing your materials is most definitely better than in any other MMO I've played. Given the absolutely massive range of crafting materials in FFXIV it's an abomination that you have to be carrying them all in your personal inventory to make use of them, especially when it can be unclear which materials are related to particular professions and at what level they become relevant/irrelevant.
It is definitely convenient, yeah.

I wouldn't mind some more convenience in FF14. e.g. I really wish the run ability was a toggle, a la TOR.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a total aside, Dark Knights are really rad. I love everything about the class. It has been the thing driving me forward through all of the grind.

Next up: nabbing a cool sword.

It is definitely convenient, yeah.

I wouldn't mind some more convenience in FF14. e.g. I really wish the run ability was a toggle, a la TOR.
Dark Knight made tanking for me, it's a incredibly fun class and is 100x more fun past level 50.

Geirskogul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DRK was my favorite job in Heavensward but I really hate what they did to it in Stormblood.

If you told me in that in 4.0 that DRK was going to be more boring and braindead than PLD I would have laughed at you.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
DRK was my favorite job in Heavensward but I really hate what they did to it in Stormblood.

If you told me in that in 4.0 that DRK was going to be more boring and braindead than PLD I would have laughed at you.

It's criminal. They turned the ogcd super active tank into a gcd slave meter dump. I was so disheartened this raid cycle. Chasing my fucking MT paladins numbers because any loss of uptime whatsoever is a huge loss. Then they gave warriors an amazing party shield every 2 minutes and just spit in all DRKs faces.

If they could just make deliruim mean something more. Getting to do our basic 1-2-3-Nuke at a faster rate is just a boring burst design and gameplay wise.

I could see where a 10% shield every 15 seconds could be good, but when the other tank is always a PLD because they are too good, it's use dimishes and I cry everytime it doesn't burst.

Last edited:

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they fix Rival Wings it's just so unbalanced and poorly thought out it makes you wonder if they even bothered to play test it.

Oct 26, 2017

Dark Knight was going to be my main in Stormblood and was my first 70. I saw the warning signs even before the expansion released but I convinced myself that I was wrong and Dark Knight would somehow actually be good/better than 3.0. Took me until a week or two after I got to 70 where I stopped lying to myself and admitted that the job got butchered of what made it good before and dropped it entirely.

I've been using RDM for a bit but I'm finishing up WAR just so I can get fast queue times for new patch content.

It's criminal. They turned the ogcd super active tank into a gcd slave meter dump. I was so disheartened this raid cycle. Chasing my fucking MT paladins numbers because any loss of uptime whatsoever is a huge loss. Then they gave warriors an amazing party shield every 2 minutes and just spit in all DRKs faces.

If they could just make deliruim mean something more. Getting to do our basic 1-2-3-Nuke at a faster rate is just a boring burst design and gameplay wise.

I could see where a 10% shield every 15 seconds could be good, but when the other tank is always a PLD because they are too good, it's use dimishes and I cry everytime it doesn't burst.

It's funny that every time a DRK thread pops up on reddit it's usually a bunch of comments on how it's been lobotomized with some comments trying to make it work sprinkled in.

I'm just going to hope that "if" they are planning for a new tank in the next xpac, that it takes the place that old Dark Knight had, as that somewhat complex/ogcd active tank that's really fun to play once you figure out how to manage its resources.

Geirskogul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The job really needs an entire rework which would never happen mid-expansion but some changes I would like to see:

-Remove grit requirement for blood price
-Change Sole Survivor's PvE effect to the PvP effect (but keep the 120s cd)
-Buff dark passenger potency or nerf mp cost so that its actually useful
-Lower shadow wall cd to 120s
-Bring back Scourge as a blood gauge ability

Status
Not open for further replies.