• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, not coming back to do the Yokai Watch event and get the Whisper mount might be my biggest regret in life.

I would legitimately pay like £20 for that thing.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Finally Level 70 NIN. What materia melds do I want to do and what stats do I want to prioritize when it comes to gear?

Oct 25, 2017
Finally Level 70 NIN. What materia melds do I want to do and what stats do I want to prioritize when it comes to gear?

It's generally Dhit > Crit > Det; if you're running in a group that doesn't have a SCH or a BRD or a DRG the current stat budget flips Det into second place, but it might lose that spot in 4.2.

Here's a really long ninja guide, complete with links to a couple of options for BiS. What specifically you meld will in part depend on the gear you have access to and your near-term plans for it (since it's all going to be 100% obsolete by the end of the month), but it's probably not worth breaking the bank this late in the tier since getting the VIs back is only a 40% chance when unmelding.

Xaltheron

Nov 14, 2017
Hey, started back when Stormblood launched, figured now would be a good time to jump back in with the patch hitting fairly soon.
Been levelling a White Mage as an alt, never played a healer in any mmo before, so was nerve wracking as hell at first, but it makes dungeons interesting again after I'd gotten used to running everything on autopilot (though some runs are a little too interesting, I've already found myself yelling at the screen, I now understand why healers become such cynical bitches :P)
Actually, the ffxiv trope is that only girls play catboys.
I'm a guy and play a catboy... then again I'm also gay af and dress in the most ridiculous slut glamours I can find, so maybe they have a point >.>

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I really need inventory space badly. I think I'm going to sell or discard every gray icon and Aetherial piece of gear I have.

Geirskogul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unique/Untradeable gear can typically be turned in for GC seals (Garo gear is about the only exception off the top of my head), its generally better to do that than sell it to an NPC vendor.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
I'm a guy and play a catboy... then again I'm also gay af and dress in the most ridiculous slut glamours I can find, so maybe they have a point >.>

To be fair, a significant portion of the dedicated player base is female. You're likely to bump into a lot of women playing as male Miqo'tes based on that fact alone. There are also a lot of LGBT people playing this and I'm sure you're not alone in finding the male Miqo'tes attractive. I mean, they clearly are. Most of them, anyway. As far as male characters go, I feel like the character creation tools are more favourable towards the Miqo'te in that regard, whereas the Roegadyn clearly get the short end of the stick.

But there are of course straight guys playing as male Miqo'tes too. Like Larryzaur.

NewVegasDog

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I only play as male miqo'te because it was the only race that interested me, though I'm not gay. Plus I didn't find playing as a female avatar just felt generic and what 95% of male demographic does in any MMO. So that's just me.

Dec 25, 2017
Any suggestions on what do with GC seals? I've just bought the attention and at ease emotes and I believe I bought most of the furniture ages ago. I know I need it for my squadron missions but it doesn't seem like you need a ton for those. I suppose I could down the craftables list and see if any of it sells for something semi worthwhile still.

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions on what do with GC seals? I've just bought the attention and at ease emotes and I believe I bought most of the furniture ages ago. I know I need it for my squadron missions but it doesn't seem like you need a ton for those. I suppose I could down the craftables list and see if any of it sells for something semi worthwhile still.
There is a possibility that with the upcoming patch, the price of GC mats will go up. If you have excess and would like to make some gil, you can start stocking on some of the GC mats.

GC seals can also be used to purchase ventures (tokens for your retainers to go out and steal stuff), or some minor replenishing potions like Cordials, which can also be sold on the market.

NewVegasDog

Oct 25, 2017
You know what they say.

Manly Men Online Role Playing as Girls.

777ed05399

Makes you think.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There are some things that can sell decently well on the marketboard. Check your server's board.
You might also want to use seals on Moonstones to trade for Crystal Sand if you're doing Anima weapons.

Dec 25, 2017
There is a possibility that with the upcoming patch, the price of GC mats will go up. If you have excess and would like to make some gil, you can start stocking on some of the GC mats.

GC seals can also be used to purchase ventures (tokens for your retainers to go out and steal stuff), or some minor replenishing potions like Cordials, which can also be sold on the market.

There are some things that can sell decently well on the marketboard. Check your server's board.
You might also want to use seals on Moonstones to trade for Crystal Sand if you're doing Anima weapons.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I think I may actually go with the moonstones since I'm still working on getting crystal sands for an old relic. Didn't even think of that!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I've got a tank at 70 and now a DPS at 70. What's the easiest healer to play with a controller? I might try to level a healer to 70 and have one of each role usable.

Jan 11, 2018
White Mage is the easiest healer job to learn, isn't it? I'd rather have a good White Mage in my team than someone who is biting off more than s/he can chew with any of the other two.

OP
OP
Red XIII

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
I thought everyone hated WHM now?
before SB was coming a lot of players on reddit were freaking out about whm i don't even remember why lol.

not sure where they stand for raiding this patch.
White Mage is the easiest healer job to learn, isn't it? I'd rather have a good White Mage in my team than someone who is biting off more than s/he can chew with any of the other two.
yep whm is the easiest to learn out of the 3.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
If submarines are anything like airships, prices of GC mats (coke, potash, etc) are about to be very in demand and a huge moneymaker if you have GC seals.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Easy is good. I'm not a smart person. I need classes that are simple to learn. My biggest problem is that I start fumbling around with skills and hit the wrong thing. I don't know how many times things start getting hairy in a fight and I start panicking and hit the wrong button. I would rather learn something that doesn't have 100 abilities and buffs/debuffs to juggle around. There's also the fact that targeting on controllers is awful.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want to learn the role, WHM is the best start because it's straightforward and easily mapped to controller.
What I do is split the controller between heals and DPS like so:

SP9h7Sv.png

bread button is danger bongos

Oct 25, 2017
WHM remains good at what it's always been good at (raw healing throughput, which is overkill in basically everything in the game barring Ultimate), and lacking in what it's always been lacking in (no meaningful raid buffs, no meaningful mitigation options, not a lot of nuance to it.) SB didn't grow the class in any meaningful way, but the massive nerf to Balance + AST's pathetic personal DPS + WHM's raw DPS potency has floated them ok so far for prog. The raid meta will probably swerve against them again by the end of the expac, but we'll see. SB's relaunch of WHM was and remains a trash fire, but it didn't make them incapable of healing, it just didn't grow the job and was disappointing for anyone who wanted them to make SB WHM not just HW WHM with a couple extra buttons. The upside is getting level synced to 60 on WHM is considerably less annoying than the other two healers, since all the good buttons still work.

They're far more streamlined than the other healers, which means both that there's less to worry about and that there's more time where you're left throwing rocks because there's nothing more interesting you can do. EXDR is WHM territory by far, because Holy is the best dungeon mitigation in the game. Paired with a good tank you can basically wreck dungeons and get through super fast because you can destroy packs during the Holy stuns and have to do minimal actual healing. In 8 mans it's probably the job most prone to feeling boring, but whatever.

WHM's a solid starter healer, and if you do that and then want a few more extra buttons a lot of it maps pretty nicely to the Diurnal AST toolkit. SCH remains grossly overpowered, but accessing its ridiculous OPness requires a lot more situational button pressing than the others.

And targeting on controller for healer is pretty easy--up/down to scroll the party list. In raid environments I usually hard target the boss and then scroll up/down to soft-target party members to spot heal. Dungeons I'll usually go WHM, hard target the tank, and then just spam Holy forever. The only time controller healing is annoying is cross-group raising in 24 mans or PVP since it's using button combinations to target I usually don't have to deal with.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also keep in mind that you can hold L1 (or equivalent) and the D-Pad to scroll through the enemy list.

You honestly get used to controller targeting after a while.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
AST is unplayable for me after I got my SCH to 70.

I live for indom and having things to do aside from playing solitaire.

Oct 26, 2017

Interesting video. Haven't watched all of it yet but it might be worth showing to people who haven't played the game or are interested in learning more.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spent about 3 hours remembering my SAM rotation and fiddling with UI and keybindings. Think I'm finally sorted.

Looking forward to doing the 4.1 content tomorrow.

OP
OP
Red XIII

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
All that time leveling SCH red and now you won't even get a grimoire weiss glamour.
rip me
the last thing this game needs is more 2B cosplay glamours
i wanted some music scrolls and a side quest by yoko taro.

Interesting video. Haven't watched all of it yet but it might be worth showing to people who haven't played the game or are interested in learning more.

really good video going add it to the OP

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Small update to Patch 4.2 special site ahead of the Live Letter:
  • "Fashion Report" - some sort of fashion-based Gold Saucer game
  • Piano, Lute, and Fiddle confirmed for Bard's Performance action (pulling out a lute or fiddle i could understand, but who'd lug around a piano)
  • More mounts in the forms of: Magitek Claw, Auspicious Kamuy (from the new trial?), and True Griffin (the all-white ones from The Peaks)

Orio

Oct 27, 2017
Small update to Patch 4.2 special site ahead of the Live Letter:
  • "Fashion Report" - some sort of fashion-based Gold Saucer game
  • Piano, Lute, and Fiddle confirmed for Bard's Performance action (pulling out a lute or fiddle i could understand, but who'd lug around a piano)
  • More mounts in the forms of: Magitek Claw, Auspicious Kamuy (from the new trial?), and True Griffin (the all-white ones from The Peaks)

Need pictures of a roe boy dangling from a magitek claw like yesterday.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is there new Relic armour coming or something?

The relic weapons were obsolete by the time I got around to starting FF14 unless I wanted to do them for glamour.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That updated performance mode seems pretty nice. I just need to finish leveling an archer up to 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.