• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah man, Samurai got hosed. They needed a damage buff along with Black Mage if they wanted to keep them as pure selfish DPS because right now I can't see anyone outside of groups who don't really care what you are taking one.
What does SAM need buffed? Like I said, I rejoined last week. Hadn't touched the game since 4.0 when it launched SAM seemed in a fine place. No real utility but lots of the single target deeps.
Have things been adjusted that put it in a worse place? Going to continue playing it anyway, it's a fun class.

In reality as well, isn't everything viable for pretty much all content outside of that top 0.1% world first ultimate coil raid shit? Feel like you could pass most content in that game with any configuration of the classes tbh.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
In what world did WAR need any kind of buff though I don't mind my slight bump down, it was basically swipe procs, but WAR getting a boost? Who asked for that.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any info about when the new POTD-type dungeon is coming? It's supposed to be that big jenga tower out in that watery zone, right?

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ps has anybody got any suggestions for badass crafted SAM swords before I drop 1.5mil on the Katana of the round?

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
What does SAM need buffed? Like I said, I rejoined last week. Hadn't touched the game since 4.0 when it launched SAM seemed in a fine place. No real utility but lots of the single target deeps.
Have things been adjusted that put it in a worse place? Going to continue playing it anyway, it's a fun class.

In reality as well, isn't everything viable for pretty much all content outside of that top 0.1% world first ultimate coil raid shit? Feel like you could pass most content in that game with any configuration of the classes tbh.

SAM and BLM didn't bring enough single-target damage to make up for their lack of utility, while the "meta" jobs synergize so well that the raid DPS gained far exceeds selfish DPS damage.

Then they buffed SMN, who does have some utility and can actually outdamage SAM in some fights (and BLM in a lot of fights due to movement). And now they're about to buff their single-target output again (even though they are getting nerfed on AoE).

While it remains to be seen how much the buffs BLM got will help them, they at least got some (and they needed it). MNK finally got some help too even though they did have a bit of utility.

So SAM is a purely selfish DPS that doesn't even necessarily bring the most single-target damage. That's why they needed to do something, IMO. This doesn't really affect my spot in a raid group as I play with friends who don't care what I am but it might suck for randoms trying to get a group.

Oct 25, 2017

You can, and even Ultimate didn't go super-hard on DPS checks so much as mechanics checks (it's more a Midas than a Gordias, basically.)

The problem 'selfish' DPS jobs in this game face is that essentially giving a slot to one means the other seven people giving up something that would have been helpful to them. Of the melee options, only SAM really brings nothing for the rest of the party--Monk's Brotherhood isn't exactly amazing, but it still exists, and mantra is nice. Disembowel from DRG is amazing for ranged and Litany is strong raid-wide. Trick Attack remains crazy and Ninja's contributions to tank aggro are incredibly solid. It's not that SAM can't do everything, it's that when you're building a group every other melee brings more to the table.

SAM is melee BLM, or occupying the Monk slot from Creator--there's nothing prohibitive about bringing one, but any other job in the same role has more selling points to the group. So you end up only seeing them in groups that don't care about comp, or groups that are people who want to raid with each other primarily with the jobs as secondary. There's nothing wrong with either situation, and I'd argue it's sort of the inevitable end point for selfish DPS, but it does make it easier to find a group on basically anything else.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dead Hive Katana (the glow+butteflies makes it the best imo)
OOOFT. Yes, that will do. Will check the MB when I get home.

SAM and BLM didn't bring enough single-target damage to make up for their lack of utility, while the "meta" jobs synergize so well that the raid DPS gained far exceeds selfish DPS damage.

Then they buffed SMN, who does have some utility and can actually outdamage SAM in some fights (and BLM in a lot of fights due to movement). And now they're about to buff their single-target output again (even though they are getting nerfed on AoE).

While it remains to be seen how much the buffs BLM got will help them, they at least got some (and they needed it). MNK finally got some help too even though they did have a bit of utility.

So SAM is a purely selfish DPS that doesn't even necessarily bring the most single-target damage. That's why they needed to do something, IMO. This doesn't really affect my spot in a raid group as I play with friends who don't care what I am but it might suck for randoms trying to get a group.

You can, and even Ultimate didn't go super-hard on DPS checks so much as mechanics checks (it's more a Midas than a Gordias, basically.)

The problem 'selfish' DPS jobs in this game face is that essentially giving a slot to one means the other seven people giving up something that would have been helpful to them. Of the melee options, only SAM really brings nothing for the rest of the party--Monk's Brotherhood isn't exactly amazing, but it still exists, and mantra is nice. Disembowel from DRG is amazing for ranged and Litany is strong raid-wide. Trick Attack remains crazy and Ninja's contributions to tank aggro are incredibly solid. It's not that SAM can't do everything, it's that when you're building a group every other melee brings more to the table.

SAM is melee BLM, or occupying the Monk slot from Creator--there's nothing prohibitive about bringing one, but any other job in the same role has more selling points to the group. So you end up only seeing them in groups that don't care about comp, or groups that are people who want to raid with each other primarily with the jobs as secondary. There's nothing wrong with either situation, and I'd argue it's sort of the inevitable end point for selfish DPS, but it does make it easier to find a group on basically anything else.

Thanks for the detailed responses. That's along the lines of what I thought. Being a selfish type DPS you would think it would be the clear highest DPS for single targets, but when it's not you're like...well what do you do. Is my impression. But they're obviously no slouch. But same as you, I play with friends and I'm not doing any super hardcore stuff so whilst a buff would be nice, I'm not crying out for it. I pay so little attention to the meta anyway because I come and go with FF14.

But BLM, yeah, a friend mains it and I can't say I'm jealous of the whole being rooted to the spot for nearly everything part.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah man, Samurai got hosed. They needed a damage buff along with Black Mage if they wanted to keep them as pure selfish DPS because right now I can't see anyone outside of groups who don't really care what you are taking one.

I see people completely overestimate this way too often. Meta doesn't matter unless your playing a class at a top level. And even then, speed clearing is for the 10% of the 2%. Recruiting a mediocre dragoon so the party can have a litany and the bard their debuff means nothing if that player is only capable of 75% of what a skilled samurai can do.

Last edited:

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
booo PLD nerfs.
Our DRK already has parity with us, why are we getting the hose, just buff DRK and lmaobuffingWAR

In no universe does DARK have parity with PLD. Any loss of uptime is insanely detrimental to DRKs, same with a bubble not bursting because the sch/AST shielded a tank before a hit, etc. PLD and WARs have defined bursts that they can focus on. DRKs just get to do their basic rotation and better dump faster every 2 minutes. It sucks. Even as a WAR I found it hard to sometimes pass a PLD if I fucked up a beserk timing due to mechanics. It's crazy plds have been left alone this long honestly.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
All I get out of DRKs is their kit holds them back more than the DPS.
I can't imagine the slight bump causing some mass exodus of PLD.

As far as PLDs being left alone, we've been hit with nerfs every subsequent patch my dude.
We started out at the high pot Spirits, it got corrected (twice if I recall now) and now a swipe adjustment. Swipes being the only thing that made active PLDs even shine compared to those who didn't keep up with the swipe timers. Makes it even more dull now.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I see people completely overestimate this way too often. Meta doesn't matter unless your playing a class at a top level. And even then, speed clearing is for the 10% of the 2%. Recruiting a mediocre dragoon so the party can have a litany and the bard their debuff means nothing if that player is only capable of 75% of what a skilled samurai can do.

What you say is true. Unfortunately, the general public tends to cling to the meta even if they aren't actually good enough to warrant the difference the meta brings. So you still tend to see certain jobs get boxed out unless again, the person making the group happens to not care.

Oct 25, 2017
What you say is true. Unfortunately, the general public tends to cling to the meta even if they aren't actually good enough to warrant the difference the meta brings. So you still tend to see certain jobs get boxed out unless again, the person making the group happens to not care.

It's not always about sustained rDPS, though, especially given how deemphasized rDPS has been in Creator and Deltascape. The real issue facing 'selfish' DPS classes is that they require the rest of the group be self-sacrificing to justify their presence. Blindly heading into a tier, people tend to follow the 2 melee, 1 caster, 1 ranged starter comp to cover their bases. If you've only got two melee, bringing a SAM or a Monk is going to decrease the performance of somebody else in the group (SAM instead of DRG? Your ranged now gets to enjoy a tier of constantly trying to math out how much no disembowel cost them to figure out what their practical performance actually is. SAM instead of NIN? Everyone's numbers take a small hit from TA, and aggro management becomes a much larger thing.) Monk occupies a weird middle space and faces similar problems, but they at least have Mantra and Brotherhood and are slightly less of an aggro sponge than SAM. With the casters it's even worse--you have two that can pitch in rezzes to keep things rolling during prog, and one that can't.

It's what I feel gets missed the most about the selfish jobs--they're totally viable, but they're not going to help anyone else perform at their best and that will always make them less desired in an overall sense. The only way to 'fix' that is to essentially make them not selfish anymore.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
PVP gear always circling around GODS OF WAR type armor makes it feel really samey.
I just haven't liked any since their off the wall animal based stuff.

UoiK5VY.jpg

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized I missed the Christmas bear mount :( We've had limited time events over and over this year with crap rewards so I stopped paying attention ugh.

Im sure it'll be on the shop next year for $20...

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Really psyched by the 4.2 dungeon/trial/raid. Everything looks really appealing to participate in.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Guess there was no Stormblood OST announcment.

Oh well, will have to wait for next live letter.

4.2 for me will be all about
Doma

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
It's what I feel gets missed the most about the selfish jobs--they're totally viable, but they're not going to help anyone else perform at their best and that will always make them less desired in an overall sense. The only way to 'fix' that is to essentially make them not selfish anymore.

This is pretty true. The best you can hope for as a selfish DPS is that you'll never fully provide what the synergizing jobs can but you'll be decent enough to where it won't matter all that much.

I still really like Samurai and plan to play it regardless.

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty true. The best you can hope for as a selfish DPS is that you'll never fully provide what the synergizing jobs can but you'll be decent enough to where it won't matter all that much.

I still really like Samurai and plan to play it regardless.

Yeah, I'm not aiming to talk anybody out of playing what they want, and I've definitely spent more time raiding in groups with non-meta comps than meta, it's more that this stuff matters in different ways to different people at any level of play. Take the player over the job, and all, just when casting a wide net to fill a slot with a stranger meta jobs are always going to get preference regardless of group skill level for reasons that aren't restricted to the top 1% or whatever.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Trailer for 4.2 spoilers

Yotsuyu is found and now Gosetsu has betrayed Hien it would seem because he wants to keep Yotsuyu alive? I knew it. I can see either one of them dying tbh but it would seem weird to have Gosetsu as a villain... because Alphinaud called him a major threat. I'm not sure I like where this is heading.

Sigmascape:
First boss seems to be doomtrain/phantomtrain and 2nd Chadarnook (the painting in FF VI that is haunted with a spirit which was also referenced in XV. For the 3rd boss it looked very interesting and 4th will obviously be Kefka. The savage version will have his angel form... calling it now with dancing mad playing in full.

Geirskogul

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should have left
Gosetsu dead. Bringing him back is even worse than what they did with the Nanamo storyline.

NewVegasDog

Oct 25, 2017
Sigmascape:
First boss seems to be doomtrain/phantomtrain and 2nd Chadarnook (the painting in FF VI that is haunted with a spirit which was also referenced in XV. For the 3rd boss it looked very interesting and 4th will obviously be Kefka. The savage version will have his angel form... calling it now with dancing mad playing in full.

It seems people are speculating that the third boss is this:

And seems to copy abilities from other bosses judging by the random FFVI sprites on the screen.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Who really dies after getting shot some 4 times and having a building fall on them though, I mean come on amirite?

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
They better include that rocking 4 minute pipe organ solo that's in the middle of Dancing Mad.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'm bummed that the last tier might be FF7 and Sephiroth, that's such an anti-hype.

What would even be each stage ? Jenova, diamond weapon, emerald weapon (weapons doesn't make sense but why not), Sephiroth ? This game barely has any iconic enemy and Jenova is just a giant blob everytime you fight her.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I'm bummed that the last tier might be FF7 and Sephiroth, that's such an anti-hype.

What would even be each stage ? Jenova, diamond weapon, emerald weapon (weapons doesn't make sense but why not), Sephiroth ? This game barely has any iconic enemy and Jenova is just a giant blob everytime you fight her.

Well, more than likely it will be some form of omega himself.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
ATE suplex the phantom train. Make it happen, yoship.

That new MSQ NPC is
Yotsuyu's cousin
btw.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sephiroth is one of the most iconic villains in all of gaming?

But, Omega weapon as the final boss anyway, surely?

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking of making the jump to a different server w/ a friend, and trying to find a community to play within, since we've been playing since Heavensward and never really found a home. How is ERA/Ultros? I know you guys are biased, but sometimes bias is good. :P

Omnicent

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Man I am glade I have a static for 4.2 on my SAM
Pugging shit in 4.2 on SAM will be terrible.
The memes have already started (Balance shows no mercy). I dealt with on MNK in 3.0 and I guess I'll just have to deal with it again in 4.0 on SAM.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
Well looks like I'm starting over, hopping over to PC. Really sad that I can't bring any progress from PS4 over :\

Status
Not open for further replies.