• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else noticed weird inflation on their server? I was checking the mb today and saw that glamour prisms had gone up nearly ten times since blu was announced. It went from 500gil to 4.9k gil im not mad because im gonna be rich since i keep 500 of them on me at all times but it is weird.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Are there better ways to get this damn book without paying double? I got the first one by chance when I was on a business trip to Japan and saw they were selling the English version at the SquareEnix Cafe. Was really looking forward to getting the second volume ;-(

Japan still offers international media mail to private individuals, so if you want the Japanese version, let me know and I can hook you up. A book this heavy might be $20-25 by surface airlift (10-14 business days or so) at most. If you just want the minion, things would be even easier.

By "Square Enix Cafe" do you mean the one in Akihabara? I actually live less than 20 minutes from there by bicycle and would go buy the English version there if they had it.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Go to the dungeon "the burn".

Died probably 6 times. First 2 were because of the aoe at the transition the rest were because the healer died or something just went wrong.

Advice? Minimum ilvl is 340, I'm at 350. I just fully melded, mostly Vs because I can't do all VI yet.

Also, how close am I to the end of the story?

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go to the dungeon "the burn".

Died probably 6 times. First 2 were because of the aoe at the transition the rest were because the healer died or something just went wrong.

Advice? Minimum ilvl is 340, I'm at 350. I just fully melded, mostly Vs because I can't do all VI yet.

Also, how close am I to the end of the story?

There's really nothing for it. The dragon punishes mistakes (and low DPS) hard. If people keep dying, you're just going to keep wiping.
Make sure everyone understands the mechanics, and hope for the best.

You're at the very start of the most recent story patch, by the way. Probably an hour or two left to get caught up there.

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
Japan still offers international media mail to private individuals, so if you want the Japanese version, let me know and I can hook you up. A book this heavy might be $20-25 by surface airlift (10-14 business days or so) at most. If you just want the minion, things would be even easier.

By "Square Enix Cafe" do you mean the one in Akihabara? I actually live less than 20 minutes from there by bicycle and would go buy the English version there if they had it.

Oh wow that's very nice of you thank you but I prefer to get the English version it's an interesting read.

Yes it's the one at Akihabara! Interestingly I found that they have it on sale months after the release where the English version was sold out everywhere online and there were three copies lying right there. Quickest grab and purchase I've ever made lol.

I used to work for a Japanese company HQ in Tokyo so had a lot of chances to go. I really miss it there :(

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished the rest of Alphascape and had a ton of fun with it, v3 and v4 especially. I could listen to the music in v3 on repeat for hours. I even got really lucky with the minion roll! With that I think I'm done with all the current content with the exception of Eureka, which I have no interest in, and savage/extreme content, which I'm not sure if I want to do in PUGs. I still have some old content to get through and other jobs to level, but I think I might take a break until 4.5 even if I'm still enjoying myself. I don't want to feel burnt out once Blue Mages come around.

Is Scaeven gear likely to be the last tome gear set and should I expect the cap on genesis to be removed in 4.5?

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
I've subbed again after a long time away from the game.

I can't believe how smooth this game runs on PS4 Pro.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Finally finished the rest of Alphascape and had a ton of fun with it, v3 and v4 especially. I could listen to the music in v3 on repeat for hours. I even got really lucky with the minion roll! With that I think I'm done with all the current content with the exception of Eureka, which I have no interest in, and savage/extreme content, which I'm not sure if I want to do in PUGs. I still have some old content to get through and other jobs to level, but I think I might take a break until 4.5 even if I'm still enjoying myself. I don't want to feel burnt out once Blue Mages come around.

Is Scaeven gear likely to be the last tome gear set and should I expect the cap on genesis to be removed in 4.5?
Yep, Scaeven will likely be the last tome gear and the genesis cap will be removed in some portion of 4.5. Unsure if it'll be the Jan or March patch.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Scaeven will likely be the last tome gear and the genesis cap will be removed in some portion of 4.5. Unsure if it'll be the Jan or March patch.
Thanks! That's what I figured for the first part of the final patch. I'm not sure how to feel about how Scaeven gear looks. It's definitely no Shire, but I think I like it more than Ironworks. I'm also hoping to eventually get the Alphascape gear just for the glam. I think it looks gorgeous.

Oct 26, 2017
Just learned about the logos actions in Pyros from Mr. Happy's video on it.

The concept of letting you break jobs by taking actions that let you tank as a DPS, DPS as a healer and heal as a tank sounds pretty neat.

That reminds me I don't think they announced anything as a new type of content they are introducing with Shadowbringers. Not counting Blue Mage since that's getting introduced in 4.5 and also it doesn't seem to be equivalent to something like Eureka.

Maybe they will reveal it at future fanfests? I kind of doubt that they would just go with more dungeon/trials/raids so my assumption for now is that whatever new type of content for Shadowbringers they have cooking is something they're saving till later to show.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

The concept of letting you break jobs by taking actions that let you tank as a DPS, DPS as a healer and heal as a tank sounds pretty neat.

That reminds me I don't think they announced anything as a new type of content they are introducing with Shadowbringers. Not counting Blue Mage since that's getting introduced in 4.5 and also it doesn't seem to be equivalent to something like Eureka.

Maybe they will reveal it at future fanfests? I kind of doubt that they would just go with more dungeon/trials/raids so my assumption for now is that whatever new type of content for Shadowbringers they have cooking is something they're saving till later to show.
They usually announce the different stuff at the EU and JP fanfests. The NA one gives us the teaser trailer, name, and vague details. As for Logos actions... Those combined with BLU make me really curious about what's coming down the pipeline. BLU is practically renowned for bucking the Healer/Tank/DPS trifecta by having a bit of everything in it's kit. Combine that with Logos actions and you have the beginning of something very interesting.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Has anyone else noticed weird inflation on their server? I was checking the mb today and saw that glamour prisms had gone up nearly ten times since blu was announced. It went from 500gil to 4.9k gil im not mad because im gonna be rich since i keep 500 of them on me at all times but it is weird.
It'd just be people price gouging newbs and stuff. That or no one who sold at 500 before can be bothered crafting more, happens often for low tier items, maybe someone who was leveling crafting made a bunch for skill ups and was selling at price. 5k seems not that expensive for glamour prisms, as far as I remember. Can make them yourself if you prefer for less but the profits are not worth my time for example so I'd probably just buy them at 5k rather than go to a beastman vendor, buy the items, then craft for 10mins to make a bunch and save like 3k per or whatever. Could be doing a single dungeon run in the meantime and make more money than what was saved, and get some desynth skillups too.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
How is this game these days? I don't keep up to date with it, and I haven't played since it first released on PS4 years ago. Wort trying to jump back into it while the complete edition is $30?

Jayhawk

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the V9S carry. I didn't think I would be able to do it.

tenor.gif

BELIEVE IT

Oct 26, 2017
They usually announce the different stuff at the EU and JP fanfests. The NA one gives us the teaser trailer, name, and vague details. As for Logos actions... Those combined with BLU make me really curious about what's coming down the pipeline. BLU is practically renowned for bucking the Healer/Tank/DPS trifecta by having a bit of everything in it's kit. Combine that with Logos actions and you have the beginning of something very interesting.

Kind of makes me wish I played through Eureka to get to Pyros since that concept really intrigues me. Blue Mage seems to be giving me that coliseum thing I was always harping on about (hopefully with eventual team challenges later on).

So I really have no idea what I'd like to see next.

How is this game these days? I don't keep up to date with it, and I haven't played since it first released on PS4 years ago. Wort trying to jump back into it while the complete edition is $30?

If you last played it when it released then you have the entire base game to play through and it's 5 major content patches all with new dungeons/trials/raids and continuation of the story among other things.

Then factor in that you have the entire base game of Heavensward expansion plus its 5 major content patches.

Then factor in that you Stormblood and 4 of its major content patches (its last major patch is coming in January split into two, second part coming in March).

In other words, if you get into it now you have a metric shit ton of game to play.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Gah my bad luck with RNG continues. Leveled to 50 in Pyros the last few days doing NM fates and opening a bunch of bunny treasure chests, but have yet to get a gold chest or the hairstyle to drop. At this point think I'll just buy the hairstyle off the MB since the price is dropping, because who knows how long it'll take me to actually get it to drop.

On the plus side at least Pyros is a lot easier in terms of leveling compared to the last 2 Eurekas. Fates pop up fairly frequently and getting XP from bunny fates means you don't have to idle between NM's popping. Logogram system seems interesting, though admittedly don't use them as much as I should since I get scared of wasting good ones, but maybe I'll use them more now that I'm at 50 and just trying to finish out the last weapon step. Not sure whether to bother with getting the Pyros armor when I can get i380 stuff from Alpha normal and Genesis tomestones.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

I've cleared it before. Clearing isn't the issue. I'm still getting over carpal tunnel surgery and I use a controller. Last night, I could barely move my thumb enogh to move the analog stick and barly press the L2 button. I'm surprised I could clear it and do as much dps as I did.

Jayhawk

Oct 25, 2017
I've cleared it before. Clearing isn't the issue. I'm still getting over carpal tunnel surgery and I use a controller. Last night, I could barely move my thumb enogh to move the analog stick and barly press the L2 button. I'm surprised I could clear it and do as much dps as I did.

Naruto GIF still applies!

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I might be interested in playing this for the first time in the near future. Mostly have played WoW (10 years) and some EVE Online as other MMOs, but one of my WoW acquaintances and some of her friends have also played FFXIV previously. Looks like there's a fairly substantial trial, so I might try that first before committing, but the current full game is also $30 right now (Black Friday sale?) on the SE website. Probably be on sale closer to Christmas as well I would assume? Because I'm low on spare cash now, and no pressing need to rush into the game.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I might be interested in playing this for the first time in the near future. Mostly have played WoW (10 years) and some EVE Online as other MMOs, but one of my WoW acquaintances and some of her friends have also played FFXIV previously. Looks like there's a fairly substantial trial, so I might try that first before committing, but the current full game is also $30 right now (Black Friday sale?) on the SE website. Probably be on sale closer to Christmas as well I would assume? Because I'm low on spare cash now, and no pressing need to rush into the game.
It's been on sale multiple times throughout the year, so it's best to give the free trail a go, and then decide later on if you'd want to subscribe or not.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
3rd party websites also have sales for it like Humble Bundle, GMG, Voidu and so on, so it's on sale very often. Humble Bundle has it on sale right now too for example and I'd assume during winter sales something will have it on sale too, but it sometimes isn't on sale for like over a month so it can be annoying if you're on trial just looking to buy the game.

Also, if you start a Steam trial, you have to buy the game on Steam. There's basically 2 different windows version, the Steam and the other stores(including SE) version and they're incompatible and exclusive. Whichever you start, you have to buy the game and all expansions on that version.

Steam has ironically less sales on FFXIV than the other version, they're not as good and they don't have deals for new expansions like you can find on websites like GMG(15-20% off the price for the new expansion preorder and stuff like that, which if you're into the game saves you a good bit of money).

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
3rd party websites also have sales for it like Humble Bundle, GMG, Voidu and so on, so it's on sale very often. Humble Bundle has it on sale right now too for example and I'd assume during winter sales something will have it on sale too, but it sometimes isn't on sale for like over a month so it can be annoying if you're on trial just looking to buy the game.

Also, if you start a Steam trial, you have to buy the game on Steam. There's basically 2 different windows version, the Steam and the other stores(including SE) version and they're incompatible and exclusive. Whichever you start, you have to buy the game and all expansions on that version.

Steam has ironically less sales on FFXIV than the other version, they're not as good and they don't have deals for new expansions like you can find on websites like GMG(15-20% off the price for the new expansion preorder and stuff like that, which if you're into the game saves you a good bit of money).

Yeah I'd probably just get it off Humble if/when I do buy it because I buy a fair amount of things there and usually have the monthly discount on top of whatever other sales they have going on. I don't really mind the game being in a separate launcher from Steam, for MMOs it's not as big a deal to me since I'm used to that. I try to keep most everything that isn't an MMO or a Blizzard game (which are all on their launcher anyway) on Steam if I can help it though.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I'd probably just get it off Humble if/when I do buy it because I buy a fair amount of things there and usually have the monthly discount on top of whatever other sales they have going on. I don't really mind the game being in a separate launcher from Steam, for MMOs it's not as big a deal to me since I'm used to that. I try to keep most everything that isn't an MMO or a Blizzard game (which are all on their launcher anyway) on Steam if I can help it though.
I mean even if you use the Steam version, you have a launcher after that anyway. The main advantages of the Steam version are that you can pay with steam wallet, which is useful if you either sell other game stuff on there(CSGO/Dota2/TF2 items for example) so you can use that money or if you have trouble with payment solutions offered usually so you can go through Steam's generally better supported payment systems.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally caught up w/ story. Interested to see what happens next.

Guess I can finally get around to do all the quest lines for crafting that I've skipped out on while leveling.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Pretty sure game was on sale last year in December for the holidays though don't remember if that was PSN only or also on PC. At this point, I'd probably stick to the free trial for now and see if you enjoy it, and then maybe buy the game next month on sale if you like it. Admittedly the story bits in the free trial aren't the best in terms of the game's story (gets a lot better once you get close to the first expansion Heavensward), but you get a decent taste of what the gameplay is like, and you can try out a bunch of classes up to level 35 for free.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure game was on sale last year in December for the holidays though don't remember if that was PSN only or also on PC. At this point, I'd probably stick to the free trial for now and see if you enjoy it, and then maybe buy the game next month on sale if you like it. Admittedly the story bits in the free trial aren't the best in terms of the game's story (gets a lot better once you get close to the first expansion Heavensward), but you get a decent taste of what the gameplay is like, and you can try out a bunch of classes up to level 35 for free.

Yeah I probably wouldn't be too fussy about the story, it'd more be to see how the gameplay feels - combat, crafting, etc. With WoW there's a pretty large gap between how well story is presented in older content and newer content as well on average.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I probably wouldn't be too fussy about the story, it'd more be to see how the gameplay feels - combat, crafting, etc. With WoW there's a pretty large gap between how well story is presented in older content and newer content as well on average.
Considering that the free trial caps at level 35 and classes play completely differently at max level, to the point that the gameplay is much, much faster; the trial is not a good indicator on how good the gameplay can get. For instance, my summoner uses almost 40 buttons, depending. Maybe not all in the same fight, but pretty close to that. The GCD is pretty slow, but at level 70 you'll have access to tons of oGCD abilities that you are always pressing buttons anyway. A level 30 character will just... attack every GCD. For the most part.

The crafting on the other hand, is miles above WoW, even at the lower levels. It absolutely requires a rotation and gear progression, especially as you level up. Basically what you start to see around level 10 is what you're going to also see at level 70, but level 70 has way more techniques and tools at your disposal. Crafting and gathering are fully fleshed out systems.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017

I wrote something about it on last page but yeah I suspect there is still content they haven't announced. New POTD / HOH and new relic content is a given. I hope they really build upon both of those because I really believe they can create something awesome with that type of content.

A new "Eureka" but in the open world would be awesome and doable now that we will be able to travel to other servers. That way you can do Eureka content while being in queue, you can put up a party in the PF etc. Of course with more improvements than that, but they seem to be on the right track with Pyros (I have not gotten that far though).

And POTD and HOH could easily be FFXIVs version of WoWs M+, as in challenging content that you can climb / push more and more and go back to. I actually thought HoH would be a more improved version of POTD but I feel like they kind of dropped the ball with that one and just did more of the same with some slight improvemnts but also with less interesting floors? But yeah I think the core of that content is really well done they just need to make the more variations of the layouts and give some nice weekly or monthly rewards.

Will definetly be interesting to see what they have to show us at the other 2 fan fests.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
My (Japanese original) Encyclopedia Volume 2 arrived today, and while I haven't had much time to spend with it just yet, it looks to be as good as the original!

And for the language buffs, pages 34-40 seem to be worth the price of admission alone as they contain a complete explanation of both the Eorzean and Kugane writing systems plus more stuff on the dragons' language!

Wow!

Way back when Stormblood first came out, back at our former home (hope it's OK to link there), we tried to decipher this language, and while that was basically correct, there are also a number of ligatures for when there are two vowels in a row (frequent ones like oi, iu, ou, ei but also for ones that almost never occur in modern Japanese words, like eu, ui, or ua). I can't wait to delve into this and read it all!

There's also a Matoya's Hat in-game item; not sure if I really need this but maybe there will be a secondary market for it.

I;m ecstatic that SE is putting the effort into these kinds of lore books. Michael-Christopher Koji Fox is amazing, as is fellow loremaster Banri Oda. I wish there were a way to be a contributor to this kind of thing.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
My (Japanese original) Encyclopedia Volume 2 arrived today, and while I haven't had much time to spend with it just yet, it looks to be as good as the original!

And for the language buffs, pages 34-40 seem to be worth the price of admission alone as they contain a complete explanation of both the Eorzean and Kugane writing systems plus more stuff on the dragons' language!

Wow!

Way back when Stormblood first came out, back at our former home (hope it's OK to link there), we tried to decipher this language, and while that was basically correct, there are also a number of ligatures for when there are two vowels in a row (frequent ones like oi, iu, ou, ei but also for ones that almost never occur in modern Japanese words, like eu, ui, or ua). I can't wait to delve into this and read it all!

There's also a Matoya's Hat in-game item; not sure if I really need this but maybe there will be a secondary market for it.

I;m ecstatic that SE is putting the effort into these kinds of lore books. Michael-Christopher Koji Fox is amazing, as is fellow loremaster Banri Oda. I wish there were a way to be a contributor to this kind of thing.

I saw someone posted somewhere that this one has lore covered for the dungeons from ARR not sure . Wanted to ask if it covers the dungeons for HW and SB.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
I saw someone posted somewhere that this one has lore covered for the dungeons from ARR not sure . Wanted to ask if it covers the dungeons for HW and SB.

It does; it was nice to get some more info about places like the Gubal Library after all this time. There were also profiles of the inhabitants of places like Gyr Abania and the Azim Steppe; illustrations of weapons and items; it's looking great so far!

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
It does; it was nice to get some more info about places like the Gubal Library after all this time. There were also profiles of the inhabitants of places like Gyr Abania and the Azim Steppe; illustrations of weapons and items; it's looking great so far!

Interesting stuff. Always been interested in the lore. Can't wait for my order to arrive.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Man, I'm just so excited to see the environments of 5.0. Stormblood had some ok areas I guess but nothing very exciting. The Lochs was great but I'm most looking forward to exploring Islabard.

Oct 26, 2017
Saw a reddit thread where someone posited the idea of the Gunblade job being able to Draw from enemies and modify abilities with the stuff they get.

I really like that idea of using something like the Draw command from FF8 and reconfiguring it work in 14. Especially since the job is likely going to be drawing more from Squall in terms of animations/references if any than Lightning based on its design in the trailer.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Asked one of the content sellers how much some shinryu dog runs would be. Considering I would be an active participant, it could at least be split 7 ways.

21 American dollars for a single run. Get the fuck out of here.

I need about 25 tokens each from shin (the hardest to find a group for) and moon lady and I'll be caught up. Why oh why did I win that suzaku dog that put me on this journey

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
lmao, I would much rather wait until the next expansion to unsynch it than to pay that, good lord. 99 runs is over $2000 at that rate.

I couldn't believe it. Especially for a dog run, where it could take 1 or it could take 20 with the buff. Normally it's a significant discounted rate after the first 2 or so (when last i price checked back in mid HW) but nope. You save 3 dollars per run if you bought in bundles of 3!

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's so obvious that the NM's on Pagos don't follow the Amenos rules. They don't spawn from killing enemies, the fates are on a timer. Every couple of minutes, an NM that's been prepped will randomly spawn if there's a slot available. The problem is there' s only 3 slots and the bunny fates take up two of the slots. I've been in instances where people are clearing out the bunny fates and NM's will spawn like crazy...and others where they ignore the bunny fates altogether and bang their head on goats for an hour wondering why it's not spawning. Oh well, only 3 light bars to go. \o/

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
At the same time, I both despise and am fascinated content sellers.

On the one hand, they exploit people who are unable to clear content for reasons: unable to find a good party, no social skills, too much money to burn and too little time so they want the new shiny pixel thingy right now, outright terrible players who either never learned how to play their job or who are unable to get better despite their best intentions and are thus shunned by the community, including their own FC (sadly, I know someone who suffers from this, and I was shocked by how some fellow members (coincidentally, those of those members left the FC since then) were talking about them behind their back... really disappointed, in them and in me, as I was a passive participant at one time, and I am deeply ashamed of my behavior and have made amends since then) and so on.

On the other hand, they managed to make money by offering a service in a video game. And it is quite the business, especially when you have 7 people to split the money between. They don't waste time, time is money. But this is against the Terms of Services, contrary to my idea of what a video game should be, and it is exploiting people.

So no, I remain against this.

Oct 25, 2017
Content sellers exploit players roughly as much as SE exploits me by tacking advantage of my lack of interest in grinding 1-60 again by selling level skips; both cases fill a void in the ecosystem for people who value their spare time more than their money and the shortcut to the 'good part' can be well worth the investment. I'm not interested in buying clears, but have been all over paying my way past alt grinding so I can't really knock people exchanging cash for game things. The game is structured pretty heavily around never forcing you to do anything hard unless you want to, and if somebody really wants to drop a couple hundred (or in extreme cases couple grand) to sport a flashy UCoB or UwU weapon , it's not really any more game-breaking than chucking some money at Mogstation for glamour gear. It's not something I understand, but it also doesn't break the game so... shrug.

The one area that's kind of sketchy are log run sales, particularly piloted log run sales, because they exist for the express purpose of misleading people... but even then, anyone in a position to care about faked logs will also probably pick up on the signs of a paid-for parse pretty quickly.

The existence of sales doesn't and shouldn't interfere with people PUGging things, helping friends, whatever--but there's no real negative impact on the game that I've seen from letting people pay to get corpse-carried to a thing they desperately want. The ToS violation doesn't really register, either, given that violating the ToS to parse during raids is basically expected at this point. I'm fine with the game banning people for talking about RMT sales in-game, but it being against the rules doesn't make it all that harmful.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Man, having no luck at all finding a decent FC on Phoenix, pretty boring playing this without an active FC.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Getting into higher level crafting/gathering.

Can someone explain the folklore stuff you buy w/ red crafting scrips. I'm trying to get Hawk's Eye, says it's unlocked with Geological Folklore - Othard but when I click that item online it says it only unlocks azim spring water, nightsteel ore, palladium ore, & silvergrace ore. What's the deal? Any other requirements?

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
Saw a reddit thread where someone posited the idea of the Gunblade job being able to Draw from enemies and modify abilities with the stuff they get.

I really like that idea of using something like the Draw command from FF8 and reconfiguring it work in 14. Especially since the job is likely going to be drawing more from Squall in terms of animations/references if any than Lightning based on its design in the trailer.

That would be cool, give FF8 some love as it's been largely overlooked in FF14.

People are speculating that the job will probably be called Soldier or Magitek Knight, but if it's called SeeD I will lose my shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.