• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if you're healing or tanking you can skip reflect and instead focus on other stuff that might be useful like the defense buff for tank, protect L, or anything that helps the tank survive the massive amount of damage the moths inflict...

As for releveling, the moths drop anywhere from 200k to 900k xp. You usually hit lv 50 on your 3rd or 4th chain and have to delevel again to continue doing it at optimal level.

Do you need a tank to pull the moths, and if so do they get the same amount of light?

Last edited:

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need a tank to pull the moths, and if so do they get the same amount of light?
Yes, the moths do auto attacks for a few seconds before the cone attack that only a tank can survive through so they have to do the initial pull. Make sure they take Wisdom of the Guardian to make it easier on the healer.

They'll get the same amount of light as long they're the same level of the rest of the party. 49 seems to be the optimal level for maximizing xp/light from the moths.

Lauren

Feb 16, 2018
Cardiff
I'm trying to catch up with the relic. I got to level 20 and quit. The weekly challenge logs don't take long but when I leave Anemos and go Pagos, it's dead when I go in the starting areas.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Managed to hit level 20 as well yesterday, though I've not yet gone to pagos, hopefully I'm lucky and it's somewhat active in the starting areas.

Lauren

Feb 16, 2018
Cardiff
Managed to hit level 20 as well yesterday, though I've not yet gone to Pagos, hopefully, I'm lucky and it's somewhat active in the starting areas.

I found this Pagos map here. I think it's best to stick in Anemos until level 25 maybe because that's when the actual light farm starts. So you can go in, do the level 21, 23 and 25 quests and start relic farm straight away. Much faster maybe? Not sure.

Actually I found a good comment on reddit;
How long should I stay in Anemos for just doing challenge logs/fates each week? What's the best level to move onto Pagos?
At least 25. You can't begin gathering light in Pagos until then and getting around the map is so bothersome that it's not worth it before then. You might even push it off until 30 so you can grab the Geothermal Studies aetheryte which will give you access to the northern half of the map considerably easier than walking and 90% of the FATEs that the train will spawn.
When I go to Pagos - what's the best course of action? Getting around solo seems kind of difficult.
Follow the train but probably stick to the southern half of the map until you get the Geothermal Studies aetheryte or a two-person mounted teammate to ferry you through the long, dangerous corridor between the two halves of the map.
What's the most efficient way of farming light now? Do I just hope to find a party in there?
Kill dragons on their own or the one at the entrance to the Crystal Forge. Killing the dragons on chain kills 5/10/15/20/25/30 will award a lot of light if it procs. Do FATEs when they spawn, they give guaranteed light too.
Just shout for a light party. There are plenty of people doing it.

Last edited:

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm finally into the game . I've tried since alpha to get it to hook me like ffxi did for 7 years.

The BLU reveal brought me back to try bard on a whim and now I'm level 45 on it within a few days.

I've been streaming it every night on Mixer and my community is loving it.

Anyone else stream this game regularly on Mixer ? Anyone interested in starting to ? I'm actively trying to grow the game's audience and scene on Mixer.

ProfessorRad's Stream

For anyone interested feel free to swing by 9:30 PM EST! Also if it is bad form or policy to promote this let me know I'll edit it right away— not trying to be a tool.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Got so much adrenaline running through me right now.
I've just rejoined and started tanking after 3+ years away, so admittedly, I'm a rookie at this stuff.

But I got a roulette in Stone Vigil (Hard) and it was NOT going well. Cannon boss took 4 attempts, we had to find a new DPS mid dungeon because one just quit, first boss took 2 attempts because DPS decided to draw aggro as I was luring the boss into a corner and it killed the healer.

And then the final boss rolled around. I could be wrong, but does this boss just attack areas, regardless of emnity? Because I had aggro the entire fight, but healer and DPS1 died when the boss cloned. But whatever, Me and DPS2 are just plugging away.....and then DPS2 died just before we killed one of the bosses.

So, wipe, right?

NOT TODAY! With the 2nd boss at full health, I just decided to go it alone and actually solo'ed that motherfucker! Granted, it's super easy if you just stick to it's side, but still, to take a boss from 100% to death on my own felt amazing!

I may be a shitty tank, but I felt like a god damn warrior in that moment!

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Phew. I reached level 70 Astrologian. I just reached the point where we are going to fight Lakshmi in the story.
I tried to use the Duty Roulettes as a Red Mage afterwards... Yup, DPS queues are still a thing.
Best way to level up seems to be PotD and HoH I guess?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any chance the game's performance on 4K mode ever improve on consoles? I only ever use it for screenshots because the frame rate fucking tanks.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I can't run the game on my TV. For some reasons it is extremely dark, despite me adjusting the settings.

Ushiromiya

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
White Mage level 70! Time to find out if Plenary Indulgence is worth putting up with Sylphie's BS.

Phew. I reached level 70 Astrologian. I just reached the point where we are going to fight Lakshmi in the story.
I tried to use the Duty Roulettes as a Red Mage afterwards... Yup, DPS queues are still a thing.

Best way is to get a tank friend who is also leveling to carry you.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Got so much adrenaline running through me right now.
I've just rejoined and started tanking after 3+ years away, so admittedly, I'm a rookie at this stuff.

But I got a roulette in Stone Vigil (Hard) and it was NOT going well. Cannon boss took 4 attempts, we had to find a new DPS mid dungeon because one just quit, first boss took 2 attempts because DPS decided to draw aggro as I was luring the boss into a corner and it killed the healer.

And then the final boss rolled around. I could be wrong, but does this boss just attack areas, regardless of emnity? Because I had aggro the entire fight, but healer and DPS1 died when the boss cloned. But whatever, Me and DPS2 are just plugging away.....and then DPS2 died just before we killed one of the bosses.

So, wipe, right?

NOT TODAY! With the 2nd boss at full health, I just decided to go it alone and actually solo'ed that motherfucker! Granted, it's super easy if you just stick to it's side, but still, to take a boss from 100% to death on my own felt amazing!

I may be a shitty tank, but I felt like a god damn warrior in that moment!

That boss specifically doesn't go by traditional aggro rules. Its attacks are AOE and are telegraphed by the animation instead of a cast bar and visible AOE indicator.

So as long as you react to the animation in time you can dodge and avoid the damage completely.

I think my favourite thing is having the entire party die and manage to finish off the boss on your own before it kills you. I mean finishing it off when you are almost dead and have no cooldowns.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA

Since RDM starts at 50 it's not too hard to get it up to 70 with just PoTD and HoH. I've also found Alliance Raid Roulette queue times aren't too bad for DPS during peak hours, or at least it wasn't that bad a few month ago when I was running them (which kind of makes sense since 24 man raids are mostly made up of DPS). Daily Stormblood beast tribe quests (Ananta and Kojin) give a decent chunk of XP from level 61 onwards I believe, so a lot of people will do those while they wait on queue time for things like leveling roulette.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Reflect light parties are both the best thing ever and worst thing ever at the same time.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
How so? Haven't tried joining a reflect party yet.

It sucks when you get people who have no idea what they're doing and you waste 30+ minutes waiting on them. Or when you get tanks who overestimate themselves and the party disbands and you waste most of a stack of reflect. The group I was in tonight had a guy join and we waited 30 minutes on him to get to the farm spot. When he finally got there, he didn't do anything. He didn't know what the party was. He thought we were farming logograms to make reflect.

Then, the tank who was pulling for the group tried to get more than he could handle. More than once, we got to about a 20 chain and he decided to pull as much as he could and ended up wiping the party. We never got a 30 chain as long as he was the tank.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Minion/mount roulette is already in, it's just an additional option to only do the roulette for your favorites, which lets you ignore the ones you don't like. It's nice they're finally adding UI changes, a lot of this stuff has been requested for years. I guess the PS3 dying is finally paying off.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Those roulette changes are great and definitely something I've wanted for a long time. Also reminded me that I should really mop up the trial/raid mounts from HW at some point soon.

Aurelia Borel

Oct 30, 2017
White Mage level 70! Time to find out if Plenary Indulgence is worth putting up with Sylphie's BS.

Plenary is...well, it's interesting. To me, it's WHM's most useless skill from the expansion (in terms of how often do I actually need it), but there are a few places where it is helpful, though those places are highly situational. I really hope it gets a bit of an overhaul in 5.0. Confession stacks definitely need to last longer, and I think I'd like it if they could be generated by Assize as well.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It sucks when you get people who have no idea what they're doing and you waste 30+ minutes waiting on them. Or when you get tanks who overestimate themselves and the party disbands and you waste most of a stack of reflect. The group I was in tonight had a guy join and we waited 30 minutes on him to get to the farm spot. When he finally got there, he didn't do anything. He didn't know what the party was. He thought we were farming logograms to make reflect.

Then, the tank who was pulling for the group tried to get more than he could handle. More than once, we got to about a 20 chain and he decided to pull as much as he could and ended up wiping the party. We never got a 30 chain as long as he was the tank.

Ah ok. Yeah I kind of figured things like this would happen. Reflect parties sound pretty efficient when the party knows what they're doing, but it's kind of like running dungeons and trials in DF where you don't know how competent your party is going to be going into it. And to be fair, I can see myself messing it up in the beginning and accidentally letting the tank die as a healer, etc.

rics2980

Oct 28, 2017
So I know absolutely nothing about this game and I just want to know if it's easy to play with friends and family? My brother and I are interested so I just want to find information out before we bite.

I read something about needing to be lol 15 to group up? If true, how long does it take usually? Thank you.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
So I know absolutely nothing about this game and I just want to know if it's easy to play with friends and family? My brother and I are interested so I just want to find information out before we bite.

I read something about needing to be lol 15 to group up? If true, how long does it take usually? Thank you.
Sure it's easy to play with other people.

There's a few restrictions however. First, your starting class determines which city-state you start in. You can pick 2 classes that start in the same but if you don't, you won't be together for a while, until "15", although on a preferred server(recommended servers for new players), with the double xp bonus you'll be much higher than 15, it's just the lvl 15 Main Story Quest. This takes like, a couple of hours or so, maybe more depending on how slow you go. If you'd rather group, then just pick 2 classes that start in the same city, you can pick another class later and releveling the 2nd class is a lot quicker since you get bonus xp.

On top of that, there's some things that you can't really group for. Class/Job quest instances are one example. I'm not entirely sure on Story instances either, I don't know if you can enter but have to do them twice for each player, or if you can't enter at all. It means every now and then, you'll have to stop and do things on your own for 5-10mins, then you can join back together. This doesn't make up for that much time, but it's still pretty common and worth noting. Once at endgame though, there's not really anything you can't group for that I can think of. Maybe some parts of the PvP not sure about that, but everything else can be queued as a group.

For the cities, it's indicated on the character creation screen but: Limsa Lomina= Marauder/Arcanist(and Rogue once unlocked at lvl 10), Gridannia=Conjurer/Archer/Lancer, Ul'dah=Gladiator/Pugilist/Thaumaturgist.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA

If all your friends/family are also new and starting off, you probably should all select the same server to start off on so you can all hang out in game. I would suggest a Preferred world/server as this will give you a 100% XP boost until Level 60 with a class (to put in context, it lasts a good while as max level right now is 70). Shouldn't take too long to hit level 15 or so to play the first dungeon, but don't remember exactly how long. It can probably be done in a day playing a few hours (though it'll probably take you a bit of time to get used to the controls and UI) or a few days of more casual play.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Hey gang, saw Stormblood was on sale and impulse-bought it. Haven't played in a million years (I think guild housing was new last time I played).

Just sent my guild application in to rejoin. Character is Kera Shan.

edit: thanks for the invite! Kinda overwhelming starting back up, but it's really cute seeing the game again :D

Last edited:

Ushiromiya

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Finished the level 70 WHM quest. Probably my favorite job questline in SB after Dark Knight. It was obvious what was going to happen in the end from the very start, but the way it was handled was still very well done and quite touching.

The AF3 is so hideous though, like omg.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Man, didn't realize just how rough it would be heal a reflect party in Pyros. Put a Protect and Protect L logo on the Tank then spammed cures and still couldn't get them to survive for a full chain. Tank kept yelling at me to 'pay attention' but not sure what else I was supposed to do. Divine Beni and Tetra helped a bit in tight spots like they usually do but then I ran into trouble when they were on cooldown. Someone else in the party offered to heal and figured that was a good opportunity to leave. Guess I was doing something wrong, but don't remember the dragon light farm in Pagos being that tough in terms of healing.

Anyways, think I'm finally done with Pyros. Didn't get the best substats on my weapon, but it's at least serviceable now, and don't feel like wasting more time on RNG for better substats.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Man, didn't realize just how rough it would be heal a reflect party in Pyros. Put a Protect and Protect L logo on the Tank then spammed cures and still couldn't get them to survive for a full chain. Tank kept yelling at me to 'pay attention' but not sure what else I was supposed to do. Divine Beni and Tetra helped a bit in tight spots like they usually do but then I ran into trouble when they were on cooldown. Someone else in the party offered to heal and figured that was a good opportunity to leave. Guess I was doing something wrong, but don't remember the dragon light farm in Pagos being that tough in terms of healing.

Anyways, think I'm finally done with Pyros. Didn't get the best substats on my weapon, but it's at least serviceable now, and don't feel like wasting more time on RNG for better substats.

Did the tank have Wisdom of the Guardian on and elemental wheel set to defense? Tank stance on? Popping cooldowns?

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Did the tank have Wisdom of the Guardian on and elemental wheel set to defense? Tank stance on? Popping cooldowns?

They didn't have any logos on besides the protect L I put on. No clue on the other ones to be honest never played tank before and not sure how to check. The way they were dropping health it felt like running into undergeared tanks in dungeons in DF but wasn't sure if that's because of the high level enemies in these reflect parties. Tank seemed a bit rude and started blaming me whenever they went down, so when someone else offered to heal I was more than happy to leave. Again, maybe I was doing something wrong with my healing, but not sure what else I was supposed to be doing.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't have any logos on besides the protect L I put on. No clue on the other ones to be honest never played tank before and not sure how to check. The way they were dropping health it felt like running into undergeared tanks in dungeons in DF but wasn't sure if that's because of the high level enemies in these reflect parties. Tank seemed a bit rude and started blaming me whenever they went down, so when someone else offered to heal I was more than happy to leave. Again, maybe I was doing something wrong with my healing, but not sure what else I was supposed to be doing.
Tank honestly just sounds like an ass. Shit can go south fast while reflect farming cause the moths can do poison iirc, but frankly the tank shares as much if not more of the blame cause theyre the ones that set the pace. They should have had on the Wisdom def buff to have made it easier on you and slowed down their pace if it was too much instead of shouting at you.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah! I feel so accomplished after this.

UGPgvB7.jpg

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Hell yeah! I feel so accomplished after this.

UGPgvB7.jpg
? Tried to quote to see if there was a link to something I block but seems not, you forgot an image or something?

New Starlight stuff looks kinda meh but free stuff I guess. Still have my 4days free login campaign stuff, I'll resub to grab them and get some weekly stuff done and then resub for real a bit later to prepare for 4.5. Can't wait for BLU farming.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Tank honestly just sounds like an ass. Shit can go south fast while reflect farming cause the moths can do poison iirc, but frankly the tank shares as much if not more of the blame cause theyre the ones that set the pace. They should have had on the Wisdom def buff to have made it easier on you and slowed down their pace if it was too much instead of shouting at you.

This for sure. If he didn't even have a logos buff on he definitely was not doing everything he could to help you.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's right, but I could be wrong. My understanding is Blue Mage is part of the first part of the patch (January) while Eureka Hydatos and the server reshuffle/world visitation is part 2 (March).

Ok that's what people on reddit were telling me too I guess I'll go ahead and resub when I get paid on Friday.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Ok that's what people on reddit were telling me too I guess I'll go ahead and resub when I get paid on Friday.
We don't know for sure though. I'd wait until the live letter. It's on the 21st and then we'll know for sure when BLU is released. It is possible they're late and it'll be say, 4.51 or 4.52 or whatever number they decide later on.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I would assume BLU is coming in January. If it was in 4.5x, then why bother announcing it at the American Fanfest instead of the French or Japanese ones?

Lauren

Feb 16, 2018
Cardiff
I would assume BLU is coming in January. If it was in 4.5x, then why bother announcing it at the American Fanfest instead of the French or Japanese ones?

I guess it's so NA feels like they get something other than expac title.

JP will probably get new jobs or race & full trailer and then EU the left overs.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
The live letter at the fanfest was explicitly covering the first part of 4.5x, so unless it's delayed I'm expecting January.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Sure that's what everyone expects, but they could say "we hit some unforeseen delays and it'll now be 4.51 patch, in early february" for example. Doesn't have to be all the way to 4.55 in march, could be inbetween. Was just saying since the person said they wanted to resub next week, presumably in preparation for BLU, that they could just wait one additional week until the 21st to be absolutely sure of when BLU is released. Since they were waiting to get paid to resub, I'd assume the sub cost is something they'd care enough about that it'd be wiser to just wait a little bit more and not "waste" it. I mean wouldn't be wasted entirely since 4.5 is still most likely coming and that's gonna have some fire MSQ probably, but you know.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA

This for sure. If he didn't even have a logos buff on he definitely was not doing everything he could to help you.

Thanks that makes me feel a bit better. I think I've gotten fairly comfortable with healing in the game for the most part, but situations like these just make me question whether I'm missing something obvious (at least before I start writing it off as a tank issue). Guess I should look into identifying tank stances and cooldowns to make it easier to see what's a tank issue or whether I'm not healing enough.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
? Tried to quote to see if there was a link to something I block but seems not, you forgot an image or something?

New Starlight stuff looks kinda meh but free stuff I guess. Still have my 4days free login campaign stuff, I'll resub to grab them and get some weekly stuff done and then resub for real a bit later to prepare for 4.5. Can't wait for BLU farming.

A screenshot of me completing Feast of Famine lol

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played since August 2015. Nearly came back like 6 months ago for a bit, but never subbed again. As Christmas break is approaching I might try and fit a one month sub in to see how the game has changed.

Logged into my account on the web browser and my character is level 52. It's safe to say 3+ years later I will have no clue what to do lol.

Quick question, I have Heavensward, but not Stormblood. If I buy a new sealed physical disc copy of Stormblood for PS4, does it come with a code or can it be used alongside my current account?

The digital copy of Stormblood on PS4 is like £37! Whereas I can pickup a sealed physical copy for less than £10.

edit: Seemed to answer my own question - https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6gi4v5/ps4_stormblood_physical_copy_disc_needed/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.