• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It was mentioned near the end of the live patch notes reading, but if the maintenance goes well it might end even 2 hours earlier than planned (but no earlier).

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can I just take a moment to gush over how much I love my commission for a lanyard for the EU FanFest?:

mWiKv44.png

And the full set my friends and I did:
Paris.png

Artist: http://rocketpunchriot.tumblr.com/
❤️❤️❤️

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway finished the Fishing sidequests stuff that someone mentioned a few days ago. Neptodragon took me a while, apparently googling it, it has a chance to escape regardless of gathering(I have 1200 so obviously not a number issue when cap back then was like 300). I caught it like 9times before it didn't escape, just at the end of a weather window too. Everything else was pretty easy and only took one window other than the lightning shroud one which took 2 windows with first being wasted because I forgot to change tackle.

Yay, congrats! I just came in to post my recent Big Fish success and saw your post.

Last night I managed to catch Kuno the Killer, Namitaro, and Endoceras. I already had Shonisaurus from a long time ago, so that just leaves Helicoprion and Nepto. I'm pretty sure I had Nepto on the line 3 or 4 times last night be he got away. So I just need to wait for the proper weather/time window for Heli and then focus on Nepto.

Kuno the Killer was by far the hardest one for me so far. I didn't really understand the "Fisher's Intuition" buff concept, as many of the guides out there don't even mention it at all. I tried to get him without the buff for way too long, then got him right away in my first buff window, same with Namitaro.

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I'm wondering regarding Orbonne is whether or not
Fran's model is just using the model from FFXII or if it's using the model they've made for the expansion.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
So there's still weekly lockouts for Savage right?
And Genesis still capped at 450 weekly?

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Rival Wings got a total rebalance. We knew about the Brutal Justice change but not all this. Might as well call it Rival Wings 2.0 at this point.

I wonder how the buffs to melee and tanks will play out in RW and Frontline. Ninjas will be deadly now.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Why is it disappointing? I haven't kept up with it.
It's a "job" and not a full fledged job, and it's looking like it's not currently planned to ever be one.

They're going to slowly raise the level cap so you can goof around and take it into old content, but there's not much to be excited about, outside of clearing the BLU coliseum thing with its mini-challenges for allied seals to get the rest of the old world riding speed upgrades.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's a "job" and not a full fledged job, and it's looking like it's not currently planned to ever be one.

They're going to slowly raise the level cap so you can goof around and take it into old content, but there's not much to be excited about, outside of clearing the BLU coliseum thing with its mini-challenges for allied seals to get the rest of the old world riding speed upgrades.

Didn't they make it clear that BLU is kind of a teaser job and it will become a full-fledged job in Shadowbringers?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Didn't they make it clear that BLU is kind of a teaser job and it will become a full-fledged job in Shadowbringers?
No.

They haven't made it clear the other way either. The only thing they've said is they'll keep adding more stuff to it over time, but not in 5.0 because they don't want people to be distracted by BLU with all the other new content. It could become a full fledged class, it could stay a 10levels under current content only class, it could become a solo god class that is same level but can't participate in any current high end duties for that expansions, we have no idea, and I'd expect they themselves don't know for sure at this point, they're just working on adding more skills and more Carnival stuff and they'll see how people react to it to see what direction they go in.

Anything that is being discussed about BLU's future is purely speculation.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Even if BLU doesn't become a full main class, I'm happy with it as a new kind of side content. Though I imagine its future, and other limited jobs, will depend upon the reception once it comes out.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No.

They haven't made it clear the other way either. The only thing they've said is they'll keep adding more stuff to it over time, but not in 5.0 because they don't want people to be distracted by BLU with all the other new content. It could become a full fledged class, it could stay a 10levels under current content only class, it could become a solo god class that is same level but can't participate in any current high end duties for that expansions, we have no idea, and I'd expect they themselves don't know for sure at this point, they're just working on adding more skills and more Carnival stuff and they'll see how people react to it to see what direction they go in.

Anything that is being discussed about BLU's future is purely speculation.
It was either the last live letter or Yoshi-P Q&A, but they actually stated that it's unlikely that BLU will hit 80 by the end of Shadowbringers, which means that unless they uncharacteristically completely reverse course, that part isn't speculation.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't get my hopes up for the Blue Mage. And as PurpleRainz pointed out, Square-Enix/Yoshida is kind of used to drop some side-content with FFXIV.
That being said, I think they can deliver something rather nice, but I know what to expect at that point. I don't really care anymore.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the actual limits to what you can do with BLU? You can't do MSQ and roulettes I think but what about trials, dungeons, raids etc?

I don't mind the single player aspect as that fits me fine I just want some clarity on how small a net limited jobs are.

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the actual limits to what you can do with BLU? You can't do MSQ and roulettes I think but what about trials, dungeons, raids etc?

I don't mind the single player aspect as that fits me fine I just want some clarity on how small a net limited jobs are.
You can only queue with preformed parties.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Totally out of the loop...there's some kind of NPC party thing coming soon yeah? Where you can form a group of you and just AI-controlled people to play through content with? That's not coming with this patch though, I assume.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Totally out of the loop...there's some kind of NPC party thing coming soon yeah? Where you can form a group of you and just AI-controlled people to play through content with? That's not coming with this patch though, I assume.
Trusts are coming in the expansion in ~6months or so, but we don't really know the details.

You can play right now with Squadrons in some specific dungeons, but only works for these dungeons, no other content and you have to level your squadron which takes a pretty long time(and level your GC rank if you're not high enough too).

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
You can only queue with preformed parties.

Hmm I've been getting a lot of use out of party finder recently so maybe that will be a thing. Wonder if it will work with the trust system though but then that's months away and BLU may have run its course with me by then. Next week should be interesting.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Command missions with my Squadron wouldn't be so bad if several things weren't atrocious:
  • You have no choice over which Tactics gets unlocked or leveled up, which is kind of annoying when your DPS (ie. Archer) never unlock the Offensive one, the only one interesting (since it gives +60% Damage at max level). Not to mention that there is the possibility of them not learning anything after a 20 to 30min slog through a dungeon (less once you unlock high level ones, but you have to get there first).
  • The healer AI is not great, and can take quite a bit of time before realizing maybe it should heal you if you play Tank. Don't expect to survive big pulls, and even small ones can lead to a nasty surprise. And always keep in your crossbar potions. You will need them. Arcanists can help with healing, but they are not very reactive either, and of course their heals are less powerful.
  • The Limit Break is nice and all, but during its execution the healer AI will not heal you, and it can lead to death against a boss.
  • Some dungeons can become at best very difficult, at worst impossible to complete depending on your job. Don't do Brayflox (Hard) as an Astrologian: you won't be able to get rid of all the bombs in the middle in time, as you do not have Gravity yet or any kind of AoE. And, of course, your Squadron won't help you.
  • Your Squadron doesn't care about mechanics. Furthermore, every single mechanic which should have picked a player at random will pick you instead, always. Since your only option is to make them withdraw and come back into melee, your range of actions is pretty limited, and each time they are withdrawing they will not do a single action (including, you guess it, healing).
  • It would be more interesting if more dungeons could be added.
Too bad I didn't play the game when those missions were released, I've read that it was incredibly easy to level-up as your squad members were quite overpowered. They may still be once you unlock the level 5 tactics (ie. offensive level 5 on pretty much everyone; OK, gross exageration, but you get my drift; Healer should be Balanced, and Tank Defensive IIRC), but in the meanwhile it's not always fun. Brayflox, Stone Vigil and Dzemael are fine though.

And despite all of this, these missions still grant a shiton of EXP, and you can AFK whenever you want. That's a big advantage if you want to do things at your pace. Not to mention absolutely no queue, and no awful random players (at least the AI is consistent in what it does). Overall they remain quite nice, but their shortcomings need to be addressed.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I've been getting a lot of use out of party finder recently so maybe that will be a thing. Wonder if it will work with the trust system though but then that's months away and BLU may have run its course with me by then. Next week should be interesting.

The Trust system is only for 5.0 content at launch so BLU couldn't use them anyway.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping the AI is better once the Trust thing is out.

Stuff like your healer refusing to heal you for a long time resulting in death is annoying.

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhhhhhhhh the smell of new content. Can't wait to come back. Got crsyta ready to go for mogstation.

Don't remember the ilevel I left my Warrior at but hopefully I can get into the new Primal EX easily.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
The Trust system is only for 5.0 content at launch so BLU couldn't use them anyway.

Hah well that's that then. To be honest I'll probably just give it a whirl and see what it's like then continue the grind through Heavensward and the Stormblood. Trying not to get too side tracked from the MSQ now it's starting to get really good.

I met midgardsormr for the first time this weekend and that was awesome. The fight at the end of the dungeon was probably the best I've encountered so far. Feels like a good turning point for the story as well.

The minion is the cutest especially when it sits on your shoulder.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hah well that's that then. To be honest I'll probably just give it a whirl and see what it's like then continue the grind through Heavensward and the Stormblood. Trying not to get too side tracked from the MSQ now it's starting to get really good.

I met midgardsormr for the first time this weekend and that was awesome. The fight at the end of the dungeon was probably the best I've encountered so far. Feels like a good turning point for the story as well.

The minion is the cutest especially when it sits on your shoulder.

You're not wrong - that dungeon is kind of where the plot starts to wind up and get real. And Midgardsormr is a bro. Just wait until you see his next incarnation! Heavensward was so good.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong - that dungeon is kind of where the plot starts to wind up and get real. And Midgardsormr is a bro. Just wait until you see his next incarnation! Heavensward was so good.

Looking forward to starting Heavensward this week hopefully. The quests between ARR and it seemed to have went on for ages but I've enjoyed the majority of them. The run up to Shiva was great and even though when it comes to EX Primals she's the easiest so far its my favourite of the Trials I've unlocked.

Doing the manderville dance before diamond dust then her standing on my frozen head never gets old. Plus her boss music is awesome. Shame she won't drop me her samurai sword though.

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
Command missions with my Squadron wouldn't be so bad if several things weren't atrocious:
  • Some dungeons can become at best very difficult, at worst impossible to complete depending on your job. Don't do Brayflox (Hard) as an Astrologian: you won't be able to get rid of all the bombs in the middle in time, as you do not have Gravity yet or any kind of AoE. And, of course, your Squadron won't help you.
  • Your Squadron doesn't care about mechanics. Furthermore, every single mechanic which should have picked a player at random will pick you instead, always. Since your only option is to make them withdraw and come back into melee, your range of actions is pretty limited, and each time they are withdrawing they will not do a single action (including, you guess it, healing)
I JUST ragequit'd Brayflox (Hard) with my RDM over the weekend. Squad was just sitting there as I furiously tried to throw out my limited AOE's in time. Nope. I wonder if they're going to let Squadron's die when Trust system comes out.

Oct 26, 2017
  • You have no choice over which Tactics gets unlocked or leveled up, which is kind of annoying when your DPS (ie. Archer) never unlock the Offensive one, the only one interesting (since it gives +60% Damage at max level). Not to mention that there is the possibility of them not learning anything after a 20 to 30min slog through a dungeon (less once you unlock high level ones, but you have to get there first).
  • The healer AI is not great, and can take quite a bit of time before realizing maybe it should heal you if you play Tank. Don't expect to survive big pulls, and even small ones can lead to a nasty surprise. And always keep in your crossbar potions. You will need them. Arcanists can help with healing, but they are not very reactive either, and of course their heals are less powerful.
  • The Limit Break is nice and all, but during its execution the healer AI will not heal you, and it can lead to death against a boss.
  • Your Squadron doesn't care about mechanics. Furthermore, every single mechanic which should have picked a player at random will pick you instead, always. Since your only option is to make them withdraw and come back into melee, your range of actions is pretty limited, and each time they are withdrawing they will not do a single action (including, you guess it, healing).
  • It would be more interesting if more dungeons could be added.
Too bad I didn't play the game when those missions were released, I've read that it was incredibly easy to level-up as your squad members were quite overpowered. They may still be once you unlock the level 5 tactics (ie. offensive level 5 on pretty much everyone; OK, gross exageration, but you get my drift; Healer should be Balanced, and Tank Defensive IIRC), but in the meanwhile it's not always fun. Brayflox, Stone Vigil and Dzemael are fine though.

And despite all of this, these missions still grant a shiton of EXP, and you can AFK whenever you want. That's a big advantage if you want to do things at your pace. Not to mention absolutely no queue, and no awful random players (at least the AI is consistent in what it does). Overall they remain quite nice, but their shortcomings need to be addressed.

For clarification you can do Brayflox HM as an AST. I died the first time and second time I managed to clear a safe space with just spamming Combust.

It's pretty tricky but doable. However it does show that things can get difficult when you're the only one who can deal with mechanics. For mechanics that require you to move around a lot away from the boss you pretty much have to let your squadron DPS the boss down so the tactics are going to be different than usual 4 player dungeons where everyone gets targeted by mechanics instead of one person all the time.

Another thing is tanks ignoring adds that break away. At the start of a pull they will hit all the mobs but after that if a mob breaks away they will not attempt to grab them unless you order your squad to attack it.

I think the tank AI should focus on keeping aggro on all enemies in combat since that's the bare minimum expected from tanks.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Im readdicted.
And now have 5 months before shadow to go through all content from the patches post ARR to 4.5.
Wish me luck

Hope the plot gets crazy in HW and SB

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't really dug into the last patch too much so I've got a fair bit of catch up to do before I can get into 4.5 content. I am looking forward to trying out Blue Mage tomorrow though.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
It was mentioned near the end of the live patch notes reading, but if the maintenance goes well it might end even 2 hours earlier than planned (but no earlier).

Have they ever done this before? I thought, due to people fight for world-firsts and such, they are pretty firm on when servers come back.

Also, I want to know when to get up :P

Mariage Sorcière

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I will be doing Seiiryu normal and Ex as soon as maint finishes, so if anyone from the FC (or just on primal data centre) wants to join me in blind prog hit me up.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Time of My Life probably needed to go because of Viera and the platform already being crowded.

Any Way the Wind Blows is the best GATE.

Status
Not open for further replies.