• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how's the MSQ? I'm dying at work.

Very obvious that they split it in two and it kind of just ends as is, but it's alright. The dungeon is fun, and should bring some much-needed variety to Expert Roulette.

Actual story in a nutshell:

UWtSWzN.jpg

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Oh also 2nd 24man timer run out earlier today since I started playing, first was in WoD back in ARR. That sword guy boss has quite the raid wipe moves, eventually people learned and we cleared it real smooth and then had to kill the last boss in 13mins, which obviously didn't happen on first try.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
We managed to clear the Monastery with 13min remaining. The bosses were quite fun. The third one in particular pretty made me think both "YEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!" and "... We are so dead" upon seeing it.
And that music... Dear God.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished Monastery as well, managed to get through with around 15 minutes left. I figured we'd have to abandon duty after we wiped for the fifth time on the third boss but we only lost about three people who were quickly replaced and we cleared it after that, probably my best alliance raid experience to date. While I thought the story for the Ivalice raid was incredibly dull the actual raids were by far the strongest they've had so far and made up for the disappointing story.
So based on that final cutscene as well as the dialogue with Fran after the raid I'm guessing we'll be seeing Fran and Gabranth in Shadowbringers at some point.

TLSLex

Oct 26, 2017
Scotland
Cleared Orbonne. Probably my favourite of the Ivalice raid series. I would say that if you took an average of this 24-man tier it's probably better overall than the Heavensward 24-mans, but the Heavensward 24-man tier has higher highs (Ozma, Diabolos) and the lowest low (Void Ark).

I honestly have not enjoyed most of the Stormblood primals (or just fights I guess, since some of them aren't actually primals in the traditional sense) and I'm looking forward to whatever comes next. They're not terrible and they're probably the most stylistically cohesive of each of the 3 groups we've had, but I haven't found myself excited to do a fight in the game since Hali in O3S, and that was the gem of its tier. The extreme primal fights used to be my absolute favourite aspect of the game and now it's just something I do to get weapons for alts if I can be bothered.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Thoughts on current msq
I thought when they revealed solus is an ascian and the whole point of the country is to bring chaos to the world, varis would rebel against him and team up with us for shadowbringers
Turns out he pretty much believes in the cause as well?
What was the point of showing us scenes where varis is angry at solus?
My current theory is that varis is faking it right now, in shadowbringers he will cooperate with the scions to defeat solus

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Thoughts on current msq
I thought when they revealed solus is an ascian and the whole point of the country is to bring chaos to the world, varis would rebel against him and team up with us for shadowbringers
Turns out he pretty much believes in the cause as well?
What was the point of showing us scenes where varis is angry at solus?
My current theory is that varis is faking it right now, in shadowbringers he will cooperate with the scions to defeat solus
Nah, he doesn't believe in their cause. He wants to unite all races back into one so they can beat back the forces of light and dark. He's definitely not there for the Ascians or Hydaelyn. But uniting mankind means going along with the Ascian plan, even if he doesn't like them. They're a good means to an end, I think.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
maybe i used the wrong phrase
but who's to say the universe won't just end when all the worlds colllide?
he's putting a stupidly big trust on the ascians
it's just a strange 180 of his character imo

also, interesting how every calamity brought an end to 1 world, so with 7 calamities (we're in 7th umbral era so there are 7 calamities if i'm not mistaken), there are now only 6 worlds remaining?
not sure how a calamity in our world brought ends to other worlds

https://imgur.com/a/FhPtF4B
male new race lore

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So Varis is a fucking idiot right?
He wants to commit genocide so that humanity becomes a single race again? How the fuck does that make sense? How does that even happen?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So Varis is a fucking idiot right?
He wants to commit genocide so that humanity becomes a single race again? How the fuck does that make sense? How does that even happen?

Varis does seem like an idiot, yes.

I'm honestly confused what his reasoning is here. He should know better!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Orbonne is rough. I don't know if I want to do it again until there's a guide out and I can study up on mechanics.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Ivalice was fun. Managed to beat with about 15 mins left.

Lots of potential 5.0 story stuff set up there.

It's always nice to get more Tactics music. That remix of the 3rd boss song was nice.

Mariage Sorcière

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Just finished the new dungeon. Pretty fun, very cinematic with some interesting fights.

Also, WHM is so bad now even Kan-E-Senna is switching to AST. I rolled me eyes when she used collective unconscious

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got in, main-tanked all the way to the final boss, and then people decided to give up after a couple of wipes. Less overall salt than I remember in Ridorana and Rabanastre, which was nice.

Cool fights, other than sniper gundam, though.

We really did not need Gubal mechanics in a 24 man.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the new dungeon. Pretty fun, very cinematic with some interesting fights.

Also, WHM is so bad now even Kan-E-Senna is switching to AST. I rolled me eyes when she used collective unconscious
Kan-E-Senna can use it, Collective unconscious was a Conjurer ability in 1.0. Y'shtola has used it too prior to Astrologian being revealed.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

also, interesting how every calamity brought an end to 1 world, so with 7 calamities (we're in 7th umbral era so there are 7 calamities if i'm not mistaken), there are now only 6 worlds remaining?

male new race lore
It's gonna end up being sex locked races. Female bunnies and male lions.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017

male new race lore
calamities are what allow ascians to force other shards to be rejoined to the source world (the one we play on.)

basically they cause enough damage to hydaelyn to force her to have to absorb a shard to replenish the world's aether. (otherwise there may not be enough to keep life going) as shown in 3.4, the shards are their own worlds themselves with their own people and life and differences.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
calamities are what allow ascians to force other shards to be rejoined to the source world (the one we play on.)

basically they cause enough damage to hydaelyn to force her to have to absorb a shard to replenish the world's aether. (otherwise there may not be enough to keep life going) as shown in 3.4, the shards are their own worlds themselves with their own people and life and differences.

Ok now it makes a little sense.
Basicaly if they fuck shit up enough, they'll force Hydaelyn to use other worlds to heal itself and Varis hopes this will cause different races to merge or some shit.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017

Cool, thanks for the explanation

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I loved the 24 man raid but damn I don't know why they went through the effort all things considered. In my FC 98% of the people didn't know anything about Ivalice period outside of wanting the Viera race. It was just « who is this ? » « I don't know any of the bosses »

I'm thinking they got the worst piece of nostalgia to latch on too. FF fans in general doesn't care much about anything Ivalice related

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Return to Ivalice ending spoilers

I wonder if we'll see Gabranth, Fran, and that guy at Goug in Shadowbringers. It seems like they're setting up for them to appear again, but who knows.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've got the Seiryu EX fight down. It's just a matter of practicing the clear. It's a lot easier than Suzaku. None of the Four Lords have been too hard actually.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Just finished the 24man this time got a grp that managed to clear fine. I really like how this one ties into the actual story instead of being mostly their own thing like the other 2. Reminds me of how Coil was, hope they do more like this. There's especially a bunch of stuff that I assume will be relevant in 5.0's story which is cool as a small teaser of sorts.

Eldren

Oct 26, 2017
I loved Orbonne Monastery. Interesting and fun mechanics, great boss designs, minimal annoying trash. My only experience with Ivalice is FFXII which I love but the Tactics stuff was boring to me so the overall story was meh. Loved seeing a certain familiar face though, and the last scene has lots of potential set-up for Shadowbringers.

Are we spoiler-tagging Fran and viera? It was in the last trailer so it seems obvious but everybody else is spoiler tagging it. I was really pleased with how she looked. She was a few inches shorter than my max height Elezen not counting her ears, so if I can make a viera even a tiny bit taller than Fran that'd be perfect. Can't wait to mess around in the character creator.

On to the MSQ today so I can actually read what people are talking about in here.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
Is Ghimlyt Dark easy or did I get carried? That thing was nothing.

Cleared Orbonne earlier today and did a second run this afternoon, but we timed out at the end. Third boss still forces the teamwork more than the rest, but the second boss is my personal weak point. But with (more or less) three runs under my belt now, I'm getting the hang of it. Loved all three of the Ivalice raids, and I have the coins to prove it.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Ivalice stuff

I wonder if that character in green that was shown was supposed to be Meliodul and somehow got gender bent? Nice touch to include a generic white mage and black mage. Strange for an oracle and Samurai to appear. Also, some said Zalbag was in that line up, but it was most likely Beowulf.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be starting the Return to Ivalice content from scratch tonight.
Sounds like a fun time. First time doing raid content in forever... like maybe since Syrcus Tower/WoD...
Any pro-tips?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be starting the Return to Ivalice content from scratch tonight.
Sounds like a fun time. First time doing raid content in forever... like maybe since Syrcus Tower/WoD...
Any pro-tips?

Check the guides. I haven't done the third raid yet, but the first two are fairly mechanics-heavy and I would expect that to continue for Orbonne.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
MSQ Spoilers
Alright, Always Sunny conspiracy gif time - The Butterflies you see in the meeting cutscene? Ascians. Varis was just reading the script and wanted an excuse to tell us the truth about Garlemalds origin.

Tin foil hat off... He was probably telling the truth about his goals. I think it still lines up with the way his character has acted so far. I'd love the above theory to be true because otherwise he's an absolute idiot, but unfortunately I feel it won't be.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the 24 man raid but damn I don't know why they went through the effort all things considered. In my FC 98% of the people didn't know anything about Ivalice period outside of wanting the Viera race. It was just « who is this ? » « I don't know any of the bosses »

I'm thinking they got the worst piece of nostalgia to latch on too. FF fans in general doesn't care much about anything Ivalice related

It seems like you're only hanging out with FF fans who have awful taste. FFT is the best game in the series.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Ran the 24 man last night with 7 other FC members so we were all one Alliance. We were all blind so the run became "Alliance A is completely wiped out again" in chat lol. One person was a bit salty that our alliance didn't know the mechanics on the first day, but damn was it a blast yelling over mechanics in voice chat, especially when we got pulled into the black hole for the first time lol probably my favorite alliance raid in the entire game now. Almost ran the clock on it, but loved every second, wipes and all.

Snakeboi was super easy, even with all of us blind. At least, easier than Suzaku. Huh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I think it helps that this one is legitimately interesting as a storyline on its own due to the focus on characters, whereas the Crystal Tower raid was not nearly as interesting if you never played FFIII.

The less said about Void Ark, the better. I don't even remember the story for that raid.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
MSQ Spoilers
Alright, Always Sunny conspiracy gif time - The Butterflies you see in the meeting cutscene? Ascians. Varis was just reading the script and wanted an excuse to tell us the truth about Garlemalds origin.

Tin foil hat off... He was probably telling the truth about his goals. I think it still lines up with the way his character has acted so far. I'd love the above theory to be true because otherwise he's an absolute idiot, but unfortunately I feel it won't be.

It makes more sense now that I know
calamities cause Hydaelyn to heal itself by sacrificing other worlds. Idr when they said that but clearly I wasn't paying attention.
I'm still disappointed in Varis though. He sounded genuine so I think he's for real. He's dumb.
I wish they gave you the option to tell him he's clearly afraid of the Ascians. I've permakilled like three already. We got this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
calamities cause Hydaelyn to heal itself by sacrificing other worlds. Idr when they said that but clearly I wasn't paying attention.
I'm still disappointed in Varis though. He sounded genuine so I think he's for real. He's dumb.
I wish they gave you the option to tell him he's clearly afraid of the Ascians. I've permakilled like three already. We got this.

To be fair...

You CAN tell him that. One of the options is literally "We've killed Ascians before and we'll do it again. We can do this without you."

He's just too stubborn(?) to listen.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I honestly think he's obsessed with the idea of mankind choosing it's own fate, but sees the Ascian plot as a means to and end. As it stands, he views the races as too disparate to actually fight against what he views as the genuine oppressors—Hydaelyn and Zodiark. If he goes along with the Ascian plot, it'll reunite all of the races into one (somehow) and he can then use that to overthrow them.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
So I been on a hiatus from this game for about a year now and I'm thinking it's probably time to jump back on to catch up to the new content but I have some quick questions:

1-IIRC buying the PC version allows me to play for 30 days to play on my account on PS4 correct?
2-Which version (Store) of FFXIV on PC is recommended?
3-I don't know if I will actually play the PC version or not yet but I'm assuming the game will run just fine on my laptop based on this test correct?
m7HRqb6.jpg

Once I actually touch the PC version I will have to look up setting recommendations thou...

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
So I been on a hiatus from this game for about a year now and I'm thinking it's probably time to jump back on to catch up to the new content but I have some quick questions:

1-IIRC buying the PC version allows me to play for 30 days to play on my account on PS4 correct?
2-Which version (Store) of FFXIV on PC is recommended?
3-I don't know if I will actually play the PC version or not yet but I'm assuming the game will run just fine on my laptop based on this test correct?
m7HRqb6.jpg

Once I actually touch the PC version I will have to look up setting recommendations thou...
1. Buying another license on your account gives you 30 free days, yes. Even if you never use it on the bought platform.

2. It is recommended to get the non-Steam version as it goes on sale more often (including future expansions), but if it more convenient to pay for it using the Steam Wallet, then Steam is probably better.

3. Seems fine to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.