• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
finally finished orbonne
goddamn that was pretty nuts, very well made raid
1 question regarding the ivalice quest ending
is tartarus some old FF content from other FF series?
is that new npc that looked like a male stripper some other FF character?

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
finally finished orbonne

Tartarus has never really come up in any FF that I can think of except (google tells me) the name of a trash mob in FFXII, so that's something new. The Garlean general in that scene was named Gabranth, who was one of the main antagonists of FFXII. It wasn't clear who that male stripper was, but my feeling is it may be the FFXIV version of Balthier. (since Yoshi said Balthier wasn't in the raid and Matsuno was like "wait wait hold up speak for yourself.") I'm getting a feeling that the whole Tartarus thing just might be the hardcore raid for Shadowbringers.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if this is the end of it for everything Ivalice related, especially since they took a chunk of the eastern continent for the Ivalice region

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is the end of it for everything Ivalice related, especially since they took a chunk of the eastern continent for the Ivalice region
Kinda doubt it since Thancred mentioned Dalmasca during a MSQ cutscene. I bet we will see more but I do wonder how much it's going to be involved in Shadowbringers. What with Stormblood splitting into Doma and Ala Mhigo plots as it did. I do hope ShB is more focused, as HW was with Ishgard. Made the story flow better even with the WoD arc included.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda doubt it since Thancred mentioned Dalmasca during a MSQ cutscene. I bet we will see more but I do wonder how much it's going to be involved in Shadowbringers. What with Stormblood splitting into Doma and Ala Mhigo plots as it did. I do hope ShB is more focused, as HW was with Ishgard. Made the story flow better even with the WoD arc included.

Dalmasca actually got mentioned a COUPLE times in the main storyline in this patch, yeah.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
5d15fa928de6c3194b6dfde3e5ab7ceb271d9b1f_29.png

Uuuuuhhhhhhhhhh..... Holy fuck.

I need this.

EDIT: Also:
5d15fa928de6c3194b6dfde3e5ab7ceb271d9b1f_57.png

ABOUT FUCKING TIME SE!!!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The expansion will probably have a healthy bit of Ivalice/Dalmasca stuff. The possible rebellion of Dalmasca might be a side plot that they occasionally go back to whenever there's lulls in the Garlean side of the story. Though I imagine they've learned from Stormblood and won't try to split the story too much.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Isn't the Vierra forest in Ivalice anyway? We know for sure we're going there since they even showed it at the last fanfest.

Honestly, I'm not sure how far we're going this expansion but it looks we might not be kicking the Empire's ass just yet. I mean based on the map, Ivalice is even further than Doma from the Empire, so it's weird if we're going there but then somehow also going all the way north up there. I guess we can also go from the other side via Ala Mhigo but that's not really any closer. The MSQ also looks like it's gonna take a sharp turn in another direction too.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Also the first beast tribe they announced for Shadowbringers, Nu Mou are an Ivalice race. ALL IVALICE ALL THE TIME

Shevat

Oct 27, 2017
finally finished orbonne

The male stripper was a nameless member of the theater troupe, Company Thespian. Just before entering the raid all the cast members are back in the corner. When you talk to each of them they're basically all some variation of "I can't believe this has happened to Ramza. I know you will bring him back." Company Thespian, on the other hand, basically says "This is all Ramza's father's fault. He should have gone to the Emperor about all of this." I guess he decided to take everything they learned back to the empire.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
After sitting and thinking about it, I'm finding myself frustrated that we really have no idea what being the Warrior of Darkness actually means or what Shadowbringers is even going to be about. By the 2.5 and 3.5 quests we had a pretty good idea of what the upcoming expansion might entail, not counting the .5 additions. Maybe it's because we haven't gotten a 2nd trailer from the EU fan fest yet and they're holding onto more details for that.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
They said in the keynote that
the conflict with the Empire will end in Shadowbringers.
Did they? I don't remember that but
if it does, maybe it'll "end" in a weird way? Like Ascians exploding the whole capital weird way?

Oh well we'll see I guess.

In other news, Expert roulette is kinda weird now. Sometimes you get the 2 old dungeons, they drop crappy gear that don't even give good desynth skillups, but they're harder than the new dungeon which drop actual good gear that I need for alts. I think I won't bother with expert roulette for a while since I don't really care much for the mendacity anymore, I'll just spam the last dungeon until I have gear for all my alts.

Also I ran 3 alphascape today then remembered I could roll on everything after losing the one thing I rolled for in all 3. I guess I'm an idiot.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So the new EX is super easy.

Yeah. Got him down just now. We even had to use a Healer LB3 so there isn't much of a DPS check.

I still don't know how to dodge that grid pattern bullshit though. I can't tell when the attack actually goes off so that I can move to the next square.

Last edited:

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
The male stripper was a nameless member of the theater troupe, Company Thespian. Just before entering the raid all the cast members are back in the corner. When you talk to each of them they're basically all some variation of "I can't believe this has happened to Ramza. I know you will bring him back." Company Thespian, on the other hand, basically says "This is all Ramza's father's fault. He should have gone to the Emperor about all of this." I guess he decided to take everything they learned back to the empire.
oh so that's who the new npc is at the end of the ivalice raid ending cutscene, thanks

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Got him down just now. We even had to use a Healer LB3 so there isn't much of a DPS check.

I still don't know how to dodge that grid pattern bullshit though. I can't tell when the attack actually goes off so that I can move to the next square.
you go into area without marker, then wait for first to go off, then go into the area without aoe marker

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Everyone lied! Seiryu is pretty rough after the first phase. I spent two full lockouts in it and never saw under 45%.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone gotten a monastery clear in df? seems like it is impossible
Everyone lied! Seiryu is pretty rough after the first phase. I spent two full lockouts in it and never saw under 45%.
You are getting unlucky with your parties then, I saw 4% enrage first lockout with a pug

Cleared like 2 pulls into next lockout

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree that that's pretty bad luck. I got to 40% with one group last night with just one guy explaining the fight to us. We never beat it after two hours though. Then I tried with a clear party today and we got it in the second pull. Thank god for no stupid Simon says gimmick.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Last night my 2nd half practice pf group reached enrage in 1 lockout, then a clear in about 3 tries in the next lockout

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I did one full timer with one practice grp the first day, then cleared the 2nd day with an "enrage" party on the 2nd pull or so.

I'd say it's definitely fairly easy, however there's a couple of parts where you can just completely wipe near instantly if people fuck up. The 2times you have to split damage on 4people separately and the oni/wheels part during the 2nd phase. People not stacking up properly for the first mechanic and people with tether aoeing the grp/the rest not stacking properly/tanks fucking up their tethers can definitely just end the run there, but other than that it's fairly easy, most mechanics can't kill you in one hit.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone gotten a monastery clear in df? seems like it is impossible

I got it on my second go, but it is totally just playing russian roulette at this point.

From my experiences thus far (Boss name spoilers):

- Sniper Dude is more than easy enough. The sniping thing itself is a dumb and unintuitive mechanic, but there's nothing much to the fight otherwise.
- Agrias is mainly getting people to focus the adds and figuring out the shield gimmick. Worst part is when the MT's alliance gets booped to the shadow realm, and neither of the remaining tanks are awake enough to take over before she starts murdering people.
- Cid is, understandably, where the bulk of the prog comes, and the add phase has pretty much been the make-or-break-it point for the clear. Other than that, it's down to not killing your party with Crush Weapon and figuring out the tethers. It also helps to put the alliance markers in between their platforms, rather than in the middle of one.
- If the group gets to the final boss, they're probably going to end up clearing. Might want to tell people there's a checkpoint at the last phase, so hope is not totally lost if we wipe and are running dangerously up against the timer.

Still new and mechanically dense in comparison to casual content, of course, but too many people either want a hard carry, or give up too easily. Hopefully it'll be easier by next week, lol.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got it on my second go, but it is totally just playing russian roulette at this point.

From my experiences thus far (Boss name spoilers):

- Sniper Dude is more than easy enough. The sniping thing itself is a dumb and unintuitive mechanic, but there's nothing much to the fight otherwise.
- Agrias is mainly getting people to focus the adds and figuring out the shield gimmick. Worst part is when the MT's alliance gets booped to the shadow realm, and neither of the remaining tanks are awake enough to take over before she starts murdering people.
- Cid is, understandably, where the bulk of the prog comes, and the add phase has pretty much been the make-or-break-it point for the clear. Other than that, it's down to not killing your party with Crush Weapon and figuring out the tethers. It also helps to put the alliance markers in between their platforms, rather than in the middle of one.
- If the group gets to the final boss, they're probably going to end up clearing. Might want to tell people there's a checkpoint at the last phase, so hope is not totally lost if we wipe and are running dangerously up against the timer.

Still new and mechanically dense in comparison to casual content, of course, but too many people either want a hard carry, or give up too easily. Hopefully it'll be easier by next week, lol.
Yeah its always the third boss

Optinator

Oct 27, 2017
Had an awful day one experience with Orbonne with one person trolling their group (who does that?!), which wasn't so bad on the first two bosses, but was absolutely devastating on Cid. Today's run went a lot better, until we hit a roadblock at Cid once more. Group A just couldn't get their act together, but after the third wipe, B and C decided to babysit A and that's the attitude we had moving forward to clear the run. As a RDM, the amount of fun I have is proportionate to how awful the players are, so I had an absolute blast!

And then I cried, and cried some more, because all the FFT nostalgia hit me at once with that ending. I've not enjoyed an alliance raid this much since Syrcus Tower, and I can't wait to see more of Fran, Ashe, and Gabranth.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
So now that all the trials are out, how would you guys rate them by difficulty?
Mine would be from easiest to hardest would be: Lakshmi, susano, byakko, Shinryu, tsukuyomi, Suzaku and seiryu

Too bad I didn't get to play when o1s-o8s dropped or I would've ranked those as well

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man all the cutscenes leading directly into Heavensward were a rollercoaster of emotions. I knew I was in for something in ul'dah when it said make time to watch them. So much happens in quick succession that was building up throughout the 2.0 patches it made it worth the time I spent going through them.

I'm hyped as hell to go through Heavensward now, absolutely love this game.

i didn't know whether to laugh or cry when the achievement about the left arm popped up.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
So now that all the trials are out, how would you guys rate them by difficulty?
Mine would be from easiest to hardest would be: Lakshmi, susano, byakko, Shinryu, tsukuyomi, Suzaku and seiryu

Too bad I didn't get to play when o1s-o8s dropped or I would've ranked those as well
imo shinryu is the hardest, suzaku 2nd hardest
lakshmi easiest definitely

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Super fun ride. Cleared it with 3 wipes, all on Cid and I still don't understand half+ of the mechanics across all the bosses. Definitely my favorite Ivalice raid.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I think that new years event is the worst one yet... We want seasonal mounts, not some garbage hat

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's exactly the same as the last year's one.

That doesn't stop people saying its the worst one yet in Overwatch xD

Also: My iLvl is just enough to do Alphascape 1.0 Savage.

For gearing etc is my best bet to work towards Genesis Cap, do Alpha for the Omega (iLvl 400) rings/accessories and just gradually work my way up?

I've done the 4.5 MSQ and done Orbonne.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I continue to think about the MSQ and what the fuck is going on.

I can't touch on the Black Rose stuff too much other than I think it's going to be a catalyst that does start another calamity. Otherwise I have no idea.

But to focus on the Warrior of Darkness: I think we're missing a key focus point. The word "gate". We are constantly told to throw wide the gates, and I think the assumption that it means time travel. Admittedly, I can see it. But it's important to remember that a gate is a two-way thing. When you open a gate you're allowing yourself to leave but you're also letting things in.

So what if we're opening the gates to the other shards? Beyond that, why would we?

Well, the Warriors of Darkness wanted to accomplish one thing: Save their shard at the cost of our own. We found a solution in Minfillia, but that's likely only a one-time solution.

So for one reason or another, we're going to open the gates and travel to other shards so we can destroy them. Maybe the Black Rose is so damaging that Hydaelyn will die without being healed. And we know a Calamity kills another shard and that serves to heal Hydaelyn. So we need to usher in the destruction of those shards to save everything. Perhaps the idea is that by opening these gates, we can save the denizens of those shards by bringing them over to ours. Regardless, the other shards have to perish and we have to make it happen; Making us take on the mantle of Warrior of Darkness.

This makes me think that the zones will be in different shards rather than all within our own. We'll be collecting people to bring them back, to save them, and it'll culminate in us having the strength to destroy the Ascians and Empire entirely. To prove Solus wrong, there doesn't need to be a single master race, but rather the disparate races of the many worlds coming together is stronger. So far every expansion has done something new with the zones. Heavensward introduces flying, SB introduced swimming (which was meh) and two regions. I doubt Shadowbringers is just going to follow up with more regions, they'll probably do more with it.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
got seiryu dog on the 10th clear, just nice lol
traded the totems for the staff, i'm pretty much done until next patch i suppose
doubt i'll bother with blu

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't stop people saying its the worst one yet in Overwatch xD

Also: My iLvl is just enough to do Alphascape 1.0 Savage.

For gearing etc is my best bet to work towards Genesis Cap, do Alpha for the Omega (iLvl 400) rings/accessories and just gradually work my way up?

I've done the 4.5 MSQ and done Orbonne.
Yeah, get Genesis gear, Omega gear, Orbonne Monastery gear.

This tier is kinda like last tier FYI so the first 2 floors should be able to be beaten in your current gear, don't let it dissuade you from learning O10S after clearing O9S as well. Might take a bit as well so you'll keep getting gear as you're learning it since I imagine that fight can be a nightmare if you're doing this via PF.

Status
Not open for further replies.