• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I just did Orbonne and managed to get it on my first run. Maybe my feelings will change on subsequent runs but this is probably my favourite in the game. I usually don't enjoy the 24 mans that much but this one was a lot of fun.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I just did Orbonne and managed to get it on my first run. Maybe my feelings will change on subsequent runs but this is probably my favourite in the game. I usually don't enjoy the 24 mans that much but this one was a lot of fun.
What I enjoyed the most about the Monastery was that it didn't feel needlessly long. The first 3 raids are short and sweet nowadays, HW ones take forever and the first 2 Ivalice ones also had some unnecessary padding. This one felt just right.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad the Ivalice story line is over for now. It had so much nostalgia for me giving how much I adore Tactics and XII. I am so, so happy that it'll most likely be getting a much bigger focus in 5.x.

It's not a full fledge Ivalice game, but just being able to see all of the cameos again in the expansion is nice.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i skipped all the story for ivalice 2 raid
this time i read everything, i highly enjoyed it
well designed bosses and fights too

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I got a Shinryu dog, a scale, the orchestration roll and enough totems to buy one weapon. I think I'm finished with Shinryu Ex now.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Original Crystal Tower (LotA) is still my favorite but this one is a really close second for 24-man raids.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Excuse my stupid question, but can we get tomestone weapon upgrade items with the 3 raid tokens already or is that coming later?

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've only done Orbonne once, but the most trouble seemed to be at the boss with the giant swords and the Ozma-esque platform. There were several times where it seemed like we were doing as instructed only to suddenly all die and have to start over.
As for the story surrounding it, that probably would have been more impactful if I had any familiarity with FFT.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm torn, because I'm a weirdo who likes Tactics and 3 a Lot. I'd probably go for Crystal Tower overall, but Orbonne itself is the best of the bunch, imo.

really needs to start dropping the dang tank chest piece, though

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
I think I went a bit overboard with the lighting.
vtHUDgN.png

Munba

Oct 27, 2017
I think this raid is the best one so far, it was totally awesome and truly epic in the last battle (with THOSE tracks)... woah.

Mature

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking forward to the last tier of ivalice and oh boy it did not disappoint.

One of the things I noticed is that this time there was A LOT of voice acting during the raid. I absolutely loved every single one of the 4 main fights. Specially fighting Agrias....

Giving them voices make the game come to life. Absolutely loved it.

I'm guessing the rest of the Vieras that we gonna see are gonna be in that forest(artwork) they showed back in Vegas FF.

6.0 return to ivalice please?

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi all. I (Marzipan Cupcake) subbed again and I can't wait to get back in. Haven't played any of SB yet.

Are there any good Blue Mage impressions?

Optinator

Oct 27, 2017

I finally got the thing! And made a thing. Would have been sooner had I not gotten swept up in Doman Mahjong all night.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Just ended a perfect run in Orbonne with an alliance full of cool (and crazy) dudes from Moogle. It was a real pleasure, not a single wipe. Me likey.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Finishing the last Ivalice raid made me want to replay FFT: The War of the Lions. They really need to make a definitive edition of that game. Or at least port the iOS/Android version to consoles since that version received graphics updates.

Oct 26, 2017
The game just needs more voice acting in general. It's a bit jarring going from this to Guild Wars 2 and seeing all of its new content voiced.

There are weird omissions too like in Ghimlyt Dark where there's a bunch of voices during the dungeon but when you get to the end boss it's just lines at the bottom of the screen.

Seeing all the voiced stuff in the latest Ivalice raid just makes the absence of it stand out more in other areas of the game.

I don't expect every single line to be voiced but having all the main stuff voiced would go a long way towards increasing enjoyment since the voice acting is quite good when we do get it.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
it's probably just a case of scheduling or decisions made early in development.

there could be more voiced content in shadowbringers if they planned for it from the start, heavensward didn't have any voice acting in battles aside from nidhogg sophia zurvan thordan and SLOPPY plus the vault's bosses, and most of those already made voiced appearances prior.

I don't think everything needs to be voiced but as it is we get about every major scene voiced now. We've been getting more and more voicework each expansion too in comparison to the last, so I'd still expect Shadowbringers to have slightly more voice-acting. Like most of 3.5 had voice-acted cutscenes outside of a few where it's just someone telling you where you'll be running off to next, like right after the lengthy cutscenes before the dungeon. That doesn't need to be voiced. I also wouldn't be shocked if for example the Orbonne Monastery boss voice actors are recurring VAs, IE Kan-E-Senna's current VA also voices M'Naago. It's not much of an issue to get someone already in the studio to record some battle lines that'll be repeated.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Having just started the new Ivalice quests, I'm confused as to when this takes place in FFXII.
Fran alluded to Ashe being princess so I'm guessing years after XII?

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the 2.0 quests, they definitely dragged at times but the end was insane and awesome. I'm excited to get into Heavensward, I've heard such good things about it.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
End of ARR and pretty much whole of HW were incredible
SB is so lame, I can't help but think staff members being shifted to help ffxv fucked it up even though it's probably not the case
I heard SB2 writer is the infamous drk quest writer though (never played drk myself) so hopefully it's a return to form

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
SB was a slow burn... There were parts of it that were really good and parts that were... not so much. It's definitely a story arc that's carried more by its characters than anything else...

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
What's the general opinion for the English voice cast changed in HW? I knew about it coming into it but I just heard new Alphinaud and while I don't think the new actor is bad, I really liked ARR Alphinaud.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
What's the general opinion for the English voice cast changed in HW? I knew about it coming into it but I just heard new Alphinaud and while I don't think the new actor is bad, I really liked ARR Alphinaud.

The voice acting in ARR was terrible, but you become used to it after a while. The switch in HW is a bit jarring, but after a while, you begin to appreciate the new voices.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I think generally it's an improvement across the board. It definitely took a little bit to get used to, though the "new" voices have been those characters longer than the original ones at this point.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
The voice acting in ARR was terrible, but you become used to it after a while. The switch in HW is a bit jarring, but after a while, you begin to appreciate the new voices.

Oh, I definitely thought most of the acting in ARR was bad. Alphinaud was one of the few I liked. It's good to hear it's better going forward with the replacements.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit we beat the final boss of the raid with with like 3 guys left in the entire alliance. We kept getting blown up by some weird arrow mechanic. This entire raid was fucking amazing. So much fan service and fun boss battles.
Motherfucking Thunder God Cid.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
LLDeg1A

LLDeg1A.png

Am I finally free from the Pyros light grind?
As a RDM, these are not the best possible rolls, but not too bad, I guess?

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
End of ARR and pretty much whole of HW were incredible
SB is so lame, I can't help but think staff members being shifted to help ffxv fucked it up even though it's probably not the case
I heard SB2 writer is the infamous drk quest writer though (never played drk myself) so hopefully it's a return to form

You mean Natsuko Ishikawa.

She worked as one of the main Scenario Writers for SB with Banri Oda.

She handled the Azim Steppe and Doma.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
The best parts of SB. I don't think there was anything I really didn't enjoy in SB though.

Far East was my favorite part of SB, both in terms of locations and characters (Sadu the bae!).

Yeah, I do not understand the hate or the undermining towards SB when discussing FFXIV.

It is definitely better than ARR. And we had some great characters in the Far East.

On another note:

Next Live letter is going to take place at Paris Fanfest on Feb 3rd(as expected).

Ayumi Namae, Character Concept Artist will be joining this time.

Live Letter

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Went in the ex primal completely blind and cleared in a learning party within a lockout.

this has got to be the easiest primal to date, right? Even Susako took me to learn longer because of the merry-go-round

Van Dine

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Seiryu has about 6 moments where a single mess up wipes everyone, that's more than most Ex primals this xpac.

Its definitely easier than Shinryu, and maybe Tsukuyomi, but i'd say its harder than any other primal this xpac.

Mature

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people have cleared Snake ex in a single lockout going blind I believe (PF is overflowing with "farm" parties). The fight itself is a mix of everything done before. So nothing really "new". Still to me one of the most fun extremes from SB.

Already in 102 runs and seen dog twice (scales and music rains). Lost it with a 87 Vs 89 and 73 Vs 74... I won't stop I want my nine tails

Last edited:

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Seiryu has about 6 moments where a single mess up wipes everyone, that's more than most Ex primals this xpac.

Its definitely easier than Shinryu, and maybe Tsukuyomi, but i'd say its harder than any other primal this xpac.
Eh I'd say it's not that bad.

The first "wipe" moment happens in phase 1 and is really really easy to avoid since literally nothing else going on anyway, just grab tethers and point somewhere else. You'll learn this one in literally one wipe and never make the mistake again other than broken mouse or lag or whatever.

After that there's meteors but these are pretty easy with assigned positions and most people are used to it. They have a very lenient time to run to them too, like 10seconds or so? No fancy "get knockbacked into them" or whatever, just run to your assigned point if you don't have the aoe marker, and if you don't, it's not like the small platform in suzaku and the pushback, it's literally "stand anywhere that doesn't overlap aoes/on a meteor". You can have 2 people standing inbetween 2 meteors and still be fine. You can have people standing in the middle too.

I'd say the aoe split isn't necessarily a wipe if people mess up unless a lot of people mess up. If the healer fucks up you can let him die on his own, and even if 2 or 3 people die, you can recover due to very low enrage requirements. It's only a wipe when everyone just stack together so everyone dies instantly or if you don't have a RDM/SMN and both healers die. Tanks can easily survive with both healers down for a fair amount of time.

The "real" wipe part imo is the wheel/oni thing during phase 2, since this one is more confusing and more stuff happens(in/out and the boss is still running around smashing the tank).

I'd say overall it's easier than a bunch of other fights. You really only have to learn these specific "wipe moments", the rest can be avoided purely on reflex even if you don't know the fight or isn't deadly(big blue guy punches for example).

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Seiryu EX reminded me of O2S, where a single fuck up by anyone wiped the party. Fortunately, the mechanics are a lot simpler in Seiryu so it's harder to fuck up.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I probably wouldn't have cleared Seiryu for a while, if it wasn't for a Lucia carry last night. I'm really bad at Extreme and Savage content, no matter how easy everyone claims it is.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The only times a single mistake can wipe the party is if the tanks mess up tethers or buster swap, everything else is recoverable

It actually has less party wiping capabilities than every Ex aside from lakshmi.

There is also the fact that it has absolutely no new mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.