• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really an expert but I'll try and answer. As far as I know any class is fine. You can solo through most of the story stuff but you will have to group up for dungeons and some other things along the way. The game will find you parties for those and it'll be faster if you're a tank or healer class, but there's less pressure going DPS. But since you want to be a dark knight it's probably best to go ahead and get familiar with tanking so you'll probably want to go Gladiator or Marauder to start. I haven't really played any tank stuff aside from leveling up a Marauder way back when becoming a Dragoon required it, so I couldn't really say which would be more useful.
thank you for your input

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I am starting from scratch again and I want to know two things if possible please

A) Which class/job is best for soloing through the game?

I want to play by myself until a long ways

B) Which job/class is best before going the dark Knight route
I'd say Arcanist personally since you level a DPS and a healer at the same time since summoner and scholar both branch from it. So you can do story with the summoner and you can queue for dungeons etc as a Scholar to get under 5min queues pretty much all the time. Also you get to have some variety gameplay wise and learn more than one role

EDIT: But yeah like in the other post, you can play the role you want and you won't really have any problem progressing with any content.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Arcanist personally since you level a DPS and a healer at the same time since summoner and scholar both branch from it. So you can do story with the summoner and you can queue for dungeons etc as a Scholar to get under 5min queues pretty much all the time. Also you get to have some variety gameplay wise and learn more than one role

EDIT: But yeah like in the other post, you can play the role you want and you won't really have any problem progressing with any content.
thanks for the info

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
So... Went from level 61 for both Botanist and Miner to level 70 yesterday, using a little less than 50 leves and after doing a crapload of red scripts.

I still need roughly 3500 red scripts for the last two remaining books.

I don't have any end-game gatherer gear.

My only crafter 70 is the Weaver, who has some stuff thanks to a friend and yellow scripts.

I still need to level up every single other crafting class, from level 50 for the majority (Goldsmith is 67 and the Culinarian is 65 IIRC).

I want to be ready for Shadowbringer and make money seriously for the first time ever since the end of "A Realm Reborn" (and, mostly, I hate to be dependant of the market board), but I think I'm going insane.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So... Went from level 61 for both Botanist and Miner to level 70 yesterday, using a little less than 50 leves and after doing a crapload of red scripts.

I still need roughly 3500 red scripts for the last two remaining books.

I don't have any end-game gatherer gear.

My only crafter 70 is the Weaver, who has some stuff thanks to a friend and yellow scripts.

I still need to level up every single other crafting class, from level 50 for the majority (Goldsmith is 67 and the Culinarian is 65 IIRC).

I want to be ready for Shadowbringer and make money seriously for the first time ever since the end of "A Realm Reborn" (and, mostly, I hate to be dependant of the market board), but I think I'm going insane.
I've started to level my gathering and crafting jobs maybe 2 weeks ago, mining, botanist, culinarian, carpenter and weaver are all 50 to 53, and the others are around level 30. I thought I was gonna be able to get them all to 70 before the end of the expansion but looking at your post it looks like I'm gonna have to adjust my expectations haha

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I love the namazu!

Been doing their dailies daily since I unlocked them and when I get home I'm gonna be promoted to honored I believe. So I think I'm prob 2 weeks from the mount.

Legit wish they would replace potatoes as a player race.

Yeah the namazu are pretty cool. I kind of wish some of the beast tribes had some sort of temporary spell that let you look like them. Would be kind of fun going around as a Namazu or Moogle, even if it was just for a quest. I haven't finished most of the beast tribes though so don't know if something like that happens with some of the other ones.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Got my hair done in EUREKAAA!
tUmh9Mh.jpg

Take THAT Mateus MB!

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I've started to level my gathering and crafting jobs maybe 2 weeks ago, mining, botanist, culinarian, carpenter and weaver are all 50 to 53, and the others are around level 30. I thought I was gonna be able to get them all to 70 before the end of the expansion but looking at your post it looks like I'm gonna have to adjust my expectations haha
The expansion is in several months still, so unless you take a break, it's ample time. Especially if you got 4 of them to 50+ and everything else to 30 in only 2weeks. Gatherers speed up past 50 imo because you get collectibles(although fishing kinda sucks until 64 or whatever you start doing spearfishing at, their HW lvling is kinda meh since collectibles aren't that great with the RNG of fishing). Crafters are mostly tied to your leves, but once you get to Moogle and Namazu daily quests, along with GC daily deliveries and weekly custom deliveries, you can get them leveled for cheap over time as you wait for leves to build up.

Won't be an instant process obviously, but it's not THAT bad and you can do it pretty casually on the side of other activities once you have beast tribes stuff(Ixali too, to a lesser extent).

Algorum

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Is there a proper way to improve the shadows and anti aliasing? It's always been quite bad on my end even with all settings set to max.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The expansion is in several months still, so unless you take a break, it's ample time. Especially if you got 4 of them to 50+ and everything else to 30 in only 2weeks. Gatherers speed up past 50 imo because you get collectibles(although fishing kinda sucks until 64 or whatever you start doing spearfishing at, their HW lvling is kinda meh since collectibles aren't that great with the RNG of fishing). Crafters are mostly tied to your leves, but once you get to Moogle and Namazu daily quests, along with GC daily deliveries and weekly custom deliveries, you can get them leveled for cheap over time as you wait for leves to build up.

Won't be an instant process obviously, but it's not THAT bad and you can do it pretty casually on the side of other activities once you have beast tribes stuff(Ixali too, to a lesser extent).
Ah that's good to know, I just learned about the moogle beast tribe to level crafting from 50 to 60, I'm just now starting the whole chain of quests to unlock it, it's quite long lol. But yeah that's what I was wondering, basically to level the gatherers I no longer need to use leves? I only spam the collectibles turn in basically(the thing where you get red scripts in exchange right?)?

Is there a proper way to improve the shadows and anti aliasing? It's always been quite bad on my end even with all settings set to max.
Sadly the game always struggled with aliasing, the only solution I found for it is to basically force a higher resolution.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Ah that's good to know, I just learned about the moogle beast tribe to level crafting from 50 to 60, I'm just now starting the whole chain of quests to unlock it, it's quite long lol. But yeah that's what I was wondering, basically to level the gatherers I no longer need to use leves? I only spam the collectibles turn in basically(the thing where you get red scripts in exchange right?)?

Sadly the game always struggled with aliasing, the only solution I found for it is to basically force a higher resolution.
Yes for Botanist/Mining, basically once you unlock collectibles and can get enough rating for them(need to upgrade gear a bit), you just do these, they're about the same xp/hour as leves, but they don't cost leves AND they give scrips, which let you buy all the folklore books to unlock everything, including the achievements for gathering x unique items, which reward good lvl 60 and 70 main hand tools(the 70 one is basically the 2nd best tool in the current expansion, only behind the crafted one but only after you meld that).

For fishing, it's harder to use collectibles only since they can't target a specific fish, and even when you do you can't really control the rating you'll get short of having patience up, which works ok but you don't get precision hookset until 57 so some fishes won't be available until then. Once you reach spearfishing at... 63? it becomes just as easy, if not easier than the other 2 to level however, since spearfishing functions like the others making it easier to get collectibles AND you get a ton of xp just fishing random crap because some nodes have 100% HQ so you get that sweet HQ xp on every hit. Fishing can use leves easily however and they're often very cheap so you don't even have to actually fish, fishing leves work like crafting, you just turn in specific fishes.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes for Botanist/Mining, basically once you unlock collectibles and can get enough rating for them(need to upgrade gear a bit), you just do these, they're about the same xp/hour as leves, but they don't cost leves AND they give scrips, which let you buy all the folklore books to unlock everything, including the achievements for gathering x unique items, which reward good lvl 60 and 70 main hand tools(the 70 one is basically the 2nd best tool in the current expansion, only behind the crafted one but only after you meld that).

For fishing, it's harder to use collectibles only since they can't target a specific fish, and even when you do you can't really control the rating you'll get short of having patience up, which works ok but you don't get precision hookset until 57 so some fishes won't be available until then. Once you reach spearfishing at... 63? it becomes just as easy, if not easier than the other 2 to level however, since spearfishing functions like the others making it easier to get collectibles AND you get a ton of xp just fishing random crap because some nodes have 100% HQ so you get that sweet HQ xp on every hit. Fishing can use leves easily however and they're often very cheap so you don't even have to actually fish, fishing leves work like crafting, you just turn in specific fishes.
I just did a few rounds of gathering collectibles and you're right, almost the same exp with pretty much 0 effort, pretty awesome. Also I think fishing is gonna take the backseat for a long time since from what I've experienced... They're only useful for culinarian? And in general since fishes are not really expensive I can just buy them for the time being. I really need to look at these folklore books, it always looks like there's something new I don't know about crafting and gathering haha. Anyway thanks a lot for your help, really appreciated

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I just did a few rounds of gathering collectibles and you're right, almost the same exp with pretty much 0 effort, pretty awesome. Also I think fishing is gonna take the backseat for a long time since from what I've experienced... They're only useful for culinarian? And in general since fishes are not really expensive I can just buy them for the time being. I really need to look at these folklore books, it always looks like there's something new I don't know about crafting and gathering haha. Anyway thanks a lot for your help, really appreciated
Oh yeah fishing is more or less a minigame on the side, even for CUL it's not that useful since you can either sidestep the foods that use fish, or buy NQs which generally are fairly cheap since most of them are also available as ventures(although you technically need fishing leveled to have a high lvl fishing retainer but still).

I actually "finished" fishing just earlier today. Got the "I caught that VI" final achievement for the cool glowy fishing rod, fished 782 of the 791 fishes in the game, few that are left are rare/dumb. I did make a bit of money doing it, but not that much counting the bait I had to buy to get there. A few fishes sell for 500-800k though due to aquariums maniacs or desynthing them into swimwear/pets, but they're both annoying to fish and have very little demand so they can sit for weeks before selling(good thing in this game they don't seem to deteriorate ^^). It's almost entirely a log completion job basically.

At the start of the expansion, you could get a lot of sands from reducible collectibles fishes, and the sands went into crafting pretty much anything high lvl including potions for raiders so it was very good money, and then they forgot about fishing and didn't add new fishes that gave the higher tier of sands as the expansion went, so it basically died.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yeah I typically don't go for the short hairstyles, but I really like the Eureka hairstyle. I'm also glad they added a long hairstyle with the Alma one from The Orbonne Monastery, though I wish there was a way to customize the color of the bow (unless I missed the option somewhere). Kind of been changing my glamours around so it matches lol. Glamour is the true endgame after all.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
*Screams*

I finally broke down and did gathering 35-50 on 2 alts. 35-45 on another. And 20-45 on my last alt.

I just have the two 45-50 left to do (Waiting on last alt to get to level46. He's a WAR and at 41 so it won't take long) and then I can get them up to 50. Then knock out level51 via the gathering quests and then I can start just doing the daily turn ins and begin leveling up their retainers.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
*Screams*

I finally broke down and did gathering 35-50 on 2 alts. 35-45 on another. And 20-45 on my last alt.

I just have the two 45-50 left to do (Waiting on last alt to get to level46. He's a WAR and at 41 so it won't take long) and then I can get them up to 50. Then knock out level51 via the gathering quests and then I can start just doing the daily turn ins and begin leveling up their retainers.
... Alts? Plural? Different characters on the same account? Leveled-up gatherers several times, whereas a single one is well enough?

Why? Why did you do yourself this? Are you alright mate? Do you want to talk?
I... guess that if you want to get stuff from retainers it is a viable option, but still... Duuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
... Alts? Plural? Different characters on the same account? Leveled-up gatherers several times, whereas a single one is well enough?

Why? Why did you do yourself this? Are you alright mate? Do you want to talk?
I... guess that if you want to get stuff from retainers it is a viable option, but still... Duuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Alphascape Savage was too easy.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hello FF XIV ERA!
I have a question, and this seems to be the best place to ask.

I started playing XIV with the Twitch Prime offer, so from what I understand I got the starter edition for free and can play during one month with no subscription.

So, I have been really enjoying the game! It's pretty fun, and I'm thinking about continuing after the trial time finishes. So my questions are:

- Do I have to buy the expansions to keep playing? By this I mean, is it worth to play only the "A Realm Reborn" version, and can I just start paying the subscription without buying the expansions and continue playing?

-Do I need to buy every subscription, or buying the last expansion comes with everything? Like if I buy Shadowbringers will it come with Heavensward and Stormblood?

I guess that is all for now, thanks in advance!

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Hello FF XIV ERA!

I started playing XIV with the Twitch Prime offer, so from what I understand I got the starter edition for free and can play during one month with no subscription.

So, I have been really enjoying the game! It's pretty fun, and I'm thinking about continuing after the trial time finishes. So my questions are:

- Do I have to buy the expansions to keep playing? By this I mean, is it worth to play only the "A Realm Reborn" version, and can I just start paying the subscription without buying the expansions and continue playing?

-Do I need to buy every subscription, or buying the last expansion comes with everything? Like if I buy Shadowbringers will it come with Heavensward and Stormblood?

You will need to purchase Stormblood (Which comes with Heavensward) when you complete the 2.55 Main Storyline Quest or if you want to continue accuring EXP past level50.

If you pre-order shadowbringers YOU DO NOT GET ACCESS TO HEAVENSWARD OR STORMBLOOD UNTIL THE SHADOWBRINGERS PRE-RELEASE PERIOD IN LATE JUNE

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Hello FF XIV ERA!

Yes and yes with one caveat to the second. someone can correct me if i'm wrong but I believe you wont get access to heavensward and stormblood if you preorder shadow bringers right now, you have to wait for release. so, say like, in a month if you cap out the content and you want to play Heavensward you would have to buy stormblood.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Worth noting, the starter edition comes with A LOT of quests to do, so depending on how casual you are, this can take a while. Just the MSQ(main story) and the post ARR MSQ would take around 50hours if you're not skipping cutscenes. If you start leveling crafters and/or gatherers, that'd expand that a ton. So you can put off buying the expansions for a while. Stormblood is also on sale fairly often. On the actual 50 content though, very few people do it anymore other than unsynced(at lvl 70 basically), so other than side content(hildibrand, post moogle quests, relic and such) and leveling, you wouldn't have much to do once you hit 50 without the expansions.

Also you can get 15days free sub for leveling a character to 30 on a preferred server. If you made your char on a preferred server already(which are selected by default when you make a new account I believe, although not when they're population locked) then you'll get that automatically but otherwise it can be nice doing it on the side. Granted, this can be done at any time, so you could "save" it for later.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the answers!

So if I'm understanding correctly, if I wait untill ShadowBringers comes out, I can go ahead playing casually on the starter edition (maybe trying the different classes, jobs and such), and then when it releases, I can buy it and get every expansion that released before it, correct?

And if I decide I want to play more of the main story, post lvl 50, before Shadowbringer comes out, I must buy Stormblood since the pre-order doesn't work that way.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Yep. On the brigtht side you'll have two opportunities to jump jobs without a penalty to leveling progress.

Level50 w/ Stormblood
Samurai - Melee DPS
Red Mage - Magic Ranged DPS

Level60 w/ Shadowbringers
Gunbreaker - Tank
??? - ??? (Possibly a Healer of some sort)

Lauren

Feb 16, 2018
Cardiff
Thank you for the answers!

So if I'm understanding correctly, if I wait untill ShadowBringers comes out, I can go ahead playing casually on the starter edition (maybe trying the different classes, jobs and such), and then when it releases, I can buy it and get every expansion that released before it, correct?

And if I decide I want to play more of the main story, post lvl 50, before Shadowbringer comes out, I must buy Stormblood since the pre-order doesn't work that way.
  • You can play casually with the starter edition and the free 30 days it comes with -y ou have to pay sub after 30 days.
  • Shadowbringers will give you access to Heavensward and Stormblood content when early access begins if you have a EA key. Shadowbringers will give you Heavensward and Stormblood included with Shadowbringers.
  • It's probably better to play as much of the starter edition as possible (level multiple classes, clear out side quests etc) as it'll keep you busy until ShB launch. There is so much content in 2.0, it's crazy. Most people skip it to get to Heavensward but there's some good stuff in there to check out!
  • If you really don't want to wait to continue the story, you'll have to pick up a copy of Stormblood. It's probably on sale now or soon as the expansion is announced and people will want to clear out their copies.
  • I'd recommend picking a Healer or Tank to start off with, as your queues are super quick but choose whatever you like!

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
  • You can play casually with the starter edition and the free 30 days it comes with -y ou have to pay sub after 30 days.
  • Shadowbringers will give you access to Heavensward and Stormblood content when early access begins if you have a EA key. Shadowbringers will give you Heavensward and Stormblood included with Shadowbringers.
  • It's probably better to play as much of the starter edition as possible (level multiple classes, clear out side quests etc) as it'll keep you busy until ShB launch. There is so much content in 2.0, it's crazy. Most people skip it to get to Heavensward but there's some good stuff in there to check out!
  • If you really don't want to wait to continue the story, you'll have to pick up a copy of Stormblood. It's probably on sale now or soon as the expansion is announced and people will want to clear out their copies.
  • I'd recommend picking a Healer or Tank to start off with, as your queues are super quick but choose whatever you like!

Yeah, so far I have been playing and am already lvl 26 with a gladiator! I thought it was a DPS kind of class like a warrior, the basic, but on my first dungeon I found out it's a tank haha

I'll probably take my time then exploring the different classes and such then. So far so good.

Also, I just now found out about the way the devs implemented the failure from the first version of FF XIV into the story of this game, that stuff is epic as hell! Had no idea that the cutscene I saw at the beggining was the literal end of the 1st version of XIV.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, so far I have been playing and am already lvl 26 with a gladiator! I thought it was a DPS kind of class like a warrior, the basic, but on my first dungeon I found out it's a tank haha

I'll probably take my time then exploring the different classes and such then. So far so good.

Also, I just now found out about the way the devs implemented the failure from the first version of FF XIV into the story of this game, that stuff is epic as hell! Had no idea that the cutscene I saw at the beggining was the literal end of the 1st version of XIV.
Funny enough, the Warrior job is also a tank. Tanks are good for fast queues in dungeons though, so if you don't mind having to actually tank, they're great first classes since there's A LOT of dungeons in the story, and if you play DPS you'll end up waiting a lot for queues. I think last time I counted there were 47dungeons/trials to finish all the way to the Stormblood MSQ(not the post SB MSQ, that add like half a dozen).

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
You will need to purchase Stormblood (Which comes with Heavensward) when you complete the 2.55 Main Storyline Quest or if you want to continue accuring EXP past level50.

If you pre-order shadowbringers YOU DO NOT GET ACCESS TO HEAVENSWARD OR STORMBLOOD UNTIL THE SHADOWBRINGERS PRE-RELEASE PERIOD IN LATE JUNE
This is really a bummer... I feel like Twitch Prime Offer into Shadowbringers pre-order would have been the perfect combo to make it really easy for people to stay.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
This is really a bummer... I feel like Twitch Prime Offer into Shadowbringers pre-order would have been the perfect combo to make it really easy for people to stay.
There's more than enough content to keep you engaged until then. Seriously!

It does seem silly to hold the non-Shadowbringer races hostage like that, though.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I finished heavensward, crazy journey. I actually cared about the characters. Some of the major plots points where quite engaging.

I think the real highlight was the music though, some really great tunes in there.

I think if you repurposed some of the mmo stuff and cut down on the grind this game would be a great solo experience. I didn't like having so many duty finder stuff holding up my progress and playing solo getting to 60 was a real slog. With older content they really should make leveling a non issue. You get to the last trail and it's super anti climatic because everyone is overpowered so I think you shouldn't have to work so hard to reach it.

Either way I had a great time, took me almost whole weak just to finish the MSQ. was very fortunate to have a week off as I bought havensward a year ago and didn't even touch it.

Can't wait to start storm blood.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I finished heavensward, crazy journey. I actually cared about the characters. Some of the major plots points where quite engaging.

I think the real highlight was the music though, some really great tunes in there.

I think if you repurposed some of the mmo stuff and cut down on the grind this game would be a great solo experience. I didn't like having so many duty finder stuff holding up my progress and playing solo getting to 60 was a real slog. With older content they really should make leveling a non issue. You get to the last trail and it's super anti climatic because everyone is overpowered so I think you shouldn't have to work so hard to reach it.

Either way I had a great time, took me almost whole weak just to finish the MSQ. was very fortunate to have a week off as I bought havensward a year ago and didn't even touch it.

Gotta get through that 3.x content before you can start Stormblood! :D

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Is it as long as 2.xx?
You haven't finished Heavensward until you finish the post 3.0 MSQ content. There's some pretty heavy stuff that happens... and some meh stuff that in hindsight is also pretty important.

I don't remember the 3.x MSQ being too long. Just going off the wiki, the 3.x MSQ has 44 quests to 2.x's 100.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
HW and SB stories both really ended with X.3 updates. X.4 and X.5 were used as prologue to the next expansions.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
How did y'all settle on the name for your character? I've been having a heckuva time deciding. The name on my original character is on an old, deleted account (on Ultros, unfortunately) so the name I was gonna go with is taken.

So I've, uh, been trying to construct a perfect in-lore Roegadyn name from their dictionary. But I want to make a Hellguard which ruins literally everything about this approach. It is hard.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
How did y'all settle on the name for your character? I've been having a heckuva time deciding. The name on my original character is on an old, deleted account (on Ultros, unfortunately) so the name I was gonna go with is taken.

So I've, uh, been trying to construct a perfect in-lore Roegadyn name from their dictionary. But I want to make a Hellguard which ruins literally everything about this approach. It is hard.

On my first character I went with the same name I have here since it's what I use for everything. It looked really weird and I hated it so I scrapped that character and started over.

For my second attempt I just pressed random until a name I liked came up. This was back when I was a Lalafell though, I didn't bother changing it when I switched to a Roe so at this point I might have what is technically a Lalafell name for a Roegadyn.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
anyone know where I can get a right eye, eyepatch?

started the game from the beginning again and made my dude look like he was blind on his right eye with a scar

so I wonder if I can get a low level eyepatch anywhere in Ul'dah? maybe via a quest or me finding a shop or something that sells an eyepatch for the right eye

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.