• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ptolemaios
How did y'all settle on the name for your character? I've been having a heckuva time deciding. The name on my original character is on an old, deleted account (on Ultros, unfortunately) so the name I was gonna go with is taken.

So I've, uh, been trying to construct a perfect in-lore Roegadyn name from their dictionary. But I want to make a Hellguard which ruins literally everything about this approach. It is hard.
I just picked a cool Latin word that started with the first letter of my IRL name. My last name i just cut off the "Bi" part in bizarro, and went with Zarro cuz it looked decent.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
How did y'all settle on the name for your character? I've been having a heckuva time deciding. The name on my original character is on an old, deleted account (on Ultros, unfortunately) so the name I was gonna go with is taken.

So I've, uh, been trying to construct a perfect in-lore Roegadyn name from their dictionary. But I want to make a Hellguard which ruins literally everything about this approach. It is hard.

"Miyara" was the name of my FFXI character. I used the random name generator in XI to get something, can't remember what it was, but I changed a few letters to end up up with "Miyara"

When XIV came round and I needed a last name, i went with "Dantes" from the Count of Monte Crist. It seemed obscure enough to where I wouldn't see it on every other character in the game. I've only encountered very few other's with that last name.

Omnicent

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I'm ready for Hydatos this week.

ffxiv_02102019_145752_810.png

Not bad considering I didn't start light farming till this past weekend.
I just hope we don't need to have 100% logos log to get armor this time and if we do that offensive logos are easier to get.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get something like Eureka for the Shadowbringers relic.
I'm not sure if it'll be tied to relic but they've already confirmed a follow up to eureka in shadowbringers.

Q16: Are there any types of content that you can talk about today that are not a dungeon or a raid that will return in Shadowbringers, like a new Deep Dungeon, Eureka, or will Blitzball be implemented?

A16: The existing content and an updated version of that, we do have plans for a Deep Dungeon and Exploration content similar to Eureka, and we do continuously think of our next ideas and plans. Especially with Eureka we designed it so that it's "time to win" [Editor's Note: Similar to the term "pay2win" except spending time instead of money], so if you're taking your time to play through it; it's more meant for spending that time in the content and we continuously received feedback from around the world, and we do continue to consider that. We do want to take on the challenge for more Eureka-like content in the future, so whenever we get to a position where we can announce it, we hope that players are very surprised and look forward to that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/wiki/press_conf_eu_2019

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I too feel they can get exploration content done right. After Diadem and so many variations of Eureka, I feel they've got an idea of what doesn't work for people.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get something like Eureka for the Shadowbringers relic.
After thinking about it a little more, I think I agree? At least right now when there's people playing I like doing Eureka more than just grinding poetics in dungeons and roulettes for materials. However it remains to be seen how they're going to adapt Eureka when there's considerably less people doing it next patch, and if it would even be possible to get a full relic weapon without an absurd amount of time soloing everything.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Eureka has been pretty softballed from Anemos to Pyros to the point that my wife was able to catch up from Pagos in a week.

The fact that Hydratos is only going to be 10 levels and anyone with an iota of preparedness is going to be going in with reflect out the wazoo means the first capped players will happen within an hour. (And honestly I feel like I'm being pretty generous with that estimate).

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do want more Eureka-style content, I'd just rather it not have the Relic tied to it. Eureka just felt too sectioned off for my tastes, and not nearly as easy to just pick up and do a little bit of progress here and there as the Anima and Relic were.

anyone know where I can get a right eye, eyepatch?

started the game from the beginning again and made my dude look like he was blind on his right eye with a scar

so I wonder if I can get a low level eyepatch anywhere in Ul'dah? maybe via a quest or me finding a shop or something that sells an eyepatch for the right eye

This one comes to mind. It's reasonably cheap on my server, but that might not be the case on yours.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
So, once the servers are back up I'll be able to get my Pyros weapon (Either after killing Pen OR getting 18 crystals so I can buy here flame things if that becomes possible) after just 1 week of running Pyros. Sure, I'll still need to get light once I unlock that and I still NEED more logos if I'm to get my gear but yeah ... that was 1 week of work before the likely nerfs to come. Ad the Bunny fate is a damn gold mine, even getting bronze nets you 10K.
This is legit the closest I've bothered to getting a completed relic seeing as I can't be bothered to actively grind gd poetics ...

And yet I still see tons of people who gave up week 1 hoping that they don't match the relic with Eureka in 5.0. Give it a chance people! It's legit pretty damn fun and if am to bet they're gonna lock some nasty good stuff behind that DNG in the new zone to get people to do it.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Its a level50 two star recipe. Either you can find it on the MB for sale or get any level70 crafter to make it for you (With the provided mats).

Should be plenty cheap otherwise.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Its a level50 two star recipe. Either you can find it on the MB for sale or get any level70 crafter to make it for you (With the provided mats).

Should be plenty cheap otherwise.
MB?

lol sorry I am not well versed in the acronyms for this game

Edit: Looked it up, it is a market board

thank you I will try to find it post the maintenance... I haven't played this game in years (pre expansions) and so I might as well be a noob again

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The entrance requirements for Baldesion arsenal seem crazy. It seems like the nodes you use to get in only come up in a certain kind of weather. Each node can only be accessed by one player at a time so you can't guarantee you get in with other party members (?). And for some of the nodes you need a special item that can only be acquired through "various means."

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
The entrance requirements for Baldesion arsenal seem crazy. It seems like the nodes you use to get in only come up in a certain kind of weather. Each node can only be accessed by one player at a time so you can't guarantee you get in with other party members (?). And for some of the nodes you need a special item that can only be acquired through "various means."

I'm just glad that the gear isn't locked behind it.

I have 16 more to go until I have all 50 in Pyros ... and the only reason that is is because I can't seem to get gold chest and refuse bow down to the MB pricing for the ones I need.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I enjoyed Pyros for the most part. The NM spawn rate is pretty good and the bunny fates give you something to do while waiting for NM's (made some decent Gil selling stuff from the chests). Logos are a neat concept with being able to use abilities outside your class though admittedly not something I used much. Only thing I didn't care for was the whole RNG aspect of gathering light to roll for the weapon substats. Wound up just giving up on it after I didn't get any improved substats after a few rolls, and felt like I was just wasting time at that point.

But overall, Pyros felt like much less of a slog to get through compared to Pagos. I'm actually kind of looking forward to Hydratos now. Love or hate Eureka, I still really like the idea of having large scale content 100+ people can enter at the same time. Just feels very alive and active in there. I don't mind them trying something new with 5.0, but I hope we at least get something similar in terms of doing content with a full instance of 100+ players.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Hope everyone stocked up on tactical logograms, you're gonna need Swift L and Wisdom of the Breathtaker to get anywhere near that free for all portal.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't think there's anything YoshiP can do to make me willingly fight AV, lol. I already did my time.
I'll be sure to watch fights for it, though. I'm having flashbacks to Diadem EMs.

MB?

lol sorry I am not well versed in the acronyms for this game

Edit: Looked it up, it is a market board

thank you I will try to find it post the maintenance... I haven't played this game in years (pre expansions) and so I might as well be a noob again

It's a bit of an older item, but there should be plenty on there. If not, probably wouldn't be hard to find someone willing to make it for you.
Would be nice if we could /visor eyepatches to the other eye, but that's been requested since like the beginning, so I wouldn't count on it.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I have never been able to get into Eureka or anything resembling hunts. To me it ends up being a zergfest where the main skill is being able to join a party fast enough to get full credit for the kill, since there are literally hundreds of people unloading on it at once. Eureka has amazing looking zones, I wish I could explore them at my liesure without having to worry about when the next notorious spawns. I hope the next relic quest goes for an approach that isn't so damn monotonous. Make us progress savage and ultimate to unlock the final forms or something. Or even books like the animus books but with EX and raid trials. And I guess low level dungeons to help newbies.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit of an older item, but there should be plenty on there. If not, probably wouldn't be hard to find someone willing to make it for you.
Would be nice if we could /visor eyepatches to the other eye, but that's been requested since like the beginning, so I wouldn't count on it.
well I am just glad a good looking eyepatch is for the right eye lol (seeing as the scar and the "blind eye" was for my chracter's right eye)

so many were for the left eye when I was searching

I wouldn't even find this eyepatch without you guys

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Baldesion arsenal gives fucking ozma mount?
Shieeeeeeeet that thing looks great
Seems like it's best to stack up on revival logos actions

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Man, I cant believe I actually managed to catch up (well was forced to stop at lvl 48 due to maint....) in like about a weeks worth of time.

From hating Eureka day one with its problems starting out and server issues, to now actually loving and being addicted to it, I am kinda shocked lol.

Went in for the story at first, but now I go forward for story, gear and big gil opportunities. The community has been very nice and social as well in there, which helps since most of my peeps have taken a break from the game and its been kinda lonely for me.

I do wonder how long its gonna take to take down AV.....seems like the new Logos action "Sacrifice" and Healer LB3 are the only way to Ress in that dungeon.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Eureka, I just started getting into it, and did most of my challenge log except for 2 challenges before the maintenance and got to level 11. But I'm not too sure about what I'm supposed to do, do I just do my challenge log then quit until the reset to do it again and again? Or is there a good way to level or things to do other than that? I feel pretty lost lmao

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Speaking of Eureka, I just started getting into it, and did most of my challenge log except for 2 challenges before the maintenance and got to level 11. But I'm not too sure about what I'm supposed to do, do I just do my challenge log then quit until the reset to do it again and again? Or is there a good way to level or things to do other than that? I feel pretty lost lmao

Starting on Anemos is always the rough part it seems, since its not clear at first how you are supposed to do things and maybe a bit overwhelming. Yeah keep on with Challenge Logs, afterwards people usually ask for a invite to a party doing NM (Notorious Monsters/FATE's) and roam all over and get exp from that, its harder on new players cause its not guaranteed that high level players will wait around and taxi you on their dual mounts, most NM are in the higher level areas that will almost guarantee you get killed from normal mobs just by getting aggro'ed for being low level.

Thankfully its reset day so you can get another big boost on your levels with the Challenge logs again before joining the NM grind trains. Plus side, I find Eureka is the quickest place to grind Genesis which you earn for each NM you participate in.

EDIT: also, don't be shy in asking for a ress if you get KO'ed, just type it out in /shout with <pos> and someone should respond.

Last edited:

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Need to see them in motion.
Really wishing I had leveled Ast though. Figured that seeing how I didn't like the relic gear for healers I should just skip it and double down on the 2 70 tanks I have.
Here's a Reddit post with gifs of all the weapons.

Not really a big fan of this set of relic weapons. The swirly light ribbon effect just doesn't do it for me, especially since they got rid of SCH's butterfly.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Here's a Reddit post with gifs of all the weapons.

Not really a big fan of this set of relic weapons. The swirly light ribbon effect just doesn't do it for me, especially since they got rid of SCH's butterfly.
I feel better about these seeing them in motion.

Still, they feel like the base for a fuller weapon.
But yeah, War/ Pld/ Ast is all I needed with a side of Sch. I never liked the book wings lol.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Also take note: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/b2bf98053941a7b07e8d80ee41216f5aef769c60

I recommend giving the whole thing a read but a good gist of it is this:

Until now, we have operated under the philosophy that "this is an MMORPG and frequent in-game intervention by SQUARE ENIX would inhibit player experience." Under this philosophy in mind, GMs have intervened only in cases of racial or sexual discrimination or other severe cases.
GMs would not actively take action against other types of behavior that were deemed to be "annoying but not crossing the line from an objective eye." Instead encouraging the involved players to resolve the situation through communication, adding the players to the blacklist or other peaceful methods.

However, times have changed and although FINAL FANTASY is an MMORPG, it is now our belief that it is better for the community as a whole for us to "intervene in situations where a player is subjected to the abusive behavior of another player," rather than "worrying about inhibiting communication between players."

They call out a few more things in their FAQ. Expect a lot salt from The Balance memers.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the Ozma mount is tied to the achievement for clearing the arsenal once, so no need to worry about drop chances. Funny that there's also achievements for clearing the arsenal 5 and 10 times, I think, both without rewards.

Lauren

Feb 16, 2018
Cardiff
Also take note: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/b2bf98053941a7b07e8d80ee41216f5aef769c60

I recommend giving the whole thing a read but a good gist of it is this:

They call out a few more things in their FAQ. Expect a lot salt from The Balance members.

I'm interested in how they approach reporting someone for kicking someone for doing bare minimum.

After 5 years of FFXIV, the last few months I've started to kick lazy players out of my parties. If people can't be arsed to half-focus for 15 minutes of a dungeon, then I can't be arsed to carry them through a 30 minute one.

Also harassment is objective. One person's gentle request for someone to do X is another players "ELITIST!!! ELITIST BULLY!"

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I'm interested in how they approach reporting someone for kicking someone for doing bare minimum.

After 5 years of FFXIV, the last few months I've started to kick lazy players out of my parties. If people can't be arsed to half-focus for 15 minutes of a dungeon, then I can't be arsed to carry them through a 30 minute one.

Also harassment is objective. One person's gentle request for someone to do X is another players "ELITIST!!! ELITIST BULLY!"
It's all up to the GMs. We'll see how it goes. I wonder how many trolls will be going "AUTO ATTACKING ONLY IS MY WAY OF PLAYING THE GAME, DON'T BULLY OR REPORT" kind of shit. And technically, under the new rules, what can you say really? All you can do is kick them but if they're the tank, you're basically out of luck and have to requeue in most cases. If a mentor tries to explain the fight to someone but they take it bad because they want to do everything blind on their own, can the mentor be reported?

Hopefully the GMs will do the right thing most of the time, but considering they're poorly paid and have little to no formation and are just doing this as a side/part time job, can't really expect them to do such a great job.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wow you could have called this a soul calibur x ffxiv and I would have been none the wiser.

What is eureka anyway?

I've only finish the msq of havensword.

Eureka is four end game areas with its own separate levelling progression and mechanics. It's generally a lot harsher than the normal game with xp loss and a system where you have to account for enemy elemental weaknesses. It's mainly used for the relic weapons, which are meant to be a slightly more casual way of getting a high end weapon.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
That updated list of new rules is hilariously vague and basically tells me "interact with people I'm playing with as little as possible." Thankfully the game already encourages that anyway.

I love "Expressions that unilaterally reject another person's opinion." Not to mention telling a healer to DPS is basically now a bannable offense as well with "compelling a play style."

Last edited:

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
The changes to the rules feel like a good but really clumsy step forward. I guess I'm not really familiar with how well they handled people complaining about abuse and such until now so I don't know if they needed much improvement, but it's nice to see them trying to improve

Problem is that those rules feel really broad and vague which just opens the system to abuse. I guess we'll have to wait and see how things are going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.