• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm levelling Fishing, I take it I should be grinding collectibles for these tomes in Idyllshire? They don't add an easier way to get them once I get to the Stormblood content, do they?

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Because he's going to die

Shadowbringers spoilers for Raubhan

1493002061_blackknight.gif

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, people kind of jokingly say 'Glamour is the true endgame' in the FFXIV community, but in my case I'd say it's legit true. I'm one of those crazy people who have run certain dungeons a ridiculous number of times just to get a certain armor piece to drop for a new glamour outfit (I'll still say getting the Plague Doctor's Coat to finally drop was totally worth it). It's crazy how addictive it can be to try to create the 'perfect outfits' for your class. I really hope we get an expansion to the Glamour Plate system soon as it's honestly way too limited for the number of glamour sets I want to save.

I stopped levelling WAR and SAM at 65+ because I won't have glamour plates for them at 70. Also because SAM is so incredibly dull to play.

What bugs me a bit about FFXIV gear design is that they tend to be overdedigned... it's difficult to find even nice leather and cloth items that don't have a bunch of random metal pieces on them. I look at the simplicity of Dragon Quest outfits and wish we had more of that. Some of the Ivalice gear from 24man and dungeons comes close but alas, not dyeable.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/eb00facc2f6dc880aca78a9aa69d4dcbcf2c5f4d

Looks like Square is going to change how the Steam version works. Instead of being able to launch through the launcher file, like you do with the non-Steam version, you'll now have to do it through Steam directly.
I don't like this, at all. Hopefully someone will figure out a workaround, or (unlikely) they'll offer to add licenses.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here playing the Steam version? For some reason my profile still thinks I play the free trial and I can't "install" the full version. Anyone had this issue? Google tells me various things, and I'd rather ask here before I start deleting folders or whatnot.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm levelling Fishing, I take it I should be grinding collectibles for these tomes in Idyllshire? They don't add an easier way to get them once I get to the Stormblood content, do they?

You do want the tomes, yeah, but I'd first grab the gear. That's the more lasting investment, since it'll carry you all the way to 70.
Assuming you're at 60 and haven't, unlock the weekly custom deliveries, and the scrips will start flowing in much more quickly.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. I'm eight hours in and it's the worst game I've played in years.
Even with Platinum behind it I don't think Automata plays very well. The encounter design just isn't suited for it. I was extremely down on the game for awhile until I completely finished it. It's very backloaded and I think that's unfortunate considering the original game has a bunch of great moments in your first run through.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here playing the Steam version? For some reason my profile still thinks I play the free trial and I can't "install" the full version. Anyone had this issue? Google tells me various things, and I'd rather ask here before I start deleting folders or whatnot.
Did to enter the code for the full version of game into Mogstation?

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did to enter the code for the full version of game into Mogstation?
Yeah. I'm playing the game perfectly fine on Steam way past the free trial limit (and ingame it even says Stormblood). In my Steam library it says "Final Fantasy XIV". But I can't install it, so I launch the game using the free trial launcher.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I'm playing the game perfectly fine on Steam way past the free trial limit (and ingame it even says Stormblood). In my Steam library it says "Final Fantasy XIV". But I can't install it, so I launch the game using the free trial launcher.
Oh do you mean why it says "Final Fantasy XIV" in the library instead of like "Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood"? That's just how it is. The name in the library doesn't change once you buy an expansion.

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Ultros is staying on Primal, not moving to Crystal, so there's no reason to panic about that as far as I know (it doesn't preclude an FC move though)

... On the topic of Ultros-ERA, the FC is now named "Cenozoic"?! What's that from?

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Is the era guild staying on Ultros?
Most likely.

Wait... is Ultros being split or something?
No, theres a soft server merge/reshuffling happening in April. Some of the NA worlds are being spun off to their own data center to alleviate some congestion issues. All worlds will be able to hop in and out of all the remaining worlds on their data center with some restrictions (like fc chat being unable outside your home world).

Because of the third data center, transfers will be available to everyone for free if they wish to use them.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It happened four hours ago apparently?

... it's pretty clever actually since it reads as Cenozoic "Era".

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone ever had the sound just randomly cut out when playing FFXIV? Like, the game's sound specifically and nothing else.

There was a weird popping noise when it happened, and again when I quit the game.

Oct 25, 2017
What am I supposed to do in a dungeon if I as a DPS aggro a boss?

I haven't played as Dragoon in quite a while but as a Bard I'd kite the fella around the tank to let them grab hate.
I usually apply debuffs on the boss first, take out the adds one by one and by the time I'm done with the adds the tank would hopefully have built up enough enmity so I can go to town on the boss.

Edit: Of course, this only works for a generic situation. You'll have to adjust your strategy accordingly depending on who you're fighting.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I stopped levelling WAR and SAM at 65+ because I won't have glamour plates for them at 70. Also because SAM is so incredibly dull to play.

What bugs me a bit about FFXIV gear design is that they tend to be overdedigned... it's difficult to find even nice leather and cloth items that don't have a bunch of random metal pieces on them. I look at the simplicity of Dragon Quest outfits and wish we had more of that. Some of the Ivalice gear from 24man and dungeons comes close but alas, not dyeable.

I'm a fan of the healer and caster sets in general, though I do use a lot of the All class glamour items quite a bit as well. Not too familiar with the sets for the other classes to be honest. I really hope we get more Glamour Plates by 5.0 though. I used up most of my plates for WHM/healer glamour sets, and unfortunately don't have any left for all the RDM/caster glams I want to save as well. Also really close to running out of space in my glamour dresser (though I think there's quite a few items I don't use and can remove from there).

OP
OP
Red XIII

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
Anyone ever had the sound just randomly cut out when playing FFXIV? Like, the game's sound specifically and nothing else.

There was a weird popping noise when it happened, and again when I quit the game.
i had that happen before but only with xiv, rebooting the game fixes it but i'm not sure why it happens.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a level of spell speed red mages should have? Ive seen a couple of things saying get it to 1300 and others saying don't bother

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a level of spell speed red mages should have? Ive seen a couple of things saying get it to 1300 and others saying don't bother
I'd say don't bother going for any spell speed. I forget if it's because of increased MP problems, us having dualcast, or cooldown misalignment but SpS just isn't as useful compared to the other secondary stats. I usually do crit>DH instead.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Think I've finally narrowed down potential main jobs for Shadowbringer, will focus on 2 maaaybe 3. Right now it looks like I will go DPS main for the first time ever in an MMO. SAM, NIN, RDM and MCH/BBRD are the ones I am most interested in. DRK and Gunbreaker is a maybe (will get one of them to max level asap though just in case) and still waiting to see what the new job is. Also depends on if I can find a static or not.

Would prefer to tank or heal but honestly except for dungeons (where I think healer and tank are way more fun than DPS) I find both those roles to be pretty boring and basic. XIV puts such a huge focus on DPS no matter what role you play but DPSing as tank or healer is pure zzz. So might as well go DPS which feels like a much deeper experience trying to get better at your rotation and stuff. I might be wrong on this though because I haven't done too much high end content in Stormblood but it's why I got bored in HW, when I was a healer main.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It maybe a longshot but I would like Shadowbringer gives Black Mage the FFXII version of scathe maybe as scathe 2 or something.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I've started doing some Eureka properly. Almost finished the challenge log and went from 2 - 12 so not too bad for a days work.

Most people I've met in Anemos are very nice. Willing to rez and no real insults or anything going on in both instances I was in today so I'm quite happy.

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh do you mean why it says "Final Fantasy XIV" in the library instead of like "Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood"? That's just how it is. The name in the library doesn't change once you buy an expansion.
Oh, no, the issue was as I (poorly described, I realize):
1. I played the free trial on Steam, thus had "FINAL FANTASY XIV Online Free Trial" in my Steam library, plus a shortcut on desktop.
2. When I bought the full game + expansion on Steam, it changed to "FINAL FANTASY XIV Online" in my library. I also activated the stuff on Mogstation, so no issues there.
3. HOWEVER! The title was greyed out in my library as if it was uninstalled and there were no local files according to Steam. When I tried to install it, it was stuck endlessly creating local files. If I existed the installation the title was now white in the library, as if installed, but when clicking it it was still uninstalled.
4. BUT! I could still launch the game using my old desktop shortcut to the free trial (which was still there). Meaning I could play the game perfectly fine way above the free trial limits with a subscription, only that Steam somehow thought I was using the free trial.

Luckily, it seems like I HAVE solved it now by deleting the entire XIV folder in Steamapps, plus "appmanifest_39210.acf" in the same folder. I've now been able to actually install XIV properly in Steam and I'm currently waiting on the launcher to... reinstall everything, so this will take a while.

Strange issue!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Does Biggs and Wedge's scenes in the Little Ladies' Day event change if you haven't done Omega?

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished 2.0! That was fun. The last dungeon was rather lengthy, though, and 8 player parties sure feel more like a zerg than actual gameplay...

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Biggs and Wedge are part of the Little Ladies event? Hmm...I don't remember them showing up when I did it
I think everyone in the quest journal image can show up if you repeat it enough (RNG allowing, of course). Here's a list from the Gamerescape wiki:
There are 7 possible cutscenes:
  1. Mylla, Adalberta, Yellow Moon, and Bitter Snow
  2. Papashan and Lilira
  3. Severian, Cocobuki, and Redolent Rose
  4. Serendipity and Hamon
  5. Biggs and Wedge
  6. Popokkuli, Greinfarr, and Seserukka
  7. Ulala, Narumi, and Masha Mhakaracca
Not sure about plot-flagged changes though.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I finished 2.0! That was fun. The last dungeon was rather lengthy, though, and 8 player parties sure feel more like a zerg than actual gameplay...
Honestly it feels like a zerg because you're running content that's recommended for item level42 when most of your party is item level 130 so when your mages have HP values that would've made base ilv tanks blush.

Once you start running content that's more relevant it'll feels less like a zerg. Though you probably won't get there until the 2.4 and 2.5 trials (With the exception of Steps of Faith)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it feels like a zerg because you're running content that's recommended for item level42 when most of your party is item level 130 so when your mages have HP values that would've made base ilv tanks blush.
Oooh, that explains so much about how other players approach it.

Like, at no point did I ever understand was happening in them... I was just along for the ride.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to a really kind FC-mate I was able to do my first successful BA frag run, and now all I can think of is doing more runs. BA kind of revitalized my interest in Eureka after getting kind of down on it after reaching max level.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks to a really kind FC-mate I was able to do my first successful BA frag run, and now all I can think of is doing more runs. BA kind of revitalized my interest in Eureka after getting kind of down on it after reaching max level.
Frag runs will get pretty boring pretty quick. Even Absolute Virtue is kind of a joke.

I've been in a group that runs extremely regularly with usually pretty decent to good players and its funny how we'll get to spawn the AV NM with 40-50 minutes remaining inside the Arsenal.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Frag runs will get pretty boring pretty quick. Even Absolute Virtue is kind of a joke.

I've been in a group that runs extremely regularly with usually pretty decent to good players and its funny how we'll get to spawn the AV NM with 40-50 minutes remaining inside the Arsenal.
I can definitely see that happening considering how long it can take to actually get into BA coupled with each run being similar, but for now it just feels so different than what I've done before that I'm having a lot of fun with it. I might try for an Ozma prog sometime soonish, maybe once I get some more +2 gear.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I can definitely see that happening considering how long it can take to actually get into BA coupled with each run being similar, but for now it just feels so different than what I've done before that I'm having a lot of fun with it. I might try for an Ozma prog sometime soonish, maybe once I get some more +2 gear.
With how geared people are you can run Ozma with the Coat/Osode and a piece or two of +1 gear. I ran a 4-1 Offense/Defense split and Wisdom of the Elder.

Don't run Platebearer as a DPS.

Absolute Virtue is literally doing the opposite of what he tells you and not getting cleaned out by his cleave. A shot caller should be able to carry you through that fight pretty easily.

Ozma isn't hard either. If you've done Weeping City of Mhach its basically that except there's now an AOE that can force you close to him and there are baby Ozmas that will do the same thing at the edge of your platform. Listen to the Shotcaller and don't fuck up Meteors and you should clear.

Seriously don't fuck up Meteors. And don't eat the tank orbs as a DPS otherwise you'll turn into a meme when your Spirit of the Remembered inevitably procs.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With how geared people are you can run Ozma with the Coat/Osode and a piece or two of +1 gear. I ran a 4-1 Offense/Defense split and Wisdom of the Elder.

Don't run Platebearer as a DPS.

Absolute Virtue is literally doing the opposite of what he tells you and not getting cleaned out by his cleave. A shot caller should be able to carry you through that fight pretty easily.

Ozma isn't hard either. If you've done Weeping City of Mhach its basically that except there's now an AOE that can force you close to him and there are baby Ozmas that will do the same thing at the edge of your platform. Listen to the Shotcaller and don't fuck up Meteors and you should clear.

Seriously don't fuck up Meteors. And don't eat the tank orbs as a DPS otherwise you'll turn into a meme when your Spirit of the Remembered inevitably procs.
Right now I have a fully melded Vermilion cloak, +2 gloves, and a 4/1 magia split, and it's been good to me. I don't feel like I drop to dangerous lows with any raidwide AOE. Also I don't think the +1 gear is any different than other synched armor. It's the +2 set that has the elemental bonus that's useful.

I also run a few remembered/skirmisher, remembered/elder, and like 1 remembered/death for trash. I haven't felt like using the elders yet though.

I have watched a few clears of both AV and Ozma on youtube and they both don't seem too bad, especially with people doing call outs. I think I might be paranoid and over-preparing myself for my first prog though.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck getting through 2.x! It's a lot, but then Heavensward begins!
And yeah as said above once you're a bit later, 8-party content is much more fun and exciting and not so much zerg rushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.