• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
2.x is honestly a drag compared to 3.x.

Fuck everything about the crystal braves. Especially the quest that you have to hand out the uniforms.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
3.x was nice and straight to the point. I was surprised how fast things in 3.4/3.5 happened considering 2.55 sends you on two different detours simultaneously before you go back to Ul'dah

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
BA is a ton of fun. Too bad trying to a whole raid into it during primetime NA hours (the only time I can usually play) is the most aggressively unfun thing I've experienced in the game since Atmas. I'm going to try to get a clear in the morning or afternoon during my spring break next week.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Hey everyone!

I resubbed and have been hitting the MSQ. Currently ilvl-locked in 4.3 so I can't do a certain trial.

Just curious, but I have SCH and AST both at 70 in Lost Allagan / Ala Mhigo gear and am working in WHM. Can they all share gear at 70 or do they need armor that is tailored for each class?

Also, to hit 340, I basically need Lost Allagan and, what, Iva part 2 gear?

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone!

I resubbed and have been hitting the MSQ. Currently ilvl-locked in 4.3 so I can't do a certain trial.

Just curious, but I have SCH and AST both at 70 in Lost Allagan / Ala Mhigo gear and am working in WHM. Can they all share gear at 70 or do they need armor that is tailored for each class?

Also, to hit 340, I basically need Lost Allagan and, what, Iva part 2 gear?
You should be getting Mendacity tomestones with your roulettes, those give 360 gear in Rhalgr's Reach. Can also do Ridorana Lighthouse if you've unlocked it, that also gives 360. And the healers should share most gear, yes.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
So I'm having some trouble finding the quest "A Recurring Problem" to finish as preqs to accept "Good Intentions" to start the 2.5 content. Apparently it shows up on Milfilia after you beat 2.0 and you are still in the Waking Sands. I can't find it at all. Can anyone help?

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
So I'm having some trouble finding the quest "A Recurring Problem" to finish as preqs to accept "Good Intentions" to start the 2.5 content. Apparently it shows up on Milfilia after you beat 2.0 and you are still in the Waking Sands. I can't find it at all. Can anyone help?
Waking Sands in the room to the left with all your NPC friends. You have to fight Ifrit > Garuda > Titan (Hard)

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka

You'll need to get the quest, A Recurring Problem, from Minfilia in the Waking Sands. She'll be in her Solar.

From there, you'll need to battle the three primals, Ifrit, Garuda, and Titan again via these quests.

• Ifrit Bleeds, We Can Kill It (issuing NPC: Thancred)
  • In for Garuda Awakening (issuing NPC: Papalymo)
  • In a Titan Spot (issuing NPC: Y'shtola)

This should unlock Good Intentions (again, from Minfilia in her Solar).

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
You'll need to get the quest, A Recurring Problem, from Minfilia in the Waking Sands. She'll be in her Solar.

From there, you'll need to battle the three primals, Ifrit, Garuda, and Titan again via these quests.

• Ifrit Bleeds, We Can Kill It (issuing NPC: Thancred)
  • In for Garuda Awakening (issuing NPC: Papalymo)
  • In a Titan Spot (issuing NPC: Y'shtola)

This should unlock Good Intentions (again, from Minfilia in her Solar).
I'll have to look but I don't think I have In A Titan Spot. Where do I find Y'shtola to get the quest?

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
How spammy is Summoner's rotation? I don't mind having complex rotations or the occasional double-weave, but I'm constantly mashing buttons like DRK is (due to Dark Arts) I'm probably not going to enjoy it. Just wondering if I should level up SMN/SCH or RDM first.

Vulnicura

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How spammy is Summoner's rotation? I don't mind having complex rotations or the occasional double-weave, but I'm constantly mashing buttons like DRK is (due to Dark Arts) I'm probably not going to enjoy it. Just wondering if I should level up SMN/SCH or RDM first.

It's pretty spammy - a lot of your key burst phases are spamming Ruin 3 as much as possible. It's pretty satisfying to build your rotation though.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
SMN is the main job I play and it's kinda spammy but also not.

The most spammy part is the opener. Something like this.

http://ffxivrotations.com/1z01

But the rotation slows down after the opener and it goes into a more relaxed "two minute" rotation that is much easier to handle (it's more like several smaller rotations you do in order based on a few factors). There are a lot of oGCDs, especially if you manually control the pet, but it's manageable with practice or leaving the pet to its own AI. When you are in Dreadwyrm Trance, pretty much all your spells become instant, but it's more for mobility and less about MASH EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW. You really don't want to be moving that much while Bahamut is out or else he'll miss some Wyrmwaves. He's very finicky.

SMN's greatest strength is its flexibility. If a boss is about to go invuln you can choose to burn through your burst phase or save for after when the boss comes back and be in the same spot in your rotation. You only have to keep track of two DoTs and you can place them both on with just one ability, provided it's off cooldown (you can also force it to come off cooldown) or if you need to, you can reapply them manually. If there is an AoE situation you can choose if Bane, Tri-bind or Painflaire has priority based on the situation. There are so many options on SMN but the higher skill floor may turn some players off initially, as it seems more complex from the outside than it actually is. SMN does not get it's full rotation until literally level 70, so all other 69 levels is learning your base skills such as DoT uptime, pet management and learning the ways of Aetherflow.

Once you get the rotation and priority system down, it's less what you need to do and more when you're gonna do it.

It's very fun :)

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've been replaying the game with an alt and just finished these last night. There's a lot of bullshit, but when it's good, it's really good. Also giving Machinist a serious go this time and it's pretty fun so far.
Just be warned that MCH kinda feels clunky until like maybe 62/64 when you get Cooldown and the heated shots. At that point you can actually do something meaningful with your heat meter and get some flashy looking attacks. Definitely don't let me discourage you from sticking with MCH because, as someone who really didn't like it while leveling, it really grew on me from 60-70.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think SE will go into their plans for endgame content outside of raids and trials (basically the relic content) in Shadowbringer next weekend at fanfest in Tokyo?

I just have this feeling that we will see some interesting stuff this expansion due to linked worlds because now they can put content out in the open world and not have to worry about lesser populated worlds.

Oct 27, 2017
Just be warned that MCH kinda feels clunky until like maybe 62/64 when you get Cooldown and the heated shots. At that point you can actually do something meaningful with your heat meter and get some flashy looking attacks. Definitely don't let me discourage you from sticking with MCH because, as someone who really didn't like it while leveling, it really grew on me from 60-70.

Yeah, I'm starting to see that in the early going. But I'm definitely going to stick with it, it's when of the two or three DPS classes I haven't messed with much.

whiskeystrike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Level 52 paladin learning to tank and loving it. Sometimes I'll be running along trying to get a big pull with shield lob and it works, other times some of the monsters will break off while still running and start attacking one of the DPS. I think it's because the dps are attacking the mobs as they're being pulled and need to wait till I'm done rounding it up and flashing a couple of times. Can anyone more experienced back up my hunch or tell me how I'm doing this wrong?

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
So finished the Story yesterday.

Can't wait until the next patch

Also watched the Extended Teaser Trailer for Shadowbringers for the first time (didn't want to watch anything until I caught up)

I am so very very hyped now. Think it's more hyped for me now than it was for both HW and SB.

eee :D

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Level 52 paladin learning to tank and loving it. Sometimes I'll be running along trying to get a big pull with shield lob and it works, other times some of the monsters will break off while still running and start attacking one of the DPS. I think it's because the dps are attacking the mobs as they're being pulled and need to wait till I'm done rounding it up and flashing a couple of times. Can anyone more experienced back up my hunch or tell me how I'm doing this wrong?

Learning to tank right now must be so much cooler with Total Eclipse being available.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

That's the DPS's fault not yours. The level sync has never been scaled properly in this game so people in end game gear will always do more damage/pull more hate than people running dungeons at the appropriate level

Oct 25, 2017

That's the DPS's fault not yours. The level sync has never been scaled properly in this game so people in end game gear will always do more damage/pull more hate than people running dungeons at the appropriate level

Disagree; it's an understandable issue to have while learning, but tagging a single mob with shield lob and then continuing on to the next pack without locking down threat on the rest of the pack isn't the ideal pull method/what the rest of the party is likely used to/the safest approach. Shield lob gets threat on one mob in the pack, but just like 1 point of aggro on anything else. 'Proper' big pulls should involve doing something to tag the rest of the pack, too--either flashing/total eclipsing as you run through them to get some aggro on the pack as a whole, or shield lobbing the other as you run past if it's a 2-mob pack, or something. You basically want everything the full red engaged in combat color, not just the light red 'it's mad at me' color.

DPS will generally be trying to help speed up the run--especially if you're pulling big--so you'll see them tossing up DoTs during the pull, or melee trying to keep up combos/stacks/whatever by occasionally hitting mobs to keep things from timing out. Nobody should be full-force unloading on mobs during the pull itself, but it is generally expected that the tank will have some kind of threat on anything they pull.

Depending on the size of the pull, if you're sprinting or not (please sprint during big pulls if you can; less time pulling = less incoming damage), if/when you're popping your cds, on and on you'll take variable amounts of damage during the pull. If you're not actually hitting everything you aggro with some kind of threat generator, the healer ends up playing health bar chicken with you because if everything hasn't been properly tagged any heal is going to rip everything you haven't touched yet off of you and send it to them. Additionally, every healer has an instant-cast DoT that they can distribute on mobs in the pack while running for the pull, provided the mobs have been tagged.

So basically if your pull method is just shield lob until the end, you should work on alternate ways to actually get threat on the rest of the pulls before you settle at the end. It's not a huge deal, and for the most part the rest of the party can adapt, but if you're going to do larger pulls it's generally expected the rest of the party will be able to Do Stuff while you're pulling and not just afk run until a few GCDs after the pull finishes. The is separate from the 'overgeared DPS rip threat once the pull is settled and everyone is unloading' issue.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Let's see...you're lv 52 right? My usual opener was Shield Lob, Circle of Scorn, Flash x2. Now depending on the DPS you're being paired up with I would prioritize Flash over Total Eclipse. If you're still struggling switch to using your single target Halone Combo and tab through your targets while refreshing Circle of Scorn to keep the DOT going. Also, I usually threw my shield and used Scorn as I ran thru the mobs so I could grab 'em all.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
Question regard SB pre-order stuff... I pre-ordered the Digital CE for PC and got my code for the exp item and other stuff. What happens when I log onto my character on PS4 where I haven't preordered SB yet? Do the items unequip or what?

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Question regard SB pre-order stuff... I pre-ordered the Digital CE for PC and got my code for the exp item and other stuff. What happens when I log onto my character on PS4 where I haven't preordered SB yet? Do the items unequip or what?
Items don't get restricted. You buy them once and they should be good on both platforms.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
So finished the Story yesterday.

Can't wait until the next patch

Also watched the Extended Teaser Trailer for Shadowbringers for the first time (didn't want to watch anything until I caught up)

I am so very very hyped now. Think it's more hyped for me now than it was for both HW and SB.

eee :D

Me too.

The expansion seems much darker than the previous ones.

And the trailer is literally excellent.

whiskeystrike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the input yall. I never even thought of using Total Eclipse on pulls but with shield oath I can see it working out.

At times I feel like there is this weird time crunch between using shield lob and even getting to complete the first flash before the pull starts going in weird directions.

ExtremelyBitter So I think what I'll have to do to prevent pulls from going haywire is get off a couple of flashes or when it's available flash + ultimatum before moving on.

Oct 25, 2017
At times I feel like there is this weird time crunch between using shield lob and even getting to complete the first flash before the pull starts going in weird directions.

This game has a sort of unique latency that comes into play with when your actions register, when others actions register, when mobs are affected, etc. If you can get a feel for the timing, you can drive-by flash—run through the pack, hitting flash at the right time, and you can keep going while the flash happens behind you. The order things apply can also lead to something like you pull, hit flash, somebody hits a thing before flash applies, the mob goes to hit them, then flash applies and it turns back to you. Much like the timing for AOE dodges in XIV is different from most games, the server delay on some actions can take a hit to get a feel for.
ExtremelyBitter So I think what I'll have to do to prevent pulls from going haywire is get off a couple of flashes or when it's available flash + ultimatum before moving on.

Flash yes, ultimatum no. Tank taunts (so both provoke and Ultimatum) work differently in XIV than most MMOs—they literally just give you max current threat + 1 enmity—so if you ultimatum a fresh pack, you give yourself 1 threat on the untagged stuff. Flash, in contrast, is 1200 potency of threat on each target (there's a decent list of enmity values here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/wiki/enmity)

Ultimatum is good for getting back a threat lead, as a bonus provoke, or if you're trying to pick up adds off somebody who can then cut threat (via lucid dreaming, refresh, tactician) after you do. It's not so great for raw pickups unless you immediately follow with some real threat.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I really wish A Requiem for Heroes Part 2 came out this week, so they could do an epic final trailer next week without having to worry about spoilers.

Vulnicura

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just had one of my favorite moments playing this game so far - popped a leveling roulette into Titan normal that had already had 40 minutes pass, with the tank and 2 DPS all being new and not knowing the fight. The tank was just running around in circles barely holding aggro, one DPS was afk, and the other couldn't reliably dodge the landslides AoE that knocks you off the platform amongst others. After many failed attempts and pep talks, we managed to clear it with about 4 minutes remaining. It made me feel really good helping new players beat a pretty intimidating encounter when you're new. Big smiles!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.