• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Gotcha. I've been neglecting melding materia the entire game so far. Are dungeons the best way to get better weapons as I progress through? I have like 800k right now so I guess the market place is an option but that kind of takes the fun out of it for me. I'm a Red Mage btw if that makes any difference.
You don't need to worry about tossing any materia into gear until you're at whatever the current level cap is. You replace gear too often while leveling and content isn't tuned for it while at cap if you're raiding Savage every extra bit of stats you can squeeze out is worth it.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
New player here. I have a couple questions on gathering and retainers.

I currently leveling my first gathering job (miner).
I'm wondering should I stick to the job quests and grind the materials for each objective without doing any leves?

Also for the retainer, if I want a miner retainer, when should I get one if I want to send the retainer to get materials and sell them on the market board.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017

I'm wondering should I stick to the job quests and grind the materials for each objective without doing any leves?

Also for the retainer, if I want a miner retainer, when should I get one if I want to send the retainer to get materials and sell them on the market board.

I'd suggest doing mining leves. They're much quicker than grinding the low level stuff.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

You can start leveling a retainer immediately, it just can't go past what your current miner level.

As for leveling. Leves are good, always turn in HQ stuff. Also, make sure you're doing your daily turn-ins with your Grand Company, again, turn in HQ stuff. It's always a decent chunk of exp.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've now finished everything from ARR and the post-patch...

It's time for Heavensward. The game just keeps growing for me. And fittingly, I'm a DRG.

And the music is just fantastic. I adore this in particular, which i believe is an old 1.0 song:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I just got Battle in the Big Keep for Trial Roulette. It always reminds me of that episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation when Picard gets kidnapped by the aliens that only speak in metaphors. Gilgamesh and Enkidu at the Big Keep.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
That is indeed a 1.0 song, Marow. It's called, "Twilight Over Thanalan" and it's used in a few scenes in 2.0 and onwards.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
mSx0oNW.jpg

That should be an achievement on its own.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
So I've been playing this for about a month now and am only about to start patch 2.5, does the combat get anymore.....err....diverse or faster or anything? I find it very slow and kind of boring but maybe because ive been playing White Mage and it seems kinda whack-a-mole more than usual in this? Is there a class that feels faster or anything?

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
So I've been playing this for about a month now and am only about to start patch 2.5, does the combat get anymore.....err....diverse or faster or anything? I find it very slow and kind of boring but maybe because ive been playing White Mage and it seems kinda whack-a-mole more than usual in this? Is there a class that feels faster or anything?

If you like healing, then both AST and SCH feel faster. AST has you juggling cards, Lightspeed, and a faster attack spell while SCH has a lot of off-GCD healing at their fingertips.

If you want to try DPS, then NIN and BRD are fairly fast, though it takes a while to reach that point. NIN will juggle Mudras and flipping out is fun AF, but I cant handle the pressure or trauma of a botched Trick Attack.

BRD has a ton of proc-based abilities and stuff for you to do between casts. Both jobs are fun and in demand, but queues stink.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
If you like healing, then both AST and SCH feel faster. AST has you juggling cards, Lightspeed, and a faster attack spell while SCH has a lot of off-GCD healing at their fingertips.

If you want to try DPS, then NIN and BRD are fairly fast, though it takes a while to reach that point. NIN will juggle Mudras and flipping out is fun AF, but I cant handle the pressure or trauma of a botched Trick Attack.

BRD has a ton of proc-based abilities and stuff for you to do between casts. Both jobs are fun and in demand, but queues stink.
Hey thanks a lot. Yeah I tried BLM a bit leveling up and the queue was poo but I still have a little bit to go before I can unlock AST or SCH I think, I had my eye on them before so you reinforced that.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
All classes are gimped till they reach lv cap. The devs tune the game for endgame and put little thought into when and how actions are learned so all classes feel off while leveling, some more than others.

As for WHM, it's one of the classes with the more vocal complaints. It's supposed to be getting a rework in the next expansion cause the stuff they added in the current one was lackluster. If you feel it's too slow and boring but want to stick to healing, maybe try Astro. The cards add an rng element to your rotation you don't really get with scholar or white Mage.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
is there no way to get replicas of the final eureka weapons? What if I don't want the shitty glow on my sword?

Last edited:

Kaper

Oct 26, 2017
Every job starts off super slow because they don't have many oGCD (off global cooldown) skills. I'd say stick with White Mage so you don't have to go back and start from scratch to continue the MSQ. The three healers all have the same basic gameplay: dps as much as possible, use oGCD abilities to do the bulk of healing, and use casted spells to heal only when absolutely necessary. A good healer (any job, really) follows the ABC rule: Always Be Casting, so there shouldn't really be downtime while playing a healer.

Now, 1-50 all three healers will spend a good time hardcasting healing spells because they don't have access to their oGCD skills. 52-70 is when things start getting interesting as each spell you learn adds quite a bit to your options for healing. For example, at level 56 White Mage gets the best ability in the game, Assize, that damages and heals in an aoe while also restoring your mana. The other major strength of White Mage is that it is a dungeon running champion. It has the highest damage output of the three healers, and Holy spam straight up wrecks. Holy is one of the most powerful aoe abilities in the game and you will often outdamage the damage dealers in your group with it. AST and SCH don't get access to their critical oGCDs until 60-70, but those oGCDs are also quite fun.

Healing is fun because you are playing a balancing act between your damage and enemy damage, and it is very satisfying when you can maximize your damage while keeping everyone else alive.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Any rumors of a free login period soon? I'm caught up though 4.4, and want to finish the story before Shadowbringers comes, but am not sure if I want to play for an entire month.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been slowly working my way through the game and just had to fight Ravana. Holy shit, what an amazing fight. People had talked about FFXIV having great boss fights but up until this point they'd been pretty standard as someone who came from WoW. Ravana though was something entirely on another level. I think it just sold me on FFXIV in a way that up until this point I had been more timid (though enjoying myself).

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Been slowly working my way through the game and just had to fight Ravana. Holy shit, what an amazing fight. People had talked about FFXIV having great boss fights but up until this point they'd been pretty standard as someone who came from WoW. Ravana though was something entirely on another level. I think it just sold me on FFXIV in a way that up until this point I had been more timid (though enjoying myself).

I really recommend trying the Extreme versions of primals once you have the time (synced). They are my favourite thing in the game.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The 2.0 boss fights are all solid enough, but they've really up the presentation value on them over the years. Without spoiling too much, the 3.0 final boss, while rather easy on the normal difficulty these days, is spectacular (literally a spectacle). The last few fights of the 3.x raid series are also awesome, and pretty much all the 4.x bosses are rad as well.

Echoing filkry that the Ex versions are a blast too and highly recommend checking them out if you can get a group.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really recommend trying the Extreme versions of primals once you have the time (synced). They are my favourite thing in the game.

Do I have to be max level to try Extreme? I'm level 53 atm.

The 2.0 boss fights are all solid enough, but they've really up the presentation value on them over the years. Without spoiling too much, the 3.0 final boss, while rather easy on the normal difficulty these days, is spectacular (literally a spectacle). The last few fights of the 3.x raid series are also awesome, and pretty much all the 4.x bosses are rad as well.

Echoing filkry that the Ex versions are a blast too and highly recommend checking them out if you can get a group.

Sorry, stupid question, but what do the 2.0/3.0/4.0 refer to? Is it the expansion, like 3.0 is Heavensward and 4.0 is Stormblood? I'm only in Heavensward atm but the screenshots i've seen of Stormblood make it seem like it's really beautiful and i'm excited to get to explore those zones.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, stupid question, but what do the 2.0/3.0/4.0 refer to? Is it the expansion, like 3.0 is Heavensward and 4.0 is Stormblood? I'm only in Heavensward atm but the screenshots i've seen of Stormblood make it seem like it's really beautiful and i'm excited to get to explore those zones.

Yep, 3.x is Heavensward and 4.x is Stormblood. Those are the patch numbers for each.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
How much money did you pump into it? I just finished Pyros and have 35. I moved to Hydatos but have to eventually work on finishing my logos board up.
Wasn't all at once, but probably ~2-2.5M. There was definitely some waste in there though, I bought way more of certain types than I needed in the end because I wasn't exactly sure how it all worked until I started getting my hands dirty.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I was there a week ago

I can get that sick armor tho
I'm really only here for the SAM/SMN/SCH weapons. Not a huge fan of the other ones. Might get DRK if I have time before the expansion. The armor is best in slot for a bunch of armor slots but that's only good until the expansion, so meh. And I only like the look of the tank armor.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even bother with Normal Raid Roulette. I've only done most of Alexander once and most of them were done unsynced. I don't want to waste people's time in raids that I don't know the mechanics for.

Most of the Alex raids are pretty smooth sailing now, it's really just that one and Cruise Chaser that kills groups still. Nobody wants to help with bombs, everybody just tries to tank Boost and wonders why we wipe.

It's not the most obvious of mechanics, I realize, but you would think people would figure it out by the fifth pull, or would speak up and ask about what's not clear. :x

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
Finally made it to 4.0 and boy realizing who the girl in red was from the Stormblood trailers was so cool! I'm so surprised at how good the story is. I remember hearing years ago when Heavensward came out that the story is legit good but I didn't think an MMO could even have a cohesive and good narrative but boy was I wrong.

How long is the SB main scenario? I didn't think I would be able to catch up to the current patch before Shadowbringers comes out but I've been flying through the game these past two weeks.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Finally made it to 4.0 and boy realizing who the girl in red was from the Stormblood trailers was so cool! I'm so surprised at how good the story is. I remember hearing years ago when Heavensward came out that the story is legit good but I didn't think an MMO could even have a cohesive and good narrative but boy was I wrong.

How long is the SB main scenario? I didn't think I would be able to catch up to the current patch before Shadowbringers comes out but I've been flying through the game these past two weeks.
I'm not 100% accurate, but it should be in comparable length to Heavensward. You'll be caught up before June 28th at the rate you're going.

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
Was totally hazed during the Praetorium. Not fun. Let the chat know it was my first time through, got to the materia mecha thing, cutscenes wouldn't load. Everyone left. Chat laughed for fifteen minutes.

Not gonna let this impede my enjoyment but that was the least fun I've had since starting.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Was totally hazed during the Praetorium. Not fun. Let the chat know it was my first time through, got to the materia mecha thing, cutscenes wouldn't load. Everyone left. Chat laughed for fifteen minutes.

Not gonna let this impede my enjoyment but that was the least fun I've had since starting.

It's really only an issue there because Castrum and Praetorium are the only 2 dungeons in the MSQ roulette, it gives a decent chunk of exp for very little effort, but if people are doing it daily, they just stop giving a shit about a new player's experience. Usually they'll just tell people to activate the terminals and keep moving. It's still better than it used to be where new people basically got jumped cutscene to cutscene because everyone skipped them.

Doodlebug

Oct 25, 2017
It's really only an issue there because Castrum and Praetorium are the only 2 dungeons in the MSQ roulette, it gives a decent chunk of exp for very little effort, but if people are doing it daily, they just stop giving a shit about a new player's experience. Usually they'll just tell people to activate the terminals and keep moving. It's still better than it used to be where new people basically got jumped cutscene to cutscene because everyone skipped them.

I think that's what happened. Upon arriving to the materia armor, I saw everyone with a media clip by their names standing around watching a cutscene. I try to trigger it, nothing happens. Eventually it starts after I leave the room and reenter. By that time everyone had gone on to the final forms and I just watched cutscene after cutscene, fight, cutscene, etc.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I had trouble with that part where you're supposed to board the magitek armor, too. I missed two boss fights trying to get past that part.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's what happened. Upon arriving to the materia armor, I saw everyone with a media clip by their names standing around watching a cutscene. I try to trigger it, nothing happens. Eventually it starts after I leave the room and reenter. By that time everyone had gone on to the final forms and I just watched cutscene after cutscene, fight, cutscene, etc.

After the magitek armor it's boss fight > walk like 20steps > cutscene > boss fight > cutscene > boss fight > cutscene > boss fight. So even if you were there it would have been the same. It's a terrible dungeon to finish 2.0 with. Thankfully they changed that later on so cutscenes happen before queuing and after completion instead of in the middle.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
If anyone in Era or on Ultros in general still needs the lamppost vista and doesn't want to climb the tower, I'm going to stay on it for a bit. If you have a BLU with Self Destruct, come over and I'll res you up onto the lamppost.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

Those final AAR dungeons are rough yeah.

Yoy can see any cutscenes you missed at an inn, fortunately. Back when you could skip em that's how I saw them all.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished the feast of famine Fisher quest. It was only 3 weeks before I caught Helicprion. Unbelievable.

I made it!

kZ1Uzhj.jpg

And made the lamppost the first try!

RV0BVH4.jpg

How do you make it to the lamppost? I only got to the stormblood content at the weekend and it's had me perplexed. Is it a running jump from the large building you enter from or something?

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got caught up to the latest patch and just need to go run the dungeon. I also decided to pick back up on Susano farming but 60 runs and still no luck. I'm going to finish the four lords line so I can at least try the extreme versions and hope they are similar difficulty to susano/lakshmi.

Status
Not open for further replies.