• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Oct 27, 2017
Am I supposed to just not attack as AST? Every now and then I get some Dark Knight who gets fucking destroyed in pulls so I'm forced to spam Benefic and sometimes even have to Lightspeed or Quickcast. It's happened multiple times as I've leveled AST. I don't remember this happening with WHM.

In a dungeon run or pick up group, it's been rare at least in my experience to get a Dark Knight who wasn't made of glass. I'm not a tank person so I'm unaware but I assume it is much more a user error thing than job problems.

WHM is a little bit easier for dungeon DPS than AST, since you have Holy and more quickly accessible panic buttons. Since you're leveling, there is probably even less time, especially if you're in Bardam's or whatnot.

How I do dungeons as AST:
Card priority: Balance, Arrow, Spear to single DPS. Don't AoE cards. Ewer should be unnecessary, Spire usually unnecessary although sometimes it is nice if you have a good Warrior. Also, if you have one competent Phys DPS then a nitwit for the second DPS, it can nice too.

Heal padding: Diurnal sect only, always have Aspected Benefic on the tank, once situated always have Earthly Star under the tank for a panic heal (run a macro for it's targeting, its detonation is Off-GCD), E. Dignity scales to health so don't be afraid to let the tank dip

Damage: Combust on mobs during the pull, no initial damage and lasts 30 seconds so its good for that. After cards and Aspected Benefic are in place (and anything else you need, ie Lucid Dreaming or Cleric Stance) Lightspeed then C. Opposition for 20 second duration. That is 20 seconds of Gravity Spam and if you need an emergency Benefic II it will be instant too, can weave in Largeese if the tank is wearing Tinfoil). Wrap things up with Malefic spam.

If things are not dead by then, locate the Phys DPS with a full TP bar and roll your eyes as hard as you can.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
In a dungeon run or pick up group, it's been rare at least in my experience to get a Dark Knight who wasn't made of glass.

WHM is a bit better for dungeon DPS than AST, since you have Holy and more accessible panic buttons. Since you're leveling, there is probably even less time, especially if you're in Bardam's or whatnot.

How I do dungeons as AST:
Card priority: Balance, Arrow, Spear to single DPS. Don't AoE cards. Ewer should be unnecessary, Spire usually unnecessary although sometimes it is nice if you have a good Warrior. Also, if you have one competent Phys DPS then a nitwit for the second DPS, it can nice too.

Heal padding: Diurnal sect only, always have Aspected Benefic on the tank, once situated always have Earthly Star under the tank for a panic heal (run a macro for it's targeting, its detonation is Off-GCD), E. Dignity scales to health so don't be afraid to let the tank dip

Damage: Combust on mobs during the pull, no initial damage and lasts 30 seconds so its good for that. After cards and Aspected Benefic are in place (and anything else you need, ie Lucid Dreaming or Cleric Stance) Lightspeed then C. Opposition for 20 second duration. That is 20 seconds of Gravity Spam and if you need an emergency Benefic II it will be instant too, can weave in Largeese if the tank is wearing Tinfoil). Wrap things up with Malefic spam.

If things are not dead by then, locate the Phys DPS with a full TP bar and roll your eyes as hard as you can.

Oh shit CO increases LS duration as well? I gotta try this.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Oh shit CO increases LS duration as well? I gotta try this.
CO increases every buff applied onto yourself. Cleric Stance, Largrasse, Lucid Dreaming, etc...

Its extremely nice and honestly really, really, really, really helps manage your MP economy because god forbid AST is a thirsty job.

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to throw out that if you're dungeoning on AST, don't sleep on Collective Unconscious once you're at a level you can use it. The Collective HoT is insanely good, and ever since the ground effect change a few patches back you can weave it between GCDs and it'll apply instantly without needing to channel for any length of time. Collective/AB/Oppo/Dilate gives the tank an insane Regen that'll tick for a good long while.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Momo for healing, Xenosys for tanking off the top of my head.

If you need in class guide I'd recommend going to the Balance discord and checking out the pinned messages they have there. If you want to you could try chatting in the class based discussions and see what kind of improves they can recommend for your playstyle.

Also if you're on PC get ACT running so you can parse your numbers and see how well you're doing.

Thank you!

Vulnicura

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I transfered to an EU data centre and the reduction in ping is amazing. I'm a little in awe that I can now press buttons and they just work instead of spamming them for life and hoping I don't clip.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I can data transfer for free

I'm in EU, I'm in light, but I wanna go to my friends in Chaos.. is there something like when they once made going to the least populated servers you'd get extra exp or bonuses? wondering if it still happens. Oh and I wonder which servers of Chaos have people speaking English most? Heard Ragnarok but I would like to confirm first as that is where my FC will be

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I can data transfer for free

I'm in EU, I'm in light, but I wanna go to my friends in Chaos.. is there something like when they once made going to the least populated servers you'd get extra exp or bonuses? wondering if it still happens. Oh and I wonder which servers of Chaos have people speaking English most? Heard Ragnarok but I would like to confirm first as that is where my FC will be
They've turned off the low server population bonus in EU servers during the free transfer period.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I should transfer to Europe, too. I'm in the UK but play on the US Primal datacenter. So sick of clearly being well out of an orange marker and then getting hit by it and dying anyway.

I can move for free right now?

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of it is just the buildup to 5.0.
Varis now plans to use chemical warfare on the Eorzian alliance and maybe is just an Ascian himself now? The Warrior of Light almost loses to "Zenos" but Estenien saves them. They meet the man that has put everyone in comas and he wants you to travel to the First and the Crystal Tower has something to do with getting there maybe and what not.
Also I suggest watching or reading up on the Crystal Tower raid story, its gonna be important for 5.0. Also do a recap of the Warriors of Darkness from 3.0. Not much really happened in this patch.
What part has you most confused? I ask because this last patch has callbacks to the Crystal Tower quest chain and post Heavensward plot threads and throws in 5.0 stuff at the very last second, so any summary might have to recap really old stuff you might have forgotten or skipped.

This happens to me when I forget to put on my sect, you're not doing that too right?

You should still have time to dps, but fiddling with cards will likely suck up some of that time till you get the hang of it. It's also easier on WHM cause Holy is an aoe stunt that you can spam on every pull while AST only has 1 aoe stun with a long cooldown.

Well -

-Why isn't the emperor freaking out about Ascians trying to control everything around him?
-So the founders of the empire were ascians? I'm confused who the revived guy is.
-Is Zenos actually alive or possessed?
-What does going to the one have to do with everything else that is going on?
-Why would we decide to go to the one in the middle of a conflict with the empire? Like...we are literally on a battlefield trying to encroach into their territory. Is all of that about to come to a halt?

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Well -

-Why isn't the emperor freaking out about Ascians trying to control everything around him?
-So the founders of the empire were ascians? I'm confused who the revived guy is.
-Why would we decide to go to the one in the middle of a conflict with the empire? Like...we are literally on a battlefield trying to encroach into their territory. Is all of that about to come to a halt?

The emperor straight up does not care about the Ascians at the end of Stormblood credits before the patches he says something along lines of I don't care what you and your black robe friends do long don't do it within his empire. He seems see it as he deal with them after crushing Eoreza until then he does not care about there little game

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The game seems to be really slow to update your character's position when you use the red mage and samurai jump back skills, and I assume it's the same with bard, you have to be a good few seconds clear of aoes to avoid getting hit

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
The emperor straight up does not care about the Ascians at the end of Stormblood credits before the patches he says something along lines of I don't care what you and your black robe friends do long don't do it within his empire. He seems see it as he deal with them after crushing Eoreza until then he does not care about there little game

But does he even know what their little game is? It seems like what they are doing DOES have implications on the empire? How could you not care....Also what is their game?

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
This is a good infographic for tanking
2ngxaQu.png

Thanks! Man I love the kitties.

Vulnicura

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I should transfer to Europe, too. I'm in the UK but play on the US Primal datacenter. So sick of clearly being well out of an orange marker and then getting hit by it and dying anyway.

I can move for free right now?

Not right now, if your character is on a US data server than on 23rd April you can move for free.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Well -

Spoilers up to and including the most recent story quest.

He says during the negotiations with the Eorzean alliance that he's willing to help the Ascians with the Rejoining because he believes at that point mankind (which would presumably all be under Garlean rule at that point) will be strong enough to escape from the grip of the Ascians.

An Ascian, yes. The revived guy is Solus zos Galvus, the founder of the Garlean empire and an Ascian. He's also Varis (the current emperor)'s grandfather.

Elidibus (the white-robed Ascian) is possessing Zenos's body. Zenos himself is that Elezen with the katana you've seen in cutscenes in the recent patch storylines. He developed the ability to transfer bodies while experimenting with the Resonant (like Fordola).

We don't know specifically yet, but it will be related to the Ascian storyline, which is all about the balance of Light (Hydaelyn) and Dark (Zodiark). Clearly the balance was destroyed on the First, so we're going there to fix it.

We don't know yet.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Well -

-They share a common goal, rejoining the shards that separate Zodiark with Hydaelyn. The ascians want to do it so Zodiark can regain his power while Varis wants to do it so all the races can become one and unite together to defeat the ascians

-Yes. The revived guy is Solus, the founder of the empire. The empire was founded just to create chaos in the world and bring about calamities to power up Zodiark.

-Both. His body is possessed by an ascian, Elidibus. His mind is possessing a resistance soldier in the cutscene at the end of the patch, the one thats talking about getting to the battle too late and missing the WoL. He's heading to take control of the empire before reuniting with us.

-The battle ended in a stalemate and Fake Zenos retreated after Estinien saved us so with the discovery of what the fuck the headaches and voice thats been putting echo users into a coma, the plan is now to go to The First to find the comatose scions and bring them back so they can help us defeat the Empire.

-Our side thinks they can hold the line while we get our companions unaware that Solus and possibly Varis are planning to gas them with the Black Rose gas.
But does he even know what their little game is? It seems like what they are doing DOES have implications on the empire? How could you not care....Also what is their game?
Hydaelyn and Zodiark were once 1, but when Zodiark tried to take over Hydaelyn banished it to the moon and in doing so split the universe into 14 dimensions and split the original race of man into all the different races.

The Ascians are agents of Zodiark that are trying to resurrect him to his full power by bringing about calamities so the barriers that separate the dimensions weaken. Each time they accomplish this a shard/universe in the multiverse is destroyed and rejoins the source shard/universe, bringing Zodiark a bit closer to full power and to Hydaelyn.

Varis is aware that's their goal and is fine with it cause he believes restoring all the shards to the source will reunite all the races as 1 and that a single race will unite together to defeat the ascians freeing them from their manipulations.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the AF gear that does nothing but fill my armory chest wasting space (but held onto for occasional glamours), should I break those into glamour plates? I've not touched the Glamour Dresser system at all since resubbing.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to give female characters more musculature? I don't remember. I'm thinking of using my Fantasia to give my WoL a six pack. I figure that after all this adventuring she should be shredded by now.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to give female characters more musculature? I don't remember. I'm thinking of using my Fantasia to give my WoL a six pack. I figure that after all this adventuring she should be shredded by now.

Well males barely have muscles themselves. My catboy was just enough to be considered fit

I dunno why they don't have more muscle options on the game

So the AF gear that does nothing but fill my armory chest wasting space (but held onto for occasional glamours), should I break those into glamour plates? I've not touched the Glamour Dresser system at all since resubbing.

You can just store them all as glamors if you aren't actually using them. You got only 10 gear glamor sets to use but you can store a lot of items for use in it

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Well males barely have muscles themselves. My catboy was just enough to be considered fit

You can just store them all as glamors if you aren't actually using them. You got only 10 gear glamor sets to use but you can store a lot of items for use in it
Fear not, Hrothgar are coming

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
So I'm coming back after a bit over a year and my highest level character is at i315. My question is: Is it even worth my time to try and gear up to 390 or whatever if the expansion is gonna invalidate all of it in a few months?

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm coming back after a bit over a year and my highest level character is at i315. My question is: Is it even worth my time to try and gear up to 390 or whatever if the expansion is gonna invalidate all of it in a few months?

The higher the ilvl the longer you don't have to worry about gearing. At max ilvl you should be able to get away without gearing until around halfway through the expansion

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

Hyurs do have muscle sliders though. I think I remember adjusting it. Does anyone with a max muscle female Hyur post their character pls. This is gonna bug me all day.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

I'm asking the same question about au ra . Let me make a buff ass au ra

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

The whole glamour dresser thing is honestly baffling to me. I can't figure it out. I just use it as 200 extra inventory spaces to store glamours I might want to use and I take them out if I need them.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
The whole glamour dresser thing is honestly baffling to me. I can't figure it out. I just use it as 200 extra inventory spaces to store glamours I might want to use and I take them out if I need them.
Glamour plates are sets of appearances that can be applied together and associated with gear sets. They are made up of individual item glamour appearances you have stored in your dresser/armoire.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Glamour plates are sets of appearances that can be applied together and associated with gear sets. They are made up of individual item glamour appearances you have stored in your dresser/armoire.

Yes, but do they all have to be in the dresser to apply a glamour plate though? I like to wear the gear I just picked up from raid or Eureka or whatever and mix it together with other glamours. It always just seemed more straightforward to glamour each piece individually. Also, if I apply a plate, it destroys the glamour and dye I had on an individual piece which drives me nuts.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but do they all have to be in the dresser to apply a glamour plate though? I like to wear the gear I just picked up from raid or Eureka or whatever and mix it together with other glamours. It always just seemed more straightforward to glamour each piece individually. Also, if I apply a plate, it destroys the glamour and dye I had on an individual piece which drives me nuts.
Yes, the plates can only use appearances that are in the dresser/armoire, and they only apply as an entire set. You can't pick and choose which parts of the plate you want to apply - if you want to use appearances you already have applied that aren't part of the plate, you either need to leave that slot empty on the plate (in which case it will just use what was already there) or glamour each slot individually instead of applying a plate.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about shield. With WHM, I would use Medica II usually for a boss' group-wide damage, sometimes just Medica. What I like about Medica II is that even if I don't heal the damage fully, the regen will eventually take care of the rest. I usually cast it during the boss' cast to time it so that I heal everyone right as we get hit. With AST I find myself doing the same thing in Nocturnal Sect, which is probably not ideal since it's shields, not regen. So with Nocturnal I'm supposed to cast Aspected Helios before we get hit right? So the shields could reduce the damage? Then I was thinking healing the rest with regular Helios or something but I don't know if that's a waste of MP.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
You can make sets with only specific pieces, or you can unequip a piece you don't want to glamour then apply the plate on the other pieces. You can for example make an Emperor neck/ear/ring/bracer plate just to hide all jewelry on all sets fairly easily, anytime you loot a new accessory and go back to town, you can just apply the plate to give it an emperor glamour.

Also as far as I know, you can remove pieces once you've used them to make a plate and the plate will still work. But obviously to make the plate, the item has to be in the dresser(or in the armoire).

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I mean having done him in 3.55 w/ 20% echo and i270 you just have to know how to not murder yourself during add phase.

Survive second intermission.

And not immediately nuke your party during gavel.

Okay maybe that's still hard lmao.

Skoje

Oct 26, 2017
I mean having done him in 3.55 w/ 20% echo and i270 you just have to know how to not murder yourself during add phase.

Survive second intermission.

And not immediately nuke your party during gavel.

Okay maybe that's still hard lmao.

Its come down to T9 levels. You can kill it before gavel goes off. And second intermission isn't hard. You just got to hide behind the legs (which is tougher than it sounds)

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Its come down to T9 levels. You can kill it before gavel goes off. And second intermission isn't hard. You just got to hide behind the legs (which is tougher than it sounds)
Nah T9 finally entered complete and total joke territory. Exploding meteors don't kill you at level70 (But they seriously hurt so healing required) and the only thing you have to worry about is merging golems. (Though apparently they are killable but also not really.)

But uh yeah. GL finding a DFer that can tackle A8S. Though I imagine next expansion it'll finally enter joke territory.

I still need to a clear on A7S.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about shield. With WHM, I would use Medica II usually for a boss' group-wide damage, sometimes just Medica. What I like about Medica II is that even if I don't heal the damage fully, the regen will eventually take care of the rest. I usually cast it during the boss' cast to time it so that I heal everyone right as we get hit. With AST I find myself doing the same thing in Nocturnal Sect, which is probably not ideal since it's shields, not regen. So with Nocturnal I'm supposed to cast Aspected Helios before we get hit right? So the shields could reduce the damage? Then I was thinking healing the rest with regular Helios or something but I don't know if that's a waste of MP.
Yeah, basically the barrier is an invisible amount of extra HP that for Aspected Helios is 150% of whatever the healed amount is (so ideally you aren't casting it when everyone is already at full, otherwise you technically are wasting MP there). Additionally it does not stack with SCH's barriers, so if paired with a SCH in content always go Diurnal.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, basically the barrier is an invisible amount of extra HP that for Aspected Helios is 150% of whatever the healed amount is (so ideally you aren't casting it when everyone is already at full, otherwise you technically are wasting MP there). Additionally it does not stack with SCH's barriers, so if paired with a SCH in content always go Diurnal.

Wait so I shouldn't try to cast it before the raid wide damage hits otherwise the shield will be weak? It's definitely reducing damage if I manage to cast it before it hits but the problem I'm finding myself having is that the raid wide aoe comes out too quickly so I don't make it in time.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait so I shouldn't try to cast it before the raid wide damage hits otherwise the shield will be weak? It's definitely reducing damage if I manage to cast it before it hits but the problem I'm finding myself having is that the raid wide aoe comes out too quickly so I don't make it in time.

My understanding is that even if everyone's full on HP, the shield will still apply calculated off the full amount of HP that would've been healed.

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest thing with shields is that the party doesn't need to be topped all the time, and so you can either shield before damage or heal after, depending on which works better for you/what freebies you have coming up.

ie, if you can use Collective Unconscious to top up the party, or have an Earthly Star you can pop that will provide more HP than people lost, then shielding before the damage doesn't really do anything and you don't need to bother. Likewise, if you're paired with a WHM that's keeping Medica II up all the time, you don't need to shield every AOE that goes out,.

If you know a bunch of AOE is coming, or a spot where people like to stand in things (Suzaku EX being a great example of people eating avoidable stuff most of the time) you can toss up shields to be safe, or to get a bit ahead so you're not stuck healing everything up after.

The ideal situation is really that the party isn't 100% topped before an AOE, so that both halves of Aspected Helios accomplish something--you get a 150 potency heal on everyone, and then a shield for 150% of whatever the HP restored would have been. If everyone is topped before, the base heal does nothing and the value of the heal is just the shield (~225 potency); if there's no immediate followup damage, doing an Aspected Helios before the damage ends up potentially being worse than doing a normal Helios after, since the normal Helios is a cheaper spell that restores 300 potency of HP taken as damage (more than the value of the shield.) Of course if it's two hard-hitting AOEs close together, without time to heal between, suddenly the shield becomes more important because it's the difference between surviving and dying on the second hit.

The tricky part of shields is learning when to use them and when to not; it'll usually be down to your comfort with a fight, the group you're with, etc. Shields actually have a slight application delay that you have to get a feel for, so it can take a bit to get used to how early you have to be on a shield to have it count.

Status
Not open for further replies.