• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait so I shouldn't try to cast it before the raid wide damage hits otherwise the shield will be weak? It's definitely reducing damage if I manage to cast it before it hits but the problem I'm finding myself having is that the raid wide aoe comes out too quickly so I don't make it in time.
Sorry I should have worded that better. As said before this post the shield still benefits the full amount, it is more the matter of not needing to have everyone always topped off.

Aurelia Borel

Oct 30, 2017
but the problem I'm finding myself having is that the raid wide aoe comes out too quickly so I don't make it in time.

There's definitely a bit of a learning curve when you move from a regen healer to a shield healer, even if you know the fight, because you kind of have to relearn when to time your heals. WHM and Diurnal AST can afford to wait until they see the enemy's cast bar to start prepping Medica II/Aspected Helios, but SCH and Nocturnal AST usually need to start casting Succor/Aspected Helios before they see the cast bar (if there even is a cast bar), otherwise there's a decent chance the shields won't apply before the damage hits.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
There's definitely a bit of a learning curve when you move from a regen healer to a shield healer, even if you know the fight, because you kind of have to relearn when to time your heals. WHM and Diurnal AST can afford to wait until they see the enemy's cast bar to start prepping Medica II/Aspected Helios, but SCH and Nocturnal AST usually need to start casting Succor/Aspected Helios before they see the cast bar (if there even is a cast bar), otherwise there's a decent chance the shields won't apply before the damage hits.

Yeah that's rough. I'm not use to that at all. For now I've just been casting periodically on older dungeon bosses I'm not familiar with anymore since the shield is up for a good 30 seconds. I know dungeon bosses don't really hit hard enough but it's basically just practice. I feel like I can at least react to proximity and stack marker stuff. Speaking of, do you guys use Collective Unconscious in addition to shielding everyone up for those and other giant attacks (like a boss' huge attack after charging energy) or is that overkill and one or the other is enough?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about the Optical Hat if anyone is in the know.

So I understand you need the Alchemist crafted item in your inventory for it to drop, and the item itself is tradeable/marketable. Is the item ever consumed or does it stay in your inventory after Optical Hat drops? Curious if I can do it and then pass it to a friend for them to do it or if its gone forever.

Aurelia Borel

Oct 30, 2017
Speaking of, do you guys use Collective Unconscious in addition to shielding everyone up for those and other giant attacks (like a boss' huge attack after charging energy) or is that overkill and one or the other is enough?

It depends. In 4-man dungeons, shields + Collective Unconscious is definitely overkill from a mitigation standpoint. In high-end content like extreme primals and savage raids, there are some places where having both up for a hard-hitting or multi-strike AOE is helpful. Just keep in mind that Collective gets used just as much, if not more so, for the powerful regen it bestows.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about the Optical Hat if anyone is in the know.

So I understand you need the Alchemist crafted item in your inventory for it to drop, and the item itself is tradeable/marketable. Is the item ever consumed or does it stay in your inventory after Optical Hat drops? Curious if I can do it and then pass it to a friend for them to do it or if its gone forever.
Pretty sure its one and done, otherwise everyone would have been wearing the hat in Pagos and Pyros.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Collective regen + AB + Time Dilation on main tank makes healing so comfy in all situations. Best thing they did to AST was make that regen instant.

Also noct on AST is kinda awful, IMO. I still think they should delete it and just give us another proper shield healer. Or go the way of giving every healer shields /and/ regens. Removes a bit of job identity but makes it easier to balance

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Collective regen + AB + Time Dilation on main tank makes healing so comfy in all situations. Best thing they did to AST was make that regen instant.

Also noct on AST is kinda awful, IMO. I still think they should delete it and just give us another proper shield healer. Or go the way of giving every healer shields /and/ regens. Removes a bit of job identity but makes it easier to balance

Someone earlier suggested that same setup for big pulls. I do Earthly Star, CU, Largesse, AB, Cleric Stance, LS, CO, TD, and finally Gravity spam. It takes a while to set up but it feels good not having to worry about the tank pretty much at all. Then I switch to Nocturnal while the other stuff is in cooldown. I also stick with Nocturnal for boss fights just to practice using shields. I'm level 69 now and I'm not really a fan lol. It's different. But at the same time, I don't like AST's regen. It feels a lot shittier overall healing with AST than it does with WHM.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
AST is now level 70. Finally. So unless I go and get me some Alphascape ilevel 400 gear in addition to my tome gear, my WHM and AST are gonna basically look exactly the same right? That's pretty lame. I guess I can just change glamours every time I switch jobs.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Glamour is the true endgame, so yes.

Yeah I guess I'll just stick to switching glamour plates each time I switch jobs. However, what would happen if I make the entire AST artifact gear into a glamour plate, apply it to my tome gear, then switch back to WHM? I'm assuming it'll dispel the glamour or something and then when I then go from WHM to AST, I won't have the glamour on. Idk.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Is there any unique per-job armor other than the artifact sets?
For combat classes? Not really, just the AF of the various expansions. Crafting and gathering classes have "kinda AFs" that you can craft/buy with scrips depending on the expansion. Most of the gear is role specific rather than class specific, they already kinda struggle with adding one job set per expansion wouldn't count on more.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
AST is now level 70. Finally. So unless I go and get me some Alphascape ilevel 400 gear in addition to my tome gear, my WHM and AST are gonna basically look exactly the same right? That's pretty lame. I guess I can just change glamours every time I switch jobs.
If you use glamour plates you can just tie them to the equipment sets so they automatically swap.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have one quality job-specific armor set than have them try to reinvent the wheel multiple times an expansion. WoW had 3ish class sets per expansion before they got rid of raid sets and there were a lot of duds.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I'd rather have one quality job-specific armor set than have them try to reinvent the wheel multiple times an expansion. WoW had 3ish class sets per expansion before they got rid of raid sets and there were a lot of duds.

3.0 was awful for this. The tome gear was the job specific AF so while you were gearing AST week by week you were locked out of any other healers.

It helped push me towards DRG because by the time the normal raid rolled around I'd spent my time clearing Ravana and Bismark Ex on AST when it was significantly underpowered as a healer.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Practiced with AST a bit more in a couple level 70 dungeons. I'm getting the hang of it even if I still fumble around with cards from time to time. Sometimes I forget to even draw one. The biggest challenge for me though is still using shields. You really gotta learn the boss rotation. I kinda prefer healing on reaction. I know I can just stick to Diurnal and heal more like a WHM but I'd rather learn to get at least competent at shielding in case Geomancer or whatever it's gonna be focuses on shields. Overall, I enjoy WHM more. AST kinda feels like more work for less results.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly with dungeons (And most content) I just sit on Diurnal mostly because you really don't need to mitigate damage when everyone's geared up on i390+. My feeling is shielding should only be required if you can get use out of both the heal and shield. With AST you get a choice with Helios/Aspected Helios but for Aspected Benefic you get less total potency healing for 1 GCD in Nocturnal than Diurnal. (1160 total potency for Diurnal vs 700 for Nocturnal)

Not to mention you can extend the hot and get more bang for your buck with Time Dilation and and Celestial Opposition.

I won't lie though and will agree AST feels like more work for less results but the extra DPS the cards can provide win out in the long term with a competent group.

Than again nothing beats out Holy in dungeons. (Well. Miasma 2 is better for DPS because it doesn't have damage falloff)

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
For combat classes? Not really, just the AF of the various expansions. Crafting and gathering classes have "kinda AFs" that you can craft/buy with scrips depending on the expansion. Most of the gear is role specific rather than class specific, they already kinda struggle with adding one job set per expansion wouldn't count on more.

Sorry, I wasn't asking for more sets. I was just clarifying that I was correct as to how it currently works. I'm fine with one per expansion.

Lauren

Feb 16, 2018
Cardiff
Decided I'm 100% re-doing my HUD because it's a total mess and I need it to run cleaner as we go into ShB.

Thought I'd share some resources I've been using to tidy up (still in progress right now)

If anyone would like to share their UI I'd be super interested in seeing. I'm wanting to try more minimal style.
I haven't managed to find a good place with my crossbar yet. I'd like it to disappear when I have my weapon away but I also use sprint in cities all the time.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when there was supposed to be PSVR support for FFXIV?

I was just thinking, I think it'd be real neat to run around the game with my Rift. Probably not fun to play, but just to look around and junk.

Shame that never happened.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Decided I'm 100% re-doing my HUD because it's a total mess and I need it to run cleaner as we go into ShB.

Thought I'd share some resources I've been using to tidy up (still in progress right now)

If anyone would like to share their UI I'd be super interested in seeing. I'm wanting to try more minimal style.
I haven't managed to find a good place with my crossbar yet. I'd like it to disappear when I have my weapon away but I also use sprint in cities all the time.

Thanks! I've been thinking about redoing mine. It seems just running my PC UI through my Steam Link isn't exactly a good idea because the font size is too small on a regular TV!

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure mine will be much help if you want minimal

nM6GOYs.jpg

O7bU3Nb.jpg

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I feel like that Egg Hunt, especially quest #2 is one of the most poorly designed elements of FF14 in the last 1000 hours I've put in.

First of all, the map they give you doesn't even line up with the in-game map and because the letters are so densely spaced if you're one bit off you end up down an entirely different word path. For both quests I had to keep asking the girl until she put the numbers on the hunt map so I can see exactly where they are supposed to be located on that map compared to the in-game map. Maybe they should've given you a way to mark their locations on your map when you find them?

Second of all, this assumes that you know the names of all these generic NPCs named with long names from a random letter generator. And then for quest #2 it's even more insultingly designed because.

Nothing indicates that the person is not located in Old Gridania, like the first riddle was in New Gridania only for the clues and the solution person. So even when the gal spells out the name, if you have no idea who that is you end up spending 20 mins running around Old and New Gridania looking at every NPC name and not finding it and then you google the solution and find out they're in the hut in Central Shroud.

Just seems really poorly designed. Was super glad when it was over.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
RDM got me feeling like Thanos. Is PoD still the best way to level DPS till 57 and from there I do dungeons all the way to 70?

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about that. How is it? Comparable experience to dungeons?
No, idea i never bothered with it. I burned myself out on deep dungeon with PotD, so I mostly do PvP now to lv which has been greatly nerfed xp wise after how good it was at 5.0 launch.

I've heard others say its good though just be aware you'll need to run 1 - 20 during prime time hours or with a premade cause the lving floor is 20 - 30 and those lower lv floors are pretty dead compared to PotD.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
My issue with the egg hunt is that the maps are so faded that they're practically useless. And if you bug her enough, she shows you a clearer one and I thought, "Why didn't I get that one?"

I would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't fighting to make sense of my main tool for solving it.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I forgot about that. How is it? Comparable experience to dungeons?

XP from PoTD/HoH is pretty good, though not sure if it's quite as much as doing the highest level dungeon available (if you're looking into efficiency of exp over time as a DPS, then you probably have to factor in longer queue times for dungeons as well though).

The main thing about PoTD/HoH is the leveling floors are pretty easy, even compared to your average dungeon. The party can wipe on occasion, but in my experience that's pretty rare. On one hand, the content is admittedly monotonous and tedious with the lack of challenge, but it's also very easy to 'autopilot' through. Personally I listen to a bunch of podcasts or audio lectures I have queued up for the week when I do PoTD/HoH runs. It's kind of nice to level up a job in the game as a 'background activity' while I listen to my weekly stuff, but I can see why it's not for everyone.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
XP from PoTD/HoH is pretty good, though not sure if it's quite as much as doing the highest level dungeon available (if you're looking into efficiency of exp over time as a DPS, then you probably have to factor in longer queue times for dungeons as well though).

The main thing about PoTD/HoH is the leveling floors are pretty easy, even compared to your average dungeon. The party can wipe on occasion, but in my experience that's pretty rare. On one hand, the content is admittedly monotonous and tedious with the lack of challenge, but it's also very easy to 'autopilot' through. Personally I listen to a bunch of podcasts or audio lectures I have queued up for the week when I do PoTD/HoH runs. It's kind of nice to level up a job in the game as a 'background activity' while I listen to my weekly stuff, but I can see why it's not for everyone.

Yeah definitely not doing HoH lol. I forgot how miserable PotD was. Just two more levels and I can get the fuck out at least.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that Egg Hunt, especially quest #2 is one of the most poorly designed elements of FF14 in the last 1000 hours I've put in.

First of all, the map they give you doesn't even line up with the in-game map and because the letters are so densely spaced if you're one bit off you end up down an entirely different word path. For both quests I had to keep asking the girl until she put the numbers on the hunt map so I can see exactly where they are supposed to be located on that map compared to the in-game map. Maybe they should've given you a way to mark their locations on your map when you find them?

Second of all, this assumes that you know the names of all these generic NPCs named with long names from a random letter generator. And then for quest #2 it's even more insultingly designed because.

Nothing indicates that the person is not located in Old Gridania, like the first riddle was in New Gridania only for the clues and the solution person. So even when the gal spells out the name, if you have no idea who that is you end up spending 20 mins running around Old and New Gridania looking at every NPC name and not finding it and then you google the solution and find out they're in the hut in Central Shroud.

Just seems really poorly designed. Was super glad when it was over.

Yeah it was disappointing.

I usually love the "no hints" quests but this one, mainly because of the map, wasn't fun.

The locations of the NPCs as they/you are on your map doesn't line up well with where the riddle map wants you to look which leads to you not knowing if you are doing it right becase you aren't sure if you are lookining in the right place.

And yeah, the second map's NPC (name and location) wasn't good.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Got Final Omega down earlier this week with my static, sucks we were not able to clear before echo, but we started up pretty late and life kept getting in the way of us going with the full group more often than not. A clear is a cleaer tho :D

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Got Final Omega down earlier this week with my static, sucks we were not able to clear before echo, but we started up pretty late and life kept getting in the way of us going with the full group more often than not. A clear is a cleaer tho :D

You used echo huh?

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Getting the disc for shadowbringers is basically pointless right?

I mean i have heavensward and stormblood. Maybe for the sake of collection them?
Well the physical editions come with a nice box and stuff I guess, but other than that yeah it's pointless, the disc probably will still require a patch(potentially a fairly large one too) and you could just download it all if you have a semi decent connection anyway, especially since I assume the patch will be up several hours before the game actually comes back up(cause you know there's going to be a 1day maintenance or whatever when they do the early access launch).

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
You used echo huh?

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Just in case anyone else is like me and didn't know this meme:

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/04/10/explaining-the-gaming-communitys-newest-joke-about-cheating

Read this post and thought it was super hostile but I guess it's a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.