• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever you can, you should always upgrade your weapon first for any job. Then the rest of the left side stuff, then accessories.
Why do so many people think he's possessed? He's a batshit crazy fascist.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man fuck Wondrous Tails. I did it for the first time and every single shuffle screwed me over. I should've just stick to my 1 line.

Welcome to Hell.

OouVJxN.png

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
So, uh, that last scene before the credits.

What the hell was up with Varis' face? Were they trying to pull a "IS VARIS POSSESSED TOO?!!?!?!?" twist?

I don't think he's possessed. I think he's just that far gone. He's willing to use Black Rose in battle and will probably eventually use it on his own citizens. It's just too bad we probably won't find out until 5.x or 6.0.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's possessed. I think he's just that far gone. He's willing to use Black Rose in battle and will probably eventually use it on his own citizens. It's just too bad we probably won't find out until 5.x or 6.0.

Yeah...I'm not liking what I've seen so far of Shadowbringers. It feels like it's in really bad taste to follow up the story state at the end of this expansion with "ACTUALLY FUCK IT, LET'S GO TO ANOTHER DIMENSION INSTEAD".

And then the painfully dumb gender restrictions on Hrothgar and Viera...and Gunbreaker being a tank...sigh.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...I'm not liking what I've seen so far of Shadowbringers. It feels like it's in really bad taste to follow up the story state at the end of this expansion with "ACTUALLY FUCK IT, LET'S GO TO ANOTHER DIMENSION INSTEAD".

And then the painfully dumb gender restrictions on Hrothgar and Viera...and Gunbreaker being a tank...sigh.

Yeah that's kind of how I feel about it. But I hope it's split at least kind of evenly. The trailer made it seem like Urianger and Matoya are gonna be holding down the fort while the WoL is away. Hopefully we eventually get back to the mother crystal and deal with whatever is going down.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's kind of how I feel about it. But I hope it's split at least kind of evenly. The trailer made it seem like Urianger and Matoya are gonna be holding down the fort while the WoL is away. Hopefully we eventually get back to the mother crystal and deal with whatever is going down.

At the very least, that smug chucklefuck Solus is on the primary key art for the expansion, so the Garlemald storyline isn't completely being forgotten about.

But considering the post-credits scene for this expansion is about Zenos Prime, it feels like the next expansion should be related to the Empire instead of kicking that ball even further down the road.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

Yeah. I lost a lot of interest in Shadowbringers when it was announced we were going world hopping. They were doing a good job setting up the final conflict with the empire in 4.x. I wish they would have finished that story first and gone to another shard in 6.0 or later.

At the very least, that smug chucklefuck Solus is on the primary key art for the expansion, so the Garlemald storyline isn't completely being forgotten about.

He's an Ascian, though. I assume they can travel between shards. He might try to stop the Warrior of Light, independent of his goals on Hydaelyn. I'm not expecting any progress in the Garlemald story in 5.0.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I lost a lot of interest in Shadowbringers when it was announced we were going world hopping. They were doing a good job setting up the final conflict with the empire in 4.x. I wish they would have finished that story first and gone to another shard in 6.0 or later.

Exactly. There was so much effort put into setting up the Empire's state and setting things up for a guerrilla war/slowly recruiting the less-fanatical provinces to side against the Emperor, and now we have to wait two or three more years for the payoff to that so we can do a bunch of random stuff in a world that we've never seen before and that has no direct impact on Eorzea.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for ShB just because it's the first expac that's not connected at all to the 1.0 world/lore. They can make shit up and do whatever they want on the alternate world, should be fun.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I actually forgot why we're going to the First already. Because the Light is gonna kill everyone?

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
We're going there to kill the ascians! Can't deal with Garlemald before you kill the ascians.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Heavensward was pretty much slamming the breaks on the story to dick around in Ishgard and it was the best story they've had so far.

Yeah, but Ishgard was always part of the story. By comparison, this is "Adventures in Earth-2". I don't really have any interest in seeing what Ishgard would be like if they never pissed off the dragons or what Allag would be like if they didn't blow themselves up. Especially not if it involves a bunch of shit that will have zero impact on the main world of the game beyond "congratulations, you averted another apocalypse, Warrior of Light!"

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but Ishgard was always part of the story. By comparison, this is "Adventures in Earth-2". I don't really have any interest in seeing what Ishgard would be like if they never pissed off the dragons or what Allag would be like if they didn't blow themselves up. Especially not if it involves a bunch of shit that will have zero impact on the main world of the game beyond "congratulations, you averted another apocalypse, Warrior of Light!"

Just wait...the current dev team does their best work when they're not tied down to the plot laid out in 1.0. There's a reason Ala Mihgo was the worst part of the Stormblood story. It's like, you knew Ala Mihgo had to be freed, they did it, yay. Now, you know Garlemald has to be overthrown, we'll eventually do that, it will probably be boring. In a sidestory like what we're getting in ShB they can go nuts, it will be fun.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
So if I decide to get into this game, what are the best ways to play without needing to fork over a lot of cash? Are there any discounts for the monthly fees?

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So if I decide to get into this game, what are the best ways to play without needing to fork over a lot of cash? Are there any discounts for the monthly fees?
The game and its expansions go on sale pretty often, especially now with the upcoming release of the new expansion. Within the past few months Twitch gave the base game free, I think the codes are still valid if you want to ask someone for one, and right now SE is giving away the first expansion for free. If you preorder the expansion you'll also get the previous 2 expansions for free once Shadowbringers starts early access at the end of June.

As for discounts on the monthly fee, SE offers standard at $14.99/mo and entry at $12.99/mo. Entry pricing gives you everything standard does except you can only have 1 character per server with a max of 8 while standard you get 8 per server with a max of 40. Honestly it's not a big deal because you can do all the content and level all combat and crafting/gathering jobs on 1 character.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
There's a slightly cheaper monthly subscription (I think it's $2 less a month) that restricts you to only one character, but because of the game's job/class system, that's honestly more than enough.

I usually only do one character anyways with most games.

The game and its expansions go on sale pretty often, especially now with the upcoming release of the new expansion. Within the past few months Twitch gave the base game free, I think the codes are still valid if you want to ask someone for one, and right now SE is giving away the first expansion for free. If you preorder the expansion you'll also get the previous 2 expansions for free once Shadowbringers starts early access at the end of June.

As for discounts on the monthly fee, SE offers standard at $14.99/mo and entry at $12.99/mo. Entry pricing gives you everything standard does except you can only have 1 character per server with a max of 8 while standard you get 8 per server with a max of 40. Honestly it's not a big deal because you can do all the content and level all combat and crafting/gathering jobs on 1 character.

So is crafting not something you can do on the free trial?

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So is crafting not something you can do on the free trial?
You definitely can do crafting/gathering stuff on a trial account. On a trial account though you're limited to a max level of 35, and you also can't send mail and maybe join FCs. I've seen screencaps on Reddit of people maxing all the available jobs to 35 on their trial account before upgrading to the full game.

Edit: There's also no time limit on the trial account so feel free to spend as much time as you like before upgrading.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
You definitely can do crafting/gathering stuff on a trial account. On a trial account though you're limited to a max level of 35, and you also can't send mail and maybe join FCs. I've seen screencaps on Reddit of people maxing all the available jobs to 35 on their trial account before upgrading to the full game.

Edit: There's also no time limit on the trial account so feel free to spend as much time as you like before upgrading.
Very neat! I'll be checking it out once my computer comes together! :) Thanks for the replies everyone!

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Wait, I haven't paid any attention to Shadowbringers since I like staying kinda in the dark in this game and being surprised, but I thought the next expansion is just going to follow the Stormblood model of 3 maps in one local, 3 maps in another to give them a chance to have more variety in locations. Isn't it going to be like 3 maps in new place, 3 maps in Garlemand and finish the Garlamand story?

Would be pretty weird not to after the 4.4/4.5 msq setting that up...

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I haven't paid any attention to Shadowbringers since I like staying kinda in the dark in this game and being surprised, but I thought the next expansion is just going to follow the Stormblood model of 3 maps in one local, 3 maps in another to give them a chance to have more variety in locations. Isn't it going to be like 3 maps in new place, 3 maps in Garlemand and finish the Garlamand story?

Would be pretty weird not to after the 4.4/4.5 msq setting that up...

I think they mentioned all the new maps were going to be in The First.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Remember as well, the story about Garlemald isn't just about the Garleans, it's about the Ascians.

I don't think the 5.0 story is going to be purely unrelated from the main story.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Exactly. There was so much effort put into setting up the Empire's state and setting things up for a guerrilla war/slowly recruiting the less-fanatical provinces to side against the Emperor, and now we have to wait two or three more years for the payoff to that so we can do a bunch of random stuff in a world that we've never seen before and that has no direct impact on Eorzea.
I feel like a lot of people are forgetting the scene in the intro:

We are clearly seeing the Twelveswood burn, and it actually looks like it's Buscarron's Druthers. To me it seems like while we're off in The First, Garlemald will be taking advantage of the situation and advancing. It's become abundantly clear that the WoL is one of the primary reasons that Garlemald hasn't invaded yet, so with us gone there's nothing really standing in their way.

Beyond that, I do recall Not!Ardyn commenting on how Black Rose would be an ideal way to start another Calamity, and how light-aspected aether could transfer through it well. It just so happens that we're going to stop a flood of light, so I wouldn't be too surprised if us having to save the First is intrinsically tied to stopping a worse Calamity in the Source. It's all gonna tie itself together, I think. The Ascians have us caught between a rock and a hard place with this one.

I'm anticipating that the expansion itself will resolve the situation on the First, or at least set it on the course to resolution since Eden will likely be the final conclusion of it. The patches for the expansion will deal with what's happened in Eorzea since we left.

Last edited:

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019

For me, this is actually really encouraging, since I've always thought part of why Heavensward was so great (and why it was better than Stormblood, story-wise) is because they decided to focus on a single thing. We were put on one, largely the same, focused goal and everything was about moving forward on that track. It really gives them the ability to put all their energy into making just one thing work, and all the areas fit the same region. Stormblood faltered for me because of how unfocused it is and how they clearly only did the Ala Mhigo portion as an obligation.

I look forward to it being more like the "one single grand adventure" like Heavensward felt like as opposed to "ugh fine I guess we have to take the player back to Ala Mhigo now."

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of people are forgetting the scene in the intro:

We are clearly seeing the Twelveswood burn, and it actually looks like it's Buscarron's Druthers. To me it seems like while we're off in The First, Garlemald will be taking advantage of the situation and advancing. It's become abundantly clear that the WoL is one of the primary reasons that Garlemald hasn't invaded yet, so with us gone there's nothing really standing in their way.

That forest is the Rak'tika Greatwood. It's a new zone they talked about and it's on the First.

For me, this is actually really encouraging, since I've always thought part of why Heavensward was so great (and why it was better than Stormblood, story-wise) is because they decided to focus on a single thing. We were put on one, largely the same, focused goal and everything was about moving forward on that track. It really gives them the ability to put all their energy into making just one thing work, and all the areas fit the same region. Stormblood faltered for me because of how unfocused it is and how they clearly only did the Ala Mhigo portion as an obligation.

I look forward to it being more like the "one single grand adventure" like Heavensward felt like as opposed to "ugh fine I guess we have to take the player back to Ala Mhigo now."

Yes, this right here!

filkry

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, this for me as well. Stormblood was a very political storyline (not in the sense that it had a political stance, but rather it was about politics). I could use a break from that for some high adventure. I think going to Ilsabard now and rallying the various peoples towards rebellion would be too similar.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018

Oh, wow. From what I'd heard of the expansion (I haven't watched any trailers/footage), I just assumed that all future expansions were now going to copy Stormblood with 2 locations split 3/3 every expansion and that's why there's this side adventure.

Also I sorta figured that the Garlemand expansion would have to be split with 2 locations, because isn't Garlemand just a giant wasteland + huge magitek city? Doesn't feel like there'd be enough variety for 6 maps.

More curious about the new expansion now. Like everyone said, HW's focus on all the maps/story being in one area did wonders for the storytelling whereas Stormblood, while good, had pacing and focus issues going back and forth between the two areas (although I think the split worked better in the post-content where it's just like two separate places that have separate stuff going on (tribes/quest chains).

But yeah it's very, very odd they'd do all that empire stuff in 4.4/4.5 and not follow up so I'm assuming the follow up will be in the expansion, either in cutscenes taking place in the empire or events with the Imperial characters happening in the Shadowbringers location.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
PSA: Now is a good time to start collecting Survival and Engineering manuals for exp boost on crafting and gathering jobs when ShB hits.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
PSA: Now is a good time to start collecting Survival and Engineering manuals for exp boost on crafting and gathering jobs when ShB hits.
Been a good time for a while, especially since you probably want combat ones too, unless your FC has multiple sub FCs to get charged wheels and run the combat buff for an extended period of time(or you're not planning on leveling too many classes at once, personally I have like half a dozen of "must level" already so yeah). The gathering one is probably the least useful other than for fishing though if you do collectibles, since like 80-90% of the xp comes from the turn ins, rather than the actual gathering.

The red scrip stuff can be bought too, it's not great but it's additional xp and if you have enough, it's going to add a fair amount of xp.

My ShB preparations are pretty much done personally, I have everything I need almost, just need 2-3 weeks of genesis for full dancer scaevan(which technically I don't need since I could buy it with poetics after the patch), need to cap poetics again and need to fish ~8HQ fishes for GC daily turn ins preparation, rest is done. Unless Dancer uses Ninja gear, then I need a bit more farming, mostly poetics.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Been a good time for a while, especially since you probably want combat ones too, unless your FC has multiple sub FCs to get charged wheels and run the combat buff for an extended period of time(or you're not planning on leveling too many classes at once, personally I have like half a dozen of "must level" already so yeah). The gathering one is probably the least useful other than for fishing though if you do collectibles, since like 80-90% of the xp comes from the turn ins, rather than the actual gathering.

The red scrip stuff can be bought too, it's not great but it's additional xp and if you have enough, it's going to add a fair amount of xp.

My ShB preparations are pretty much done personally, I have everything I need almost, just need 2-3 weeks of genesis for full dancer scaevan(which technically I don't need since I could buy it with poetics after the patch), need to cap poetics again and need to fish ~8HQ fishes for GC daily turn ins preparation, rest is done. Unless Dancer uses Ninja gear, then I need a bit more farming, mostly poetics.

Hmmm, I never thought of prepping. I've got tooons of the gathering/crafting xp boosters from all the job quests that I never used. Didn't realize there was a +15% xp battle character booster. Will need to grab some of those.

That makes sense for daily turn ins, but once you hit 71 won't the turn-ins all be from Shadowbringers areas? So you're just getting a head start on lvl.70?

And with Dancer, won't you just be able to walk up to a vendor in Shadowbringers and buy gear that'll be pretty close to the Scaevan gear? And since you have crafters/gatherers, you can just gather stuff from the opening map and craft HQ gear that should be on par with or better than Scaevan gear.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
But yeah it's very, very odd they'd do all that empire stuff in 4.4/4.5 and not follow up so I'm assuming the follow up will be in the expansion, either in cutscenes taking place in the empire or events with the Imperial characters happening in the Shadowbringers location.
Its not that odd, theyve had this pattern of setting up beats that are 2 expansions away for a while now. 2.x set up 4.0 with Yugiri, Ilberd, and the Doman & Ala Mhigo refugees, 3.x set up 5.0 with the introduction of the Warrior of Darkness and the first, 4.x is likely setting up 6.0 as the Garlemald/Ascian expansion.

It probably has to do with their 2 year cycle between expansions. I imagine its done this way to give them more time to plot out expansion story beats while .x patches are pushed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.