• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, wow. From what I'd heard of the expansion (I haven't watched any trailers/footage), I just assumed that all future expansions were now going to copy Stormblood with 2 locations split 3/3 every expansion and that's why there's this side adventure.

Also I sorta figured that the Garlemand expansion would have to be split with 2 locations, because isn't Garlemand just a giant wasteland + huge magitek city? Doesn't feel like there'd be enough variety for 6 maps.

More curious about the new expansion now. Like everyone said, HW's focus on all the maps/story being in one area did wonders for the storytelling whereas Stormblood, while good, had pacing and focus issues going back and forth between the two areas (although I think the split worked better in the post-content where it's just like two separate places that have separate stuff going on (tribes/quest chains).

But yeah it's very, very odd they'd do all that empire stuff in 4.4/4.5 and not follow up so I'm assuming the follow up will be in the expansion, either in cutscenes taking place in the empire or events with the Imperial characters happening in the Shadowbringers location.
We're still gonna have a probably "secret" area, each one's had 6 and the towns have never factored into it. Stormblood broke the mold since The Lochs were officially revealed IIRC while Azys Lla was shown prior to launch but I don't think they ever explained what it was.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Hmmm, I never thought of prepping. I've got tooons of the gathering/crafting xp boosters from all the job quests that I never used. Didn't realize there was a +15% xp battle character booster. Will need to grab some of those.

That makes sense for daily turn ins, but once you hit 71 won't the turn-ins all be from Shadowbringers areas? So you're just getting a head start on lvl.70?

And with Dancer, won't you just be able to walk up to a vendor in Shadowbringers and buy gear that'll be pretty close to the Scaevan gear? And since you have crafters/gatherers, you can just gather stuff from the opening map and craft HQ gear that should be on par with or better than Scaevan gear.
Not all I think, daily turn ins seem to pull from the 6 highest you can do, so once you're 71, it should be 3/3 with the 70 ones still. One 72 it's gone, but I only got a couple of each prepared in advance and I'll do the rest as needed, and any excess I'll just sell, people who didn't prepare will buy them just fine so I'm not worried. Same for leves, I prepared a bunch of 68 crafting leves, to turn in right away and a few more to turn in until we get to the leve city(might be right away like Ishgard, but could take a little while like Kugane). Any excess I can sell.

The 15% xp stuff replace the FC buffs and don't stack with them, so for many FCs, they'll probably have aetherial wheels charged up with 15% combat for a few days, maybe even a few weeks but past that I think most will default back to 10% that's why I got a bunch in advance. It's not like it costs anything anyway, might as well get something and other than getting MGP ones for turning in fashion report, there's only really prep for the expansion that's useful and I have already many crafting/gathering ones so I figured I'd get combat ones too.

For scaevan gear, not really. The top tier tome/savage gear is always higher than the entry level gear on vendors. The vendor gear will probably be 385, while Scaevan is 400 upgraded. Scaevan is 73 gear basically, so it's better early on. It's not a huge difference, and you'll be able to buy scaevan with poetics, but it's more about finding stuff to do before the expansion in a way.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone is feeling like a Samaritan but I have a bit of a selfish request. I don't have much Gil and I'm trying to finish out the Zodiac Quest and ran into a bit of a money-block. Does anyone have a spare 1 million gil to give away?....

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
There's 20% exp boosts you can get from the weekly squadron missions. Got a few tucked away for the expansion.

Really matters more for gathering than crafting really. The crafting bonuses don't matter when you can get up to 300% bonus exp from progress (And most of it comes from the first 50% of the bar anyway)

OP
OP
Red XIII

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
Not sure if anyone is feeling like a Samaritan but I have a bit of a selfish request. I don't have much Gil and I'm trying to finish out the Zodiac Quest and ran into a bit of a money-block. Does anyone have a spare 1 million gil to give away?....
I would give it to you but i'm not subbed right now. rip

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Have you tried asking someone to desynth and craft it for you? Cut costs where you can.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
RIP that stuff is super pricey for how lame easy it is to make them now.

I suppose you could use ventures to make some quick money. If they're mining/botanist have them gather crystal shards and sell them for a decent pack of gil. Otherwise I would start investing into crafting now. 1-15 shouldn't cost much hand synthing at your FC (Don't forget the Company Engineering Manual II from your Grand Company) and you can easily level a crafter up from 15-50 through the Ixali. Or you can craft levequests items and just take the NQ exp (or spam and hope you get HQ).

Mining/Botany are pretty easy to get into as well. Not much you can make money off at low levels (Effervescent Water and Silver Ore are the two that I can think of off the top of my head and they're level20 mining nodes).

Besides that. Doma Reconstruction generates decent money (40k if you finished it) and doing roulettes with whatever job is in demand will give you some extra change in the pocket.

I do highly recommend investing into crafting though. Getting all crafting jobs to 50 shouldn't be a challenge and leveling up desynth is a joke more so if you have Bacon Broth (HQ) and Tinker's Calm (HQ). Which will let you skip the middle man and make all the stuff yourself and some extra to make some easy money.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
RIP that stuff is super pricey for how lame easy it is to make them now.

I suppose you could use ventures to make some quick money. If they're mining/botanist have them gather crystal shards and sell them for a decent pack of gil. Otherwise I would start investing into crafting now. 1-15 shouldn't cost much hand synthing at your FC (Don't forget the Company Engineering Manual II from your Grand Company) and you can easily level a crafter up from 15-50 through the Ixali. Or you can craft levequests items and just take the NQ exp (or spam and hope you get HQ).

Mining/Botany are pretty easy to get into as well. Not much you can make money off at low levels (Effervescent Water and Silver Ore are the two that I can think of off the top of my head and they're level20 mining nodes).

Besides that. Doma Reconstruction generates decent money (40k if you finished it) and doing roulettes with whatever job is in demand will give you some extra change in the pocket.

I do highly recommend investing into crafting though. Getting all crafting jobs to 50 shouldn't be a challenge and leveling up desynth is a joke more so if you have Bacon Broth (HQ) and Tinker's Calm (HQ). Which will let you skip the middle man and make all the stuff yourself and some extra to make some easy money.

I'll definitely do that moving forward. Unfortunately I'm dead stopped on my Zeta at the moment.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think about preparing leves turn-ins/gathering collectibles in advance. gonna have to look into that...

Which bit are you on/what do you need?

Someone from my FGO community helped me out and gave me 1 million gil. I think this will get me through the rest of the quest. That being said, I'm wondering if I should rejoin the Era FC. If not, i need to learn how to make gil that isn't going to get super invested in crafting... lol...

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Someone from my FGO community helped me out and gave me 1 million gil. I think this will get me through the rest of the quest. That being said, I'm wondering if I should rejoin the Era FC. If not, i need to learn how to make gil that isn't going to get super invested in crafting... lol...

Haha, okay. If I was around earlier, I'd have either lent you the gil or helped you get/make the stuff you need, etc.

That said, I'm glad you've gotten the help you need

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Any advice on money making would be helpful.

The following assumes your level 70:

One way to make gil: gazelleskin map parties. The maps are cheap (can go as low as 20 - 25k, sometimes less up to like 40 - 50k on Ultros usually).

Parties can either be Free For All (FFA) or Owner of the Map needs/rest greed.

http://heavenswhere.com/

That can be used for finding where your maps are to dig.

Generally in a group of 5+ people with two maps each (or 3 or more if you have some in your retainers), you can make a lot of money for a few hours of fun maps (which often lead to portals to Aquapolis (for level 60 dragonskin maps) and Lost Canals/Shifting/etc (for level 70 gazelleskin maps).

I usually always make back what I spend on the extra maps (if I haven't gathered enough maps with my gatherers since my last map party).

Best was a few days ago or so when I got like 400 - 500k in one group.

And this is only on the gil from the maps/portals. It doesn't include what you get from the drops/treasure.

(I'm a big fan of doing maps haha)

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Besides what I said above, if your retainer is at max level with decent gear, quick exploration can yield things which sell nicely. Or gear that you can trade in for seals and use the seals to buy stuff that may sell for something (you'd need to check the MB yourself before buying anything of course)

Mind you, this is quite random/RNG based so not reliable but can get you some decent gil.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Besides what I said above, if your retainer is at max level with decent gear, quick exploration can yield things which sell nicely. Or gear that you can trade in for seals and use the seals to buy stuff that may sell for something (you'd need to check the MB yourself before buying anything of course)

Mind you, this is quite random/RNG based so not reliable but can get you some decent gil.

What job should I put the retainers on for the ventures?

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I've been sending out 42 retainers for 18 hr ventures on a daily basis and I have more allagan pieces than I can drop on the Doma Reconstruction effort.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
For leveling your ventures the 18 hour will be worth 4-5x the hourly ones. So depending on how 'active' you are on it one might be faster than the other. Granted doing a 18 hour venture daily and doing the highest one you can for your retainer will take 4 months.

Job skips exist for retainers and honestly I wouldn't blame you if you went for them.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
damn. well, props to the dedication then haha.

I ignored them for a month+ so I'm regretting it. I got some 'fresh' retainers that are just breaking level20. Another set that just broke level45, and the furthest are at level56. Outside of my level70 ones on my main that I'm going to really regret because I thought having 1 WHM, 1 SMN, and 1 PLD was a great idea or something.

I shoiuld've just made them all dragoons.

Leveling retainers are fucking garbage and really hope squeenix nerfs them because the upcoming xpac is gonna add like 1 months to leveling fresh retainers to 80

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I only have 2 retainers... is that enough?.... So I just send them out on ventures? That's it? They're level 1 right now.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Two retainers should be plenty enough to get you started off. Extra retainers are pretty pricey (An extra $2/mo for every one) and with the upcoming glamour closet expansion you shouldn't really need it unless you want to hoard all the things.

But yeah just send them out. I'd hit up the shards since they give a good amount of exp and you get something worth selling for gil shortterm.

For 18 hour ventures they only need to hit breakpoints to be able to go out. Specific gathering ventures they need to hit a breakpoint to go on them but extra gathering helps them bring more in.

Fishing, Mining, and Botany retainers only care about Gathering.
DoW/M care about ilv.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but Ishgard was always part of the story. By comparison, this is "Adventures in Earth-2". I don't really have any interest in seeing what Ishgard would be like if they never pissed off the dragons or what Allag would be like if they didn't blow themselves up. Especially not if it involves a bunch of shit that will have zero impact on the main world of the game beyond "congratulations, you averted another apocalypse, Warrior of Light!"
This was always part of the story too. It's pretty disingenuous to pretend that on a grand scale the dragonsong war had any surface level relation to the empire storyline. I have no doubt this will fit into it about as well in the end.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This was always part of the story too. It's pretty disingenuous to pretend that on a grand scale the dragonsong war had any surface level relation to the empire storyline. I have no doubt this will fit into it about as well in the end.

We'll see. I aggressively do not care about The First, though. And I don't want to spend dozens or hundreds of hours dicking around on some other planet when there's TWO fucking Zenos we still have to kill in addition to Varis and Solus.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. I aggressively do not care about The First, though. And I don't want to spend dozens or hundreds of hours dicking around on some other planet when there's TWO fucking Zenos we still have to kill in addition to Varis and Solus.
Ok. And someone else aggressively hates ala migho or ishgard. The reality is there's no way that it literally has no connection to what has been going on, just as Ishgard also connected back in some ways. Unless you know the plot for the expansion and the rest of us don't, I guess.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ok. And someone else aggressively hates ala migho or ishgard. The reality is there's no way that it literally has no connection to what has been going on, just as Ishgard also connected back in some ways. Unless you know the plot for the expansion and the rest of us don't, I guess.

We'll just have to see. But this is the least hyped I've ever been for an expansion because the devs have done literally nothing to make The First as interesting as they clearly think it is. "Oh look, it's Allag but they didn't blow themselves up" or "hey look, it's Ishgard but they didn't kill a dragon and start the Dragonsong War" is cute shit for dungeon lore but not a hundred+ hour expansion.

The downgrade from Ivalice to goddamn Nier Automata for the alliance raid is even worse.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017

There's a point to it and we don't know it yet aside from the fact that us fighting against the empire now would result in a calamity unlike any we've ever seen.

Do we give two fucks about the first? No. Did we give two fucks about Doma before we went to the far east? No. I'm sure we'll find an explanation beyond we need to become the Warrior of Darkness.

The downgrade from Ivalice to goddamn Nier Automata for the alliance raid is even worse.

How dare you.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
The fact we don't know why we're going to the First is what makes it exciting to me. Stormblood was like "ok so we're going to free Ala Mhigo and Doma" right from the start, and there were no surprises. Sure it's interesting to see HOW it happens, but it's still kinda boring, not to mention very mundane stuff. Meanwhile now we're going to a whole other world, and we don't know yet why, everything is still a mystery and I love it because of it. And it's very typical of FF to go to weird places to get something kinda related to the main quest. Especially when the main quest involves killing quasi immortal beings in the first place.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Byakko mount after 3 clears with a 99 roll, on to Tsuku next

Do we know what's likely to be in the up update other than increasing hydratos crystals? Hopefully the glowing zurvan weapons

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Got to remember as well, it's not just "Oh, here is what happens if x didn't happen".

The first evolved in a completely different way so it's more than just that I'd think.

(like how Lalafells are compared to the sources Lalafells haha)

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on a trial and haven't yet upgraded to the base game. When I do though do I use someones RAF code then or is it only until after I buy a sub?

also man I want to buy Shadowbringers but having 6 weeks to only play ARR content sucks, can't get free HW either because playing on Steam.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I'm on a trial and haven't yet upgraded to the base game. When I do though do I use someones RAF code then or is it only until after I buy a sub?

also man I want to buy Shadowbringers but having 6 weeks to only play ARR content sucks, can't get free HW either because playing on Steam.
You can enter a RAF code at any time after registering a key until you actually pay for a sub(so 1month if you sub right after your free time is over, but if for example you stop playing after your free month is over, you could RAF in 2years before you sub).

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decided to log back in yesterday and work through story patches to get ready for Shadowbringers. Think I left it at 4.2 and it's what, 4.6 now? I was so lost. Also, had 7 days playtime on my account. Could've sworn I didn't see any login campaign emails.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
4.5. Expect a trial for 4.3, dungeons for 4.4 and 4.5. You'll need to be ilv i360 or 365 for the 4.5 dungeon so I recommend investing in a i380 crafted weapon at the very least.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
The fact you logged in means you got 7days. You're probably looking at the wrong server, or wrong datacenter.

Other issue no idea, the launcher itself shouldn't have issues with DX11 since it's just a launcher, unless you're running an old windows?
Thanks, the datacenter did it!
One thing you could try is running the 64 bit client. Just edit the desktop shortcut and add 64 just before the .EXE

Tried it, it didn't work. Seems this is an issue that comes up a lot, sometimes associated with ReShade but I never installed that.
In any case, I ended up reinstalling and downloading 30 GB of data again. Oh well.

Thanks for the help!

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4.5. Expect a trial for 4.3, dungeons for 4.4 and 4.5. You'll need to be ilv i360 or 365 for the 4.5 dungeon so I recommend investing in a i380 crafted weapon at the very least.
Just buy one off the marketplace? I have 4 or 5 mil gil anyway.

Best place for armour now? Just do roulettes and get whatever the latest currency is?Think I'm like 340

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
You can enter a RAF code at any time after registering a key until you actually pay for a sub(so 1month if you sub right after your free time is over, but if for example you stop playing after your free month is over, you could RAF in 2years before you sub).

Ok, thanks. Figured I would use someones code, since people offering upwards of 1 mil gil for that.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Ok, thanks. Figured I would use someones code, since people offering upwards of 1 mil gil for that.
Yeah I offered a million for someone to take my last RAF code before, in the end no one took it but that was literally like 2days before the Twitch free account stuff so I just made a new account and RAFed myself.

Definitely worth taking the money though, 1million isn't that much at cap, but it goes a long way for leveling and even early gearing if you want to do Stormblood stuff before Shadowbringers release. And there's 0 downsides to taking a RAF code, it's just free stuff eventually.

Just buy one off the marketplace? I have 4 or 5 mil gil anyway.

Best place for armour now? Just do roulettes and get whatever the latest currency is?Think I'm like 340
If you're in a FC or you're on a server people you know play on, finding a crafter would be a lot cheaper, materials are generally 1/10th to half of the price of the items depending on server economy and "freshness" of the item compared to patch(we're at the end of patch so margins are lower and stuff is more affordable). For armor, mendacity/genesis tomes from various roulettes/dungeon runs should get you there. Mendacity pieces are 360, Genesis are 390. You could also buy more on the market but probably not worth it, and running the highest dungeon you have can generally yield upgrades, depending on where you are.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I think I'm going to have to buy a new security token soon. I have to press the button on mine three or four times to get my one time password.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I think I'm going to have to buy a new security token soon. I have to press the button on mine three or four times to get my one time password.
Make sure you have your emergency removal password set somewhere you can get it in case it fails. Your OTP is on its last legs /cry

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
at what level can you start joining free companies? I want to join you guys on the Era companie but the option is grayed out . I just started the game, am around lvl 9ish now

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Make sure you have your emergency removal password set somewhere you can get it in case it fails. Your OTP is on its last legs /cry

I don't think I even have an emergency removal password. I probably need to find that out. I really don't want to deal with customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.