• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, yeah, rejoined FFXIV and sent an application to the Era Free Company. Level 50 PLD, just need to wrap up the main story and I can get into Heavensward at least.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe about to start jumping into low level duty roulette for my conjurer. How do you guys remember the mechanics of all the duties? Is there a particular source you check? I guess that also applies before going into one for the first time.

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Maybe about to start jumping into low level duty roulette for my conjurer. How do you guys remember the mechanics of all the duties? Is there a particular source you check? I guess that also applies before going into one for the first time.
In terms of guides:
Mizzteq puts up video guides for dungeons, trials, raids on Youtube
The FFXIV Pocket Guide has written guides based on Mizzteq's videos (note that this site does not have all duties is not updated beyond 4.3)
The FFXIV Consolegameswiki's dungeon pages also usually have a section on boss mechanics

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a good way to see if people want to do FATEs? In ESO we have zone chat, but I don't see an equivalent here.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
/shout is what we have in XIV. That goes zone wide.
Thanks! Is it something people typically use? Or am I better off going to find a FC?

Anyhow, just getting back into this and think I'm enjoying it more than ESO. I have a Lv. 43 Lalafell WM on Lamia that I haven't touched in a while, does anyone have any recommendations on guides to get me back to speed?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I just got MSQ Shinryu in the Trials roulette and had MT because the other guy didn't want to. I was not ready. Almost zero memory of that fight.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Is it something people typically use? Or am I better off going to find a FC?
You should definitely join an FC eventually as that has more benefits than just that (i.e. FC buffs for leveling, crafting, teleport costs reduction, MGP bonus). Generally, at least for me, FATEs are what I do when I'm waiting in-between dungeon/roulette queues as a DPS. Or when I'm too lazy to run any instances altogether. You can use /shout and also create a Party Finder saying you're looking to run a FATE train.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
honestly after playing in endgame, every mechanic a leveling dungeon can throw at you is super obvious even if you dont remember it

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should definitely join an FC eventually as that has more benefits than just that (i.e. FC buffs for leveling, crafting, teleport costs reduction, MGP bonus). Generally, at least for me, FATEs are what I do when I'm waiting in-between dungeon/roulette queues as a DPS. Or when I'm too lazy to run any instances altogether. You can use /shout and also create a Party Finder saying you're looking to run a FATE train.
Thanks -- will try looking for a FC!

Also decided to create a character on Ultros where all you wonderful peeps are. Gonna start a GLD to eventually have a PLD tank.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I just got MSQ Shinryu in the Trials roulette and had MT because the other guy didn't want to. I was not ready. Almost zero memory of that fight.
I just did that fight on my WHM alt and god damn I embraced the salt and openly asked

"So how many people are going to die to the first mechanic"

The answer was 4. It would have been 5 but I rescued the BRD to the safe side because of all the people to rescue its going to be the guy who doesn't have knockback immunity.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you have a security token on your account, you get to select one teleport destination to be free, so that's another thing to look forward to.
Seems like a nice bonus, although nowadays I just use tickets to travel any place that costs a bunch. Might be worth putting the free spot in Kugane or the new city if it's expensive to teleport to.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I just did that fight on my WHM alt and god damn I embraced the salt and openly asked

The answer was 4. It would have been 5 but I rescued the BRD to the safe side because of all the people to rescue its going to be the guy who doesn't have knockback immunity.

I like to do that fight every few weeks just to hear the music. There is always at least two people who die to Tidal Wave.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So how does one go about buying a house? I've been running around checking to see if anything's available. Am I doing it right? Does Ishgard have housing? I also hear you can buy apartments for only 500k. I might just do that if I can.

I did the fight again just for practice and me and some other guy were the only survivors of the Tidal Wave. That fight is so much more chaotic than I remember. I don't know how the hell I kept up with where the tail was in Extreme. Maybe it's because I was less busy as WHM.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
So how does one go about buying a house? I've been running around checking to see if anything's available. Am I doing it right? Does Ishgard have housing? I also hear you can buy apartments for only 500k. I might just do that if I can.

I'm going to assume you have no house. In this case you need to get lucky.

When a house is released or auto-demo'd there's a RNG timer that goes up. There is currently no way to find out how much time is remaining to purchase said house so you'll either have to camp it or hope you get lucky and buy it when its up.

If you have a house you can trade plots and bypass the timer. This means someone can snap up the house before the timer is up and another plot somewhere else will become available.

Ishgard does not have housing. Gridania, Limsa, Ul'Dah, and Shirogane (Need access to the zone) have houses.

I did the fight again just for practice and me and some other guy were the only survivors of the Tidal Wave. That fight is so much more chaotic than I remember. I don't know how the hell I kept up with where the tail was in Extreme. Maybe it's because I was less busy as WHM.
I don't find it that hectic but then again I've since I did it on launch my characters have had i350 or i380 crafted gear so a lot of damage is a joke and I'm used to raiding so maybe I'm biased as hell.

Still, 9 out 10 times when someone dies its because they either stood with a tank for Akh Morn or got knocked off. My i380 WHM ass did tank an Akh Morn.

That was fun.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico

If you go the main city crystal (Gridania, Kugane, Ul'Dah, and Limsa), you can check the Housing Wards and you can scroll which plots are free and how much each ones costs. A small house will go about 3 million or so.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Wow. The group I'm in just wiped to the second boss in Syrcus Tower. I've never seen that before.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also hear you can buy apartments for only 500k. I might just do that if I can.

Apartments get you basically everything a house does, just without the gardening and a little bit more cramped. Still plenty of space, though.
Honestly, just being able to expand the apartment a few sizes would go a long way towards alleviating the housing issue.

Wow. The group I'm in just wiped to the second boss in Syrcus Tower. I've never seen that before.

Having raid-wide DPS that low is actually impressive.

Throne

Oct 27, 2017

If this was a day or two ago and the bard was Masquerade Mithra then it was me you rescued lol. Was my 1st time playing.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I have only done that fight one time, so if for whatever reason I did Trials roulette on a 70, that would be very bad

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else play on PS4 Pro?

I'm conflicted. I've been running the game on the 4K setting since the Pro patch has come out... And I swapped just tonight to the 1080p option just to test and man the framerate is sooooooooooooooooooooo much better in most areas. But the 4K option still looks so nice.

I'm conflicted.

4K was never unplayable but the difference in smoothness is easily seen.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ptolemaios

I'm conflicted. I've been running the game on the 4K setting since the Pro patch has come out... And I swapped just tonight to the 1080p option just to test and man the framerate is sooooooooooooooooooooo much better in most areas. But the 4K option still looks so nice.

I'm conflicted.

I do. I use the 1080p option cuz of framerate.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any Guilds on Phoenix (EU - LIGHT DC i believe, i always forget that stuff) that have a need for someone with a 70 ast and 60 whm and 60 war? kinda getting into the game again, probably gonna make war my main now as i always enjoyed tanking the most but i dont mind healing, too.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

I'm conflicted.

Damn it was never unplayable for you? Sometimes I would go 4K in towns but the second I went into dungeons I had to turn that shit off. It was awful. Now I only use 4K when I wanna take screenshots.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Up to about level 8 so far with my new Arcanist. Didn't realise how much I'd miss my mounts lol. I did briefly consider going back to my level 40 (ish) Black Mage but the lack of healing was getting me down when I was struggling so I think it's better to stay with this and work my way up again.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Up to about level 8 so far with my new Arcanist. Didn't realise how much I'd miss my mounts lol. I did briefly consider going back to my level 40 (ish) Black Mage but the lack of healing was getting me down when I was struggling so I think it's better to stay with this and work my way up again.

Missing your mounts? Are you leveling a completely different character on another server?

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Missing your mounts? Are you leveling a completely different character on another server?

Lol yeah. I always planned to start a whole new character as I wanted to pay attention to the story properly this time, the server bit was an accident though. For some reason when I booted up FFXIV it treated it like a brand new install and didn't find my old character until after I created the new one.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Lol yeah. I always planned to start a whole new character as I wanted to pay attention to the story properly this time, the server bit was an accident though. For some reason when I booted up FFXIV it treated it like a brand new install and didn't find my old character until after I created the new one.

Just so you know, in the new expansion there will be a NG+ mode for redoing the story. This would let you relive it without tossing away your progress on the other character.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm conflicted.

In a game like this frame rate is king, especially when you get to later fights.

I even turn down a couple of settings on PC below what the game recommends just to maintain a solid 60 FPS everywhere(well, except Limsa tbh where it drops to low fifties to mid 40s depending on if it is prime time or not)

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's worse is that we ALMOST wiped the second time, but got the adds killed in time.

This guy, right?

EupWits.png

I don't think I've been in a group that has touched the adds in a very long time, lol.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember that when ST launched there was something we had to do with leaving the arena halfway through the fight, now we just ignore mechanics and burn him super quickly

He'd spawn some adds that needed to intercept some power lines or something,, and then there was an intermission phase where you'd go to the platforms and kill some more adds. It was kinda-sorta Cruise Chaser style where everyone who didn't leave would get bopped and die.

Now, as long as at least a third of the raid has a pulse, you'll never seen any of that.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He'd spawn some adds that needed to intercept some power lines or something,, and then there was an intermission phase where you'd go to the platforms and kill some more adds. It was kinda-sorta Cruise Chaser style where everyone who didn't leave would get bopped and die.

Now, as long as at least a third of the raid has a pulse, you'll never seen any of that.
Oh that's right, and it locked you in place as you were taking damage or something. Back when we had 6 tanks for alliance raids you just had tanks take them all

Aran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty this has already been asked plenty of times before but do crossover events come back in XIV? I was planning to jump into XIV thanks to the crossover event with XV but was unfortunately busy throughout all of May.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm pretty this has already been asked plenty of times before but do crossover events come back in XIV? I was planning to jump into XIV thanks to the crossover event with XV but was unfortunately busy throughout all of May.

I've been playing since 2017 and the only ones I have seen come back are the Yokai Watch and Final Fantasy XI crossovers. It doesn't seem like they repeat very often. The Regalia and Noctis outfits should be on the Mogstation in a year. Maybe.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

Holy shit. That sounds kinda cool. I did this raid after I beat SB so I never got to see any of that. How do you wipe against this boss? Lol.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. That sounds kinda cool. I did this raid after I beat SB so I never got to see any of that. How do you wipe against this boss? Lol.

CT in general was way more interesting when you actually had to do things, lol. Once upon a time, it actually mattered where Bone Dragon was tanked, because the Skeles would need to be pulled as far away as possible by the other five tanks to give the best chance to kill them all.
World of Darkness has remained the most immune to the passage of time, since a lot of its mechanics were just straight up "do this or die".

The old MizzTeq video shows how the fight used to work:

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
To this day, I still don't understand Ultros/Primal data center's obsession with tanking Bone Dragon at the far north of the arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.