• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
This has probably been asked a hundred times but can I play this casually, see all the story, and not find the Co op raid stuff too stressful? Will I hti a wall without communicating if I play on PS4?

Final Fantasy XIV is a pretty anti-social game. If you play casually and don't raid, the most you'll see is a "Hello" at the beginning of a dungeon or boss and "gg" or "tyfp" at the end. Most people don't talk to each other during content.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This has probably been asked a hundred times but can I play this casually, see all the story, and not find the Co op raid stuff too stressful? Will I hti a wall without communicating if I play on PS4?

Absolutely. The MSQ does weave through a pretty large host of dungeons, but they're by and large light party (4-man) style and are pretty easy to get through with little effort and little communication. You can play as intro- or extroverted as you like.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Final Fantasy XIV is a pretty anti-social game. If you play casually and don't raid, the most you'll see is a "Hello" at the beginning of a dungeon or boss and "gg" or "tyfp" at the end. Most people don't talk to each other during content.
Absolutely. The MSQ does weave through a pretty large host of dungeons, but they're by and large light party (4-man) style and are pretty easy to get through with little effort and little communication. You can play as intro- or extroverted as you like.
Thanks, I may start with the starter edition. I played a bit on PC ages ago but had poor performance and didn't stick with it.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The trailer was kind of a mess up until the last minute or so when they decided to shoot lore nukes into everyone's brains.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm not sure I'm hyped after the trailer. Not more hyped anyway. I'm the same amount of hyped. It still kinda feels like a filler arc. I didn't really know what was going on but I guess that's a good thing.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm not sure I'm hyped after the trailer. Not more hyped anyway. I'm the same amount of hyped. It still kinda feels like a filler arc. I didn't really know what was going on but I guess that's a good thing.

How can it be a filler arc, when it addresses the fundamental part of what the main character has been doing and why.

Last edited:

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
This expansion will deal with the literal ultimate conflict of the game and people are still calling it filler. I will never understand it.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
what? It feels like the most important story in the history of the game. Ascians, Zodiark/Hydealyn, Garlean stuff. It's the most crucial elements of the underlying lore. Stormblood seems like filler in comparison(not saying it is, but it's more or less the story of another land's rebellion so it's got less to do with the WoL than this stuff).

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the lore bomb they just dropped in that trailer, there is SO much to unpack here.

This arc is the main overarching arc of the entire game though, it's been brought up more times than anything else.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
The informations given at the end of the trailer was predictable...it was just a matter of "when" that would be revealed.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People have been speculating about that particular lore drop for a long while now, and it always seemed extremely plausible to me, so it wasn't super surprising to me. That said, I'm very excited to see where exactly the team runs with it.

And if Middy did some meddling way back when in regards to it.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Did ya'll notice the necklace Yoshi was wearing? The feels.

I bet Yoshi and Koji are cackling after that trailer drop.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
That trailer was so lit. The lore bomb at the end was crazy. I am so hype for the trust system, so I can roll into these dungeons with the fam. Lots of cool shots in the trailer and we are finally getting some Hydealyn and Zodiark story, which I expected, but still.

Really excited for this expansion. I have a lot of good feelings about it. Hopefully it ends up being the best one yet.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Um that seemed like a megabomb lore drop at the end of that.

Theories everywhere confirmed? To trust an Ascian...

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
How can it be a filler arc, when it addresses the fundamental part of what the main character has been doing and why.
what? It feels like the most important story in the history of the game. Ascians, Zodiark/Hydealyn, Garlean stuff. It's the most crucial elements of the underlying lore. Stormblood seems like filler in comparison(not saying it is, but it's more or less the story of another land's rebellion so it's got less to do with the WoL than this stuff).

I guess because I couldn't at all understand what was going on or being said. It felt messy and poorly stitched together. Going into HW and SB I had some idea of what was going on but here I'm just extra lost, especially because you're told almost nothing at the end of SB. I'm not totally on board with visiting a new world yet when I'm more interested in the beef with Garlemald.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it feels alien and foreign to you, it's because it is. As the WoD you are visiting an entirely separate universe with it's own history, jarring species of monsters, and ruined world. You are confused going into it by design. You will learn about it as your character experiences it. Inevitably you will understand why you were drawn into a conflict you originally felt was a world away and thus mattered less.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so excited for the story this expansion, it looks so interesting compared to the blah that was Stormblood. That twist at the end of the launch trailer is insane.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
If it feels alien and foreign to you, it's because it is. As the WoD you are visiting an entirely separate universe with it's own history, jarring species of monsters, and ruined world. You are confused going into it by design. You will learn about it as your character experiences it. Inevitably you will understand why you were drawn into a conflict you originally felt was a world away and thus mattered less.

Yeah I get that it's by design. I feel like I SHOULD be intrigued by the mystery and the new lore but for some reason I'm finding myself longing for the familiar. Seeing Gaius was my favorite part of the trailer. I also wanna see more Zenos. In the end I kinda just told myself "fuck it, I'll understand it when I actually start playing."

Edit: Shit, Gaius AND Estinien I believe. I also missed the lore bomb at the end. I admit that bit was pretty exciting.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I have no idea what the fuck is going on in that trailer but my body is ready.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the trailer without the crowds.

Yeah this was much better. Part of me doesn't care about the troubles of this new foreign world but that lore drop at the end has me pretty excited. I will treat this like the Straw Hats visiting a new island in One Piece. Interesting that they mention Dark Knight. I thought DRK was just the poster boy the it sounds like the job itself is integral to the plot. Maybe I should've leveled that instead of PLD.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Especially after the trailer, I'm pretty excited to see what they do with 'The First' storyline. I think it's neat to see a pretty drastic shift in setting. I don't really mind the whole Garlean conflict plot (and I suspect Shadowbringers will bring that back into the forefront at some point), but at the same time, I do feel the game has told its better stories when the Garlean Empire isn't necessarily the focal antagonist (like HW), and I guess I find it refreshing to see them explore other parts of the game's lore. I suppose it remains to be seen how the Shadowbringers MSQ turns out, but definitely looking forward to it.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I get that it's by design. I feel like I SHOULD be intrigued by the mystery and the new lore but for some reason I'm finding myself longing for the familiar. Seeing Gaius was my favorite part of the trailer. I also wanna see more Zenos. In the end I kinda just told myself "fuck it, I'll understand it when I actually start playing."

Edit: Shit, Gaius AND Estinien I believe. I also missed the lore bomb at the end. I admit that bit was pretty exciting.
unknown.png

hype

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
if anyone wanted to know "who can stop the Empire while we're away" , well, it's those 2.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm if Haedalyn and Zodiark are both primals, and they were originally one being, I wonder if that original being was also a primal. If we believe Solus then he says that the will of the star was made manifest, which I can assume to mean that our star brought the joined Haedalyn/Zodiark being into existence somehow. The game looks to me like it's going to go pretty metaphysical with its story.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
MY FUCKING BANK STOPPED THE CE TRANSACTION. IT WOULD'VE GONE THROUGH IF NOT FOR THAT.

GET A FUCKING TEXT AT 1.23 AM ASKING ME ABOUT IT. What part of 1:23AM on 11/06 is "we'll take payments on 10/06".

Fucking shit all around. And I STILL can't get in to my SE store account.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Yo that trailer was full of spoilers. Shit things are gonna go down!!

i can't believe Zodiark and Hydalean
are primal. Holy shite

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Also I was pretty much already settled on it but I definitely made the right choice in deciding to level DRK first after seeing that trailer.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
This honestly sounds like it will resolve what we have been trying to do since ARR. I'm really excited...

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still torn between going with Dark Knight when it comes out or leveling Gunbreaker first and going through the story with that.

Dark Knight looked so good in the trailer and media tour vids.
I'm going to play 7-8 jobs regularly but I chose DRK first for story reasons mainly. The Sin Eaters and the people in charge of Eulmore seem absolutely vile and DRK is a perfect job to slaughter them with. Plus that sexy-ass 80 AF set.

Status
Not open for further replies.