• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Its interesting to see people look Shadowbringers as a weird side story and then others suggestion the garlean empire thing is also a weird side story. Very different narrative priorities for some

So I know there was that one guy who was a Warrior of Darkness but a Paladin...

But isn't that like incompatible?

Shouldn't a Paladin technically not be able to kill Sin Eaters?
Anything is possible with enough edge.

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
Paladins are called Knights in the japanese version. Aren't they just protectors of the sultanate/Holy See? I always assumed that the holy stuff was added in the localization.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Its interesting to see people look Shadowbringers as a weird side story and then others suggestion the garlean empire thing is also a weird side story. Very different narrative priorities for some

Anything is possible with enough edge.

I think the thing is, people see the Garlean thing as the "main" story because of how it was set up in 1.0 and ended with them pulling down a moon to nuke the country and then we open back 5 years later with them being a threat and then don't really do much with them after 2.0 until SB. So it's like, they have always been the "end goal" of everything and SB was focussed on them and it seemed to be set up to take the fight to them and then we get interrupted to go on a "side quest".

But really, the "main story" is the stuff with Ascians and Hydaelyn and Zodiark and the shattering and the shards etc and Garlemald and Eorzea and Doma etc are all just pieces. And the revelations in SB regarding the Garlean empire should really show us that the whole Ascian plot and Garlean plot are actually closely tied together.

It just really does feel like a side story, even if we will be going deep on light/dark and Hydaelyn/Zodiark and more Ascian fuckery because for like, 2 yeras we've been going full steam ahead on "ah ha! this is our chance!" and gearing up to invade or at least directly engage with Garlemald politically only to get the rug pulled from under us with "actually, this other dimension is trying to summon you for help", even if it will still carry on and provide answers regarding the whole light/dark conflict, the calamities and the Ascians.

I still really want to deal with Garlemald. Just get it over with because while they are a big bad, they aren't THE big bad and at this point we should all know that so it feels wierd to keep putting off that area.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I'm an offline gamer only when I actually get time to game (not often), but I've always been curious about this game and the online LotR title. Sounds like a lot of fun.

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
Queuing MSQ roulette for the first time in forever because of this dumb event and not having ever watched the cutscenes since I hadn't done it since they made them mandatory, I was surprised how much of Lahabrea's dialogue is relevant to Shadowbringers. I remember feeling like there was almost build up to Shadowbringers and that people that just played the game without following much of the media cycle would be blind sided by the premise but I guess it really has been a slow burn for six years.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
Queuing MSQ roulette for the first time in forever because of this dumb event and not having ever watched the cutscenes since I hadn't done it since they made them mandatory, I was surprised how much of Lahabrea's dialogue is relevant to Shadowbringers. I remember feeling like there was almost build up to Shadowbringers and that people that just played the game without following much of the media cycle would be blind sided by the premise but I guess it really has been a slow burn for six years.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/bza8cv/so_i_was_looking_back_through_old_cutscenes_and_i/

3Z0vmPY.png

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Paladins are called Knights in the japanese version. Aren't they just protectors of the sultanate/Holy See? I always assumed that the holy stuff was added in the localization.
They're called Knights because that's the traditional FF job but they're still the same and are often also referred as Paladin in official japanese material(for example the official job guide https://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/paladin/ lists it as Paladin in big letter then ナイト in smaller letters which is Knight). Their abilities are also themed around holy stuff, with the most obvious ホーリースピリット Hori Supiritto(Holy Spirit, same name in katakanas) and ディヴァインヴェール Divain Veru (Divine Veil). Sorry for any mistake my japanese is rusty and I used google a bunch to help.

It's just in the lore, having holy themed stuff doesn't really mean all that much, it uses probably light aether and you shape it a certain way, but it doesn't make it literally Holy or Good or Light or whatever.

And being the Warrior of Darkness is also not really an actual thing, it's just a title. The same way Dark Knights are fine being the Warrior of Light, it just means they're the "good" guys, not that they literally are made of Light or can only use the Light. It'd be pretty annoying for Dark Knights and Black Mages if they could not pull dark aether to make their stuff.

Last edited:

Vulnicura

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man 90% of my hype for Shadowbringers is the music. The music at this part of the E3 trailer:

The eScape remix used in the job actions trailer:

Give it to me. Give it to me now.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
They charged me today for the digital CE. Wish we could register now and get it out of the way, but it still doesn't give me a code.

Takatomon

Oct 25, 2017
They're called Knights because that's the traditional FF job but they're still the same and are often also referred as Paladin in official japanese material(for example the official job guide https://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/paladin/ lists it as Paladin in big letter then ナイト in smaller letters which is Knight). Their abilities are also themed around holy stuff, with the most obvious ホーリースピリット Hori Supiritto(Holy Spirit, same name in katakanas) and ディヴァインヴェール Divain Veru (Divine Veil). Sorry for any mistake my japanese is rusty and I used google a bunch to help.
If you look at only the ARR skills, there's nothing holy about it, though. It looks like they decided to lean on the "Paladin" thing in japanese with HW.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
If you look at only the ARR skills, there's nothing holy about it, though. It looks like they decided to lean on the "Paladin" thing in japanese with HW.
But the ARR skills in the english version aren't holy either, most of them are just direct translations of the japanese ones, most of which are already in english anyway. Was mostly answering the "localization is what made Paladin holy and in the japanese version it isn't". It's the same really. I'd argue that even then, a skill like Rage of Halone(again, exact same skill in the japanese version) implies some sort of link to divinity, Halone being a Goddess, one of the Twelve. Also technically in ARR, PLD was the only non healer job to be able to slot Cure, Protect, Stoneskin and Raise, so even back then there was a certain affinity since all these were Conjurer skills.

In general in past FFs, Knight is just the name of the "Paladin" class archetype. A defensive warrior upgrade/sidegrade that can most often Cover and/or use White Magic. Even just the fact it's called Knight(in katakanas), and not Kishi or something similar suggests a more western influence, such as the Holy Knight/Paladin/Templar archetype of RPGs.

This isn't really a localization thing for FFXIV, the class in the japanese version is also "holy" themed, and it has been in many of the past Final Fantasy.

Oct 26, 2017
You could say White Mages are holy themed but even they don't use powers from some god.

The Sultansworn/Paladins don't have any direct connections to a god as well IIRC. They're there to protect the Sultana.

It's all manipulating aether.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Technically no job is connected to god or something "holy", its all about aether manipulation. Primal aether, voidsent aether, environmental aether, self-esteem/emotion driven aether, personal aether, stars aether etc.

Well, if you count primal as gods then it's a different story.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
So you're saying tanks have easier to play then DPS? I remember getting stressed playing as a tank,, worrying I wasn't "tanking" enough. This was still early in the main story
The tankiness is legitimately built in with tank stance plus the extra vitality. Right now you can go into any dungeon with standard gear and still manage to go pack by pack.

Legitimately the only time I've had issues with incoming DPS is inside Bardam's Mettle and Doma Castle because for some reason the devs decided to scale up the defense in the tank armor sets in Stormblood and once you get past lv63 it becomes noticeable with larger pulls.

Tank stance, grab a pack, aoe them down. Repeat until dead.

Otherwise I just press cooldown when I recognize an attack that might hurt (Or during trash pulls just rotate through them to make me less squishy).

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Saw on Reddit they updated the FFXIV albums on Spotify to show the English song titles now. Now I can finally identify the names of all these songs I favorited lol.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
The tankiness is legitimately built in with tank stance plus the extra vitality. Right now you can go into any dungeon with standard gear and still manage to go pack by pack.

Legitimately the only time I've had issues with incoming DPS is inside Bardam's Mettle and Doma Castle because for some reason the devs decided to scale up the defense in the tank armor sets in Stormblood and once you get past lv63 it becomes noticeable with larger pulls.

Tank stance, grab a pack, aoe them down. Repeat until dead.

Otherwise I just press cooldown when I recognize an attack that might hurt (Or during trash pulls just rotate through them to make me less squishy).
What's the best tank class for a beginner? I wanna finally use one.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
What's the best tank class for a beginner? I wanna finally use one.

IMO Paladin is by far the simplest. It was my first tank because of this (think of it basically as the WHM of tanks) but after I grew more comfortable in the role I definitely look back on the job as being a bit boring in comparison. I personally like DRK but it's completely changing in two weeks so there's no point in trying to learn it now, and I actually think Warrior is more difficult for people *completely* new to tanking since its AoE threat move is a conal so you need to position things slightly more carefully or you'll get the old one-of-the-enemies-wandered-off-and-oh-the-healer-is-dead-now situation which is a motivation killer for new tanks. I do think it has a higher skill ceiling and is super fun to play though, especially if you like big fat DPS numbers.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I have so much tank armor sets from grinding raids and cant even use it!

IMO Paladin is by far the simplest. It was my first tank because of this (think of it basically as the WHM of tanks) but after I grew more comfortable in the role I definitely look back on the job as being a bit boring in comparison. I personally like DRK but it's completely changing in two weeks so there's no point in trying to learn it now, and I actually think Warrior is more difficult for people *completely* new to tanking since its AoE threat move is a conal so you need to position things slightly more carefully or you'll get the old one-of-the-enemies-wandered-off-and-oh-the-healer-is-dead-now situation which is a motivation killer for new tanks. I do think it has a higher skill ceiling and is super fun to play though, especially if you like big fat DPS numbers.
Thank you! and yes I see that all the time. as an occasional healer I just run over to the tank so they immediately see I'm running for my life lmao Also I dont even think I can get dark knight right now since I have to get to heavensward and I'm still going through post game ARR content which seems like there's constantly a new lvl 50 quest at every corner.

Warrior is probably the most straightforward (and also the best right now). Keep in mind that DRK/PAL will be changing significantly in a few weeks with the expansion, though.
good to know. I dropped summoner / scholar for the same reason just as I was getting used to them. Relearning everything is gonna be a pain.

Edit: Also any advice for a white mage doing the lvl 50 raids. Right now I'm only comfortable doing the 4 person dungeons like Stone Vigil and Aurum Vale right now. Basixally stuff below lvl 50. Seems kinda daunting trying to keep double the amount of people alive and dodging stuff left and right like in World of Darkness.

Last edited:

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Even AOEs are free of resources right?

I thought they were going to move at least those to use MP instead, I imagine there will be a good bunch of people trolling using AOEs on bosses and such.

Euphony

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even AOEs are free of resources right?

I thought they were going to move at least those to use MP instead, I imagine there will be a good bunch of people trolling using AOEs on bosses and such.
Yep, anything that used TP now is free to spam which is great. TP management for dungeon packs was so annoying, doubly so when you have DPS who never use Goad or Tactician.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the Lucky Bancho numbers back up what Yoshi was saying at the conference the other day- they counted the highest number of active players ever, and it's over 1 million for the first time since they've been doing the census. That's great news for the game.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
It looks like the Lucky Bancho numbers back up what Yoshi was saying at the conference the other day- they counted the highest number of active players ever, and it's over 1 million for the first time since they've been doing the census. That's great news for the game.

They're at the point now they can basically just keep giving away ARR and even HW for free and lose nothing from it, really. Not surprised the numbers have gotten up - they've been really good at these campaigns and their approach with content in SB (with Eureka especially) has been good at keep people playing over time when they otherwise wouldn't have. Not to mention, virtually everyone is prepping for the expansion in two weeks. No bad side to any of it.

(It's also good to know these unofficial numbers seem fairly reliable.)

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
My game's gotten really stuttery recently, not sure what's happened but it always used to run smooth. Every other game is fine so I don't think it's the SSD

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
My game's gotten really stuttery recently, not sure what's happened but it always used to run smooth. Every other game is fine so I don't think it's the SSD
Can always use the time before the expansion to delete everything and do a fresh install. Just upload your settings to the cloud on the character selection screen stuff, uninstall, double check for any left over files in the directory and in My Documents(don't delete benchmark stuff if you made a char save for a Fantasia though) and then reinstall. Could be some shitty cache/log files or whatever. Other than that double checking graphical options and checking drivers(reverting to older ones to check if you already have last ones).

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

Now Square Enix will give them $1000 for budget, instead of $100!

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Hey guys, I'm interested in trying out the game, any tips or suggestions?

There's a free trial you can play up to level 35, if you aren't sure you want to buy it.

freetrial.finalfantasyxiv.com

Play FINAL FANTASY XIV's Free Trial

Become the Warrior of Light, and fight to deliver the realm from certain destruction. Play the Free Trial up to level 70 for FREE with no restriction on playtime!

If you do decide to buy it, don't buy the Steam version. The Steam version is always tied to Steam. If there are any sales on the PC version, you can't buy it and use it with steam.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a free trial you can play up to level 35, if you aren't sure you want to buy it.

freetrial.finalfantasyxiv.com

Play FINAL FANTASY XIV's Free Trial

Become the Warrior of Light, and fight to deliver the realm from certain destruction. Play the Free Trial up to level 70 for FREE with no restriction on playtime!

If you do decide to buy it, don't buy the Steam version. The Steam version is always tied to Steam. If there are any sales on the PC version, you can't buy it and use it with steam.
yeah, that's what I'm doing

Oct 26, 2017

Could be game mode.

Graphics drivers causing an issue for some reason.

Wallpaper change setting that changes your background at set intervals.

Could try turning off Microsoft full screen optimization.

Could be your GPU trying to kill itself like mine requiring lowering the core clock in afterburner by -200.

Could be a heat issue.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
What's the live letter tomorrow about?
The announcement says the following:

The fifty-second installment of the Letter from the Producer LIVE will be brought to you live from Los Angeles, California. In preparation of the upcoming early access to Shadowbringers, we'll be covering information regarding battle content, the Trust system, adjustments to Disciples of the Hand and Land, and more!

Source

I'm personally excited to hear about crafting, gathering, and the restoration of Ishgard.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm personally excited to hear about crafting, gathering, and the restoration of Ishgard.

He's talked a bit about it.

Q: Let me ask about Crafters and Gatherers next. New skills, changes for current skills, is there anything you can tell me at this point?

Yoshida: Because of some Byregot skills, you had to level crafters in a specific order so far. We decided to give these skill to all crafters. So from now on, you can start with any crafter of your choosing. Our aim wasn't to balance the crafters, but to get to a point where you were able to start "Crafting" with any of the crafting classes. There is no big system change for Crafters or Gatherers, but we tried to make them more accessible and fun to play. For example, we have made changes so that you can see how much progress a synthesis skill would give you

Q: The basics of crafting and gathering remain the same?

Yoshida: Yes, for Crafters, using HQ materials will give you a higher starting Quality than so far. It will be even easier to make HQ crafts now, if you use HQ materials. Small QoL changes.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I always get confused by this.

I've already redeemed my pre-order code for the things like the earrings and the minion and stuff and I got my confirmation e-mail for about the collectors edition being shipped and all.

What other code do I need to enter for ShB? Or am I all good?

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I always get confused by this.

I've already redeemed my pre-order code for the things like the earrings and the minion and stuff and I got my confirmation e-mail for about the collectors edition being shipped and all.

What other code do I need to enter for ShB? Or am I all good?
Code you'll get in the box, you'll enter it on another website(maybe the same not sure) and then enter the code that gives you on the mogstation to confirm you have the full version. You'll have until 1week after launch for the grace period assuming it's the same as usual. They'll explain that when it goes up, probably a week before launch.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
D8-ZbFpUwAAU4rv.jpg:large

YoshiP and me are totally buddies now. He still hasn't accepted my friend request, but sure it will happen any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.