• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.gamerevolution.com/featu...lks-dlc-final-fantasys-future-nintendo-switch

On FFXV's narrative issues:
GR: ONE OF THE NEWEST UPDATES WILL "FILL IN PLOT HOLES." DID ANYONE NOTICE THOSE PLOT HOLES IN DEVELOPMENT, AND IT WAS JUST TOO LATE TO TURN BACK? AT WHAT POINT DID YOU NOTICE THOSE?

TABATA: While developing the game, up until release, we didn't have that awareness. It was hard to see (things that required more explanation). What we valued most highly was that core experience of goin gon a journey with your friends. In order to realize that, we wanted to have enough content in there to make it feel right and to feel like that works. We were more worried about, "If that's the full 100%, how much is that is story, combat, the adventure?"

We put everything we had into it. We put our lives on the line. We were like madmen just trying to complete the game. At that time, we just couldn't see outside of that, just had to focus on getting the game out. Obviously, after we released the game, we started getting feedback, and then we started to realize maybe some things weren't as fully explained as they could've been.

GR: SO USER FEEDBACK PLAYED A PART IN NOTICING SOME OF THOSE (PLOT HOLES)?

TABATA: User feedback was important, but it was also important for us to take that step back and take a look at what we'd made, as well. To complete a game, you've got to make the decision at some point, to say, "No, that's where we have to stop." You're going to face that issue. There's no team out there that completed a game and didn't have any regrets -- that thinks what they've put out is perfect.

Looking back, we see things and think we could've, but, no we [had so much going on that we] couldn't have put them in. You only see after you've completed (development of) the game.

Going back and doing that was a really great opportunity and learning experience for us. I'm very glad that we made that decision.

On the series demographic:
GR: WELL, I TEACH A WIDE VARIETY OF STUDENTS, SO, SOME HAVE SMARTPHONES, YEAH.

TABATA: There are lots of people, we're finding out now, whose first encounter with Final Fantasy was through a smartphone game.

GR: OH WOW, I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT.

TABATA: We did a survey recently about people in their teens, and we asked where they first encountered Final Fantasy, and about 70% of them said it was a smartphone game...

That's why I think if you just sweep it away and do a companion app and say "Okay, we'll leave it at that," that's not going to work properly, if you don't make a proper entry to the series that way. That would put a barrier up, to the series in the future, if we didn't take into account what these people are actually playing games on.

GR: MY MIND IS BLOWN. IN THAT SURVEY, WHAT GAME WAS IT, THAT THEY POINTED TO?

TABATA: I don't remember exactly the title, but it was a free download. The sort of thing that's completely different than what a longtime series fan would've said was their first Final Fantasy game.

But then, in that survey, the people who played this game, they didn't pay any money for it, and practically none of them would go on to play the console games, so I thought that was a really bad thing.

GR: WAS IT ALL THE BRAVEST?

TABATA: Which one was All the Bravest?

GR: I'VE NEVER PLAYED IT, BUT I KNOW IT HAS A BUNCH OF CHARACTERS IN A STRAIGHT LINE AND UH....

SQUARE ENIX USA: It's like a tactics-style game.

TABATA: [The survey participants] didn't always say the name of the game, they'd just say, "Oh it was a smartphone game."

GR: I FIND THIS FASCINATING.

TABATA: That's where we're at now, demographically. Final Fantasy has traditionally attracted [players] mostly in ages up through their 30s and 40s, but with Final Fantasy XV, we've taken that down. The majority of our audience is like in the early 20s. That's not an easy ting to do. It's really hard to expand the age range and demographic of a series.

In order to do that, you can't just look at things from your own subjective perspective, you have to go out and see how things are, on the ground. Then you've got to create information that appeals to those people and gets to them, in the media that they watch and that they do. It wasn't an easy thing to do. It was a hard, hard thing.

Much more at the link.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Dear goodness, I can't believe they didn't see the plot holes at all...

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can. Games are gigantic projects with so many elements, and when you're pushed for time and focusing on the details (which is necessary) its easy to see how they 'couldn't see the wood for the trees'. Not that that's an excuse, I just can see how it happened.

With a less time pressured project, I imagine the team would do a lot better.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
HAJIME TABATA: Hey did you read this story online that says I'm bringing Final Fantasy XV to Switch, using Unreal Engine?

GAMEREVOLUTION: NO, I DIDN'T. IS THAT TRUE?

TABATA: No.

GR: CAN THE SWITCH EVEN RUN FINAL FANTASY XV?

Tabata: No it can't.

They need better communication. The story changes with every interview.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
I can. Games are gigantic projects with so many elements, and when you're pushed for time and focusing on the details (which is necessary) its easy to see how they 'couldn't see the wood for the trees'. Not that that's an excuse, I just can see how it happened.

With a less time pressured project, I imagine the team would do a lot better.
Normally I'd agree, but seeing how simple the story was(or at least felt), the only way I see it happening is if they did the content and forget they cut it...Well I guess I just answered to myself haven't I? Developing this title must've been hell...

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's clear Tabata is still learning a lot from XV, on a personal level even.

The guy still has a lot of room to grow, hope these lessons will take form in his new IP.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So far I'm still wondering what plot holes are being filled except the ones they set up themselves for DLC. So far we learned nothing, and the fixing of chapter 13 only added an alternate route and some tweaks that did not change the experience at all, just made it overall longer as if it was what's important.

I don't buy that they're fixing anything, they're just hinting at it to push for an endless stream of consumption

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
They need better communication. The story changes with every interview.

Seriously. One minute the guy is talking about bringing the game to a system that rhymes with Twitch, the next he is talking about Unreal Engine, and then the next he is dismissive of the whole thing. Maybe they finished their internal testing and determined it's just not possible to bring the game to Switch. But then, like, don't say anything before that is concluded...

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming the Final Fantasy mobile game they played was either Brave Exvius or A New Empire, as those have 27 million and 29 million downloads respectively.

All The Bravest wasn't actually a popular title.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do they keep flip flopping on this topic.
Either commit to an answer or better yet don't say anything if they are not sure yet ...
I'm pretty sure its just been bad journalists over-reading comments.

EDIT: Actually that's not fair. He definitely did say they were looking in to Switch. But everything I've read from him suggests it'd have been the pocket version and nothing more.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Even if they fix all the plot holes Im not sure I ever want to pick this game up again. Also did they ever actually state they were in Switch development for XV?

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hajime Tabata: Hey did you read this story online that says I'm bringing Final Fantasy XV to Switch, using Unreal Engine?

GameRevolution: No, I didn't. Is that true?

Tabata
: No.

GR: Can the Switch even run Final Fantasy XV?

Tabata: No, it can't.

lol
Did this really need to be so spelled out for people? If we get anything on Switch its that Pocket Version.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm assuming the Final Fantasy mobile game they played was either Brave Exvius or A New Empire, as those have 27 million and 29 million downloads respectively.

All The Bravest wasn't actually a popular title.

It couldn't be A New Empire, right? That one just came out way after FFXV launched.
Could also be FF Record Keeper or Mobius Final Fantasy. Those 2 are quite popular.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't bought anything DLC related from XV even though I got the platinum for it.

I really hope it fixes the issues with the story

XenoKefka

Oct 30, 2017
Great interview.

Too bad for FFXV on the Switch. I'd like to see it happen even if I realize it is unlikely.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
So far I'm still wondering what plot holes are being filled except the ones they set up themselves for DLC. So far we learned nothing, and the fixing of chapter 13 only added an alternate route and some tweaks that did not change the experience at all, just made it overall longer as if it was what's important.

I don't buy that they're fixing anything, they're just hinting at it to push for an endless stream of consumption
Last month they added a cutscene about the gods' lore and extended a scene with Luna and Gentiana in Chapter 12. The substantial story updates are coming in 2018. See: https://www.resetera.com/threads/final-fantasy-xv-episode-ignis-out-dec-13.2548/page-4#post-312410

Even if they fix all the plot holes Im not sure I ever want to pick this game up again. Also did they ever actually state they were in Switch development for XV?
Only that they were making tests and evaluating. They never outright said it's 100% in development. Many read too much into those comments.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...o-get-full-fat-final-fantasy-15-on-the-switch

A few days later he clarified:
Q. Lastly, over in the West, information has become confused on whether FFXV is coming or not coming on the Switch. What do you have to say about this?

Tabata: Ahh, yeah, it's gotten very confusing. We shouldn't cause trouble with other companies, but I am going to say this bluntly.

We have "no" plans at this current time to release FFXV on the Switch

Never the less, the Switch is a hardware that we love as well. We are however testing to see what can be made and the technology at this time. Currently we are using an engine that we have created and we are considering whether if we should continue to optimize the engine for the hardware or it's better to use Epic's Unreal Engine. In this situation Nintendo and Epic are both sharing the weight. ……And somehow saying this to the world, for some reason people assumed we were making a Switch version. I won't deny the possibility of the future, but really we really honestly don't have any plans.

For now, our goal is to release the Pocket Edition and PC Edition for a new audience to enjoy and allow existing fans to continue to enjoy with additional content. We just want people to enjoy the FFXV Universe next year.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Personally I hope Tabata is able to accomplish all he wants and more.

I adored Type-0's tone and heart breaking ending. I adored the OST, and even the multiple playthroughs to get alternate quests and music video unlocks. FFXV was rough at the start, but his continued dedication won me over again. Most developers wouldn't (and simply do not) go to the lengths that he and his team are going to try and right their wrongs. They earnestly want to fix what they put out and get better in the eyes of old fans.

I respect that a lot. Can't freakin' wait for his next project. Tabata has learned so much since his Crisis Core days.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
I feel for Tabata. He comes across as an honest and open dude and I think sometimes what he says comes back to bite him because his openness is misinterpreted as fact. Game development is a gigantic beast (I work in the industry) and I can see how it's easy to get tunnel visioned. Of course that's not to say they should be excused, as it's still evident that SE's AAA Development needs better management and handling, but still, can't knock Tabata for his interviews too much as his heart seems to be in the right place, which can be hard working in corporate Japan.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
really looking forward to this next project, still would love to know everything about Versus.

Hope his next project is about Agni.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
I hope I won't insult anyone with this.

But can't they just move on? FFXV was a complete failure as a product even if it sold well thanks to the marketing, its time to just forget it and move on.
I know they have different divisions for FF7r and KH3, but still, just put all FFXV workers on those projects. Just DO IT.

I never want to hear or see new topics about Tabata talking about new patches, the "future of FFXV" or other new additions to the game again. FFXV is a 5/10 game and it is dead.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
On the one hand I'm happy they're acknowledging the narrative issues and want to fix them, on the other... filling plot holes a year after release? guuuurl

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

What Nirolak said.
Also, from what I've played, Mobius does not rely so much on nostalgia of past FF, unlike Brave Exvius and Record Keeper.
It is sort of if SE has to make a mobile Final Fantasy game.
It still has elements like jobs, crystals, mog, etc but everything else looks new.
I always got impression that Mobius borrows more from Chaos Rings, which is an original mobile game series owned by SE.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Ya know

When I thought about the milking of a major release and assets.... I almost want them to make more spin off original content instead of forcing us to stay with FF15 world and characters

Am I being crazy here? I just feel overwhelmed and beat over the head with FF15 right now

Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily mind the DLC stuff which was promised filling some stuff in (Episode Ignis and so forth) and the free updates have been decent enough, but at this stage you do feel at some point it has to just update to a 'directors cut' and be the final vision because I want to replay but only when all narrative updates and DLC are done. Interesting he states the DLC plan now continues to the end of next year though. I wonder how significant the content will be? (likely Ardyn and Luna based off the survey results). Also, what this might tell us about the release schedule of FF titles for next year as it would suggest there won't be anything significant released in the series bar Dissidia.

Last edited:

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Tabata' response to all the bravest was hilarious , same with the switch port for ffxv xD

Not surprised if brave exvius is the game he was referring to. I prefer record keeper myself though.

Btw that was a great read.

Kamolahy

Oct 27, 2017

Absolutely not hard to see how that could happen. As a creative professional, it's amazing what can sometimes get past you when you're overworked, pressed to a deadline and incredibly close to a project. Clarity is a luxury in those kinds of projects. At a certain point, you just have to get people in front of it to get their feedback.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that he just wanted to focus in the buddy roadtrip and rush everything out of the gates is just... Sigh.

I don't know guys, but I simply lost faith in their teams. They are on a losing streak in their stories since FF12.

Llazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still want Versus XIII...
There has been a rumour going around for while that Nomura is working on a versus 13 reboot called versus xv although its most likley fake. But hey I remember when 4chan leaked the entire xv plot months in advance so you never know with these things.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I do storyboards for a living, and near the bum rush for the end, it's always a precarious line to walk where you need to cut stuff out for time or compromise, and you lose your objectivity if something still makes sense or not, because you have all those cut scenes in your head. Ideally you'd have the time to watch the final product and get some fresh eyes on it, but with a 50 hour game worked on by 300 sleep-deprived people that already had what was probably a costly delay, the snowball was probably far too big to stop at that point.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

But can't they just move on? FFXV was a complete failure as a product even if it sold well thanks to the marketing, its time to just forget it and move on.
I know they have different divisions for FF7r and KH3, but still, just put all FFXV workers on those projects. Just DO IT.

I never want to hear or see new topics about Tabata talking about new patches, the "future of FFXV" or other new additions to the game again. FFXV is a 5/10 game and it is dead.

I do want them to keep working on FFXV and the comrades multiplayer mode. so you know. I think its time for people like you to move on and just leave the game alone. We get it, you don`t like it - no one is forcing you to play the new content. And stop this delirious dream of ~if FFXV never existed everyone would be working on FF7R and KHIII instead~, this is not true, and since you people hate FFXV so much, would you even want to?

Seriously, just move on. Let the people who enjoy the game enjoy the updates in peace. It's not worth it to be so sour about a game like this

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

They already have assigned 30% of the FFXV team (BD2) to other teams' projects after the release and that's more than enough; you can't dissolve every BD completely after a project is finished. They still need people working on the promised DLCs, multiplayer, VR, (maybe other projects they haven't yet revealed), regular patches etc. And also they have their next game they already started working on (new IPand not FFXVI, which you can be sure is already in development too at the FFXII/FFXIV/TLR-team BD5).The FFVIIR team has been hiring recently anyway since the shift to internal development was announced and they're better off with people they know they can keep for the duration of the whole project.

Oh, and another point: Tabata and his team clearly have regrets about the game's shortcomings and are bothered about the negative feedback, but they just couldn't do more with the time and energy they had. Also you can consider FFXV post-launch to be a kind of training and test bed for their new IP, which will build on its foundation and probably be even more ambitious (I could see it be even more Action-y).

However, of course, you have to draw a line somewhere and move on, which they will do next year finally. If I'm totally honest, I didn't necessarily want another year of FFXV DLC either and it would've been good to wrap it up after Episode Ignis, maybe with a Definitive Edition for PC early next year. Well, let's see if the free story updates next year will improve the game's narrative substantially. Will be interesting to follow.

Last edited:

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily mind the DLC stuff which was promised filling some stuff in (Episode Ignis and so forth) and the free updates have been decent enough, but at this stage you do feel at some point it has to just update to a 'directors cut' and be the final vision because I want to replay but only when all narrative updates and DLC are done. Interesting he states the DLC plan now continues to the end of next year though. I wonder how significant the content will be? (likely Ardyn and Luna based off the survey results). Also, what this might tell us about the release schedule of FF titles for next year as it would suggest there won't be anything significant released in the series bar Dissidia.

I'm in the same boat. I want to play it once they are done with the updates

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So... the updates won't stop until the end of next year? And to think that here are some people who have the game but want to wait until they're done for good...

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Don't click on the topic and then comment on FFXV threads ? The world doesn't revolves around you, you thinking FFXV a failure doesn't mean it's objectively a failure, there are lots of people enjoying the game despite the flaws. I enjoyed FFXV, and doesn't think it as a failure, what makes your opinion more right than mine ? Why should SE listen to you and not me regarding their decision to support the game ?

There are people who still interested in seeing the support FFXV received, why should people stopped posting news regarding the game just because you don't want to see it ? I don't care about gacha game like Fire Emblem Heroes, I don't go my way telling people to stop posting threads about it.