• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Any reason Ice weapons are objectively better than any other weapon in basically eveyr situation? They dealing more damage to single targers that dedicated single target killer, fire, they also stagger them, and have super armor, making you harder to interrupt, and build up multiuplier super fast... they are just objectively only weapon worth using, outside of like, switching to others just to dump your clarity attack
Lol, I actually thought the same. Used it the most.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i think it's possible since Ardyn and Luna are guaranteed for next year imo.. now the third and final dlc that's where things get tricky since no one knows what could they possibly focus on. I just hope we get more info this weekend at jump festa about the roadmap.
Id really like it to be noctis's
10 years.Its the only thing that the story is gravely missing. Ravus got plenty of fair treatment in this episode . That or do a post game arc with the alt ending.

Last edited:

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Really makes you appreciate him more when you use him ROFL

Okay i'm assuming the alt. ending for this episode is basically this:

That part when Noctis defeats Ardyn and he asks whether or not he's going to banish the daemons or erase him from history again? It's basically option #2; Ardyn is defeated but Noctis refuses to sacrifice himself to destroy his soul.

Also, since i love for my predictions to be confirmed:

I was right -- Izunia was Ardyn's brother. That explains both how the crystal could choose another chosen, and Ardyn still hold the power of kings -- they both held it from birth.

Last edited:

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Really makes you appreciate him more when you use him ROFL
1375735945_black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

Id really like it to be noctis's <spoiler>
10 years.Its the only thing that the story is gravely missing. Ravus got plenty of fair treatment in this episode . That or do a post game arc with the alt ending.
I really want that but then that's what comrades is for i guess, but then i'm with you.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers for the other ending.
I literally laughed my ass off when Ravus turned around with that beard. That looked dumb as fuck lmao. Why do they keep putting beards on people to 'age' them.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I overall really liked it and I don't mind at all like "alternate history" takes on an ending (also oh boy,
i didn't expect an ending on the actual entire game)

However yeah, the one thing i'm really kinda confused by is

How the fuck is Noctis alive. Isn't the whole principle of defeating ardyn and heck, theme of heredity, consequences and death kinda thrown out the window ? I don't mind having an alt good ending, it's actually pretty fun. But I would've liked my own bone in telling me how Noctis doesn't succomb in that end since he still has to defeat the scourge (and obviously they do), hence sacrificing his life to do so

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And wtf was that scene in the DLC's canon credit scene where Ignis talks with Noct while he's resting in bed? That was so strange, like, why would he ask that? Felt totally out-of-character to me. As if there was any alternative at that point in the story.
It sounds as though he was checking his resolve, but he was just trying to save his life. Since he knew the journey would end with Noctis sacrificing himself.

From then on they just show you the scenes from the main game from Iggy's perspective, now that you're aware that he knows Noctis is going to have to kill himself.

-It gives perspective into how Ignis was able to stay so emotionally sound during the train ride and malboro fight. Gladio is mad about how bitchy Noctis is acting while Ignis is maimed, but Ignis knows what's still coming for Noctis, and just wants everyone to get along.

-Also immediately after Noctis is absorbed into the Crystal, you can see it grate Ignis because he knows whats happening.

So. Weird. Seemed almost like fan fiction, lol. We're totally gonna have this non-canon ending creep into every lore discussion from now on with people arguing over which one they like more and videos on Youtube naming this the "True/Best Ending", don't we? Yikes. Having an ending like this would go against basically everything the game is about theme-wise. I don't know how you could think this would have actually been good unless you didn't understand what the game was about:

Like, how did Noctis even survive in the end after killing Ardyn? Why did the whole lore suddenly change. I mean, even if it's an alternate ending shouldn't it somehow still be within the same framework of the original?
However yeah, the one thing i'm really kinda confused by is

How the fuck is Noctis alive.
I believe Ardyn actually gave Noctis this choice at the end of the main game.

It's really vague, but i always got the impression that the Scourge of Stars has happened in the past before, at least to some degree. Perhaps the old kings found a way to halt it but it just kept coming back because Ardyn is immortal?

So this alternate ending to FFXV would actually open the game up for a sequel. It's the most emotionally uplifting ending, but it's not the one that was supposed to happen.

There's something in the main game that makes less sense now too:
If Ignis' sacrifices to the old kings through the ring, which throughout the game/movie's lore are implied to be huge and irreversible, could so easily be reversed by Noctis' power from the Crystal, why didn't Noctis do that in the main game too to heal Ignis? Unless it worked here because the "wounds were still fresh", which still would be silly after all this heavy and serious talk from the old kings about how grave Ignis' sacrifices must be. I don't like when consequences in stories lose their weight like that. Felt cheap here. The alternate ending should've been Ignis being dead and him appearing in the afterlife scene with Noctis and Luna or something.

Sorry, but I gotta be that person now too for once, lol: they should've spend the ressources on even more main story updates instead of this alternate ending stuff.

I know, I know, this is non-canon and not supposed to be taken serious, but still... it didn't feel right to me.

Well the most obvious difference between this and all the other one situations is:
that the Crystal wasn't in the immediate vicinity. I mean if the Crystal had infinite range for all of the Lucis powers, then for what reason would the Nifs invade Insomnia to take it in the first place? I think it's also implied that Regis needed the Crystal in Insomnia to keep the wall up. The moment they attacked the chamber holding the crystal, the wall fell. So who knows, Noctis+Ring+Crystal may = significantly more capable power.

Now if the question is why didn't Noctis do this AFTER he emerged from Angelgard, then who knows. He still didn't have the crystal near him, but at that point he's supposed to have absorbed most/all of its power into the ring....or perhaps this doesn't actually happen until he sits on the throne and calls upon the kings? I mean once they attack him on the throne, you see their souls go into the ring. Who knows.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I really liked this dlc. It's very fitting that best bro would of course deliver on the goods.

Ravus was awesome and I wished we had gotten to see more of him in the main game. Honestly, I was kind of on his side when he wanted to kill Noctis as the Nox Fleurets have been repeatedly fucked over. The scene of him of him grieving over Luna was well done and it just made me wish this had been in the game from the beginning. The cutscene direction was vastly superior to the main game...like hot damn. I loved the option to switch the camera angle around during that one scene.

I didn't mind the non canon ending. It was just shits and giggles to me. Idk if I was just me but the fight between Ignis and Ardyn seem more intense/better than the final boss fight between Noctis and Ardyn??? Anyway, I feel like they're setting up Ardyn's dlc to be about his downfall and betrayal from his brother. All I need is that Episode Luna announcement and I'll be straight.

Ferri

Nov 17, 2017
Eos
Am I the only one who doesn't care about a Luna episode? lol

I just idk, what would she do in her episode? She literally only lives for Noctis, I doubt she had anything exciting to do before and after the journey to Altissia.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
It sounds as though he was checking his resolve, but he was just trying to save his life. Since he knew the journey would end with Noctis sacrificing himself.

From then on they just show you the scenes from the main game from Iggy's perspective, now that you're aware that he knows Noctis is going to have to kill himself.

-It gives perspective into how Ignis was able to stay so emotionally sound during the train ride and malboro fight. Gladio is mad about how bitchy Noctis is acting while Ignis is maimed, but Ignis knows what's still coming for Noctis, and just wants everyone to get along.

-Also immediately after Noctis is absorbed into the Crystal, you can see it grate Ignis because he knows whats happening.

It's really vague, but i always got the impression that the Scourge of Stars has happened in the past before, at least to some degree. Perhaps the old kings found a way to halt it but it just kept coming back because Ardyn is immortal?

So this alternate ending to FFXV would actually open the game up for a sequel. It's the most emotionally uplifting ending, but it's not the one that was supposed to happen.

Well the most obvious difference between this and all the other one situations is:
that the Crystal wasn't in the immediate vicinity. I mean if the Crystal had infinite range for all of the Lucis powers, then for what reason would the Nifs invade Insomnia to take it in the first place? I think it's also implied that Regis needed the Crystal in Insomnia to keep the wall up. The moment they attacked the chamber holding the crystal, the wall fell. So who knows, Noctis+Ring+Crystal may = significantly more capable power.

Now if the question is why didn't Noctis do this AFTER he emerged from Angelgard, then who knows. He still didn't have the crystal near him, but at that point he's supposed to have absorbed most/all of its power into the ring....or perhaps this doesn't actually happen until he sits on the throne and calls upon the kings? I mean once they attack him on the throne, you see their souls go into the ring. Who knows.

Oh yeah that's true !

In the end, really it's just a slight difference really and the themes are more or less the same, although now we have a positive turn to it. I think i still prefer the canon cuz it makes a bit more sense to me but I also really enjoy that they had the balls to do something like this

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Had fun watching the alternate ending and the (finally) pre-rendered cutscenes bringing amazing graphics back into FF. Other than that I'm reminded how much sucks XV's battle system and how much I hate it. Coming from XB2 is so much more evident. Clunky, bugged, unpolished, messy. What a terrible entry all over -.-'

BUT... ARDYN rocks, that is true!

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I just idk, what would she do in her episode? She literally only lives for Noctis, I doubt she had anything exciting to do before and after the journey to Altissia.

No you aren't alone lol.

Although hypothetically, she actually might have had somewhat of an exciting time during her escape from Insomnia.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoyed this DLC, favourite of the bunch I think. The story expansion seemed more significant and I think the boss fights added felt like some of the best, even including base game ones.
Also think ignis feels one of the best bros to control outside of Noctis and he does...awesome stuff in the DLC.

Also found it a little funny the alternative ending is actually more of a good ending, compared to the true ending which now feels the bad ending, ha ha.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Good for you? Saying she lives and breathes solely for Noctis isn't even true especially when that would be a lot more fitting for Ignis or Gladio specifically Ignis. This whole narrative that she isn't capable of fighting doesn't even make sense when Tabata literally confirmed pre-release that you were going to fight with her (which unfortunately got scrapped) and her weapon is literally a trident. I wish ya'll would just say you don't like or give a shit about Luna instead of making of up lowkey sexist reasons as to why she isn't capable of having her own dlc.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I hope Tabata Tensai would consider making it goofy cute anime girl anime type DLC where you do cute things with Genti-chan, like drink tea and maybe pillow fight. With option for PSVR.

R3birthFl4me

Oct 27, 2017
Since they started introducing non canon stuff to the game, Episode Luna has the possibility to be many things including her transformation into Ste...

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

What do you mean with "Ardyn gave him the choice" though? The only way this alternate ending would make sense at least somehow with the established lore would be if Noctis merely killed Ardyn's physical manifestation, but didn't fully kill him in the Astral Realm inside the crystal or wherever that is, so yeah, the world would still not be really saved and the Starscourge could reappear.

And yeah, the whole reason why the Astrals gave the crystal and ring to the Lucii and appointed a king and oracle was because of the Starscourge thousands of years ago:
Little if anything is known about the origins of the Starscourge, a situation made more confusing by different inferred origins in various localizations of the game. It appeared at some point in the distant past of Eos; in the German localization, Ardyn Izunia says Starscourge originated from the Meteor of the Six,[1] but it is not stated outright in other versions. The Starscourge plague emerged 2000 years prior to the events of Final Fantasy XV, and was subdued through the efforts of a Chosen King, aided by the Astral Bahamut, and the planet's gift of the magical Crystal, whose light destroys the Starscourge and those it infects.[2]

The Crystal exudes great magical power, and is said to hold the soul of the world. Bahamut put his plan to purge Starscourge into motion by handpicking two people, one whose bloodline would become the Crystal's protectors, and the other the first Oracle. The Oracle has the power to counteract the Starscourge and hold it at bay, and her bloodline became the royalty of Tenebrae. The bloodline that protects the Crystal became the Lucian kings, who are granted power to combat daemons and be empowered by the Crystal. The Astrals' last gift before they fell into a deep sleep was the Ring of Lucii, which would house the souls of the Lucian kings. The Starscourge subsided by the king's hand,[2]and the Final Fantasy XV Scenario Ultimania posits the power of the royal arms, combined with the power of the Crystal, can destroy the Starscourge.[3] Legends tell of the king of Lucis forging covenants with the Astrals two millennia ago, and fighting alongside them against the darkness. The scourge did not disappear from the world entirely however, and it was feared it would once again overwhelm Eos one day.

The Lucian royalty can combine their powers across generations via the bonding of the souls, as the one who wears the Ring of the Lucii can wield the powers of the kings of old. Thus, the power of the Crystal gradually concentrates until the king who wields all of the Crystal's power will be crowned the True King who can purge the Starscourge at the cost of his own life. This became the prophecy: "When darkness veils the world, the King of Light shall come." With the plan to cleanse the world of Starscourge in motion, Bahamut disappeared from Eos, and the tales of the Astrals became legends.

It appears the Oracle's healing people of the Starscourge is to also buy time for the Lucian lineage to accumulate enough power for the True King to appear. He is said to be even more powerful than the gods and to have the power to banish the darkness from the world. The Lucian kings are sworn to protect the Crystal until that day arrives, and gain the ability to use various magical powers as facilitated by the Crystal. The Final Fantasy XV Scenario Ultimania describes the Crystal as having immense magical power, but that the kings of Lucis don't wield its full potential; rather, they have the responsibility of protecting it. The Crystal picks the "Chosen King" when disaster comes to the world.[3]

During the initial scourge 2000 years ago, Ardyn Lucis Caelum was a member of the Lucian kings' bloodline who was chosen by the Crystal to save Eos from the Starscourge. He absorbed countless daemons into his own body, which saved thousands across the world, but resulted in him being rejected by the Crystal and denounced by his successor, and subsequently the Astrals, as unclean. Denied his ascension to the throne, he was demonized—and possibly killed—by a jealous future king who later became chosen by the Crystal in his stead.[3] As his transition rendered him immortal, Ardyn became the embodiment of daemonic influence in the world and the Starscourge. He took the surname of "Izunia" and vowed to one day have his revenge on the Caelum dynasty and the Crystal.

Two thousand years ago the world was in turmoil due to the spread of Starscourge, the Great War of Old between the Astrals and the fall of Solheim civilization. Starscourge is said to have been abated by a Chosen King two thousand years ago, Ardyn's replacement. Thus Ardyn was cast aside and forgotten as a new era of peace began.

Ardyn bided his time for millennia before establishing himself as chancellor to Iedolas Aldercapt, the emperor of Niflheim. He provided his knowledge to begin his plan for revenge. With Ardyn's coaxing the empire began to use daemons for experiments for creating a magitek infantry, and to deploy as weapons of war. A mysterious "vanishing disease" began to ravage the imperial lands. In his scheme to exact vengeance upon the Lucis Caelum line and the Astrals, Ardyn revived the Astral god Ifrit with the Starscourge. The Japanese and German versions of the bestiary posit that this corrupted the Astral's mind and body.

Although the Starscourge is not a new phenomenon, it was poorly understood. For a time the vanishing phenomenon that has people disappear into thin air was not considered to be a disease. In truth, the people who become afflicted with Starscourge disappear when they fully turn into miasma and become daemons.

After Ardyn murders Lunafreya, the effects of the Starscourge accelerate. With no heirs, the Oracles' bloodline is extinguished when both Lunafreya and Ravus Nox Fleuret are killed. Ardyn lures Prince Noctis, the last of the Lucian lineage, to Gralea, the capital of Niflheim, where the Crystal is now kept. The Crystal had always kept the Crown City of Insomnia safe from daemons, and Noctis believes he can save the world if he can salvage it. As Noctis touches the Crystal with the Ring of the Lucii however, he is pulled inside it. In an otherworldly dimension that exists on the inside of the Crystal, Noctis meets Bahamut who explains to him that he is the True King.

After Noctis disappears, the world is overtaken by darkness. Over the following decade, the Starscourge overwhelms Eos, covering the world in an eternal night and plaguing it with daemons. After Noctis awakens ten years later, he returns to the ruins of Insomnia with his friends to stop Ardyn and end the Starscourge. Ardyn pits Noctis against Ifrit, but Noctis defeats him with the help from the other Astrals before encountering Ardyn in the Citadel's throne room.

Overpowered by Noctis, Ardyn is finally able to rest in peace. His body fades away, and his spirit is destroyed when Noctis—who gave his life to halt the Starscourge and purge the daemons—uses the power of those he cherishes and the Lucian kings of old to land a final blow. As Ardyn's soul is erased, the darkness is lifted, daemons disappear and the sun rises. The prophecy fulfilled, the Ring of the Lucii disintegrates as the Lucian bloodline ends with Noctis's death.

Nope, same here^^

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Her DLC is going to take 30 minutes to complete, with a 4 hour long alternate route that's just

latest

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the alternate ending makes the actual ending even more powerful.

Oct 31, 2017
Good for you? Saying she lives and breathes solely for Noctis isn't even true especially when that would be a lot more fitting for Ignis or Gladio specifically Ignis. This whole narrative that she isn't capable of fighting doesn't even make sense when Tabata literally confirmed pre-release that you were going to fight with her (which unfortunately got scrapped) and her weapon is literally a trident. I wish ya'll would just say you don't like or give a shit about Luna instead of making of up lowkey sexist reasons as to why she isn't capable of having her own dlc.

Did we play the same game? She lives and breathes solely for Noctis. Oh, and she collects stickers.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Cooking Mama gameplay except you have to heal people in a tent.

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
Did we play the same game? She lives and breathes solely for Noctis. Oh, and she collects stickers.

Replaying the game right now, and the framing of a lot of the game suggests this, sure. Weirdly enough a lot of missable content suggests she is super duty driven and cares for her people a hell of a lot, so....

The whole of the game presents her as a jesus-like figure capable of creating miracles and absolving sin (read: starscorge) while also having a romance that extends both to and beyond her calling. The tragedy of her character is that she was never given a choice ever. She knows she is going to die, she knows that Noctis is going to die, she knows she has no say in any of this because either she dies or everyone dies along side her, etc etc.

Also, thats not to mention that she serves as an emotion equivalent to the Zero->X relationship in megaman x, wherein she represents the endgoal of dutifulness that Noct eventually has to become. She represents what noctis is missing, since up until chapter 7, he couldn't care less about the happenings of the world outside of "i secretly want to see luna again, but don't wanna admit it".
So yeah, she's more of a tragic savior trope than anything :/
But sure, she's only in it for nocts sweet sweet stickers, sure....

She is literally shown to have powerful holy magic...
Imagine playing a white-mage and you got her DLC is likely to play out.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean with "Ardyn gave him the choice" though? The only way this alternate ending would make sense at least somehow with the established lore would be if Noctis merely killed Ardyn's physical manifestation, but didn't fully kill him in the Astral Realm inside the crystal or wherever that is, so yeah, the world would still not be really saved and the Starscourge could reappear.

And yeah, the whole reason why the Astrals gave the crystal and ring to the Lucii and appointed a king and oracle was because of the Starscourge thousands of years ago:
Well yeah it wasn't Ardyn's choice, it was Noct's choice. But I assume the only reason he mentioned "erase me from history again" is because it's happened before, hence there's a way to temporarily halt the Starscourge without the chosen sacrificing themself.

I assume that's what happened at the end of the alt ending. Which is why it actually opens the game up for a sequel. Because yes, that means Ardyn isn't actually dead and the Starscourge WILL reappear. It's a "happy" ending...but it's not really a happy ending. Because it's just going to happen again. Hence, "I will eventually have my revenge"

But I think the real takeaway from this isn't the implications with Ardyn, Noctis, or the Starscourge, its that this alternate ending is the one that would be most desirable to Ignis personally.

He would personally take the choice to keep Noctis alive over the fate of the world or the crystal's calling.

Edit:

This also ties into your question about why Ignis would even think of asking Noctis to abandon the journey. Of course Ignis knows better than anyone else (even Noctis himself) why they shouldn't.

But after he found out Noctis was going to have to sacrifice himself, he asked anyway, on the off-chance he'd say yes.

Last edited:

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

She lives and breathes solely for her divine calling, to "purge the star of its scourge"....which, yeah involves Noctis. The game states that she's the youngest ever oracle due to her devotion, which is why Gentiana has been trailing her throughout her whole life.

I think you don't really "get" Luna in FFXV until well after you've beaten the game and see just exactly why she's so devoted. Chapter 12-14 happens abruptly, but it becomes really obvious by the end of the game that she's the only one in the whole game who's been taking it as seriously as they should have been.

Luna is basically Yuna except with no summons, guardians, or luck.

and a pen pal boyfriend

Lumpy Onion

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heh that was ok I guess. Splicing in Kingsglaive stuff and stills with narration still feels cheap. First act I glitched out twice and my attacks would no longer register on enemies until I reloaded my save. I think these episodes have looked progressively worse. Still think Gladio's was the most graphically polished of the bunch. Highlight was probably Ardyn putting his hat on that soldier and tipping it.

And wtf at this crownsguard casual costume reward?! Looks the same as the crownsguard fatigues just without gloves. Lame!

Last edited:

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
So PSN still lists FFXV as requiring 43.46GB of storage. Sure, I guess. But the fully patched game and all season pass content plus Comrades takes it up to 87.84 GB. This is getting out of hand.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think I'm going to have to take a break from XV threads because making sexist jokes at the expense of female characters isn't really my cup of tea, however, I at least wanted to say that I agree with this. She has flaws and does talk about Noctis but to act like that's all she does is just...disingenuous to me. Especially when literally everyone talks about Noctis constantly. Like this dlc is literally solely about Ignis' devotion to Noctis. But this is all I have to say about this now.

Also make some Lunafreya stickers SE. I'll buy that shit.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017

Case in point: this scene. Luna has moments where she shows other motivations, but it's hard to deny that she's "living solely for Noctis" when she basically says exactly that herself.

Granted I haven't actually seen all of the cutscenes that were patched into the game, so maybe they retconed in some additional motivations for her.

Last edited:

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't blame anyone for saying that she's characterized as living "solely for Noctis" when the game has this scene in it.

Granted I haven't actually seen all of the cutscenes that were patched into the game, so maybe they retconed in some additional motivations for her.
None of the added cutscenes alter her motivations really, but where i was coming from is present in a lot of the missable content. (Specifically the radio, man there is a lot of world building and character stuff in there that people miss >.< (including myself since most of it is stuff i didn't notice until my 3-4th playthrough))

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the DLC, although I wasn't able to beat Ardyn in the optional ending yet. Something about the time limit is making it a challenge, and the fact that I didn't leave myself enough items. I had to quit for now, but I'll try it again tomorrow. If I can't get it by then I'll just switch to easy mode.

But anyway, I want to say, overall, the direction of this DLC is really good. In fact, I'd say the way the cutscenes are directed and everything comes together, I would actually like to see the director of the Ignis DLC take on Final Fantasy XVI (or a future mainline title). There is something about the way everything comes together that just feels 'right' to me, and what I would expect from Final Fantasy. The only thing is the DLC just needs more polish. But seriously, this DLC has some of the coolest moments in the entire game.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I wasn't expecting the friendly battle to be intense as it was

If I learn Quick Recipeh in the main story do I get to use it there after I beat it?

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
None of the added cutscenes alter her motivations really, but where i was coming from is present in a lot of the missable content. (Specifically the radio, man there is a lot of world building and character stuff in there that people miss >.< (including myself since most of it is stuff i didn't notice until my 3-4th playthrough))

She definitely cares about the world and has moments as a martyr / Jesus figure who heals random people. But ultimately, Luna is defined by how the game presents her (as all fictional characters are). The radio stuff is a neat touch, but it's barely a footnote compared to the emphasis that the game puts on the relationship between her and Noctis.

Hence why people can come away with the impression that she "lives and breathes solely for Noctis". That's where the game puts its focus, and it's sufficient to explain pretty much all of her actions, so many players end up interpreting her character through that lens.

It's cool that they included the healer stuff, don't get me wrong. But when you're dealing with fictional characters, presentation = reality, and they barely presented her as a healer at all.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
Off topic, but I love your avatar! A Silent Voice is one of my favorite movies in a very long time and probably my favorite anime movie ever. :D
Thank you! Same here. :) I was lucky enough to see it in theaters and was completely blown away by the experience. Couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks. It has become my new favorite anime movie too! A day zero purchase for me when it comes out in blu-ray in the states!

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Noctis mad cheap

Each dlc looks better, optimizing the engine has done wonders. Should be quite the looker once it arrives on pc early next year.

Last edited:

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
Noctis mad cheap

Each dlc looks better, optimizing the engine had done wonders. Should be quite the looker once it arrives on pc early next year.

What i love is that all that cheapness comes over to the main game too since AI noctis uses the weapons you give him (no hp drain for royal arms when noct is an ai btw).
I'm doing a level 1, no heal items run and noct keeps stealing my damn kills when i play as the other bros >.<

Oh and this might help you out:
When you are downed as Iggy, you can still roll and if you hold triangle for a few seconds, you get out of danger.
You don't really need potions to res him :)

She definitely cares about the world and has moments as a martyr / Jesus figure who heals random people. But ultimately, Luna is defined by how the game presents her (as all fictional characters are). The radio stuff is a neat touch, but it's barely a footnote compared to the emphasis that the game puts on the relationship between her and Noctis.

Hence why people can come away with the impression that she "lives and breathes solely for Noctis". That's where the game puts its focus, and it's sufficient to explain pretty much all of her actions, so many players end up interpreting her character through that lens.

It's cool that they included the healer stuff, don't get me wrong. But when you're dealing with fictional characters, presentation = reality, and they barely presented her as a healer at all.

Yeah, i do agree that the game has a framing problem when it comes to Luna.
It could be easily fixed too by adding in basically 2 cutscenes (1 of her as a child becoming oracle and finding out what that really means and what a burden that is, and one of her doubting her calling only to reaffirm herself) so, yeah...

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it

"The power greater than the power of gods" that requires Noctis to basically commit suicide was necessary to kill Ardyn since he was so powerful.

What happened here is that Ignis sacrificed his life to weaken Ardyn significantly and off him for a few more years, so when Noctis is back he can finish him without needing to use that power / the whole sacrifice thing.

The healing bit is a bit iffy but it could be explained that Noctis sacrificed part of the crystal power to heal him. He couldn't do that in the "canon" timeline because by then the crystal was empty and he absorbed all of its power to kill Ardyn already.

It works without contradicting the established lore and rules of the universe. It doesn't work on a thematic level, though. And the fact that they don't show what Ignis's final line was gives me the feeling we're not done with this "timeline" yet. Maybe we're getting more of it in 2018 updates, or maybe they're using it for a XV-2 of some sorts. I won't be OK with that.

He saw the future and knew Noctis was going to die if they continued. That's why he started having doubts. That recontextualize the whole second half in a beautiful way, especially his speech in chapter 10 (or was it 11?) about the king having to go forward and never looking back. He was talking not just to Noctis but to himself too.

Are you referring to the final one to Noctis? All he said was "Your Majesty" you can read his lips.

Last edited:

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well yeah it wasn't Ardyn's choice, it was Noct's choice. But I assume the only reason he mentioned "erase me from history again" is because it's happened before, hence there's a way to temporarily halt the Starscourge without the chosen sacrificing themself.

I assume that's what happened at the end of the alt ending. Which is why it actually opens the game up for a sequel. Because yes, that means Ardyn isn't actually dead and the Starscourge WILL reappear. It's a "happy" ending...but it's not really a happy ending. Because it's just going to happen again. Hence, "I will eventually have my revenge"
About Ardyn

Erase me from history again, because he was the Savior, he cured the people, he was the King and Oracle. But he was betrayed by his brother Izunia. Izunia took Ardyns name, he made a demon out off Ardyn, and erased everything Ardyn was before. This is why Ardyn said "erase me again".

I maybe the only one, but i didn't like the story from the Episode Ignis at all.

Why would Ardyn play with Ignis just few seconds after giving the ring to Luna and saying to her "Give the ring to Noctis"? His whole purpose is do defeat the chosen king, or to die finally after waiting for so long. What does he get from playing games with Ignis and telling him so much about the his past? This is just another way that to me producers don't get it how to tell the story right.

And don't get me started on that alternative ending, it destroys the whole story for me. Why even put it there, when the best part about the game is the ending? The best part was seeing Noctis giving everything, defeating Ardyn, and then that scene at camp... it was so emotional, and now? Yeah, who cares, we have alternative ending...
Also, why would Crystal talk to Ignis? xD It doesn't make any sense...

But i did like
Ravus, but now i am afraid what they are gonna do to his story.