• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Thank you! Same here. :) I was lucky enough to see it in theaters and was completely blown away by the experience. Couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks. It has become my new favorite anime movie too! A day zero purchase for me when it comes out in blu-ray in the states!

Exactly the same. I watched it in theaters and I am eagerly anticipating the blu-ray release.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah the more I think about it...the more I think it's a fun "what if " ending but I can't consider it an alt canon myself, because it just throws away most of what the game pushes throughout most of the story in a very cheap and fast cop-out

The lack of true sacrifice in the alt ending really makes you think if Square writers decided to act on completely different rules than the original. if not, it makes the event of the "original" incredibly cheap, if not completely misguided. Not only that but the entire existence of some of the characters like Luna, who'se already kinda dealt a shit hand from the scenario, is even more weakened if it turns out Noctis can just plot armor his way out of Bahamut's prophecy (which is one of the only explicit things in the story). For a reminder, bahamut states it must be Noctis who fights Ardyn and the starscourge (so it makes Ignis's fight kinda pointless, but also it makes Ardyn's character less interesting as his triumph and power is somewhat dampened by the fact that he got punked on by an underling, as cool as ignis may be). The other thing is that noctis must sacrifice his life (and, consequently, lineage), not anyone else's, to stop the starscourge...but apparently not and it's all good and Luna and everyone's sacrifices for their king was pretty useless then.

Like as fun as it is, it also feels like an ending for a different game entirely

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I think that an eventual Luna DLC would be placed between Kingsglaive and the events of Chapter 9. Luna and the astrals, or something like that. I really hope we get one, it's ok even after Ardyn. Talking about Ardyn, the themes of his DLC are probably those hinted in this episode, and I'm not going to add anything for spoilers. If they really have 3 DLCs, I hope the third one is back with Noctis. I don't think Aranea, Iris or Ravus DLCs would add much to the plot, even Regis would be fine imo

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The alternative ending in this feels like a response to people who didn't like XV's ending. Not surprising for the "Fantasy based on Feedback". I enjoyed it, and didn't expect it to go that far.

Spoilers for the other ending.
I literally laughed my ass off when Ravus turned around with that beard. That looked dumb as fuck lmao. Why do they keep putting beards on people to 'age' them.

It's a lot cheaper and easier to do it that way. I also started laughing at that too.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
The alternative ending is eh. It's nice how long it went for and how much there was to it, but the canon part is clearly the one with the most punch to it because of the set up at the start.

I don't like FFXV's story on the whole but the campfire scene is good and seeing more of it in this way is good.

Episode Ignis is the best one on the whole I think. Messing around with the grappling hook is rather enjoyable (Ignis straight looks like Spiderman though) and "Quick Recipeh" might be the greatest move animation I've done in combat.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
About Ardyn

Erase me from history again, because he was the Savior, he cured the people, he was the King and Oracle. But he was betrayed by his brother Izunia. Izunia took Ardyns name, he made a demon out off Ardyn, and erased everything Ardyn was before. This is why Ardyn said "erase me again".

I maybe the only one, but i didn't like the story from the Episode Ignis at all.

Why would Ardyn play with Ignis just few seconds after giving the ring to Luna and saying to her "Give the ring to Noctis"? His whole purpose is do defeat the chosen king, or to die finally after waiting for so long. What does he get from playing games with Ignis and telling him so much about the his past? This is just another way that to me producers don't get it how to tell the story right.

And don't get me started on that alternative ending, it destroys the whole story for me. Why even put it there, when the best part about the game is the ending? The best part was seeing Noctis giving everything, defeating Ardyn, and then that scene at camp... it was so emotional, and now? Yeah, who cares, we have alternative ending...
Also, why would Crystal talk to Ignis? xD It doesn't make any sense...

But i did like
Ravus, but now i am afraid what they are gonna do to his story.

Yeah the more I think about it...the more I think it's a fun "what if " ending but I can't consider it an alt canon myself, because it just throws away most of what the game pushes throughout most of the story in a very cheap and fast cop-out

The lack of true sacrifice in the alt ending really makes you think if Square writers decided to act on completely different rules than the original. if not, it makes the event of the "original" incredibly cheap, if not completely misguided. Not only that but the entire existence of some of the characters like Luna, who'se already kinda dealt a shit hand from the scenario, is even more weakened if it turns out Noctis can just plot armor his way out of Bahamut's prophecy (which is one of the only explicit things in the story). For a reminder, bahamut states it must be Noctis who fights Ardyn and the starscourge (so it makes Ignis's fight kinda pointless, but also it makes Ardyn's character less interesting as his triumph and power is somewhat dampened by the fact that he got punked on by an underling, as cool as ignis may be). The other thing is that noctis must sacrifice his life (and, consequently, lineage), not anyone else's, to stop the starscourge...but apparently not and it's all good and Luna and everyone's sacrifices for their king was pretty useless then.

Like as fun as it is, it also feels like an ending for a different game entirely
Yeah, I don't like it at all either. It's total nonsense and I don't see how this is even remotely satisfying to the point that so many even say they'd prefer this over the original. If people's standards are this low it's no wonder SE gets away with its level of writing in the series and sequels like those of FFVII/FFX/FFXIII. Who cares about thematic integrity as long as you get a happy ending - awww :)

This is like wanting Silent Hill 2's Dog Ending to be canon.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the DLC and personally I think it's the best of the 3 episodes. The alternate non-canon ending was weird. Why include that?

I mean I get showing that there might've been a different way (or possibiliy as they titled it) and all, but it just doesn't work thematically for me with the rest of the canon narrative. There was no ultimate sacrifice at stake anymore. Wasn't Reigis aware of the sacrifice Noctis would have to eventually make at some point, which is why he was so conflicted and sad about the future of his son? Noctis easily erased the sacrifice Ignis made to save him just by putting on the ring as it was nothing. While the look at a somewhat happy ending is interesting and fun, I don't think it works particularly well in this case, since it ignores one of the main themes of the narrative (in my opinion at least). Also: while I'm not the biggest fan of the trope about the main hero having to sacrifice his life in order to save the world, I think the main game pulled it off pretty nicely. The last meal the friends had together. The favorite photo you have to choose before the final fight. 'Stand by me' playing in the credits. All of that got me really hard and made Noctis' sacrifice (and the sacrifices of all the other characters) even more powerful. It feels like people complained about the death of Noctis so that they came up with a happier ending as pure fanservice just to please them.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Beat the DLC and personally I think it's the best of the 3 episodes. The alternate non-canon ending was weird. Why include that?

I mean I get showing that there might've been a different way (or possibiliy as they titled it) and all, but it just doesn't work thematically for me with the rest of the canon narrative. There was no ultimate sacrifice at stake anymore. Wasn't Reigis aware of the sacrifice Noctis would have to eventually make at some point, which is why he was so conflicted and sad about the future of his son? Noctis easily erased the sacrifice Ignis made to save him just by putting on the ring as it was nothing. While the look at a somewhat happy ending is interesting and fun, I don't think it works particularly well in this case, since it ignores one of the main themes of the narrative (in my opinion at least). Also: while I'm not the biggest fan of the trope about the main hero having to sacrifice his life in order to save the world, I think the main game pulled it off pretty nicely. The last meal the friends had together. The favorite photo you have to choose before the final fight. 'Stand by me' playing in the credits. All of that got me really hard and made Noctis' sacrifice (and the sacrifices of all the other characters) even more powerful. It feels like people complained about the death of Noctis so that they came up with a happier ending as pure fanservice just to please them.

I just viewed threw the lenses of Ignis maybe he wanted things to had played out that way.. otherwise it's nonsense. It's like Ignis delayed judgment day for awhile and prepared for the arrival of the messiah.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I see the alternate ending as a fun "Hey let's give everyone a happy ending" thing.

Except Luna, who is still dead

I enjoyed it, but if they try to make any part of that canon I'll be severely disappointed.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I see the alternate ending as a fun "Hey let's give everyone a happy ending" thing.

Except Luna, who is still dead

I enjoyed it, but if they try to make any part of that canon I'll be severely disappointed.
You all know I've been very understanding and supportive of BD2, but that's where I'd draw the line. If they'd do that, I'll be out here making online petitions and shit, lol.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, from the newest Game Informer magazine:
Improving The Game

Most fans' biggest complaints have already been addressed, from the problematic chapter 13 to the addition of New Game Plus. However, Tabata and his team feel there's room for improvement and even new features left to implement. One of his biggest goals in the next year is to add more to the story and lore. "There is still something missing, not quite satisfactory yet, in the way the story explains itself and the information you get there - that's what I think I need to still focus on," Tabata says. As to what this entails, Tabata said he wants to go deeper into the background of some characters and their personalities alongside explaining more about Eos itself. "There's more of a backstory to this world that this game takes place in than [the game] had," he says.

Tabata also couldn't help teasing more than just story enhancements. "There's also one other thing - a completely new gameplay experience I want to provide to players of XV as well. I can't tell you what that is yet, though. We're currently trashing through the plans for that and getting it into shape, so we can announce exactly what that is at the beginning of next year."

He also clarified more regarding future DLC. "The important thing is [that] we want to release DLC that's closely linked to the main game - the main story - and has a strong influence on that, rather than something somewhat peripheral and unrelated. That's the kind of content we're looking at."

:thinking:

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Man what the fff...uuck. Not only is this much better than other episodes, it's FFXV at its best.

I had trouble figuring out which part of FFXV was my favorite, because not much resonated with me.

To me FFXV's first 20 seconds are full of promise, with a tired/intimidated older Noctis facing a powerful enemy, all of it made more epic with the music. I thought I'd enjoy seeing how we'd get up to that point with real dramatic moments.

But the game didn't deliver on that aspect for me (boohoohoo Jared - I love how he's mentioned in this btw), and I thought Gladio/Prompto Episodes were mostly pointless, if not a little boring.

Well here comes Episode Ignis.

What a show. Great characters, excellent music, beautiful war-torn environment, thrilling boss fights, emotional cutscenes... Sure, it doesn't fix all of FFXV (hold a button, win fight), but it was all I could have hoped for when I first started this adventure.

What a stupid "shocking reveal" the consequence of the battle was in the original game. This Episode not only makes watching Kingslaive kind of worth it, it finally adds much needed context and depth to the characters' relationships.

Also I can't believe it took this long to give Ravus more than 2 minutes on screen.

Anyway, time to check out the alternate ending, but man am I happy that a year later I find myself satisfied with how they handed this particular "plot hole".

Ignis best bro, he's certainly the most stylish in that final fight. He's now up there on my favorite characters of all time.

Can't wait for future DLC.

Edit: Finished alternate ending.
Perfection.gif, 21/20 would love again.

That really enhances all of FFXV. I'm gonna assume that last sentence we can't hear is something like "Fuck the canon". High five! Wish the full game had high stakes moments like this, they kinda feel wasted/rushed in short DLCs.

Laughed when I saw another example of "let's add a beard to age this dude". Oh well I can't complain, that's how I love my Noctis.

Last edited:

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
In the end it was Ignasio
the true shield who stood up to Ravus to protect Noct, all that dumb training Gladio did was for nothing
how sad in an ironic way :'(

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I will say tho, the main campaign was really good: fun gameplay all aroudn with the grappling offering like a more open ended traversal of a map, and good character development all around (nice to see more of Ravus...and also ignis which we actually didn't know of his true self all that much)

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I will say tho, the main campaign was really good: fun gameplay all aroudn with the grappling offering like a more open ended traversal of a map, and good character development all around (nice to see more of Ravus...and also ignis which we actually didn't know of his true self all that much)
Watch the anime on YouTube Ignis got the second best ep behind prompto (in case you haven't watched it)

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
You all know I've been very understanding and supportive of BD2, but that's where I'd draw the line. If they'd do that, I'll be out here making online petitions and shit, lol.

It's an alternate "what-if" non-canon route. Not unlike Type-0's "what-if" happy ending. The way things play out in the episode is not canon and is just for fun. Fun alternate endings isn't new to FF.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
It's an alternate "what-if" non-canon route. Not unlike Type-0's "what-if" happy ending. The way things play out in the episode is not canon and is just for fun. Fun alternate endings isn't new to FF.
I know that of course, lol. Was talking about if they suddenly made it canon for future content.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
MNe0noU_d.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh...the shops in Altissia. Why are the bonus items all grayed out? Am I supposed to do something to trigger them actually being buyable?

Also, I think one of the districts glitched out. I can't get Gattodana District cleared, even though I thought I killed every enemy. Annoying.

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the DLC, by far the best of the three. This episode added a lot to history.

About the next episodes, the one I want the most is episode Luna, she still is the most underdeveloped main character from the game.

She deserves more, I find sad people make jokes about her, because even with all her problems, she still is my favorite character.

Maybe she is portraited as a martyr, or a tragic savior, but her devotion for the people she healed and for the man she loves is a very beautiful way to demonstrate her resolve and passion on what she believes.

I think her death is not only for shock value or only for fuel to Noctis try to get revenge. I think the B2 team only told poorly, that sometimes people we love dies, but we cannot forget the ones that are still alive.

The most memorable scene in this game for me is the tension when Iggy get blind, and how hard is to Noctis deal with all at the same time, the woman he loves is dead, one of his friends treat him like garbage and other is blind.

FFXV have a lot of flaws to me, but what make really unique to me, and stand out, is that the game is not only about a trip with your bros. In my interpretation, the game is about loss. Noctis loses his father, his kingdom, the woman he loves, his life... and I never experienced this in another game.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, uh...the shops in Altissia. Why are the bonus items all grayed out? Am I supposed to do something to trigger them actually being buyable?

Also, I think one of the districts glitched out. I can't get Gattodana District cleared, even though I thought I killed every enemy. Annoying.

I don't think you can buy the cookware until you beat the DLC. As for the other stuff do you just not have enough money?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... The new alternative ending is nice, but definitely nowhere near as good as the canon ending.

A really great episode all around! Nut holy shit those notes are hard to find!

Also, it's cool to finally know about Ardyn's full identity.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
guys it isn't real

i mean i know it isn't real, but it isn't canon. Calm down, they're just having fun like they've been doing

This episode has a friendly training match where Noctis can erase ignis from existence . I don't think we're in any danger of seeing more from this.

Btw, from the newest Game Informer magazine:

Tabata also couldn't help teasing more than just story enhancements. "There's also one other thing - a completely new gameplay experience I want to provide to players of XV as well. I can't tell you what that is yet, though. We're currently trashing through the plans for that and getting it into shape, so we can announce exactly what that is at the beginning of next year."

:thinking:

Completely new? I dunno.

Hopefully it's a reworking of Noctis and the main story gameplay. (FFXV Final Mix) Or possibly another difficulty mode or something? But "completely new" leads me to believe it's something along the lines of first person / VR / whatever.

I honestly feel like they've kind of announced everything at this point?? We've got multiplayer, we've got character switching, we've got off-roads vehicles and we launched with flying, we've got episodes for all the bros and announced ones for others, we've got announced VR and first person upgrades for PC...Unless it's something mundane, i don't really know what he could have up his sleeve. What I would REALLY enjoy is for them to rework Noct's point warp mechanic to function how Ignis' grappling hook does.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
The whole OST as a playlist:

The music for the episode really was stunning. The main game's score had consistency issues which were carried over to Gladiolus' episode (with a fairly nice main theme by Okabe between an okay arrangement of a song that really didn't fit the style they asked him to go for, and a bunch of middling battle themes by Tetsuya Shibata), but Prompto's episode and especially this have really improved in that regard.

I wonder when they'll officially release the DLC music - I assumed they were waiting for all of the first season to be out first; so hopefully we'll get an announcement soon.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder why they chose to display Luna's voice as "Mysterious Voice", with the audio distorted.... I mean, that's Luna's voice actress...

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The music for the episode really was stunning. The main game's score had consistency issues which were carried over to Gladiolus' episode (with a fairly nice main theme by Okabe between an okay arrangement of a song that really didn't fit the style they asked him to go for, and a bunch of middling battle themes by Tetsuya Shibata), but Prompto's episode and especially this have really improved in that regard.

I wonder when they'll officially release the DLC music - I assumed they were waiting for all of the first season to be out first; so hopefully we'll get an announcement soon.

Yeah, now that it's all out I hope there's a release soon. I need official versions of Apocalypsis Magnatus and A Clash of Swords from Comrades

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Just making sure, but this is the last DLC to fill in the plotholes left previously in the story, right? We've been waiting to play through the story again, and wanted to go with a more complete version this time (haven't played through the story since launch essentially).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just making sure, but this is the last DLC to fill in the plotholes left previously in the story, right? We've been waiting to play through the story again, and wanted to go with a more complete version this time (haven't played through the story since launch essentially).

Technically. Season Pass 2's stuff will likely add even more clarifications and they plan to do even more story/gameplay updates over the next year, but this one fills in the biggest and most important gap.

Also important: none of these episodes are accessible during the main story. They're all separate "mini games", essentially.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Theyre gonna add more stuff all next year.
A chapter for the villain's back story is confirmed and the other additions/dlc will be revealed by the end of the year.

I do wonder how the dlc revenues for them are working out. The production value in these pieces is easily miles above the 5 bucks they charge. So the either the dlc is selling like hotcakes or a lot of this was half baked already at release and had to be left behind for a timely launch.
For the latter, as disappointing as it is, i prefer this over what they did with 13's cut content. It keeps the quality consistent and eventually itll be the game it was meant to be.
For 13, it can now never be fixed but xv can turn into a legitimately great ff eventually.
For the general engine optimization I'm sure its just their team constantly tweaking it for their next game regardless of the dlc.
Makes for very good beta testing.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Am I hearing things or did I just hear the classic FF7 boss theme in the theme of the last boss fight? If anything this only hyped me up more for the remake when it eventually comes.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
I finished the DLC tonight and it was well worth the wait. FFXV at its finest is an apt description. To be honest Ignis never appealed to me as best chocobro as much as Prompto did but boy, does this DLC give him a real boost in popularity.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
So with Ignis being confirmed in the alternate reality to having walked and checked on the very much alive Noctis, I think it is now clear that in the main game Ignis went into the chamber and had to deal with Noctis' dead body :'(

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, how, where and why do I buy glasses, knives and stuff?

Didn't like the DLC as much as Prompto btw. Was a bit to hectic imo.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man this DLC was a little disappointing. Really the only good thing we got out of it was great Ignis gameplay, but on the other hand, the story was rushed and short. I guess it did an okay job handling that section of the story but I expected more. Prompto's DLC should have been bigger and more like an expansion. Ignis should have covered more ground in the story. And Glad's was a short contained story that sort of held out on its two feet despite being underwhelming.

The upcoming DLC better be good.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, I don't like it at all either. It's total nonsense and I don't see how this is even remotely satisfying to the point that so many even say they'd prefer this over the original. If people's standards are this low it's no wonder SE gets away with its level of writing in the series and sequels like those of FFVII/FFX/FFXIII. Who cares about thematic integrity as long as you get a happy ending - awww :)

This is like wanting Silent Hill 2's Dog Ending to be canon.

I just don't get it, why even included it? Why use all this resources to make this crap of an ending. I mean, they did it already with FFX-2 and people hated it, it destroyed the whole story for me. Then they went and did that with FFXIII-2, and -3. If they are that scared of people's reaction, then they should just make happy endings. Everyone is happy, nobody get's hurt, the last boss was just playing games, he wasn't evil at all etc.

I was defending FFXV all the time, but with this... i just can't.

Oh shit, the alternate path finally reveals who Izunia was.
Ardyn's younger brother? Damn, what happened back then?

Actually, this is already kinda explained in the main game, a little bit hidden, but still

Ardyn was the first Savior chosen to save the world from the Scourge that Ifrit called upon people. But Ardyn's body was different, he didn't just heal the people, he absorbed also that darkness into his body. Although he didn't mean anything evil, that absorbed power made him strong and also immortal. But the God's got scared of him, because he got even stronger than themselves. So they decided to cast him away, and chose another Person in his place, that was his brother Izunia. They also split the roles of Ardyn, into the Oracle and King, with this also the line of Kings started, and the line of Oracles.

latest

As you can see, Ardyn was beloved by everyone, because he healed the people, and saved the them from darkness.
He is kinda display as Jesus, and at the end he was betrayed by his own kind. That's why he is seeking revenge, that's why he want's to end his own line, and that's why he want's to get rid of the Gods.

latest

Last edited: