• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
A lot of this sounds like alternate scenarios that take a different turn and could open up amazing gameplay and story opportunities. Really interested in the Noctis one, since it sounds like he completely turns heel lol.

Myrrh

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure why they're so intent on changing the ending now. The original ending was one the best things about the game. Why can't they just focus on the stuff that's lacking?

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
How are they going to fit these to the other FF releases, developed by other parts of the company? or are they not going to release any console FF games because of these?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why they're so intent on changing the ending now. The original ending was one the best things about the game. Why can't they just focus on the stuff that's lacking?

Because there's only so much they can do to the main game before they have to completely change its entire structure and flow. These kinds of standalone stories are the best way to expand on the game without breaking it completely.

They're also better for people who already finished it so they don't have to do an entire second playthrough just to see some new content.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
I had thought about one of the DLC episodes being Episode Noctis, but I was leaning towards it focusing on his time in the crystal or showing him in Insomnia before the start of the game. Not so much on an alternate finale.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFXV the gift that keeps on delivering forevermore. And I fucking called it for a Noctis episode, even tho, to be fair I said Child Noctis, but it seems we will be getting more GOAT Punished Old Noctis content.

come 2019 and we all know they will announced FFXV-2 and you will buy it and you will like it.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
All the episodes on 2019? I would have hoped to see a couple of them this year...

Hyped for Ardyn and Aranea though.

Myrrh

Oct 29, 2017
They're not. It's just an alternate ending that's just DLC and will probably never be in the base game.

They are effectively changing the ending with all of these alternate endings. I personally found the new alternate ending pretty terrible, pandering to people who don't like bittersweet endings, not making any sense given the rules players were given, and cheapening the original ending's boldness. But that's just me.

Because there's only so much they can do to the main game before they have to completely change its entire structure and flow. These kinds of standalone stories are the best way to expand on the game without breaking it completely.

They're also better for people who already finished it so they don't have to do an entire second playthrough just to see some new content.

I feel they can easily avoid breaking the game by touching up the part that a lot people already though was broken: the second half. I wouldn't expect them to build an entirely new open world or anything like that, but doing something like expanding Tenebrae (sort of like how they expanded on Insomnia) could go a long way towards improving the pacing of the final acts.

The chapter select feature really negates the need to replay the whole game a second time to experience new content. FFXV feels segmented enough already. I'd rather they work on incorporating as much new content into the main game as they can.

Starvigil

Oct 30, 2017
People hating on Tabata after he adopted Versus, put it through college, and now continues to support and love it more than anyone else ever has. Shame on you.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In for Season 3 with Episode Regis, Episode Iris, and a legit Episode Kenny

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Can't wait!!!!! Redeem Lunafreya please. Excited as heck for Aranea as well but I feel like it was obvious they would choose her.

I know it's super disappointing that it's late though. I need to buy a complete edition or something. I just want to replay this all from scratch to forget what I played.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The evolution of this game is kind of insane. Miraculous even. From being some half-assed release made from the scraps of a disaster, to whatever it is these days. With all these continued content being made I imagine its one Squeenix's biggest successes across multiple generations.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel they can easily avoid breaking the game by touching up the part that a lot people already though was broken: the second half. I wouldn't expect them to build an entirely new open world or anything like that, but doing something like expanding Tenebrae (sort of like how they expanded on Insomnia) could go a long way towards improving the pacing of the final acts.

The chapter select feature really negates the need to replay the whole game a second time to experience new content. FFXV feels segmented enough already. I'd rather they work on incorporating as much new content into the main game as they can.

Chapter Select is not a good option, because using it destroys all of your sidequest progress. If you do it, you lose every single mission you've completed. As for Tenebrae, the portion of the game when you get there is such that if you spent a bunch of time derping around there, it wouldn't make any narrative sense.

The only way to make Tenebrae work as an explorable area would be a completely separate story or a prequel arc. Prompto isn't even with the party when you get there.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Not a bad idea, perhaps I can pace it out a little bit. I did buy the original Digital Deluxe Edition, so I have Ep Gladio, Prompto and Ignis waiting for me. it's good to know Ignis spoils the hell out of the ending so I'll skip that one for now. LOL
I assume you don't have the Royal Pack ($15) that came out last month alongside the Royal/Window Edition? It expands and improves the final chapter quite a bit with an expanded final dungeon and new story bosses. Plus other stuff like a new battle mechanic for when you found all royal arms, a drivable boat, car races around the world etc. See the Royal/Window Edition OT:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/fi...edition-windows-edition-ot-walk-taller.27521/

I mean, even though the whole final chapter is definitely much better now with the Royal additions, the actual final battle and ending is still exactly the same, so if you don't want to spend the money for the Royal Pack, I think that's fine too. I didn't get it either and just watched the new content on Youtube. I will just wait for the ultimate Complete Edition next year, which will include the Royal Pack and surely the 2019 DLCs, to do a second playthrough.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
The worst part is I like the sound of the Ardyn and Aranea episodes. Not buying into this though regardless, this game has been dragged out far too long and the Noctis episode sounds like it's another (or a "real") ending which really irks me.

Airi

Oct 27, 2017
Once SE figures out they are done making 15, I'll start playing 15. I don't have the energy to keep returning to a single player narrative across years like this, especially with pieces being shoved into the middle of content that has already been cleared if one played since original release. I honestly would have rather waited for them to fully finish the game in one release, even if it took more years, than this uneven clumpy lumpy result.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is I like the sound of the Ardyn and Aranea episodes. Not buying into this though regardless, this game has been dragged out far too long and the Noctis episode sounds like it's another (or a "real") ending which really irks me.
They literaly said before the reveal on the stream that this is not overwriting the real ending and that the new DLCs' overarching theme is "alternate grand finale".

[SPOILER WARNING]
The episodes will portray an "alternate grand finale" for the game, showing "a future everyone longed for," meaning a possible outcome that could have existed for each of four characters:
  • The first full episode will focus on Ardyn and is tentatively titled The Conflict of the Sage. The episode "portrays the struggles of Ardyn. Witness the resentment he harbored toward Lucis for over 2000 years, and his clashes with the Astrals"
  • A smaller "side story" episode will focus on Aranea Highwind of the Niflheim Empire and will focus on the Starscourge disease. "The final day of the Empire turns out to be Aranea's worst day," Square Enix teased.
  • A second full episode will let you play as Lunafreya and has the working title The Choice of Freedom. The story is "about Luna's fate, which not even death can free her from. Her battle to save the one she loves overturns the destiny dealt to the Lucian King."
  • The final episode is titled The Final Strike and focuses on Noctis "parting way with the Astrals" as he "embarks upon his final battle in order to attain the ideal future for all his people."

Once SE figures out they are done making 15, I'll start playing 15. I don't have the energy to keep returning to a single player narrative across years like this, especially with pieces being shoved into the middle of content that has already been cleared if one played since original release. I honestly would have rather waited for them to fully finish the game in one release, even if it took more years, than this uneven clumpy lumpy result.
The main game's core experience is pretty much done at this point, so you're safe to jump in now with the Royal/Window Edition - there won't be any significant changes to the main game anymore. The new DLC coming early 2019 is side stories and alternate ending stuff. This year seems to be focused mainly on updates for the Comrades Multiplayer DLC that released last year and will be made into a standalone game this summer as they announced today alongside new content for it like boss challenges and a raid mode.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think you understand how the DLC for FFXV works. It's not shoved into the middle of the game, they're standalone episodes that basically function as short micro-games of their own. And basically all of them are better experienced after you beat the main game.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
I . have the game since day one and .... i haven't played it yet.

Seems like i shouldn't be in a hurry to do so.

To be clear i'm glad this stuff exist since the only reason why i haven't played FF15 yet is a huge backlog

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Not exactly looking forward to Episode Luna. I just don't see it living up to what Tabata was saying about her pre-release, and I don't want yet another addition to the disappointment of Luna, and her relationship/romance with Noctis. I could just do without it at this point; thinking about the whole thing gives me a sinking feeling in my stomach.

I probably would have enjoyed an Episode Iris more.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was the Royal Edition made in a way that carefully integrated the DLC episodes into the main story or is it just some sort of cheap extra menu on the starting screen?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I'm wondering is FF16 even in development at this point?

The team that made FFXV isn't working on XVI, so yes. XVI is being worked on to some degree.

I . have the game since day one and .... i haven't played it yet.

Seems like i shouldn't be in a hurry to do so.

To be clear i'm glad this stuff exist since the only reason why i haven't played FF15 yet is a huge backlog

I said this to someone else earlier in the thread and I mean it. Don't wait an entire year more to play the game if you already own it just to get this DLC. It's going to burn you the hell out if you try to do everything in the game in its current state and all four of the new DLC episodes.

Was the Royal Edition made in a way that carefully integrated the DLC episodes into the main story or is it just some sort of cheap extra menu on the starting screen?

The DLC episodes are still standalone, because they can't be integrated into the main game. The new Royal Edition content is part of the main storyline.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
The devs said repeatedly that no, it's not. Because the DLC is meant to be played AFTER the main game. It especially rings true for Episode Ignis.

Myrrh

Oct 29, 2017
Chapter Select is not a good option, because using it destroys all of your sidequest progress. If you do it, you lose every single mission you've completed. As for Tenebrae, the portion of the game when you get there is such that if you spent a bunch of time derping around there, it wouldn't make any narrative sense.

The only way to make Tenebrae work as an explorable area would be a completely separate story or a prequel arc. Prompto isn't even with the party when you get there.

Why would your progress matter if all you want to do is experience the new content? Just make a quick backup save slot and you're good to go.

Episode Prompto starts several days after the party arrives in Tenebrae (in addition, Prompto spent at least one day exploring Nifleheim), meaning the bros spent literal days either in that short train ride to Gralea, or they waited a few days in Tenebrae for the train to get fixed. An extended stay makes fine narrative sense. Prompto's absence hardly lasts, and being forced to explore a new region without the heart of the party would add more weight to the story.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Was the Royal Edition made in a way that carefully integrated the DLC episodes into the main story or is it just some sort of cheap extra menu in the starting screen?

The DLC cannot be integrated into the main game without ruining the pacing and plot points.

Ep. Gladio is ~2 hours in a closed-off area
Ep. Prompto is a potentially-many-hours separate open-world and spoils late-game plot points
Ep. Ignis is ~2 hours in a closed-off area, spoils the ending, and presents you with alternate ending options

They cannot (and should not) be integrated into the main game, as they weren't designed for it. By all means, wait for PC modders to do this and force them into the campaign, and you and everyone else who keeps calling for this will realise what an awful idea it is.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Episode Noctis over Ravus or Cor huh. You'd think Episode Noctis would be the main game itself lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why would your progress matter if all you want to do is experience the new content? Just make a quick backup save slot and you're good to go.

Episode Prompto starts several days after the party arrives in Tenebrae (in addition, Prompto spent at least one day exploring Nifleheim), meaning the bros spent literal days either in that short train ride to Gralea, or they waited a few days in Tenebrae for the train to get fixed. An extended stay makes fine narrative sense. Prompto's absence hardly lasts, and being forced to explore a new region without the heart of the party would add more weight to the story.

Because it doesn't make sense to jump around a finished storyline piece by piece to watch a bunch of short story cutscenes without context. Narrative needs to be experienced in a linear fashion in order to function properly. It'd just be disjointed and unsatisfying, and they know that, which is why they stopped doing it after the few new cutscenes they added into the main game early in the process.

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017

Latter. Its on the start menu.

Well i didn't got really far so im not sure if once you reach their point in story the game starts them up, i'm ten hours in and i think i will stop seeing just how much content is being worked on. I'm not the type to going back on a game i finished, so i will come back once everythings done. Which may take a while...