• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/20/final-fantasy-15-mod-support-essential/

The modding tool won't be available straight away at launch, sadly, but Mr Aramaki assured me they planned to have it out "very soon" after release.

"We're also trying to make [the tool] something where you don't need any previous programming knowledge to do," Aramaki continued. "Anyone will be able to pick it up and use it. At first it will be quite limited, with the ability to switch around costumes and reskin things in the game, but slowly we're going to add more and more freedom to the tool to allow you to do different things. For example, play around with the story progression and the levels.

"We're also going to start out focusing most of the mods around the single player content for the game and then gradually expand it to include things which may go into the multiplayer. First of all, if you have it on the single player, you're not going to have things there that ruin other people's gaming experience if it's not quite right. That's the right way of approaching it – starting out locally and then widening it."

Tabata agreed: "We understand you're worried and we've got our own worries about how things may fail or not work right, too. But the way we look at it, we feel that rather than worrying about what might happen and because of that not doing it, we feel it's a better approach to go ahead and do it and try it. Then, after we've seen what the problems are, we'll try and fix them. That's the better way of doing it. I also think it's really important that when the fans see this and touch it, they can give their feedback back to us and we can get that feedback loop and hear the voices of the users."

UPDATE:
"We are planning on Steam Workshop support, and we're also planning on a system without it so players can share mods outside of Steam... We haven't got a dedicated monitoring team at Square Enix, so we may check the mods that go up on Steam Workshop but anything outside Steam we'll leave free."

Shida added, presumably in case players were worried about even just the Steam versions being vetted:

"We don't want to limit people, or the way they play, as much as possible... One of the big philosophies behind the creation of the Windows Edition was to increase the freedom of players to play Final Fantasy XV in the way they want to play the game... We'll leave it free."

We also asked about when Mod Support would be available for Final Fantasy XV. Only the fun mod revealed for turning NPCs into Cactuars and a reskin of player character Noctis's weapons will be available at launch, the rest will come later. Kenichi Shida told us:

"Going forward we're going to add a lot more different modding options, and a specific modding tool. Just seeing the reaction from the community to the Cactuar skins really reaffirmed our belief that players are excited for mods... It won't be a big gap, we intend to be prompt in releasing new skins and upgrades going forwards."
---
From the author's Twitter, lol:

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The modding tool won't be available straight away at launch, sadly, but Mr Aramaki assured me they planned to have it out "very soon" after release.

REEEEE

Tabata pls.

No older boys modelswaps from the start. Feels bad.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017

At first it will be quite limited, with the ability to switch around costumes and reskin things in the game, but slowly we're going to add more and more freedom to the tool to allow you to do different things. For example, play around with the story progression and the levels.
Ugh. If unofficial modding doesn't take of really fast I guess I will do my first playthrough without mods..
Currently waiting to see what mods are mades for Kingdom Comes before starting the game, I was hoping to do the same with ff15.

Oct 27, 2017
Square also said this about ff14, they would have mod support within 6 months of launch

We all know how that went. 3+ years and still no mod support.

Not taking them at their word this time. I'll give them credit when it's actually released and in our hands

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want the Girl Band mod:
Stella as noctis, Lightining as gladiolus, Terra as ignis, Yuna as prompto etc
Cindy Changed with hot version of FF7 cid
Luna is now old noctis
Secondary characters also Change sex, empress, Queen etc

This IS the mod we need

shadoclone

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want the Girl Band mod:
Stella as noctis, Lightining as gladiolus, Terra as ignis, Yuna as prompto etc
Cindy Changed with hot version of FF7 cid
Luna is now old noctis
Secondary characters also Change sex, empress, Queen etc

This IS the mod we need
I hadn't considered this.
I need it.

ElukiaTV

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Not at launch.. so its gonna be a "the game launches with denuvo for the its first weeks till we reach a determined amount of sales, and then we remove it and add the modding tool".. Right?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Square also said this about ff14, they would have mod support within 6 months of launch

We all know how that went. 3+ years and still no mod support.

Not taking them at their word this time. I'll give them credit when it's actually released and in our hands
Are you sure? Mod support for an MMO doesn't sound like the kind of thing anyone would promise.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I want the old appearance of the bros for the whole game i just can't stand this whole typical Japanese Host thing they have going it just rubs me the wrong way, i don't have anything against pretty boys i'm used to that by now but they don't have to look like David Bowie in Labyrinth that's just a bit much.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I don't trust these incremental changes. It reads like it will be very, very restrictive in what you can actually do and you can probably not create crazy shit like in Skyrim and GTA V.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I don't trust these incremental changes. It reads like it will be very, very restrictive in what you can actually do and you can probably not create crazy shit like in Skyrim and GTA V.

If they can work out a structure that keeps resources in line as you layer on more and more changes, I'll love it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why they are being cautious. They've never done this with single player Final Fantasy, and I highly doubt it will be as open ended as Bethesda's modding system.

I hope we can add new areas at the very least. It doesn't need to be right away though. Quest modding and new creatures would be amazing too.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
He believes in the dream
I was hoping Vega GPUs would be a worth while upgrade from my R9 Fury but man that power consumption.
Have there been any news on AMD GPU wise since the launch?
Trust me I want them to be just as good so competition lowers prices. I remember when I bought a 4890 vaporx for chump change. The last non top end cards ended up being pretty poor in comparison to nvidia's offering, I have no idea about their upcoming series.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
[Thomas the Tank Engine intensifies]

CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS

giphy.gif

Bazztek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still wonder if that "Luminous Productions" that was trademarked in September last year by SE is the modding tool mentioned.

Literally day 0.

I would not be surprised if there is already a nude cindy model.
EDIT: or gladio.
Yeah people have already ripped the models from the PC benchmark and from the PS4 version, if you know where to look you can see some.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
That sounds neat.

Mod support alone would make my animosity towards the game take another shape. Maybe I would even wishlist it. :P

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm surprised that they are still this committed to having modding in the game, even if its just words and a cactuar mod party for now.
That's kinda bananas to really think about. How did he convince the heads of SE to let people have a bit of a go at their proprietary technology 10+ years in the making?
"Eh, fuck it. After your next project were trashing it anyway"? Even the FFVII and IX re-releases were cheats only, and the HD remasters ported to the Phyre engine don't have any support.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm surprised that they are still this committed to having modding in the game, even if its just words and a cactuar mod party for now.
That's kinda bananas to really think about. How did he convince the heads of SE to let people have a bit of a go at their proprietary technology 10+ years in the making?
"Eh, fuck it. After your next project were trashing it anyway"? Even the FFVII and IX re-releases were cheats only, and the HD remasters ported to the Phyre engine don't have any support.
Well, Tabata always seemed sincerely interested in making the most out of the PC version and I guess he clearly wants to try to attract the Skyrim/Fallout PC crowd too. Also, they're using the same engine for their new IP for next-gen, which they've already been gearing up work on.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice to see them really caring for PC releases now. It would have really been nice if they were doing that before they had pretty much every FF on Steam, but late's better than never.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
It still amazes me were getting this level of open mod support from a Japanese PC game. And Final Fantasy no less.

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure? Mod support for an MMO doesn't sound like the kind of thing anyone would promise.

Square promised it. After announcing it, then re-confirming development for almost 2 years straight, they finally said "eh"

Gamer.nl: In the past there was often talk about the addition of an API for add-ons, so players can add extra's to the interface. How's that going?

This is postponed because there's big concerns over DPS-meters. If we would add this system in it's current form, I'm concerned players would argue about having or not having such a dps meter. That's why we still have to decide if the use of such a DPS meter will be made available. Currently we're discussing about add-ons which you can use to make design changes in the interface, to have skins for example.
A half year after A Realm Reborn released, we considered implementing addons. We thought about enabling addons in the pc-version, annd later release these features for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. We realised however that this is difficult on consoles, because there's not enough storage space on these systems.
Our biggest concern is making a notable difference between the pc-version of the game, and the game on other platforms through enabling addons. This is why we postponed this feature. It should be noted that doesn't mean we cancelled our plans for addons, but we want to first focus on official features for the game.

Shouldn't have announced/confirmed it for 2 straight years just to shut us down.
Square's gonna have to actually put up this time before I give them any good PR from this announcement.

They're still going with the "someday..." metric by the way, so they won't flat out deny it's coming despite already announcing it.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Square promised it. After announcing it, then re-confirming development for almost 2 years straight, they finally said "eh"

Shouldn't have announced/confirmed it for 2 straight years just to shut us down.
Square's gonna have to actually put up this time before I give them any good PR from this announcement.

They're still going with the "someday..." metric by the way, so they won't flat out deny it's coming despite already announcing it.

The difference now is Tabata has delivered the goods in everything he says he wants to provide, and Square seems pretty much open to letting him do whatever he wants with this game.

I expect we'll see a level editor post release.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

That sounds like they were planning to allow for some slightly more thorough UI customization, not full blown mod support. MMOs aren't mod friendly. Mods would completely break MMOs.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Well yeah obviously. I'm very glad that Tabata is that open to the modding community and he also knows that modding can extend the life of a game for much much longer.

But people would have definitely modded the game with or without Square's blessing. It's too good to pass up a chance to mod any game at all. But I'm very glad that Square is okay with it (for now).

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
That makes me think... could this make Japanese developers take PC versions more seriously, like how Dark Souls' success kickstarted interest in the platform?
I think Japanese game design philosophy is just different from the west, I don't get the sense that they feel modding adds value to their games.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
When it comes to mod support, I wonder how much control movers will have over utilizing and implementing gameworks effects? Will modders be able to replace existing effects with custom gameworks effects?

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Additional info:

"We are planning on Steam Workshop support, and we're also planning on a system without it so players can share mods outside of Steam... We haven't got a dedicated monitoring team at Square Enix, so we may check the mods that go up on Steam Workshop but anything outside Steam we'll leave free."

Shida added, presumably in case players were worried about even just the Steam versions being vetted:

"We don't want to limit people, or the way they play, as much as possible... One of the big philosophies behind the creation of the Windows Edition was to increase the freedom of players to play Final Fantasy XV in the way they want to play the game... We'll leave it free."

We also asked about when Mod Support would be available for Final Fantasy XV. Only the fun mod revealed for turning NPCs into Cactuars and a reskin of player character Noctis's weapons will be available at launch, the rest will come later. Kenichi Shida told us:

"Going forward we're going to add a lot more different modding options, and a specific modding tool. Just seeing the reaction from the community to the Cactuar skins really reaffirmed our belief that players are excited for mods... It won't be a big gap, we intend to be prompt in releasing new skins and upgrades going forwards."