• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone played FFXV and this on the Xbox One X? hows the visuals and performance?

Also FFXV Digital Deluxe is on sale on the XBL does that include this expansion?

Oct 25, 2017
I hate couerls so much. Need to fight 2 at once here and they just spam insta kill attacks and heal themselves. They just ignore my ranged damage and heal through it and insta kill me if I get close. Managed to take one down last time. Tried just using counters and I almost got the second one but he got me with blaster while he was healing. I swear I picked up food right before then but I must have missed. It's a really unfair fight with AI companions.

Edit: And on my fifth attempt my AI companions suddenly learn how to avoid Blaster and we won with ease lol.

Last edited:

rukloveis

Nov 13, 2017
Anyway SE lied, there's no narrative of the whole time skip. Man, there are also errors in the internal continuity of the game. For example:
when you are leaving for Angelgard, Talcott gives you some info. Than you go to Angelgard, take Noctis and...wtf? Now Talcott is 10 years older while bringing Noctis to Hammerhead?

I want to see your character and status.It look like you just play the game without read info on everything.
you get narrative every time you done something in main quest and with some new info on talcott.
They even tell you in main website that this expansion will get update.
But you just spread false info and alway point out bad thing that SE lied or done everything bad about upgrade grind that you it wrong on you 1st post.
You shoud learn to read info in game.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
still in shock by how good the CC is. already seen my share of beautifully designed characters, far better than anything in the main game

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to see your character and status.It look like you just play the game without read info on everything.
you get narrative every time you done something in main quest and with some new info on talcott.
They even tell you in main website that this expansion will get update.
But you just spread false info and alway point out bad thing that SE lied or done everything bad about upgrade grind that you it wrong on you 1st post.
You shoud learn to read info in game.
What? False info? Like? Make some examples. I will post you my stats and info about my character later if you want (when I boot my Ps4), but what false info I released?
I beated the story at level 22.
There's some missing contents, and it's a fact. Just check on the reddit if you dont believe me, you can't get all King's sigils at the moment, you can't travel to Norther Duscae at the moment, despite the option in the fast-travel menu.
The thing II wrote in the spoiler is what happens in the game, so before accusing me of "spreading false info" document yourselt please.
Also for narrative I intent proper cutscenes, not info dropped by Talcott from time to time, or listed in a menu or whatever. There's a gap here, and simply Comrades doesn't cover the missing ten years. It's a fact, plain and simple.
Probably in the future there will be updates, but for now this is the 1.0 version of the game, and this is what you get.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still pretty early but so far I did some main missions and there has been like 0 plot since the start of the DLC. Not that I'm complaining because I only care about the multiplayer, but yeah so far the game has no practically no story advancement.

rukloveis

Nov 13, 2017
What? False info? Like? Make some examples. I will post you my stats and info about my character later if you want (when I boot my Ps4), but what false info I released?
I beated the story at level 22.
There's some missing contents, and it's a fact. Just check on the reddit if you dont believe me, you can't get all King's sigils at the moment, you can't travel to Norther Duscae at the moment, despite the option in the fast-travel menu.
The thing II wrote in the spoiler is what happens in the game, so before accusing me of "spreading false info" document yourselt please.
Also for narrative I intent proper cutscenes, not info dropped by Talcott from time to time, or listed in a menu or whatever. There's a gap here, and simply Comrades doesn't cover the missing ten years. It's a fact, plain and simple.
Probably in the future there will be updates, but for now this is the 1.0 version of the game, and this is what you get.

I talk about upgrade weapon system on you 1st post of this OT that you don't know haw to do it right and you even post wrong info to other people before you learn how to do it.

SE never tell you that it will be all of expansion they even tell you on tgs this expansion will get update.
Everyone who read website and update page in option menu will know and they don't even tell that this expansion will cover everything on missing ten years so i don't know why you call they lied.If they done with update then you can.

edit :I already see everything myself so i know what you talking about missing royal sigil and Norduscaen Garrison i don't have to check reddit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I talk about upgrade weapon system on you 1st post of this OT that you don't know haw to do it right and you even post wrong info to other people before you learn how to do it.

SE never tell you that it will be all of expansion they even tell you on tgs this expansion will get update.
Everyone who read website and update page in option menu will know and they don't even tell that this expansion will cover everything on missing ten years so i don't know why you call they lied.If they done with update then you can.

edit :I already see everything myself so i know what you talking about missing royal sigil and Norduscaen Garrison i don't have to check reddit.
Oh, regarding the weapons. Yeah, in that I was wrong because I didn't read the tutorial properly, it's not that I'd like to "spread falso info". Someone else here debunked what I wrote and it's ok. Still, I thing having 30 or 50 levels for each weapon is useless, I'd prefer just a simple option to turn a weapon into something else when you have all the ingredients instead of leveling it manually everytime.

As I pointed in my spoiler, there are incongruences within the game itself regarding in example Talcott and the whole ten years timeline. Also

"What we're trying to do with that is to depict that missing 10 years of history right at the end of the story," Tabata said, referring to a late chapter in the main game. Players create their own member of the Kingsglaive, the army that protected and fought for the kingdom of Eos, during the Comrades campaign.

"If we had tried to do that as a traditional, full-scale sequel, that would have been very difficult," the director said, "but it works really well in [keeping] that continued relationship with fans."

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, regarding the weapons. Yeah, in that I was wrong because I didn't read the tutorial properly, it's not that I'd like to "spread falso info". Someone else here debunked what I wrote and it's ok. Still, I thing having 30 or 50 levels for each weapon is useless, I'd prefer just a simple option to turn a weapon into something else when you have all the ingredients instead of leveling it manually everytime.

On that note I wouldn't mind bein able to throw in a bunch of ingredients and then watching the level up animation ONCE. Does my head in.

Also what does everyone make of the bartering dude at Meldacio HQ? Any good?

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
just saw video of what seems to be the final mission in the multiplayer and thats got me motivated to play the online mode (I did play it during the beta and enjoyed it but wasn't in a rush to get into it once its released)

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
On that note I wouldn't mind bein able to throw in a bunch of ingredients and then watching the level up animation ONCE. Does my head in.

Also what does everyone make of the bartering dude at Meldacio HQ? Any good?

The one at the trading post?

He has one of the best katanas since when remodeled it can be leveled to 99.

Not sure if it's better than the Nameless Blade at Cauthess Depot though.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Played some tonight and I'm loving it. Going to test a few other weapons but katana is super fun right out the gate.

Man my character looks sick as hell.

This needs to be the building blocks for FF16 or a new FF mmo. There is a blueprint here for an excellent game...
I dunno if the loop is worthy of an entire mainline game, but I would love nothing more than a custom character to be the star!
I actually do expect FFXVI to have character customization and also to be similarily structured as Comrades with a singleplayer story plus optional online multiplayer, shared hubs etc. FFXIV Lite basically. Isn't Monster Hunter World like that too?

I just fear that it won't be as fun to me in multiplayer as Comrades because it probably will have more of the typical MMO combat like FFXIV, Xenoblade etc. or be similar to FFXII, which I don't find engaging, tbh. I've never played a MMO with action-based combat like in Comrades here and it's the first time I'm enjoying one. I think if this wasn't just a small DLC and instead a full-blown, $60 online spin-off with a much better infrastructure and interface (though I really like the UI design itself), this could've been the first MMO I would play regularly. Now imagine if FFXV generally had a much better battle-system too. They should get Platinum or Capcom to help out for a FFXV sequel/spin-off with multiplayer - maaan, just imagine that. FFXV with Automata's buttery-smooth combat but with much more extra mechanics like magic, party attacks, warping etc. Damn.

still in shock by how good the CC is. already seen my share of beautifully designed characters, far better than anything in the main game
Word. I never cared for CC, but here everyone looks so nice and the hair physics are delicious. It's really a good mix of FF and realistic. It actually makes me want CC in a mainline FF now, which I never thought. Curious to see people's reaction if they revealed CC in FFXVI :D

Anyone played FFXV and this on the Xbox One X? hows the visuals and performance?

Also FFXV Digital Deluxe is on sale on the XBL does that include this expansion?
Yes, the Digital Deluxe includes all the DLC from the Season Pass (the three story DLCs and Comrades).

Here's a thread with the XBX comparisons: https://www.resetera.com/threads/final-fantasy-xv-xbox-one-x-comparisons.4247/

Here's a framerate comparison with the Pro's High Mode (4K): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXhpN1pGLfc

EDIT: The_Endgame Oh, DF's XBX analsis video just dropped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvQB7464QzU

- PS4 Pro frame pacing issue still not resolved in High visuals mode (still disappointing)
- X1X features same 3 graphics modes (High, Lite, Steady)
- High mode features dynamic resolution scaling from 1890p while looking a the sky to 1360p but runs at native, no checker board artifacts. XBX also has slightly increased texture filtering.
- Pro uses a "low quality" of CB Rendering, combined with AA image quality is worse than XBX.
- Shadow detail also increased in XBX.
- Despite resolution increase, image quality is not so great, motion + temporal AA can cause pixelation
- Lite and Steady both still operate at 1080p and work like they did on Pro. Steady = 30 FPS, Lite = unlocked

- XBX does not show any frame pacing issues on any of it's modes.
- XBX introduces frame rate drops in city areas. (27~25 FPS) Pro has higher avg frame rate in these areas. (29~30 FPS)
- XBX Frame rate drops pop up during game play as well, during combat.
- Slowdown also occurs when using sleep mode or simply playing the game for a long period of time. FPS drops sharply and sticks to 20 FPS. Restarting the console fixes this issue.
- Lite mode runs between 30 and 40 FPS and causes added judder and tearing. Not recommended.
- Stable mode runs into slow downs too, in similar areas Pro Stable Mode does not.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So... that reddit guide says

Heavy Lance - Lv.50 - Str 55, Vit 55]

My heavy lance only goes up to lvl 40 though, and I think requires 40 on both stats.

Needless to say I don't know how I'm gonna reach both 40 before the cap lol

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can anyone provide thoughts on the story, no spoilers? Are there lots of scenes, or are they all at the end? I was frustrated that comrades started so slow on a narrative front. Wished it started with a bit more bang.

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone provide thoughts on the story, no spoilers? Are there lots of scenes, or are they all at the end? I was frustrated that comrades started so slow on a narrative front. Wished it started with a bit more bang.
There's ONE cutscene in the end. That's it.
And this is my character since somebody asked for it:
KUmsjSM.jpg

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
So... that reddit guide says

My heavy lance only goes up to lvl 40 though, and I think requires 40 on both stats.

Needless to say I don't know how I'm gonna reach both 40 before the cap lol

You may have to make another one if you can't reach it before cap.

There are better more efficient items as you get farther.

Behemoth Incisor is the best STR material giving 20 str for 2500 exp.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone explain how to use food? Aside from buffs after a mission for subsequent ones, is there a way to use food during a battle for heals or buffs?

Do you have to do the first Garula mission multiple times before you unlock a second...?
I just had to do it twice. Don't forget to extend your power grid through the npc next to the quest giver to unlock new quests.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone explain how to use food? Aside from buffs after a mission for subsequent ones, is there a way to use food during a battle for heals or buffs?

I just had to do it twice. Don't forget to extend your power grid through the npc next to the quest giver to unlock new quests.
If you have food on you while dying it revives you. EDIT: After you've been in the Danger state for like 20 seconds or so you get revived by the item if nobody has healed you yet.

Is there a good overview/review video out there for this?
Was wondering too. The lack of any press reviews/previews is strange. The other DLCs had reviews.

Last edited:

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Correction: There are MANY cutscenes, tons of world building dialogue sequences, and one big epic CS at the end....thus far.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man....I'm actually in love with the weapon progression on this expansion. It's shows aspects of everything I wish real MMORPG weapon systems would have.

-Thank god, the weapon passives can behave like actives. I upgraded the base Katana, and the upgrade skill says "Changes Charge attacks to critical hits". I was expecting the charge attack (Attack, pause, wait for sheathe, attack) to just now always be critical, but instead it adds a completely new 3-hit strike animation in place of that attack, complete with camera zoom. And all 3 hits are critical, so it hits like a truck. I have a passive on my mace that does the same thing.

I'm hoping all the weapons have multiple similar passives. It's little tiny emergent qualities like this that can make multiple copies of the same weapon change how you actually use it.

- I also love how some weapons change your offensive/healing spell depending on what's currently being held. Meaning you can have access to all 3 elements + a support/defense spell on your pallete, a massive improvement from the base game. Also, a weapon having a spell doesn't mean it has to have the spellstrike effect either, which is also great.

- The system essentially allows you to build your character using Gil and drops, which is excellent because EXP gain is pathetic, even on difficult missions. But this is offset by good enemy drops, which can add pretty good stats to your weapons, and thus your character. I've gone into missions with higher stats than players 5 levels over me.

- You can buy monster drops, meaning you can essentially buy stats, passives, and i'm sure spells as well.

Constant progression, non-restrictive crafting, freedom, and impactful customization options. Great time sink at the moment.

Havent had much time to play, but last night i ran the Bandersnatch Urgent mission in a party. 2 of my teammates got wiped pretty early, so it was basically a 2-player party. We struggled for a good 5 minutes but didn't even make it to the boss.

I doubt it'll actually reach it with how barebones Comrades seems to be, but this formula definitely has potential.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Do you have to do the first Garula mission multiple times before you unlock a second...?

you can unlock the second mission pretty much as soon as you return from the garula one, but most people use the energy to unlock the clothing store/cid's machine instead

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
I actually do expect FFXVI to have character customization and also to be similarily structured as Comrades with a singleplayer story plus optional online multiplayer, shared hubs etc. FFXIV Lite basically. Isn't Monster Hunter World like that too?
Don't you think that rather Tabata's new game instead XVI will become like this? XVI team maybe didn't gain much experience with the development of comrades. And Tabata's type 0 was also already a multiplayer character/ mission based game.
Of course, I also believe that XVI will get online functionalities.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever game has it, FF or a new IP, this character creator needs to come back. It's my favorite one I've gotten to play with. I'm in love with what my guy looks like.

This DLC just needs layers and the years of a full dev team behind it to flesh out an experience that would be GOTY material.

This is just coming off the top of my head, but here is some things I would do:

Keep the equipment system clothes where clothes can have a stat tucked away on them. Once you obtain that piece of clothing (bought, drops, rewards) you can take the stat it gives and put it onto any piece of gear you want. So you can still look fashion great, but be tweaking your character's stats.

Design enemy/boss encounters with mechanics around them. I.E. A boss is trying to lead a legion of enemies to break down the city door, but he's out on a hill, but his goons are near the door. Split up team to have some fight boss, and some keep enemies from getting in. I.E2: Boss has to be fought in an arena. Marlboro for example. The area is covered in poison plumes, and the team has to avoid those and get rid of them to reach boss to start damaging it by switching valves to get rid of the gas. In general think MMO raid/boss encounters for a start.

More refinement to classes. Without delving too far into this one just simply think roles: Mages, DDs, Tank. I would not have a healing class though and let every character be capable of healing like it's set up already so it remains action combat focused.

Keep the open world from 15, but give a reason story wise the characters can only go a little bit further at a time aside from obvious level requirements like you haven't restored light to that area yet. The online portion I would take bits of what is out there. Destiny pseduo MMO grouping up to do story quests, instances, and full blown raids.

Story should be focused around your character you create. Take the Fallout thing of picking your name from a giant list and that they will actually say it. Go one step farther and let the player use a headset to say their own name, and the game plays it back so you can also change the high low pitch to the voice for your character. Yes it will get abused for Butt Sniffer being the lead role, but meh it's your game do you.

Combat refinement I would look at Dragon's Dogma and Nier Automata for inspiration for sure.

Finally----make it difficult. Maybe a pinch less than Bloodborne difficult, but difficult nontheless.

If that game above is ever made or something akin to it from Square I'm there day 0.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you think that rather Tabata's new game instead XVI will become like this? XVI team maybe didn't gain much experience with the development of comrades. And Tabata's type 0 was also already a multiplayer character/ mission based game.
Of course, I also believe that XVI will get online functionalities.
Tabata's new game will of course have online elements too, but I believe FFXVI might go even more into that SP + Co-Op direction. Obviously BD5 will have their own FFXIV as a foundation for FFXVI, they don't need to look at or learn from Comrades (if anything BD2 should look at FFXIV to improve Comrades' structure and interface).

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Whatever game has it, FF or a new IP, this character creator needs to come back. It's my favorite one I've gotten to play with. I'm in love with what my guy looks like.

just add it to every game ever; yes, every game. i want my l'oreal perfect character even in dwarf fortress and football manager

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

This DLC just needs layers and the years of a full dev team behind it to flesh out an experience that would be GOTY material.

This is just coming off the top of my head, but here is some things I would do:

Keep the equipment system clothes where clothes can have a stat tucked away on them. Once you obtain that piece of clothing (bought, drops, rewards) you can take the stat it gives and put it onto any piece of gear you want. So you can still look fashion great, but be tweaking your character's stats.

Design enemy/boss encounters with mechanics around them. I.E. A boss is trying to lead a legion of enemies to break down the city door, but he's out on a hill, but his goons are near the door. Split up team to have some fight boss, and some keep enemies from getting in. I.E2: Boss has to be fought in an arena. Marlboro for example. The area is covered in poison plumes, and the team has to avoid those and get rid of them to reach boss to start damaging it by switching valves to get rid of the gas. In general think MMO raid/boss encounters for a start.

More refinement to classes. Without delving too far into this one just simply think roles: Mages, DDs, Tank. I would not have a healing class though and let every character be capable of healing like it's set up already so it remains action combat focused.

Keep the open world from 15, but give a reason story wise the characters can only go a little bit further at a time aside from obvious level requirements like you haven't restored light to that area yet. The online portion I would take bits of what is out there. Destiny pseduo MMO grouping up to do story quests, instances, and full blown raids.

Story should be focused around your character you create. Take the Fallout thing of picking your name from a giant list and that they will actually say it. Go one step farther and let the player use a headset to say their own name, and the game plays it back so you can also change the high low pitch to the voice for your character. Yes it will get abused for Butt Sniffer being the lead role, but meh it's your game do you.

Combat refinement I would look at Dragon's Dogma and Nier Automata for inspiration for sure.

Finally----make it difficult. Maybe a pinch less than Bloodborne difficult, but difficult nontheless.

If that game above is ever made or something akin to it from Square I'm there day 0.
I like how clothes have no stats. Having to switch around stats everytime you change clothes would be unnecessary; why even tie them to clothes if you want to be able to change them anyway. Have something like Materia/Accessories/Rings for stats and skills. Don't tie offensive magic spells to weapons either, just have passive skills for those. Let us set 4 spells to L2 + face buttons instead of only two buttons for offensive and healing spells. Maybe even use L2 + face buttons for 4 more skills (locking on to party members doesn't seem important enough right now to dedicate R2 to it).

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, I forgot that there are hints that XIV-members are doing the next installment

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If FF16 absolutely had to go FFXV's Action-RPG route, this multiplayer expansion is a decent baseline to start from.

• Infinitely better magic system - this can't be stressed enough. FFXV's magic system was awful, from your spells incapacitating your own party to them being near identical AOE attacks with different animations, to the awful crafting aspect making spells limited use. You can summon weapons out of thin air and have an infinite-use ring that sucks enemies into another dimension, but a fire spell needs to be stored in a flask? Not for the Kingsglaive in Comrades, so why does the King himself suck so bad?
  • Weapon upgrade paths reminiscient of FF13, one of the better aspects of it that was severely neglected until end/post game.
  • Character customization - I never want create-a-characters in non-MMO FF's, I want an identifiable and well written cast. However, FFXV's customization boils down to equipping entire outfits. Why it was never designed with this level of granularity has always baffled me - being able to equip Helmet A, Gloves D, and Armor B is like RPG 101.
  • Side quests affecting quest hubs - MMO's have understood for years now that to make rote side questing more engaging is to have some kind of permanent effect on the environment and the characters within it on either a global scale (think WoW's Ahn'Qiraj) or by individual differences (FFXIV's Beast Tribe outposts, WoW's phasing). Can you imagine if FFXV had more of this? If fixing up people's cars increased the amount of cars you'd see driving the roads, if clearing out a mine allowed NPC's to resume mining, if rescuing an NPC added them to a town like Soul Blazer?
This may be a poor man's Monster Hunter but there are too many obvious improvements to the base game that it is honestly a shame that the Windows version isn't being completely overhauled and having these systems merged into the main scenario. FFXV could have been so much more than a clunky tech demo.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Ah yes, I forgot that there are hints that XIV-members are doing the next installment

If true, that's great news imo. FFXIV has an exceptionally underrated story (mostly because MMO culture forces everyone to rush and skip the cutscenes). Not only this, but FFXIV's world-building, atmosphere, and OST. All to die for.

I just can't play it cuz I got addicted and it almost ruined my life. :( In order to stop myself I had to delete my passcode app without unregistering it first. Now I can never log back in even if I wanted to. It's for the best though.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
There are so few people talking about this expansion that I legitimately feel like I'm probably missing stuff because there's no one to tell me otherwise.

Has anyone figured out how to change who cooks for you? I've seen videos of Cindy as the party's chef for instance but can't figure that out.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should try to recreate Agni in Comrades for future comparisons with Tabata's next game :D

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
There are so few people talking about this expansion that I legitimately feel like I'm probably missing stuff because there's no one to tell me otherwise.

Has anyone figured out how to change who cooks for you? I've seen videos of Cindy as the party's chef for instance but can't figure that out.

It's random who shows up and when they do appear it seems they have their own set recipe that disregards any food your party has picked up.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
If FF16 absolutely had to go FFXV's Action-RPG route, this multiplayer expansion is a decent baseline to start from.

• Infinitely better magic system - this can't be stressed enough. FFXV's magic system was awful, from your spells incapacitating your own party to them being near identical AOE attacks with different animations, to the awful crafting aspect making spells limited use. You can summon weapons out of thin air and have an infinite-use ring that sucks enemies into another dimension, but a fire spell needs to be stored in a flask? Not for the Kingsglaive in Comrades, so why does the King himself suck so bad?
  • Weapon upgrade paths reminiscient of FF13, one of the better aspects of it that was severely neglected until end/post game.
  • Character customization - I never want create-a-characters in non-MMO FF's, I want an identifiable and well written cast. However, FFXV's customization boils down to equipping entire outfits. Why it was never designed with this level of granularity has always baffled me - being able to equip Helmet A, Gloves D, and Armor B is like RPG 101.
  • Side quests affecting quest hubs - MMO's have understood for years now that to make rote side questing more engaging is to have some kind of permanent effect on the environment and the characters within it on either a global scale (think WoW's Ahn'Qiraj) or by individual differences (FFXIV's Beast Tribe outposts, WoW's phasing). Can you imagine if FFXV had more of this? If fixing up people's cars increased the amount of cars you'd see driving the roads, if clearing out a mine allowed NPC's to resume mining, if rescuing an NPC added them to a town like Soul Blazer?
This may be a poor man's Monster Hunter but there are too many obvious improvements to the base game that it is honestly a shame that the Windows version isn't being completely overhauled and having these systems merged into the main scenario. FFXV could have been so much more than a clunky tech demo.
Yeaaah, agreed about the magic and the customization system in FFXV - really baffling how lacking latter was (like why can't you mix pieces of different outfits??). It's crazy how much better the magic system makes the battles flow when you don't have to go into the item menu every few minutes to heal and revive your dumb-ass party members. Such a small thing, but it makes a huge difference. It would be quite a bit of work, but I think somehow trying to revamp the magic system in the main game would be worth it. How would you obtain spells though? What about the magic drawing mechanic? Maybe you could create spells by mixing elemency and items and then keep those spells indefinitely?

Check out the FFXV Reddit for tips on Comrades: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/

gcncontroller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FL
i managed to accumulate negative experience, somehow? i did 3 quick play hunts and instead of dinging level 2 after the 3rd one it just says "level 1 exp: -66"

it's kinda fun. i'll probably give it a few more hours this weekend

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeaaah, agreed about the magic and the customization system in FFXV - really baffling how lacking latter was (like why can't you mix pieces of different outfits??). It's crazy how much better the magic system makes the battles flow when you don't have to go into the item menu every few minutes to heal and revive your dumb-ass party members. Such a small thing, but it makes a huge difference. It would be quite a bit of work, but I think somehow trying to revamp the magic system in the main game would be worth it. How would you obtain spells though? What about the magic drawing mechanic? Maybe you could create spells by mixing elemency and items and then keep those spells indefinitely?

The way I'd revamp the main game's magic:

I'd have elemental nodes a little more scarce (think hunting them down as a collectible ala Bluegleam in HZD), and you craft spells once and unlock them forever.

Get rid of elemancy completely, adding random effects and bonuses to spells is honestly unnecessary if you make the spells themselves rewarding and useful.

Have some spells be level/mana restricted, for example, can't cast Firaga until level 58 or until you have 300 mana. This adds another layer of progression to the current leveling system, giving people a reason to want to level up.

Change the magic talent tree to add effects to different spells. Example, increase Firaga blast range by 20%, increase Blizzaga freeze time by 2 seconds, etc.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
The way I'd revamp the main game's magic:

I'd have elemental nodes a little more scarce (think hunting them down as a collectible ala Bluegleam in HZD), and you craft spells once and unlock them forever.

Get rid of elemancy completely, adding random effects and bonuses to spells is honestly unnecessary if you make the spells themselves rewarding and useful.

Have some spells be level/mana restricted, for example, can't cast Firaga until level 58 or until you have 300 mana. This adds another layer of progression to the current leveling system, giving people a reason to want to level up.

Change the magic talent tree to add effects to different spells. Example, increase Firaga blast range by 20%, increase Blizzaga freeze time by 2 seconds, etc.
Hmm, sounds pretty good!

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I had the urgent treant quest glitch out multiple times now, it gives me the message that the bosses have spawned, but they simply don't. It worked once and didn't work twice...

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
I'm not sure I can play much more of this unless they add a way to repeat a hunt you want to farm without having to go back to town and reload everything again. Same goes for being able to quickly repeat something that you failed. This is just thoughtless design.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I can play much more of this unless they add a way to repeat a hunt you want to farm without having to go back to town and reload everything again. Same goes for being able to quickly repeat something that you failed. This is just thoughtless design.
Yeah, they really have to patch this in.

Oct 25, 2017
i managed to accumulate negative experience, somehow? i did 3 quick play hunts and instead of dinging level 2 after the 3rd one it just says "level 1 exp: -66"

it's kinda fun. i'll probably give it a few more hours this weekend

It's a known bug that happens when multiple people level up in camp post-mission. Only the first person who exits gets the actual level up, anyone else gets the negative number. If it happens to me I just do a quick mission with AIs and that seems to sort it, or you can do an online mission and hope that either nobody else levels or you're the first to leave the camp screen. You don't actually lose the xp though, it's more that it delays the level up.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They dont really need to remove elemancy as much as revamp it. The problem with Elemancy isn't the concept, it's the execution. It requires too much menu use and it takes up a weapon spot.

Something as simple as allowing you to access your flasks in the regular Item menu would do wonders. Selecting one would temporarily replace your equipped weapon until you either cast the spell or use the D-Pad. But as it currently stands, it's really pointless to have more than 2-3 flasks because you'll never really make use of them.

The Comrades equipment/magic system absolutely needs to be added to the main game, because it would enhance the game's combat so greatly. Simply give Noctis/Bros the ability to cast Offensive/Healing magic depending on which weapon they have equipped.

This would do wonders for the base game because it would also give compounding value to every piece of gear in the game, specifically the Royal Arms. Each Royal Arm could provide some unique or really powerful spell that only Noctis can use.

And if they had done this earlier, they probably never would have needed to buff the Ring of Lucii in Ch.13 because it could have had 2 extra abilities tied to it. Offensive spell = Ruin, Healing spell = Regis crystal shield, Death and Alterna could have stayed the same.

(Or, Offensive spell = Death, and the regular attack button would have been some kind of ruin/phantom sword style attack.)

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like how clothes have no stats. Having to switch around stats everytime you change clothes would be unnecessary; why even tie them to clothes if you want to be able to change them anyway. Have something like Materia/Accessories/Rings for stats and skills. Don't tie offensive magic spells to weapons either, just have passive skills for those. Let us set 4 spells to L2 + face buttons instead of only two buttons for offensive and healing spells. Maybe even use L2 + face buttons for 4 more skills (locking on to party members doesn't seem important enough right now to dedicate R2 to it).

I'm fine with all that. You see yourself though that if we can just brainstorm this stuff quickly on a board in a matter of minutes, then a development team making $ to come up with good ideas should be able to do just this if not more to create a game around.

Here's hoping someone out there is reading this and stealing the ideas. :)