• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Went back in last night and basically rebuilt an Onikiri from scratch, upgrading it properly to its remodel this time. Upgraded the hammer from Old Lestallum to its second form, too. Even with both of those equipped and upgraded a bit, along with an upgraded Obelisk, I'm still showing up as having 34 Strength on the loading screens. I don't get it. :/

I'm outputting insane amounts of damage with the remodeled weapons and regularly get top or second place in damage output, so maybe it's just a display glitch?

Also, wasting 38000 kW on the Untouchable royal sigil was super disappointing. What good is a taunt gonna do?

gcncontroller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FL
It's a known bug that happens when multiple people level up in camp post-mission. Only the first person who exits gets the actual level up, anyone else gets the negative number. If it happens to me I just do a quick mission with AIs and that seems to sort it, or you can do an online mission and hope that either nobody else levels or you're the first to leave the camp screen. You don't actually lose the xp though, it's more that it delays the level up.
i figured as much, haha, just thought it was pretty blatant. how did they not catch that during the beta? thanks for the advice!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly an amazing amazing amount of good, if you need to carry a party that can't avoid attacks

The one time I tried to use it, my entire party got obliterated by hobgoblins in the first helixhorn mission because they wouldn't stop attacking them even while I was taunting.

I guess they didn't realize how much higher level those goblins are compared to the actual quest objective enemies. Womp womp.

Oct 25, 2017
They dont really need to remove elemancy as much as revamp it. The problem with Elemancy isn't the concept, it's the execution. It requires too much menu use and it takes up a weapon spot.

Something as simple as allowing you to access your flasks in the regular Item menu would do wonders. Selecting one would temporarily replace your equipped weapon until you either cast the spell or use the D-Pad. But as it currently stands, it's really pointless to have more than 2-3 flasks because you'll never really make use of them.

The Comrades equipment/magic system absolutely needs to be added to the main game, because it would enhance the game's combat so greatly. Simply give Noctis/Bros the ability to cast Offensive/Healing magic depending on which weapon they have equipped.

I've said this before but L2 for Summons was a complete waste of a button. I think if they wanted to keep the basic idea of the elemancy system but improve the usability to something more akin to Comrades they should have something like this.

- L2 is magic mode. Attack button to throw your magic grenade (I used B controls so Square for me), lock-on + warp button = death, no lock-on + warp button = Aeterna. To summon you'd hold down the magic button and the techniques button.
- When pressing L2 the weapon pallet is replaced by a magic pallet so up to 4 spells are accessible without entering the menu.
- You can store up to 999 of each element, even if you can still only use 99 per creation.
- All enemies drop elements, using a elemental extracting weapon just increases the amount.
- Flasks don't disappear when they are used up can be replenished for a lower cost than the initial creation. Then have ascension nodes that further lower this cost.
- Make it so you can link flask together and duplicate the recipe, at the same lowered cost as replenishing. Linked flask would stack on the magic pallet (ie. 4 charges in one flask + 4 charges in a linked flask = 8 charges altogether).
- If a flask is empty replenishment can be done in real time by holding L2 + direction button of empty flask, without needing to go into the menu.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
I've said this before but L2 for Summons was a complete waste of a button. I think if they wanted to keep the basic idea of the elemancy system but improve the usability to something more akin to Comrades they should have something like this.

- L2 is magic mode. Attack button to throw your magic grenade (I used B controls so Square for me), lock-on + warp button = death, no lock-on + warp button = Aeterna. To summon you'd hold down the magic button and the techniques button.
- When pressing L2 the weapon pallet is replaced by a magic pallet so up to 4 spells are accessible without entering the menu.
- You can store up to 999 of each element, even if you can still only use 99 per creation.
- All enemies drop elements, using a elemental extracting weapon just increases the amount.
- Flasks don't disappear when they are used up can be replenished for a lower cost than the initial creation. Then have ascension nodes that further lower this cost.
- Make it so you can link flask together and duplicate the recipe, at the same lowered cost as replenishing. Linked flask would stack on the magic pallet (ie. 4 charges in one flask + 4 charges in a linked flask = 8 charges altogether).
- If a flask is empty replenishment can be done in real time by holding L2 + direction button of empty flask, without needing to go into the menu.

The fact that you basically described Kingdom hearts battle system, a game nearly 20 years old now, is both laughable yet sad. I really hope the magic system in the main game is patched.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you basically described Kingdom hearts battle system, a game nearly 20 years old now, is both laughable yet sad. I really hope the magic system in the main game is patched.
Wait, I always thought you had to choose spells from a menu in KH. I only really played KH1, but don't remember anymore.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
vMGJcDr.jpg
What I think about having to load camp before and after each quest

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've said this before but L2 for Summons was a complete waste of a button.

It was. Pretty much any use other than the current one would be better.

I don't even have an issue with the one-time use of Elemancy or having to craft the flasks. The main problem is how unintuitive they are to use. Elemancy is STUPID powerful in the actual game, and it's satisfying to watch enemies disappear in a flash, but using them is just so clunky that I pretty much only ever bother when I just don't feel like dealing with a specific group of enemies.

the status effects you can give to it are actually pretty cool, but in any fight where you ACTUALLY need status effects, it's never worth unequipping an entire weapon + stats for the ability to occasionally use magic. This counts double for the bros because they can only equip a single weapon, and you can't even command them to use stocked magic.

I'm really hoping they come up with some kind of fix for it come PC version.

But I feel like simply allowing you to access them by list is ideal because the flasks have cooldowns anyway and come endgame you have like 10 of them. And mixing the flasks with items is one of the better parts of the system, so I wouldn't wanna see that go.

Oct 25, 2017
The one time I tried to use it, my entire party got obliterated by hobgoblins in the first helixhorn mission because they wouldn't stop attacking them even while I was taunting.

I guess they didn't realize how much higher level those goblins are compared to the actual quest objective enemies. Womp womp.

Yeah. This is my experience too. The counter is amazing for when I have to solo something because my party died, but good luck getting a lot off while your party's around.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been eyeing this for awhile and notice people saying this is the best character creator they've ever seen.

All I see though is a lot of characters that look the same (just different hair colors). So now I'm left thinking one of two things:

1) There isn't much variance in facial or body structure. You can make fat OR skinny. Those are the two options that exist for both face and body types. There is an illusion of of a robust creator however.

2) The people saying this, think the creator is good because it doesn't let them make "ugly" characters. A "good" character creator would allow you to mess up... Horribly. This happens when you have a ton of options that not all but the best would be able to use well.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been eyeing this for awhile and notice people saying this is the best character creator they've ever seen.

All I see though is a lot of characters that look the same (just different hair colors). So now I'm left thinking one of two things:

1) There isn't much variance in facial or body structure. You can make fat OR skinny. Those are the two options that exist for both face and body types. There is an illusion of of a robust creator however.

2) The people saying this, think the creator is good because it doesn't let them make "ugly" characters. A "good" character creator would allow you to mess up... Horribly. This happens when you have a ton of options that not all but the best would be able to use well.
If you check Twitter you can also find "ugly" ones. Of course many will gravitate towards the more average ones and don't mess too much with the sliders. Also you don't have every hair style at the beginning and can buy more of them as you progress and unlock stuff. Not sure if you get more facial structures later though, but you can blend between two different faces. You can make all kinds of body builds, petite, fit, chubby, plus-size etc. and permutations of facial structures. Most you saw just chose not to stray too much from the average parameters. It is pretty detailed if you want to.

Last edited:

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Is there a weapon building guide up somewhere yet. I got this Stormlance but I don't wanna level the wrong stats and waste it after what happened with my Kite Shield suddenly requiring strength on the second level. Glad my Club didn't don't that to me. Sweet delicious 100% crit chance.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez the Golden Axe (upgraded Imperial Axe) is a goddamn monster. Almost makes me wish I went into a strength build into a magic one.

My brother and sister havent gotten into this yet so I'm probably just going to start over with a new character when they do. There's a LOT of stuff they really don't tell you, but for me I like finding out that stuff.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm getting some shitty bugs dampening my enjoyment today.

Keeps sending me to offline. Can't go online without going back to titl screen and all the loading.

Got a group to do quest then we all ready Up but it won't initiate . Waste over 4 mins.

Not a good look ...

Oct 25, 2017
Jeez the Golden Axe (upgraded Imperial Axe) is a goddamn monster. Almost makes me wish I went into a strength build into a magic one.

My brother and sister havent gotten into this yet so I'm probably just going to start over with a new character when they do. There's a LOT of stuff they really don't tell you, but for me I like finding out that stuff.

You can create more characters, and although they start at level 1 you can use all the equipment you've unlocked with your first. So you can try different builds without starting from scratch.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can create more characters, and although they start at level 1 you can use all the equipment you've unlocked with your first. So you can try different builds without starting from scratch.

Oh shit, that's amazing. I already upgraded my axe to give me an extra 100 points in magic. But it's cool knowing I can just grind mats with my high level character for my low level ones.

Xevren

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm getting some shitty bugs dampening my enjoyment today.

Keeps sending me to offline. Can't go online without going back to titl screen and all the loading.

Got a group to do quest then we all ready Up but it won't initiate . Waste over 4 mins.

Not a good look ...

PSN? There's a lot of issues right now online just because there's a free weekend going on. These weekends are always painful.

Oct 27, 2017
I've had to abort two different quests halfway through because the enemies don't spawn when they should--it's incredibly annoying. Everyone just runs around for 5 minutes and then leaves

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I always thought you had to choose spells from a menu in KH. I only really played KH1, but don't remember anymore.

Yep KH has had spell/item shortcut assignment since the start to the L1+[face button] command :)

In other news I've had a chance to sit down with this thing for a few hours and I guess I'll write up my impressions below!

What I like:
+ I already really liked XV's combat system, and this has made it even better with better integration of magic, WAY better difficulty balance (no item spamming!) and Weapon upgrading is fun!
+ Returning characters, it gives the experience a lot of charm. My avatar is basically "me" so seeing me fight with Aranea was fun haha.
+ Speaking of Avatar's, love the character creator! So so good to the point where NPC's like Holly look awful in comparison. Hope BD2 builds on this thing.
+ Fighting alongside other people online is just straight up great.
+ The kWH system, i'm really digging it. In terms of a gameplay loop I can see it getting grindy, but as of right now it's fun.
+ Sigils seem promising.
+Vyv and his photos. Once again this game always goes one exta with cute stuff like this.
+ Talcott's lore ramblings are..a thing? I guess that's one way to tell a story!
+ Some of the new tracks are awesome!

Didn't like:
- Okay, I think at this point we can safely assume that there is a certain level of "jankiness" that is very specifically identified with FFXV. It can't just be me...and you all know what I mean right? The bizarre loading times (we have to go back to camp everytime?!), the Jump and Confirm "quirk", the camera STILL not setting the Near Clip Plane to hide objects obstructing the combat....the UI is a bit better off in comrades than XV though but I mean come on BD2! There's so much polish in so many other areas of the game, but these little niggles really hold the experience back.
- More introductory cutscenes would've been nice but it is what it is.
- I know it's the "World of Ruin" but I'm not a huge fan of how murky and brown everything looks right now. But I'm not sure what I would have done about this given the narrative demands.

I'm really enjoying it so far, ERA how easily are you able to play online with each other? Is it fairly simple to form a group and start playing?

Oct 25, 2017
- I know it's the "World of Ruin" but I'm not a huge fan of how murky and brown everything looks right now. But I'm not sure what I would have done about this given the narrative demands.

Easy, introduce Umbra the magic time and dimensions dog, and have him give you quests in the past 'cause you have to learn from the past to know the future and stuff.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Yep KH has had spell/item shortcut assignment since the start to the L1+[face button] command :)

In other news I've had a chance to sit down with this thing for a few hours and I guess I'll write up my impressions below!

What I like:
+ I already really liked XV's combat system, and this has made it even better with better integration of magic, WAY better difficulty balance (no item spamming!) and Weapon upgrading is fun!
+ Returning characters, it gives the experience a lot of charm. My avatar is basically "me" so seeing me fight with Aranea was fun haha.
+ Speaking of Avatar's, love the character creator! So so good to the point where NPC's like Holly look awful in comparison. Hope BD2 builds on this thing.
+ Fighting alongside other people online is just straight up great.
+ The kWH system, i'm really digging it. In terms of a gameplay loop I can see it getting grindy, but as of right now it's fun.
+ Sigils seem promising.
+Vyv and his photos. Once again this game always goes one exta with cute stuff like this.
+ Talcott's lore ramblings are..a thing? I guess that's one way to tell a story!
+ Some of the new tracks are awesome!

Didn't like:
- Okay, I think at this point we can safely assume that there is a certain level of "jankiness" that is very specifically identified with FFXV. It can't just be me...and you all know what I mean right? The bizarre loading times (we have to go back to camp everytime?!), the Jump and Confirm "quirk", the camera STILL not setting the Near Clip Plane to hide objects obstructing the combat....the UI is a bit better off in comrades than XV though but I mean come on BD2! There's so much polish in so many other areas of the game, but these little niggles really hold the experience back.
- More introductory cutscenes would've been nice but it is what it is.

I'm really enjoying it so far, ERA how easily are you able to play online with each other? Is it fairly simple to form a group and start playing?
Nice writeup. I'm having a blast with some of the missions and this refined combat (not perfect yet, but much better than the main game), but yeah, as you said, these bad design decisions like not being able to easily play with a set group of people or friends e.g. through a party invite system, the unnecessary pre-mission camp with a long loading screen, too long cooking/result menu after missions, forced return to Lestallum after every, often short mission with a long loading screen and with no option to instantly repeat a mission or select another one without returning to Lestallum, having to return to the title screen after losing a connection/returning from Sleep Mode to reconnect to servers manually etc. really dampen an otherwise potentially great experience. There is a fun foundation here and I could see myself playing this a lot if they keep supporting it and fix the mentioned issues somehow, but I'm not sure BD2 is able or willing to invest in patching this substantially considering it's just a small DLC and not a full fledged online game. The team is obviously not experienced in this type of stuff yet. Most we'll get are probably weekly missions, new costumes etc.

And yeah, the character creator is great. Also the music is nice! Lots of new songs. Gotta look for the credits to see who besides Uematsu composed for this.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
So, is there a consensus on the best weapons so far ?

Nameless Katana, and Yoshitmitsu for katanas since they can be leveled to 99 once remodeled which lets them have very high attack power.

I have the Yoshimitsu remodeled and almost always hit for max damage when using a charge attack.

Not sure about the other weapons, but the Tainted Mace when remodeled get 50% more damage when hitting breakable parts and its charge attack is really good.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy hell. Game crashing entirely now tonight.

Actually failed a fight with people with the horse riders in the tunnel.

Oh, and I want to punch everyone who doesn't ready up at camp and instead runs around like an asshole wondering why it isn't playing. You didn't get 5+ missions in without readying up...c'mon.

Edit: 3 crashes in a row. CE-34878-0 on PS4 Pro. I'm about to call it on this entirely. I have limited time to play and the 7 year long loading times to get back to the game is not helping.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
Holy hell. Game crashing entirely now tonight.

Actually failed a fight with people with the horse riders in the tunnel.

Oh, and I want to punch everyone who doesn't ready up at camp and instead runs around like an asshole wondering why it isn't playing. You didn't get 5+ missions in without readying up...c'mon.

Edit: 3 crashes in a row. CE-34878-0 on PS4 Pro. I'm about to call it on this entirely. I have limited time to play and the 7 year long loading times to get back to the game is not helping.

I still don't entirely know what to do at the camp site. But I'm only a couple missions deep.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't entirely know what to do at the camp site. But I'm only a couple missions deep.

Go up to red barrel and ready up. There's an icon in lower right by everyone's name that says "ready" when they ready up so it's easy to tell who hasn't.

I just got into a game with people, and at the training spot against the cactaur we were all able to talk to one another, but it wouldn't take us into the mission. Man if I was reviewing this it would get trashed for all these bugs. This is unacceptable...

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
Go up to red barrel and ready up. There's an icon in lower right by everyone's name that says "ready" when they ready up so it's easy to tell who hasn't.

I just got into a game with people, and at the training spot against the cactaur we were all able to talk to one another, but it wouldn't take us into the mission. Man if I was reviewing this it would get trashed for all these bugs. This is unacceptable...

I got that much. I just wish there was something more to do like in the Gathering Hall in Monster Hunter.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got that much. I just wish there was something more to do like in the Gathering Hall in Monster Hunter.

I'm so pumped up for MH World Demo/beta next month. Between this and that, someone out there is taking care of my RPG needs at last in Japan.

I too wish there was more going on with the hubs. The main town should support like 10 people, and we can skip the camping area. Make it a little more like Destiny's tower for scooping up stuff.

Soul Unison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"You're the talk of the town - thanks to those photos."

Holy hell, shut up, Vyv. And... are you threatening me? What kind of photos? I don't respond well to blackmail.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Bosses can sometimes drop a rare weapon.

Bandersnatch dropped some daggers for me called Crimson Flashes with Warp Combo: Firaga.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Man I'm strugging having enough mats for my weapons and starting to fall behind. Gonna have to enter grind mode , right?lol

Synless

Oct 30, 2017
How does the upgrade system work exactly? Specifically I had my polearm evolve, yet no other weapon has and just maxed out.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Downloading, was planning to wait and hope for a Black Friday sale but couldn't wait anymore.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think there's a big error, at least with italian subs. When you save some refugees and you need to select the chief, the game tells you one of the reward is Kw. I selected always Kw, but I always got guils instead?

Another bug is the fact in Iris' store the name of the items superimpose their prices, making very hard to see the actual price.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

Don't forget picking up food at the camps too. Food revives you after 20 seconds of being in Danger state unless someone heals you before. But you can also pick up food that killed enemies drop during battles. So yeah, that pre-mission camp is totally unnecessary and just adds to the long times between doing missions. They could just give every one the same food automatically at the start of a mission. And if people want to prepare and change their equipment they could just do that in the city.

Feniks

Oct 30, 2017
Just started playing this today. I hate that I love it. I will never get rid of my backlog :'(

I didn't really like the beta, but this looks and plays great.

One thing that's disappointing is that it seems like the Yuffie style weapon (boomerang?) seems to do no damage. I'll probably stick to the sword again.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing this today. I hate that I love it. I will never get rid of my backlog :'(

I didn't really like the beta, but this looks and plays great.

One thing that's disappointing is that it seems like the Yuffie style weapon (boomerang?) seems to do no damage. I'll probably stick to the sword again.
Shurikens have become my favorite weapon here :D Never used them in the main game (well, probably because the only shuriken was a royal weapon, which drain HP while using them). Love the look and feel of its warp-strike animation. If you upgrade them and use it on an enemy that's weak to that weapon type it does good enough damage, e.g. on the wyverns.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Game keeps crashing on me when loading a mission, was working fine for an hour or so but now constant crashes.

Edit: Restarting the console fixed the problem.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Hotarumaru(dropped from a boss as The Besmirched Blade) is fucking life. With all my offensive passives it usually out damages the rest of the team combined and can keep pase with players twice my level.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Goddamnit HP mats have flatout disapeared from my game. I got them at first with the giant Garula quest but not anymore.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if I should try this game again. There's been so much changed. I just played it for a few days after it launched. I thought it had a strong first few hours but the grew to really dislike it.