• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
Good for SE!! I hope this doesn't mean they think they can release games in an incomplete state.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
That photo scares the hell out of me,

Where did you get that from!? If Tabata is the person that is put as the director of SD5, I will have a freaking heart attack. FFXV has the worst battle system FF has ever produced, one where its literally impossible to die in. Please dont make a Seiken Densetsu game, EVER, Tabata. Please...
LOL, that was just a photo op at the SoM remake's booth at TGS last year. Other SE devs were there too:

Hiromichi Tanaka (Secret of Mana producer)

oT89YTi.jpg

Koichi Ishii (Secret of Mana director)

9xzt396.jpg

Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana composer), Masaru Oyamada (current Mana series producer) & someone

yVAaOlq.jpg

Kenji Ito (Seiken Densetsu composer), Oyamada & others

TuS4wud.jpg

Akitoshi Kawazu (Legend of Mana producer)

87Ml9Rn.jpg

Takashi Tokita (Hanjuku Hero producer) & Oyamada

2OF01Ll.jpg

Hajime Tabata (FFXV director) & Akio Ofuji (FFXV marketing manager)

jlFN4vV.jpg

Takeo Kujiraoka (Dissidia NT Director) & Ichiro Hazama (Dissidia NT Producer)

UlBDHCu.jpg

Square Enix USA Staff & Oyamada

sWv7hrz.jpg

Yosuke Matsuda (Square Enix CEO) & Oyamada

xbtjs9v.jpg

Source: https://twitter.com/Seiken_PR;
DiipuSurotu

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
This is my favorite FF game. I simply love the story and the characters; and this is coming from someone who bought the game at launch.

I am currently waiting for the inevitable Full Edition next year once all the DLCs are released so I can play it again.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Major QoL changes (like one simple ability is you can stack up to ten hunts at a time, and you can turn them in at any outpost to receive the EXP and rewards), plus the story has been significantly fleshed out (more cutscenes, more exposition, more of the story actually happening on screen), hugely improved performance and graphics (my PS4 still sounds like a jet plane playing this game but there's no more FPS drops), better camera, stuff like timed quests, you can now play as Galdiolus/Prompto/Ignis, and so on and on and on.
There's a whole lot. I hadn't kept up with the game since launch, I was actually taken aback.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Good, Im not a fan of the game, but it laid a pretty incredible foundation for the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Great sales numbers, and nice to see growth in sales numbers for the mainline series again. They have played an interesting long game with this game as well with regular content drops including the royal and windows editions. I wonder how much of a spike the 2019 content drop (episode ardyn, Luna etc.) will make in sales as I expect they will significantly slow through the autumn and holiday seasons with new content giving the game another refresh and another cycle of media attention early next year. I also fully expect a 'complete collection' at some point, perhaps even on next generation consoles. Between mod support, free updates, limited events, DLC and so forth this game is constantly growing.

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for all the DLC to come out for a second playthrough. Super excited, I still have very vivid and fond memories of my time with the game.

Pitioss is one of the best pieces of level design this generation.

The most exciting thing is that even with its obvious and huge issues, the game is still very sucessful. The franchise is very much alive and strong, and they can get even more impressive numbers if they don't fuck up FFVII Remake and FFXVI.

XV was generally well received, but the reviews weren't particularly impressive. If they can reach the 90 range with their next game, it'll be BIG.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to downplay that undeniable success, but I really thought that Final Fantasy is a bigger, or faster seller.
7,7 million in 20 months makes it the fastest selling FF to date? I really thought it would have to cross 10 million in that timeframe for that achievement.

The more you know!

I'm not a fan of the game, but I'm happy for those who are.

10 million is probably what it "should" be at, given the caliber of the franchise, it being a mainline game with a god knows how large aggregate budget.

but franchise hasn't had a hot recent history, it's a mostly single player game in 2018. so somewhere around that ballpark is probably good enough

Oct 29, 2017
Very well deserved. Me and my son thoroughly enjoy this game. We are currently on our new game plus using his save file.

If my 11 yo can enjoy it, surely the game did something right.

And yes, the fact that FF XV is very pretty also doesnt hurt.

Manashima

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Tabby with a new SD game? Sure I'm down for that. And who said we're getting a SD5?

The remakes of the recent Seiken Densetsu games are leading up to Seiken Densetsu 5, as long as the remakes sale well, atleast the new Mana producer at SE said.

http://nintendo-power.com/2017/06/02/square-enix-seiken-densetsu-5/

The producer Oyamada might be the creator, but that photo shows Tabata has interest in Seiken Densetsu aswell, and with XV doing good im sure hes the new golden boy at SE. It just scares me. Everyone one of Tabatas games I played had awful battle systems-Third Birthday, FFT0, and FFXV~ With XV by far being the worst battle system ever to grace an ARPG. and I freaking love ARPG games more than turn based games. FFXV's battle system is a disgrace. I can elaborate, but Im sure you heard all of the complaints before.

Oct 25, 2017
Good, Im not a fan of the game, but it laid a pretty incredible foundation for the future.

If Tabata and his team can learn from the game's defects (and according to them, they did), their next project could be something really special.

They desperately need cutscene and storyline editors, and also some good quest designers.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, the other games in the series didn't have to release two versions in the first 18 months either.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
While I'm happy for the franchise's sake, I'm sad for the implications it has on the direction of the franchise. At least I have Octopath Traveler and Xenoblade 2 to provide that feeling of exploring vast fully-developed worlds that I no longer get from Final Fantasy.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say a failure, it did +600k first week, underperformed compared to the other entries? Sure.
Consider the context of the series, it did pretty badly in that regard

um... it's the second highest selling PS4 game of all time in Japan? How in the name of fuck is that a failure?
It's the third highest selling PS4 game of all time in Japan, but yes, that's a failure because the PS4 itself is a middling performer in Japan at best. Final Fantasy games used to clear over 1.5 million in Japan in their first week on the market; 15 struggled to even reach a million for the longest time.

Again, I love 15, and I am glad it did so well, but it did very explicitly do poorly in Japan.

Oct 25, 2017
The only impact for the future of the franchise that I can see is post-release support, but I doubt any director would want to do that in the form of additional cutscenes, and single player episodes 3 years after the game came out. That's not optimal, they'll want to nail the story and then support it with events, hunts, super bosses and stuff like that.

FFXV's problems are very much perceived as problems by Square-Enix, I don't see why people would think otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm happy for the franchise's sake, I'm sad for the implications it has on the direction of the franchise. At least I have Octopath Traveler and Xenoblade 2 to provide that feeling of exploring vast fully-developed worlds that I no longer get from Final Fantasy.

FFXV was a salvage job. I would not take it to representative of how future games will develop. SE seems to have problems developing all of their AAA JRPGs lately though.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Fuck this will teach square nothing and they'll keep putting out half baked shit :/
Yup it's bad

People itt forgetting that this is only the second ff to launch multiplatform aside from mmo and rpg fans were ff starved for years after 13

I don't think the sales of the game reflect quality and it doesn't have to just as an alternative opinion compared to all the opening post pre emptive strikes

It sold better than exclusive games should be an asterisk and qualifying statement and the fact gaming market is larger than before

Given all these things success measure should be considered 13 also sold comparatively well compared to say 8 or 12 but that doesn't mean much in respect to its favour or quality as a game

That said I'm sure they are happy about financial success but I'm certainly not convinced the direction is good for the francbises or at least for me as a jrpg fan

I'll play dq11 though

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy they were able to sell that many copies of the game. There are so many good ideas in the game with varying levels of success. While I feel the experience (at launch) was overwhelmingly mediocre due to numerous obvious developmental issues, hopefully next time they actually finish the next FF game upon launch and not patch in battle system components and muddle the next FF entry the way FFXV was.

If my purchase of the game was a vote for the general direction the mainline Final Fantasy series should go, I'm fine with that.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yes. Let the salt flow from all dem haters :P

jk but really I cannot congratulate the team enough. Their hard work has clearly paid off. If this game got closer to a 90 MC score I could see it reaching that 9-10 million, but right now I see it finishing off somewhere between X and VIII. Third place still isn't a bad spot though.

Can't wait for the next batch of DLC. I love this world and want to know even more about it.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Consider the context of the series, it did pretty badly in that regard

It's the third highest selling PS4 game of all time in Japan, but yes, that's a failure because the PS4 itself is a middling performer in Japan at best. Final Fantasy games used to clear over 1.5 million in Japan in their first week on the market; 15 struggled to even reach a million for the longest time.

Again, I love 15, and I am glad it did so well, but it did very explicitly do poorly in Japan.
I mean, ok, but that's a symptom of consoles being a total failure in Japan now more than FF. Sales figures for the PS4 version of DQ XI are way lower than normal too.

Jun 22, 2018
I enjoyed FFXV, but their dedication to ongoing DLC for it makes me worried we won't see FFXVI or FFVIIR for a very long time.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
7.7 million is not bad, but in today's market when the ceiling has moved up so much, I expect better result.

um... it's the second highest selling PS4 game of all time in Japan? How in the name of fuck is that a failure?
It's the third highest selling PS4 game in Japan, and frankly that doesn't mean anything.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The bigger news for me was that VIII was the second best selling Final Fantasy game still. I could have sworn that was X and then XV. What amazing news for Tabata and his team. They did the impossible and released a game no one ever thought would see the light of day, with good reviews, and strong sales.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Loved this game. I know a lot of people hated the cast and I understand why - but personally I enjoyed the bro road trip and I'm glad the cast was done the way it was. Got a ton of flashbacks to a bunch of dumb roadtrips with friends and actually inspired some friends and I to have a dumb road trip again, which was plenty of fun. Loved loved loved everything about it. Game wasn't perfect, but it's gonna hold a special place in my heart.

Best game :)

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, ok, but that's a symptom of consoles being a total failure in Japan now more than FF. Sales figures for the PS4 version of DQ XI are way lower than normal too.
No to both, actually. Consoles are not failures in Japan (Switch is breaking all records), the PS4 just seems to have underperformed. DQ11 has also actually sold in line with Square's expectations (surprisingly enough it was the 3DS version that underperformed).
FF15 just didn't do very good in Japan. MHW showed us how even being on one (undesirable to the Japanese market) platform could mean you could get massive sales earlier this year, which FF15 did not do.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While I think the second half of game is beyond a trainwreck, I still think it's well deserved. First half was awesome, stunning characters, great quests and beautiful open world.