• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
According to the official Japanese FFXV product info site it now sits at 7.7 million copies worldwide. It's still the fastest-selling FF time-aligned 20 months after release.

Last official numbers we had before the Royal/Windows Edition released in March this year were ~7 million in February, so it did another 700K in 6 months. The leaked Steam sales numbers from last month put the Windows Edition at around 490K up until then.

Thanks to Bazztek for pointing this out. Here are some additional comparisons from Bazztek:
That makes it keep it's current trajectory of being the fastest selling FF, with it reaching 7.7m sales much faster than any other FF did, and in terms of total sales it's currently the 4th highest selling FF worldwide, with FFVII at 11m, FFVIII at around 8.8m and FFX at around 8m currently being the only ones ahead of it.

Doing some research the earliest sales point for FFVIII states that it sold 6 million which at the end of December 1999, meaning it sold 6 million in 11 months, 1 million of which it did in the US, and that same press release stated that FFVIII was the fastest selling FF, meaning it also sold 6 million faster than FFVII did within those 11 months from release.
https://web.archive.org/web/20080421065602/http://www.gamasutra.com/newswire/news/index19991206.htm

In 11 months FFXV had already reached around 6.6 million, making it the new fastest selling FF. XV also had the highest sales for any FF in the US, at about 1.8-1.9 million just for it's launch through to December 2016 period alone, which NPD cited was the highest selling FF in the US too.
https://twitter.com/statuses/928234069091016704

It's much harder to find data during the late 90s and early 00s, but the next earliest point I count find was a financial report from March 2003, which for pretty much all the mainline FFs listed is well over 2 years after each of their releases.
www.jp.square-enix.com/ir/e/explanatory/download/0404-200402090000-01.pdf#page=27

By 2003 FFVII had sold 9.3m (6 years after release), FFVIII had sold 8.1m (4 years after release), FFIX had sold 5m (3 years after release), FFX had sold 5.8m (2 years after release) and FFX-2 had sold 2m just a few weeks after release.
For pre VII FFs by 2003 FFI had 1.9m, FFII had 1.2m, FFIII had 1.4m, FFIV had 2.1m, FFV had 2.6m and FFVI had 3.4m, and that's across all releases, and that's almost 10 years from release for VI and over a decade for all of the others.

As for FFXII, that only sold 6m total on PS2 by November 2009, and XIII didn't hit 6.6m until 2013, 3 years after each of those had released.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150505005802/http://gendai.ismedia.jp/articles/print/54
https://web.archive.org/web/2013082...y-xiiis-creators-justify-a-third-game-in-a-se

And before anyone asks again, lol: yes, FFXV has been very profitable for SE.
Hajime Tabata: We made quite a lot of money off the game on day one - we made good profits off that - and we thought the best way to use that profit would be to thank the fans who'd played the game, to give back to them and use that to improve their experience.

[...]

It shows a lot of faith from your seniors that they're giving you a new IP. So I take it that the Final Fantasy 15 project has been considered a success?

Hajime Tabata: I think that's the way the project's seen within the company. That's the assessment of how it went, and I'm very happy to hear that. It made a lot of money, and a lot of profit for the company - and that's a good thing. And the challenge of trying new things, and expanding that, that's part of the company's strategic plan. Doing new things based on what we did with 15, is perhaps even more important.

Source.

bdxRlau.gif

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent, it's an amazing game.

Congrats to Tabata, can't wait for his team's next project.

Renmyra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see this game becoming the all-time top seller. Who even buys this game now? I thought for sure only series fans would buy it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Are the DLC important?

I've restrained myself to buy the vanilla game cheap waiting for the GoTY edition to get a discount.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
One day people will understand how great of a salvaging job Tabata and his team did with FFXV. Went from vaporware mess to successful game in 3 years. He got the job for it, and he delivered. Can't even imagine the pressure.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see this game becoming the all-time top seller. Who even buys this game now? I thought for sure only series fans would buy it.
Anyone who wants to play a great game, really. Word of mouth on the game is positive, which is also why it continues to sell.

This just goes to show the folks that say "The majority hate this" game exist in a bubble.
I mean... no shit lol. If you listened to people on Era, you'd think every game is the worst game ever except for Yakuza and Bloodborne

Are the DLC important?

I've restrained myself to buy the vanilla game cheap waiting for the GoTY edition to get a discount.
Yeah, definitely get the S1 DLC

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
I think that makes it the third highest selling FF, after VII and VIII, unless you count X's countless rereleases.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Inb4 inevitable "this game sucks" or "the worst timeline" comments.

Era get bent. I don't even like this game but I respect what they delivered. Tabata came thru and did a hell of a job fixing what could have been a huge disaster. This dude is so much better than Nomura.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
great game. not replaying it though until all the DLC is released

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Inb4 inevitable "this game sucks" or "the worst timeline" comments.

Era get bent. I don't even like this game but I respect what they delivered. Tabata came thru and did a hell of a job fixing what could have been a huge disaster.
One day people will understand how great of a salvaging job Tabata and his team did with FFXV. Went from vaporware mess to successful game in 3 years. He got the job for it, and he delivered. Can't even imagine the pressure.
Yeah, it's shocking (not really) that Era doesn't get this.
Tabata got a shit show of a game with a thousand different isolated scenarios and a dozen conflicting scenarios. He pulled it all together into something mostly cohesive, and even managed to make it a fun game along the way.
It's a shock that he managed to do it at all, even more so that he did it as well as he did.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They seem to have fixed a lot since I played it. Which actually upsets me. Wish it was in much better shape at launch, not over a year later.

Oct 26, 2017
I really dislike the game and think the open world is empty and dull and think the combat is bad and the story is bad.

But it is really financially successful.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the game become the second best selling entry in the franchise if they put out another packaged release, be it a next gen port or a new royal edition with the second dlc wave.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They seem to have fixed a lot since I played it. Which actually upsets me. Wish it was in much better shape at launch, not over a year later.

But at the same time you gotta give credit where credit is due, most other devs would have taken the strong initial sales and called it a day.

These guys gave enough of shit to continue to fix and add to the game.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Poor ResetEra. And NeoGAF.

I forgot that Bazztek has been perm banned.

Still, hopefully XVI and VII Remake continue to bring lots of income for Square Enix!

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
It sold another 700K in the last 6 months - over a year after release. Who knows, if the full official mod tools including the level editor come later this year it might help push and maintain the PC sales for even longer.

Tabata Era. Balee dat.

6dsIRmS.jpg

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States

I just bought another copy last week and it has it's flaws for sure but I have been really enjoying it.

They've been selling it at some shocking bargain bin prices to get there. I doubt that was the original plan.

I picked up a copy for around $20 on the GMG summer sale. The game is truly fucking stunning on PC. I had played a couple hours on my X and the PC version puts X enhanced version to shame.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Have the post launch updates actually fixed much?

Like from what I saw it was mostly just adding more stuff rather than any meaningful changes.

I mostly had issue with the clunky combat, barren world, and poorly told story and characters.

Endymion

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't imagine playing the game before all of the patches/fixes, but I picked it up during the GMG sale recently and had a great time with it. Finished it in a week which is pretty crazy for me, since I rarely start let alone beat games these days. It's definitely a flawed game but it still clicked with me. Almost makes me want to go back and give FFXIII another shot...

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But at the same time you gotta give credit where credit is due, most other devs would have taken the strong initial sales and called it a day.

These guys gave enough of shit to continue to fix and add to the game.
Oh absolutely. It was just disappointing that after the long wait we got a fun first half and a rushed second half and imo the story setup in trailers and Kingsglaive never paid off with so much important stuff happening off screen. I've heard they fixed a lot just disappointing.

It'll probably be like XII for me. Hated at launch, loved years later.

Did they ever let you take more than one hunt at once? The constant running back to town for every single one, one at a time felt like time padding to me

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have the post launch updates actually fixed much?

Like from what I saw it was mostly just adding more stuff rather than any meaningful changes.

I mostly had issue with the clunky combat, barren world, and poorly told story and characters.
I played the game for the first time a few weeks ago since launch, and I was taken aback at how much had changed. I don't even have the Royal Edition, mind you- but it almost made it seem like the game at launch had been a beta compared to what we have now.