• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved to the game that restored my love for this franchise.

All the praise to Director Hajime Tabata and his amazing team which poured their passion and dreams into this project.

And of course to Lord Nomura, who came up with the concept for the story and characters.

The team faced a very troubled development, and had to live up to 10 years of expectations from VERY hungry fans. Myself included.

I love the game, but of course it is far from perfect. The narrative issues are very well known.

However, this game (and many others) is a lot more than the sum of its parts.

And its not over yet! We still have to see Ardyn's story, and who knows what else the future may bring.

Congrats to Square Enix, Tabata San, the entire team and Tetsuya Nomura for this great success.

To all of you who have fond memories of the world of Eos and its inhabitants, give this video a watch!

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
good for it i guess. i enjoyed the game enough, even with all its major issues. i think tabata and his team have potential when they actually have proper time and arent inheriting a mess, so im excited to see his next project

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
It's the best Jrpg released this generation, and it's nice to read that it's selling extremely well.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
You think the majority of those 7.7 million people loved the game?

Sales are usually never an indicator of quality, however in this day of age of reviews and press coverage, twitch and youtube playthroughs, and the immeasurable amount of press coverage and common folks sharing their input on the game on forums outside of ResetEra along the likes of IGN, GameFAQs / Gamespot, RPGamer, and so forth.

I'd say yes a majority of the folks of that number like the game.

In fact in the inverse If the reception to the game was as negative as some folks perceive, I highly doubt the game would reached the amount of sales it did, especially in this day when folks take more stock in the Metacritic and deciding to buy based on the score alone.

Keep in mind after XIII folks were a lot more critical of the brand, even more after the lengthy dev cycle of XV bringing a stronger level of scrutiny. Considering FFXV's sales managed to do so well despite all of this speaks volumes.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I bought FF XV a couple of years back, I didn't like the look of a FF game without turn based combat and 1 playable character but wanted to keep an open mind after the good reviews and the 6 year gap since the last one. I feel the repetitive sidequests and half full open world was a shame. I won't buy XVI if it's a lot like it, I wonder how many others feel the same.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I kind of expected the sales to be a little more especially with the release of PC. 7.7 million kind of seems low as I've always perceived FF to be a huge franchise especially in light of how well some open world games have performed this generation, some being new I.P's like Horizon which passed 7.6 million despite being exclusive to a platform. I do hope that the success shows the viability of action going forward as I prefer it than turn based. Being running FF15 on PC and it's easily one of the most beautiful games I've played this generation.

Manashima

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It sold another 700K in the last 6 months - over a year after release. Who knows, if the full official mod tools including the level editor come later this year it might help push and maintain the PC sales for even longer.

Tabata Era. Balee dat.

6dsIRmS.jpg

That photo scares the hell out of me,

Where did you get that from!? If Tabata is the person that is put as the director of SD5, I will have a freaking heart attack. FFXV has the worst battle system FF has ever produced, one where its literally impossible to die in. Please dont make a Seiken Densetsu game, EVER, Tabata. Please...

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017

Where did you get that from!? If Tabata is the person that is put as the director of SD5, I will have a freaking heart attack. FFXV has the worst battle system FF has ever produced, one where its literally impossible to die in. Please dont make a Seiken Densetsu game, EVER, Tabata. Please...

Tabby with a new SD game? Sure I'm down for that. And who said we're getting a SD5?

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Know this. Even people who didn't like the game bought it.

I hope these numbers don't send the dev team the wrong message.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Sales are usually like an indicator of quality, however in this day of age of reviews and press coverage, twitch and youtube playthroughs, and the immeasurable amount of press coverage and common folks sharing their input on the game on forums outside of ResetEra along the likes of IGN, GameFAQs / Gamespot, RPGamer, and so forth.

I'd say yes a majority of the folks of that number like the game.

In fact in the inverse If the reception to the game was as negative as some folks perceive, I highly doubt the game would reached the amount of sales it did, especially in this day when folks take more stock in the Metacritic and deciding to buy based on the score alone.

Keep in mind after XIII folks were a lot more critical of the brand, even more after the lengthy dev cycle of XV bringing a stronger level of scrutiny. Considering FFXV's sales managed to do so well despite all of this speaks volumes.

Fair enough! Good response. My post did seem a little "take this!" but I really didn't mean it as such. I didn't enjoy the game, but I'm glad if it restored a bit of health in the franchise. Maybe the next one will click with me more.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

SoftMiserableFirefly-max-1mb.gif

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Does anyone have the accurate sales figure for the mainline entries?

Interested to know where X ranks.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Id I ever play this game again, it will be on PC. 60fps seems like a godsend for the combat tbh.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Are the DLC important?

I've restrained myself to buy the vanilla game cheap waiting for the GoTY edition to get a discount.
The Royal/Windows Edition will surely be on sale again later this year. Recently it was $25 on the Steam summer sale. They include the Season Pass and Royal Pack (which significantly expands and improves the final chapter, plus other new stuff).

Btw, there's also gonna be another four new DLCs in 2019, but those have no impact on the main game anyway since they're supplemental back/side stories with the overarching theme of an alternate timeline (or "Alternate Grand Finale"). So nothing you'd have to wait for if you want to play the main game already and you'd have to play them after you beat the game anyway because of story spoilers. There's probably gonna be another, final Definitive Edition next year after those DLCs.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Well if they take the sales as a sign to make future games just like FFXV, than I guess the franchise is dead to me

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Fair enough! Good response. My post did seem a little "take this!" but I really didn't mean it as such. I didn't enjoy the game, but I'm glad if it restored a bit of health in the franchise. Maybe the next one will click with me more.

Sorry I meant to clarify that sales are not an indicator of quality, but if Usyren post is to be believed, apparently trophy list say FFXV has a 60% completion rate, which is even surprising to me.

I'm not a trophy hunter myself, but I generally don't bother finishing games I don't like. So the fact that more than half of the folks that own FFXV beat it...I find that interesting.

EthanKart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing more incomprehensible than the story was the combat in this game. Damn. Id imagine sales figures have to do more with the install they're selling plus the digital distribution allowing easier access to buy the game.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
This was one of the most frustratingly disappointing games I've ever played, but I'm glad it's selling. It did help save the series, and I don't think it's possible for a follow up to ever be as bad as this turned out to be, so I hope this allows them to make a great FF16 and other spinoffs.

I just reinstalled Type-0 and despite its jankiness, I also really want a sequel to that, so Tabata not being considered a complete failure helps to that end as well.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Sorry I meant to clarify that sales are not an indicator of quality, but if Usyren post is to be believed, apparently trophy list say FFXV has a 60% completion rate, which is even surprising to me.

I'm not a trophy hunter myself, but I generally don't bother finishing games I don't like. So the fact that more than half of the folks that own FFXV beat it...I find that interesting.
https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/5611-final-fantasy-xv

as our late friend Verendus used to say... balee dat

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Deserved. Not my favorite FF, but damn I have tons of fun with it. I really need to find time to jump back and see all the improvement since launch.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/08/a...0-final-fantasy-15-players-finished-the-game/

"There's a certain metric we use to judge success," Tabata said through a translator. "After one month from the game's release, how many players had completed the game, seen the ending, was actually very low. Only 30% one month after."

"After that, as we continued to go back to the game - we promised this before release, we're not going to release it and be done with it - and I feel we very much have achieved that. Because recently we checked that metric again, and [the completion rate] is now up to 60%. That really fills us with a lot of confidence, and it's justified our approach, so it's something I'm very happy with."

*Fastest selling title in the series
*High completion rate
*Good reviews
*Profitable
*Getting a second season pass due to demand.

The people that hate XV are just a vocal minority on ERA. Best to just ignore them.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Good for Square, they certainly needed that game not to flop.

I'm not a fan of FFXV, I have already said plenty of things about it, so I won't mention them again.

I just hope the next one is more to my liking. (Where are you Ito? Square, gimme more FFIX, FFXII, XIV)

Oct 25, 2017
They've been selling it at some shocking bargain bin prices to get there. I doubt that was the original plan.

C'mon. No need to look for excuses. Many popular games go "bargain bin" nowadays despite of their success, as Koozek pointed out.

FFXV is selling that fast because word of mouth is great.

There no shame in admitting you are in a minority of opinion.

Jan 2, 2018
I don't want to downplay that undeniable success, but I really thought that Final Fantasy is a bigger, or faster seller.
7,7 million in 20 months makes it the fastest selling FF to date? I really thought it would have to cross 10 million in that timeframe for that achievement.

The more you know!

I'm not a fan of the game, but I'm happy for those who are.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Well deserved.

One of my favorite RPGs I have played in the last 5 years.

Also my first platinum game - clocked 85 hours.

Planning to purchase the PC version in the future.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Praise Lord Tabata!!

I don't know if it can reach FFVII in sales, but i can see it beating FFX.

Its sad that the sales in Japan dropped quite a bit, it could be in 8.8kk already.