• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there an ETA for the Comrades patch? It will release on 13th or there's a chance we can see it in the next couple of days? Downloading 10 gb is never fun with crappy connections like mine.

Zimmy64

Oct 29, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
Hey Everyone,

Final Fantasy XV was my 2016 game of the year but I have not touched it since I finished it Late December last year. I've been craving a replay but I've wanted to wait until all updates are finished. My question is what all has been added this year (I'm familiar with the upcoming character switch and Ignis Update). I was originally planning to wait until around about June 2019 when I heard that there adding 3 more DLC episodes coming in 2018 but the upcoming December update seems really significant. For simplicity my questions are

1. What has been added to FFXV since Late December 2016?
2.How significant are these updates?
3.When do you think they'll stop updating the game (Will the game be completely "finished" by mid 2019)?
4. What does everyone think the three 2018 episodes will be? I'm hoping for Ardyn, Luna, and Ravus.
5. Did they ever "fix" chapter 13?
6. What is this comrades thing? Is it fun, significant, how long is it, is it worth playing?
7.Did they add new cutscenes like they said they would?
8. Should I start a new playthrough when the December update hits or stick with my original plan and wait until after the game is finished?

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Everyone,

Final Fantasy XV was my 2016 game of the year but I have not touched it since I finished it Late December last year. I've been craving a replay but I've wanted to wait until all updates are finished. My question is what all has been added this year (I'm familiar with the upcoming character switch and Ignis Update). I was originally planning to wait until around about June 2019 when I heard that there adding 3 more DLC episodes coming in 2018 but the upcoming December update seems really significant. For simplicity my questions are

1. What has been added to FFXV since Late December 2016?
2.How significant are these updates?
3.When do you think they'll stop updating the game (Will the game be completely "finished" by mid 2019)?
4. What does everyone think the three 2018 episodes will be? I'm hoping for Ardyn, Luna, and Ravus.
5. Did they ever "fix" chapter 13?
6. What is this comrades thing? Is it fun, significant, how long is it, is it worth playing?
7.Did they add new cutscenes like they said they would?
8. Should I start a new playthrough when the December update hits or stick with my original plan and wait until after the game is finished?
There are free story updates coming throughout 2018 (new and improved cutscenes in the main game) and a second Season Pass (seems like there's definitely gonna be an Episode Ardyn and probably Episode Luna, but no clue that the third DLC could be). I think by the end of 2018 the game should be "definite" and I doubt it will go on even longer. Tabata said at some point next year they're gonna have to draw the line since they're gearing up work on their new, next-gen IP (not a FF) starting from next year too and they already had to make quite a few arrangements so their team would be able to keep supporting FFXV for another year.

If you haven't followed the post-launch updates, these are the biggest changes so far (here's a complete official list, btw):

Character-switching is coming this week on December 12.

There's off-road driving now since June:
2eVwFDG.gif

And there's a new battle mechanic called Cross Chain (QTE combo attacks with the whole party) since July.

yYaTdqc.gif

Source.

And you can now accept multiple hunts at once since the November patch. Then they added a Bestiary and Chapter Select in August.

Also a new playable section with Gladio in Chapter 13 (20min-ish), plus they increased the ring's power to make the whole chapter less frustrating (you can even skip Noctis' most-disliked section by finishing Gladio's new route and then when it switches back to Noctis it will skip the middle part.

Also since September there are new cutscenes in Chapter 12 (explaining the gods' lore and extending a scene with Luna and Gentiana).

If you're interested, here's a bit of background on their decision to keep working on the game even a year after release:
  1. Tabata and the dev team has been thinking if it's really okay to just let it ''end'' with Episode Ignis. With the survey that was done earlier this year, taking in the feedback of the players, everyone including Tabata, Ofuji and the development team thought about what they should do. FFXV has been to many different events all throughout the world and Tabata has been to each of them, meeting and talking to the fans. He asked what they liked, what they wanted and what they disliked. He thanks to all those that supported him and he says that after speaking to everyone, the biggest voice was ''Please don't let it end there'' and ''We want you to continue''. The demand for a bigger expanded story was big. Tabata wants to respond to these demands from the fans. They want to continue expanding the game through 2018 next year. He clarifies that as a company there are set plans and schedules and changing them is difficult. He apologizes that as a developer, their goal is to create new games. And he states that BD2 already has finalized their next big project [new IP, not a new FF!], considering that, they thought about how they could balance this and continue to support FFXV next year. After after overcoming many obstacles and changing the structure of the development team, they are able to say that they are able to continue development next year.
  2. They already have plans for what to accomplish next year and that is delivering on what fans want most. They will continue to and further development the story, filling up missing information.
  3. It's not going as far as a sequel, but it's about the strengthening of the existing game and story. Tabata acknowledges that there were lacking aspects of the game. Not just the back stories of the characters or character development, but also with the world and lore as the world itself has a story of it's own. They have received much feedback on these fronts as well as in the survey and they worked hard until now to create a development structure to be able to deliver with everything we got. And again now, they are able to say, that this will be happening.

They are aware of the narrative issues and the reception and want to improve it:
GR: ONE OF THE NEWEST UPDATES WILL "FILL IN PLOT HOLES." DID ANYONE NOTICE THOSE PLOT HOLES IN DEVELOPMENT, AND IT WAS JUST TOO LATE TO TURN BACK? AT WHAT POINT DID YOU NOTICE THOSE?

TABATA: While developing the game, up until release, we didn't have that awareness. It was hard to see (things that required more explanation). What we valued most highly was that core experience of goin gon a journey with your friends. In order to realize that, we wanted to have enough content in there to make it feel right and to feel like that works. We were more worried about, "If that's the full 100%, how much is that is story, combat, the adventure?"

We put everything we had into it. We put our lives on the line. We were like madmen just trying to complete the game. At that time, we just couldn't see outside of that, just had to focus on getting the game out. Obviously, after we released the game, we started getting feedback, and then we started to realize maybe some things weren't as fully explained as they could've been.

GR: SO USER FEEDBACK PLAYED A PART IN NOTICING SOME OF THOSE (PLOT HOLES)?

TABATA: User feedback was important, but it was also important for us to take that step back and take a look at what we'd made, as well. To complete a game, you've got to make the decision at some point, to say, "No, that's where we have to stop." You're going to face that issue. There's no team out there that completed a game and didn't have any regrets -- that thinks what they've put out is perfect.

Looking back, we see things and think we could've, but, no we [had so much going on that we] couldn't have put them in. You only see after you've completed (development of) the game.

Going back and doing that was a really great opportunity and learning experience for us. I'm very glad that we made that decision.

Regarding Comrades: fun foundation, but still has too many annoying load times and unnecessary steps in between repeating missions, and it's cumbersome to play with a set group of people or friends because of the lack of party invite features. Luckily though there's a patch coming in two days that apparently reduces the load times, but I'm not sure if they changed anything about the other points I mentioned. Length is around 10-15 hours for doing the story missions, iirc. You can also play all missions offline and solo with help from AI bots as your party members and you don't need a PS+ subscription in that case, btw.

Read the reviews/impression in the OT if you're interested (the VG247 one perfectly sums it up): https://www.resetera.com/threads/fi...ades-ot-through-the-power-of-friendship.6232/

Zimmy64

Oct 29, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
There are free story updates coming throughout 2018 (new and improved cutscenes in the main game) and a second Season Pass (seems like there's definitely gonna be an Episode Ardyn and probably Episode Luna, but no clue that the third DLC could be). I think by the end of 2018 the game should be "definite" and I doubt it will go on even longer. Tabata said at some point next year they're gonna have to draw the line since they're gearing up work on their new, next-gen IP (not a FF) starting from next year too and they already had to make quite a few arrangements so their team would be able to keep supporting FFXV for another year.

If you haven't followed the post-launch updates, these are the biggest changes so far (here's a complete official list, btw):

2eVwFDG.gif

And there's a new battle mechanic called Cross Chain (QTE combo attacks with the whole party) since July.

yYaTdqc.gif

Source.

And you can now accept multiple hunts at once since the November patch. Then they added a Bestiary and Chapter Select in August.

Also a new playable section with Gladio in Chapter 13 (20min-ish), plus they increased the ring's power to make the whole chapter less frustrating (you can even skip Noctis' most-disliked section by finishing Gladio's new route and then when it switches back to Noctis it will skip the middle part.

Also since September there are new cutscenes in Chapter 12 (explaining the gods' lore and extending a scene with Luna and Gentiana).

If you're interested, here's a bit of background on their decision to keep working on the game even a year after release:

They are aware of the narrative issues and the reception and want to improve it:

Regarding Comrades: fun foundation, but still has too many annoying load times and unnecessary steps in between repeating missions, and it's cumbersome to play with a set group of people or friends because of the lack of party invite features. Luckily though there's a patch coming in two days that apparently reduces the load times, but I'm not sure if they changed anything about the other points I mentioned. Length is around 10-15 hours for doing the story missions, iirc. You can also play all missions offline and solo with help from AI bots as your party members and you don't need a PS+ subscription in that case, btw.

Read the reviews/impression in the OT if you're interested (the VG247 one perfectly sums it up): https://www.resetera.com/threads/fi...ades-ot-through-the-power-of-friendship.6232/

Much Thanks. Seems like the game has changed a lot and I thought that the launch version was great. I think I'll start a new playthrough this Friday and then do a third playthrough sometime in 2019. I'm pretty excited I haven't touched the game in almost a year. You've been a great help.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2eVwFDG.gif

yYaTdqc.gif

Source.

Thanks Koozek, it seems I have tons of new content to play through. I haven't played the game since platinum-ing it last December, so there's that above and the DLCs. Multiple quest also means faster platinum this time around.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on chapter 5 and am seeing the value in that above image, ha. I legit went into it with a bit of a similar feeling. Turns out, Noctis IS a bit of a whiney pretty boy at times, but I'm starting to see him evolve. Love it.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to the patch tomorrow!

Episode Ignis trophies:

-Hidden Power - Took down 10 enemies using the spelldaggers.
-Swift Retaliation - Took down 10 enemies with counterstrikes.
-Master of the Elements - Took down 100 enemies using Total Clarity.
-Altissian Ambassador - Collected all documents.

Secret Achievements/Trophies:

-A Noble Sacrifice - Completed EPISODE IGNIS on Normal.
-Another Path - Defeated Ardyn on Chapter 3, Verse 2.
-A New Protagonist - Earned the top ranking in the Friendly Match.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Looking at some old vids from a year back.. i cannot lie i did enjoy my time with FFXV despite my issues with it. Extremely hype about Ignis on Wednesday! plus the patch we getting tomorrow.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I have a shit ton of battle gameplay videos recorded on my PS4. The combat system in this game became an addiction for me.
it's simplistic but effective "somewhat" it just needs a few simple fixes:

- Camera shouldn't be so hectic against certain enemies.
- Bushes and trees shouldn't block your view during fights.
- increase the enemy hit detection, they hardly flinch.

I think the pc community will do this and hopefully SE implements those ideas. For instance, Capcom got the idea to transfer SFxT characters into SF4 cause some modders did that.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017

I think the pc community will do this and hopefully SE implements those ideas. For instance, Capcom got the idea to transfer SFxT characters into SF4 cause some modders did that.

All three of these would be glorious. But fuck me #2 is maybe the most vile offender. Nothing like fighting Necromancers in the forest! :|

E: Just watched the Episode Ignis tweet video and lol'd at how ridiculous it is. Hardcore while shit is just going DOWN in the background.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

You know what's really annoying too: those arbitrary enemy attacks out of nowhere that for some reason can't be dodged and knock Noctis to the ground. Like, after 180 hours I still don't understand why some random attacks can't be dodged in the first place (not talking about the big attacks where the enemies glow for a short time). Doesn't help that the enemies' animations already barely have telegraphing cues, enemies attack from all sides at once, there's no attack animation cancelling when guarding etc. It's those small things that make the battle-system unnecessarily messy.

It's not like I'm not enjoying the combat at all - sometimes I love the flow of it and the satisfying warp strikes -, but I'm still always aware of issues while playing that could make it so much more fun if fixed. Comrades did improve it in some regards already (am I imagining things or have those random attacks that knock you down been toned down somewhat too?), but there is still a lot of room for improvement, which is why I'm kinda sad there's no full sequel/prequel with a completely overhauled battle-system. The direct sequels FFX-2 and LR both have the best battle-systems in the series, imo.

All three of these would be glorious. But fuck me #2 is maybe the most vile offender. Nothing like fighting Necromancers in the forest! :|

E: Just watched the Episode Ignis tweet video and lol'd at how ridiculous it is. Hardcore while shit is just going DOWN in the background.
Why are you watching Episode Ignis trailers if you're only in chapter 5!? :O They spoil everything from chapter 9 onwards in the trailers!

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
You know what's really annoying too: those arbitrary enemy attacks out of nowhere that for some reason can't be dodged and knock Noctis to the ground. Like, after 180 hours I still don't understand why some random attacks can't be dodged in the first place (not talking about the big attacks where the enemies glow for a short time). Doesn't help that the enemies' animations already barely have telegraphing cues, enemies attack from all sides at once, there's no attack animation cancelling when guarding etc. It's those small things that make the battle-system unnecessarily messy.

It's not like I'm not enjoying the combat at all - sometimes I love the flow of it and the satisfying warp strikes -, but I'm still always aware of issues while playing that could make it so much more fun if fixed. Comrades did improve it in some regards already (am I imagining things or have those random attacks that knock you down been toned down somewhat too?), but there is still a lot of room for improvement, which is why I'm kinda sad there's no full sequel/prequel with a completely overhauled battle-system. The direct sequels FFX-2 and LR both have the best battle-systems in the series, imo.

Tabata encouraged the team to do that which makes no fucking sense. I guess he wanted the monsters to behave unpredictably but that's just messy game design.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

im pretty excited for it, luckily we get to try out that character switching tomorrow.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Away from home currently till Sunday, not going to be able to play until then!

Would appreciate if somebody could post the patch notes screen from their PS4 once it's out :)

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to the patch tomorrow!

Episode Ignis trophies:

-Hidden Power - Took down 10 enemies using the spelldaggers.
-Swift Retaliation - Took down 10 enemies with counterstrikes.
-Master of the Elements - Took down 100 enemies using Total Clarity.
-Altissian Ambassador - Collected all documents.

Secret Achievements/Trophies:

-A Noble Sacrifice - Completed EPISODE IGNIS on Normal.
-Another Path - Defeated Ardyn on Chapter 3, Verse 2.
-A New Protagonist - Earned the top ranking in the Friendly Match.
I'm screaming at that second to last trophy.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's an opinion all right
Not even the best in ffxv universe Xp

Pssssh....

Also, just finishing Chapter 5 (just gotta make the drive). That was a fun little romp. Trying to focus on making some progress on the story so I can open up even more of the world. Still super enjoying everything and really excited to see where to the story goes.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Just started downloading. 15 min left! Man now I'm really interested in getting that season pass lol.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whew, glad I caught this before I went to bed.

Awesome that they added the Comrades music to the game. Clash of Swords is so damn great.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Awesome! Thank you. :)

I come bearing news! The theme is awesome! :D

It features the music "Dreaming of the Dawn -Somnus- Piano Ver." It uses the key artwork which I shared previously of Luna and Noct at night by a lake, and it is cropped at different levels for the top and bottom screen of the PS4 Menu so that it isn't overrun by UI elements. That's a thoughtful touch, yeah? You'll see what I mean when you start flipping through the tiles on your screen. It doesn't feature custom icons for the XMB like bar or any apps, but this isn't really as big as an issue as you might think? Because of the somber tone of the theme, the plain white icons actually match pretty well with the centered moon in the image.

I'm pretty happy with it you know. Free app, free theme, great music if you want to listen. It's not the greatest effort, but it's way better than many other free themes on PSN so yeah.