• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
FFXV-Pocket-Edition-HD-PS-Store_09-04-18_001-600x338.jpg

An icon for "Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition HD" has appeared on the United Kingdom PlayStation Store.

The icon appears in the "Games > New" section of the store

from Gematsu

versus XIII me if old (searched, didn't find anything)

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hmm

I loved FFXV but is this just the same game just watered down? or is there something "new" here?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Welp. There were rumors about a Nintendo Direct very soon, AND Square Enix announcing some games in it so I wonder if this is one of them.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Can confirm Australia has it. Can't access the content though.

Please have a new set of trophies.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
My suspicion is that they're going to release this on PS4 and Xbox so that they get less shit for releasing it on Switch ("No, no, we're releasing it on everything!").
Welp. There were rumors about a Nintendo Direct very soon, AND Square Enix announcing some games in it so I wonder if this is one of them.
Interesting. I wonder if we get Dragon Quest Heroes 3 in the direct or the Sony TGS thing (since I'm convinced that's ready to be announced).

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of us predicted Pocket Edition would be ported to Switch. I am genuinely surprised it's coming to PS4 though.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
My suspicion is that they're going to release this on PS4 and Xbox so that they get less shit for releasing it on Switch ("No, no, we're releasing it on everything!").

Interesting. I wonder if we get Dragon Quest Heroes 3 in the direct or the Sony TGS thing (since I'm convinced that's ready to be announced).

This makes a lot of sense. Guessing this is going to be announced soon.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd personally prefer a streamed version of FFXV for Switch rather than whatever this is.

Glad that people buying all consoles (by the looks of it) gets more options in playing FFXV, tho.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried on my phone and it was pretty cool. Could definitely see myself buying switch version if reasonably priced.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Also this is the kind of project perfectly suited to get new developing staff used to programm for the three platforms.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

or they are on every system because "why the heck not?" Especially if it's just a digital game

man some of the takes lately about Square and Switch....

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I was thinking yesterday that I would be down for a spinoff in the artstyle of KHUχ. They could do a Pocket edition of KH3 in that style, I'd be down with that.

Totally. Could see a mobile spin-off cause KHUx was a massive success for them. KH3 PE makes sense based on their comments regarding FFXV PE. PE versions of games are a thing for Square and I read they're even considering a Tomb Raider PE.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm I'm guessing it'll be ported to the Switch too then. Great news then, Switch only owners can now finally experience the greatest jrpg this generation even if it's the stripped down version. :]

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Really hope it is. Would buy it in a second!

I actually might too. From the videos I've seen I like the battle system more than the big version, lol. Disliked throughout my full playthrough.

Apart from that I gave myself till TGS to see if there is a possible FFXII Zodiac Age for Switch otherwise I'll go PS4, even though I (almost) only finish RPGs on portables nowadays. Maybe this will provide the answer!

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
If this is gonna be their surprise gift announcement at TGS instead of FF8 Remaster then that's pretty sad

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
If this is gonna be their surprise gift announcement at TGS instead of FF8 Remaster then that's pretty sad

FFVII was announced for PS4 at PSX and released the same day. FFIX was announced for PS4 at Sony's TGS conference and released same day. Both had exclusive themes too.

Sony's TGS conference is on September 10. If FFVIII is happening, it'll be announced for PS4 there and release the same day, just like VII & IX, with an exclusive theme.

FFXV PE wouldn't be shown at Sony's TGS.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018

Same. I've been holding out on playing FF8 hoping it gets either a PS4 port or a Switch port (assuming that a Zodiac Age style remaster isn't viable) so I don't have to stare at my tiny vita screen.

Still, I hope this means they're gonna look to porting/making more FF accessible on modern consoles.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018

Why would there be any kind of backlash if they didn't bring this version to xbox and ps4 when they already have have the full version?

Deleted member 38706

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
Well, time to take my PS4 out to play on the bus then. /s

But seriously, it doesn't make sense to put the "Pocket" Edition on home consoles for the same reason mobile ports to Switch doesn't make it to other consoles. It would be a better fit for Vita.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Why would there be any kind of backlash if they didn't bring this version to xbox and ps4 when they already have have the full version?
I just think they'll get a lot of shit for bringing the mobile version to Switch alone. There was a bunch of that kind of talk back when they announced this in the first place (plus, the only way I can reason it getting a PS4 release is some kind of elaborate PR move, because otherwise ... wut?).

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018

I think they mean more the backlash of only having the Switch get the downgraded version. I've def seen people online fully believe that it would be easy enough to port the full version of FFXV to Switch with minimal downgrades...So I guess a way to sort of appease that crowd?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm 90 percent sure that this is the version that Switch folks are getting.

I'll buy this on PS4 as well. Why? Cause screw it I want it even though I already have the Royal Edition.

Oct 27, 2017
FFXV is the actual game.

PE is the lite version that just focuses on story and is pretty much "Baby's first FFXV" I don't know how to better put it and I always hate using that phrase.

Mechanics-wise, I guess it doesn't use the real-time system that FFXV uses, right? Is it turn-based?

I wouldn't mind playing a more straightforward version of FFXV... once I actually start and finish FFXV.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
This is probably too watered down for me to consider, especially after how disappointed I was with the main game. Don't know, let's see. But I'm very skeptical of this.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I just think they'll get a lot of shit for bringing the mobile version to Switch alone. There was a bunch of that kind of talk back when they announced this in the first place (plus, the only way I can reason it getting a PS4 release is some kind of elaborate PR move, because otherwise ... wut?).
I think they mean more the backlash of only having the Switch get the downgraded version. I've def seen people online fully believe that it would be easy enough to port the full version of FFXV to Switch with minimal downgrades...So I guess a way to sort of appease that crowd?
Yeah, people really thought the real FFXV could run on Switch if downgraded and that they would port it to Unreal Engine, lol. Tabata had to shut the speculation down after some articles created false expectations:
HAJIME TABATA: Hey did you read this story online that says I'm bringing Final Fantasy XV to Switch, using Unreal Engine?

GAMEREVOLUTION: NO, I DIDN'T. IS THAT TRUE?

TABATA: No.

GR: CAN THE SWITCH EVEN RUN FINAL FANTASY XV?

TABATA: No, it can't.

Source.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Mechanics-wise, I guess it doesn't use the real-time system that FFXV uses, right? Is it turn-based?

I wouldn't mind playing a more straightforward version of FFXV... once I actually start and finish FFXV.
Mechanically and budgetary stripped FF15 is nothing you would really want. Most of 15's charm is the spectacle, the combat system, and the numerous interactions with the group strewn throughout the game. The story is really nothing special, and at times even bad by how poorly it is paced and how much they cut out of it.

Pocket edition loses pretty much the entirety of the good parts of FF15.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The royal edition is cheap as hell & soon gonna get new DLC, not sure why anyone would buy this, it's kinda fun on a phone or tablet, but when you got a Console or PC i dunno.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018

Hmm somewhat? It's this weird blend of Action with touch controls. Not even sure how to explain it my friend. I think the first episode is free so give it a whirl on iOS/Android.

It's straightforward but strips and removes a lot for a "casual" audience. I think its purpose is to gauge internet for you to buy the actual game honestly.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they could, you know, put the PC new content (custom avatars in story mode) on the console main game version first...