• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
Welp, fell short of their goals to be considered a financial success...that sucks. Oh well, better luck next time guys!

Jan 2, 2018
Basing it from here: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games

1. Final Fantasy VII (13,108,000)
2. Final Fantasy XIV (10,903,000)
3. Final Fantasy X (10,571,400)
4. Final Fantasy VI (10,177,600)
5. Final Fantasy VIII (8,870,000)
6. Final Fantasy XV (8,100,000)
7. Final Fantasy XIII (7,700,000)
8. Final Fantasy XII (7,200,000)
9. Final Fantasy X-2 (5,876,000)
10. Final Fantasy IX (5,731,000)
11. Final Fantasy IV (5,389,000)
12. Final Fantasy I (4,903,000)
13. Final Fantasy III (4,368,300)
14. Final Fantasy V (3,966,500)
15. Final Fantasy XIII-2 (3,600,000)

Man, these numbers are a bit shocking to be honest. I thought Final Fantasy would be a much bigger deal...I've never seen the sales figures of all of them before.
Well, at least my favorite, FF X, broke 10 million!

Edit: Don't we have sales figures for the atrocity that is Final Fantasy II?

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, these numbers are a bit shocking to be honest. I thought Final Fantasy would be a much bigger deal...I've never seen the sales figures of all of them before.

Seems simular to the Zelda series both huge but there are huge ups and downs sales wise between entries.

Sometimes some of the zelda sales surprise me cuz it's quite the insane popular series gaming wise same for final fantasy.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, that's less then MHW isn't it? I'm honestly surprised that a MH game is able to outsell a FF game tbh.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Wait, that's less then MHW isn't it? I'm honestly surprised that a MH game is able to outsell a FF game tbh.

MHW is the fastest selling 3rd party japanese title this gen, possibly ever, i dont remember a japanese title selling over 10 million copies in 8/9 months.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017

The video game market has become a lot more mainstream than in the nineties/early 2000s, not to mention companies are much better now at releasing their products outside of the traditional big three markets.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
congrats to Square Enix, now PLEASE move on from FF XV, and don't let Tabata near anything FF-related again

I don't get it, can you elaborate? I haven't kept up with gaming stuff for a while, but as far as I know, although Nomura conceived FFXV, it was Tabata who got it to completion and made it a finished product? Without him, it would still be grand ideas and grand game engine but vaporware?

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
How does that stack up against previous FF games?
eMuja0v.jpg

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Thats awesome. I guess reaching 10 million lifetime sales was not an unrealistic goal after all.

I contributed 2 copies, one on ps4, then one Windows copy. Currently finishing my second playthrough. The game has been a blast to play, even with its faults. I'm glad it's doing well. I'm also looking forward to Luminous Studios' next game.

Now let's finish up VIIR SE, so we can get XVI at some point in our lifetimes.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
MHW is the fastest selling 3rd party japanese title this gen, possibly ever, i dont remember a japanese title selling over 10 million copies in 8/9 months.

Yeah the only title I can think that could sell more is the FFVII remake but even that would be tough.

PshycoNinja

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles

Those numbers are not accurate. At all.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Jumped on the PC version at 25€, but have barely played it for few hours, always finding something more interesting to play + not exactly a game to play bit here and there

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
FYI these are the accurate numbers

Whatever is on the first page is hilariously wrong.
Think they added in FFx remake sales to FFx numbers. Original release topped out at mid 8 millions

FFVI did 4-5 which actually was a good amount for a snes rpg. Its just vii doubled that and exploded the franchise

XV will top out around VIII I bet.
VII remake should do around 9-11 million

pwnsweet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basing it from here: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games

It's really very depressing that FFX-2 outsold FFIX

P-Switch

Alt Account
Jul 15, 2018
??? It was successful day 1. 10 million was the teams lofty goal

My post was meant to be more tongue in cheek :P

But, there is no way the game sold enough day one to make up for all the development/marketing costs this game went through. (The game was under development for a decade)

Tabata said the game needed 10 million to be deemed a success. I wouldnt read too much into the attempt to walk back that statement later on.

The game sold great, much better than most expected. Won't end up being a huge financial loss. Alls good!

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017

Final Fantasy XV is a huge failure in my eyes.

If you look at the numbers and put some context to it, you'll notice why. Final Fantasy XV was not even developet as a mainline Final Fantasy game. In 2006 development of Final Fantasy Versus XIII started, which was a Final Fantasy XIII spin-off title. What happend after that was pretty ridiculous. Sqaure Enix struggled so hard with its develpment, because they were chasing western develpment trends at that time, namely 3rd person action game titles with a huge focus on graphical fidelity, but probably weren't experienced enought to life up to the task. They probably realised that they had bitten off way more that they could chew the start of the FInal Fantasy Versus XIII project. Instead of admitting their failure, they kept going with it, which not only resulted in the desperate and frankly, kinda pathetic, renaming of Final Fantasy Versus XIII into Final Fantasy XV - because they A) thought this would help change the negative goodwill the whole Final Fantasy Versus XIII develpment brought, as well as B) because they realized they had wasted so much develpment time and money on Final Fantasy XIII that they would never be able to bring out a "true" mainline Final Fantasy XV title paralell to the develpment of Final Fantasy Versus XIII, hence the renaming.

In the end, Final Fantasy Versus XIII a.k.a Final Fantasy XV FINALLY came out in 2016, after it's been announced in 2006. A 10 fucking year develpment cicle that - I believe - could have never either been profitable or been profitable enough for the studio. So yeah, they have sold 8 million copies, but with what kind of sacrifice?

They have lost way more then they have gained. Final Fantasy XV is not even recognized as a "real" Final Fantasy game by a good chunk of the Final Fantasy fanbase (well, not surpriseing, because it never even started as a real mainline Final Fantasy game to begin with).

Final Fantasy XV is a Final Fantasy spin-off in disguise.

So let's put the 8 million of Final Fantasy XV in perspective. It look them 10 freakin' years (from 2006 to 2016) to develp that title and they sold 8 million.

Let's compare that to other "real" Final Fantasy mainline games: Final Fantasy 7 came out in 1997, Final Fantasy VIII in 1999, Final Fantasy IX in 2000 and Final Fantasy X in 2001.

4 critically acclaimed and beloved true mainline Final Fantasy games were release within 5 years! They sold ~ 38 million units combined. And they were turn-based. During that time Square was efficent and was able to put those games out.

Final Fantasy "XV" was a development desaster and marked a clear downfall in both economical efficiency and quality of Square's mainline Final Fantasy games, that' why I thik it wasn't a success at all.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

But, there is no way the game sold enough day one to make up for all the development/marketing costs this game went through. (The game was under development for a decade)

Tabata said the game needed 10 million to be deemed a success. I wouldnt read too much into the attempt to walk back that statement later on.

The game sold great, much better than most expected. Won't end up being a huge financial loss. Alls good!

If you look at the numbers and put some context to it, you'll notice why. Final Fantasy XV was not even developet as a mainline Final Fantasy game. In 2006 development of Final Fantasy Versus XIII started, which was a Final Fantasy XIII spin-off title. What happend after that was pretty ridiculous. Sqaure Enix struggled so hard with its develpment, because they were chasing western develpment trends at that time, namely 3rd person action game titles with a huge focus on graphical fidelity, but probably weren't experienced enought to life up to the task. They probably realised that they had bitten off way more that they could chew the start of the FInal Fantasy Versus XIII project. Instead of admitting their failure, they kept going with it, which not only resulted in the desperate and frankly, kinda pathetic, renaming of Final Fantasy Versus XIII into Final Fantasy XV - because they A) thought this would help change the negative goodwill the whole Final Fantasy Versus XIII develpment brought, as well as B) because they realized they had wasted so much develpment time and money on Final Fantasy XIII that they would never be able to bring out a "true" mainline Final Fantasy XV title paralell to the develpment of Final Fantasy Versus XIII, hence the renaming.

In the end, Final Fantasy Versus XIII a.k.a Final Fantasy XV FINALLY came out in 2016, after it's been announced in 2006. A 10 fucking year develpment cicle that - I believe - could have never either been profitable or been profitable enough for the studio. So yeah, they have sold 8 million copies, but with what kind of sacrifice?

They have lost way more then they have gained. Final Fantasy XV is not even recognized as a "real" Final Fantasy game by a good chunk of the Final Fantasy fanbase (well, not surpriseing, because it never even started as a real mainline Final Fantasy game to begin with).

So let's put the 8 million of Final Fantasy XV in perspective. It look them 10 freakin' years (from 2006 to 2016) to develp that title and they sold 8 million.

Let's compare that to other "real" Final Fantasy mainline games: Final Fantasy 7 came out in 1997, Final Fantasy VIII in 1999, Final Fantasy IX in 2000 and Final Fantasy X in 2001.

4 critically acclaimed and beloved true mainline Final Fantasy games were release within 5 years! They sold ~ 38 million units combined. And they were turn-based. During that time Square was efficent and was able to put those games out.

Final Fantasy "XV" was a development desaster and marked a clear downfall in both economical efficiency and quality of Square's mainline Final Fantasy games, that' why I thik it wasn't a success at all.
Uhh.

The 10-million thing was just a personal goal of the team, not the point where it needs to be to be considered a financial success:
In a statement to Famitsu, as reported by Final Fantasy fan site Novacrystallis, Tabata said the figure represents how many copies the team would like to see the game sell. It's not necessarily how many it needs to sell to turn a profit, however.

Source.

Since release Tabata stated several times that they broke even on day one and made good profits since then:
Hajime Tabata: We made quite a lot of money off the game on day one - we made good profits off that - and we thought the best way to use that profit would be to thank the fans who'd played the game, to give back to them and use that to improve their experience.

[...]

It shows a lot of faith from your seniors that they're giving you a new IP. So I take it that the Final Fantasy 15 project has been considered a success?

Hajime Tabata: I think that's the way the project's seen within the company. That's the assessment of how it went, and I'm very happy to hear that. It made a lot of money, and a lot of profit for the company - and that's a good thing. And the challenge of trying new things, and expanding that, that's part of the company's strategic plan. Doing new things based on what we did with 15, is perhaps even more important.

Source.

FFXV was the major contributor to the best fiscal year SE has had ever last year.

Also, the development costs weren't anything crazy either even if you count the whole ten years since before mid-2012, when it was rebooted as FFXV, they haven't much spent that much and it wasn't in actual development for more than 2-2.5 years or so:
Is it safe to assume that this is the most expensive game ever made, if account for the entire development cycle, before you took over?

Tabata: No, it's not, even including that. From what I've heard, we're nowhere near what Destiny or Grand Theft Auto V [cost].

But Destiny's budget is projected over a ten-year timeline.

Tabata: I suppose if you consider it from when we started Versus XIII, we've been at it for ten years as well. The budgets for all of our projects are controlled quite strictly, but on a company level, so it's not been allowed to go that far out.

Source.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-15-director-clarifies-10-million-sal/1100-6436227/

https://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-xv-broke-even-on-launch-day-actually-417288.phtml

Stop spreading misinformation people.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
those are sales numbers for FFXIV, not account numbers. Acct numbers are beyond 14 million as of now.
Do you have a source on that being the actual sales numbers and not an old number for the registered users that they recently announced to be over 14 million (see the link below)?
mhm. It's past 30 million isn't it? I recall a 30 million users mega sale not too long ago.
A few days ago they announced 14 million registered players (includes the free trials).

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Stop just reading the first sentence of a post and basing your replies off of that.
You literally said you don't believe it could have been profitable when they already stated that it has been very profitable since day one (read my reply to you above).
A 10 fucking year develpment cicle that - I believe - could have never either been profitable or been profitable enough for the studio.

Oct 25, 2017
You literally said you don't believe it could have been profitable when they already stated that it has been very profitable since day one (read my reply to you above).
The whole premise is flawed so I don't really have to say more than that to prove that your post is full of shit.
It's an entirely different poster lol p switch had the wrong info idk what other guy is talking about
Edit;welp nvm see his long post of misinformation carry on lol

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017

I said "either profitable OR profitable enough". Granted a developer wants to be as profitable as possible. Selling 8 million of a mainline Final Fanatasy game withing 10 years or a combined 30 to 38 million of 4 mainline games withing 5 years, is a huge difference and a dissaster.

Oct 25, 2017
I said "either profitable OR profitable enough". Granted a developer wants to be as profitable as possible. Selling 8 million of a mainline Final Fanatasy game withing 10 years or a cobined 30 to 38 million of 4 mainline games withing 5 years, is a huge difference and a dissaster.
I don't understand why this board( and this is a big problem with this community as a whole) would rather go with their own conspiracy theories than actually read the facts laid out right in front of them by multiple sources. Than y'all make it worst because instead of taking the L like adults y'all double down why? You were wrong take it on the chin

Oct 25, 2017
Have they finally made a profit?
Uhh.

The 10-million thing was just a personal goal of the team, not the point where it needs to be to be considered a financial success:

Since release Tabata stated several times that they broke even on day one and made good profits since then:

FFXV was the major contributor to the best fiscal year SE has had ever last year.

Also, the development costs weren't anything crazy either even if you count the whole ten years since before mid-2012, when it was rebooted as FFXV, they haven't much spent that much and it wasn't in actual development for more than 2-2.5 years or so:

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
I don't understand why this board( and this is a big problem with this community as a whole) would rather go with their own conspiracy theories than actually read the facts laid out right in front of them by multiple sources. Than y'all make it worst because instead of taking the L like adults y'all double down why? You were wrong take it on the chin

What are talking about? What conspiracy theory?

The whole premise is flawed so I don't really have to say more than that to prove that your post is full of shit.

If you can't control your emotions while debating - or even provide any stubstantial arguments - instead of insults, you should probably stop posting.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Have they finally made a profit?
Hajime Tabata: We made quite a lot of money off the game on day one - we made good profits off that - and we thought the best way to use that profit would be to thank the fans who'd played the game, to give back to them and use that to improve their experience.

[...]

It shows a lot of faith from your seniors that they're giving you a new IP. So I take it that the Final Fantasy 15 project has been considered a success?

Hajime Tabata: I think that's the way the project's seen within the company. That's the assessment of how it went, and I'm very happy to hear that. It made a lot of money, and a lot of profit for the company - and that's a good thing. And the challenge of trying new things, and expanding that, that's part of the company's strategic plan. Doing new things based on what we did with 15, is perhaps even more important.

Source.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Looks luke going multi-plat since FF13 has been a positive for the series. Which is good to see. The more people that can play, the better.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I said "either profitable OR profitable enough". Granted a developer wants to be as profitable as possible. Selling 8 million of a mainline Final Fanatasy game withing 10 years or a combined 30 to 38 million of 4 mainline games withing 5 years, is a huge difference and a dissaster.
You do realize we're not in the 90's anymore, right? Very few huge franchise release annually/biannually anymore outside of your sports games and CoD/BF/Assassin's Creed (though even AC isn't annually anymore). AAA take 5 years on average at this point.

In the 10 years after Versus' announcement SE released FFXIII, FFXIV 1.0, FFXIV 2.0, FFXIII-2, LR: FFXIII, and FFXV. You act like there hasn't been anything else while Versus/FFXV was in development. SE has many different internal teams. Maybe read Ishiro's thread on SE's current projects and teams.

Besides, I linked you a statement above that said that FFXV wasn't even that expensive when you count the whole ten years. Also, keep ignoring that SE had its best fiscal year ever last year after FFXV released.

Weeb

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
8 million and the game is still unfinished.

Is it like PUBG?

Anyway, good for square and bad precedent for the industry.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Congrats to the team I hope it continues to do well so that Final Fantasy XV can be in litterally everything.