• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrontierGamer

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
o9tDvRQ.jpg

I open this discussion to talk about what I consider, easily, not only one of the best OST of the Final Fantasy saga, but one of the best OST ever made.
That's why it would be nice to talk about your Top 10 of the best OST, not only about the game, but about the wonderful universe of Final Fantasy XV :)

Start with my number 10. Really sublime.

https://youtu.be/giI1sYmGOBk

(So much to be incredible even in his re - arrangement dedicated to the character of Noctis in Tekken 7)

PS: the rest of my Top 10 will be published soon.

AlexCampy89

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I do not know if it is the best ever, but it's top three for sure, imo.

It is my favourite too.

Stand your ground, Apocalypsis Noctis, World of Wonder trailer, Ifrit's Theme, etc.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
"Hellfire" is seriously up there with Dancing Mad, One Winged Angel and every other final boss theme from each and every Final Fantasy.

The Shiva phase gets me every single time.
It's so damn good.

Last edited:

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
It's tough for me to rank it above OSTs like FFVIII's or X's but since XV's volume 2 came out it's definitely up there. The number of legendary composers who worked on that soundtrack is literally never before seen in gaming. It's almost unfair to other entries in the series.

Ranking any of my favorite tracks is almost impossible so I'll just link 2 for now. Put them on repeat, folks.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I completely disagree, there are few good songs but it's nothing compared to old FF osts and many other video games osts out there.

Check these RPGs osts

Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy 9
Lost Odyssey
Legend Of Mana
Baton Kaitos
and many more..

Deleted member 2913

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, it's one of my favorite FF OSTs and probably one of my favorite gaming OSTs of all time. So many good songs, one of the few soundtracks I like to go back and listen to and replaying the PC version really made me listen to it a lot again.

KOT

Oct 27, 2017
Minsk
It's great, but I'd vote for the original Xenoblade as the best one personally, it's just magnificent. Besides, there are great OSTs in FF series aside from XV - XII, VIII, X, Type-0 are among my favorites.

But XV's OST is really, really good tho. DLC ones with guest composers are amazing too, OST for Episode Ignis gives me goosebumps every time with its violin.

My personal top 10:
1. Somnus
2. Apocalypsis Noctis
3. Stand Your Ground
4. Noctis
5. Veiled in Black
6. Episode Ignis - Main Theme
7. RAVUS Boss Battle
8. Hellfire
9. ARDYN IV
10. Theme of RAVUS

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All-time is probably going a bit far (Gitaroo Man and The World Ends With You are my top 2), but it became my favorite FF soundtrack (passing VII) after the new stuff they added last year.

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
Nah, It's a good but not great. It lacks a clear identity for me besides being "another Shinomura soundtrack".

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't go that far, but it has a lot of great songs, for sure. There's even a lot more now with the DLCs and the Royal/Windows Edition's additions.

Speaking of the DLCs' music, Episode Prompto's main theme has seriously become one of my fave FF songs.

CtffG.jpg

Hellfire is the obvious choice - probably Top 5 FF boss themes for me now.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
When it's at it's best maybe but it doesn't have close to the sheer number of quality tracks in previous games, certainly any of VI-X

It was one of my biggest complaints with the game, too often you're just running around in silence, and the outpost music is hideous

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I don't dislike FF15's OST but nothing is wowing, a huge amount of the soundtrack is full blown orchestra that is super hard to listen to again because they are just tailored for the context they're a part of. No prog rock goodness, no genre-blending, no balls to the wall nonsense music that makes you blow your mind. It's very serviceable in that sense for me.

My notable tracks are all non-Shimomura tracks I figured : Hellfire is good but it has that Pirates of the Caribbeans style that is hilarious, Ravus Aeterna is also good and one of the few tracks that breaks the orchestra mold, Battle on the Big Bridge is a good arrangement

I very much preferred FF13's trilogy OST. I think the best music came from Episode Prompto but it was Naoshi Mizuta as the composer, who also worked on the FF13 series, so it was obvious he was going to be the one to break the mold.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Since they released Vol. 2 of the Official OST, there is a ridiculous amount of music released for this game, and much of it is good. Hard to say if it is best ever, but it is definitely one of the best.

The full soundtrack also has several legends composing for different parts of the game-- Shimomura, Uematsu, Mitsuda, and some others.

Cikay

Oct 30, 2017
It's a really, really good soundtrack, but by no means one of the best FF soundtrack.

The battle themes are all great, really powerful and exciting, probably the most epic ones of the series. But the game is really lacking in the field and town themes department, especially for a Final Fantasy game. For example, Lestallum or Altissia's tracks are nice, but why are they low key parodic musics, instead of magnificent tunes that fit the beautiful visuals of the locations ?
In FFXV there are no tracks like Phantom Forest (FFVI), Cosmo Canyon, Nibelheim, City of the Ancients (FFVII), Horizon, The Castle (FFVIII), Burmecian Kingdom, Memoria (FFIX), Besaid, Via Purifico (FFX), Rabanastre, Eryut Village, Salikawood (FFXII), Nautilus, Oerba (FFXIII), etc. (well even if some of those are in the music player, haha)

Oct 25, 2017
I love the game and the soundtrack, but man, I don't think it's even close to that.

Not even Shimomura's best work, let alone the best in the industry.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's a really, really good soundtrack, but by no means one of the best FF soundtrack.

The battle themes are all great, really powerful and exciting, probably the most epic ones of the series. But the game is really lacking in the field and town themes department, especially for a Final Fantasy game. For example, Lestallum or Altissia's tracks are nice, but why are they low key parodic musics, instead of magnificent tunes that fit the beautiful visuals of the locations ?
In FFXV there are no tracks like Phantom Forest (FFVI), Cosmo Canyon, Nibelheim, City of the Ancients (FFVII), Horizon, The Castle (FFVIII), Burmecian Kingdom, Memoria (FFIX), Besaid, Via Purifico (FFX), Rabanastre, Eryut Village, Salikawood (FFXII), Nautilus, Oerba (FFXIII), etc. (well even if some of those are in the music player, haha)

Uematsu is low-key an ambient music god so it's a high ceiling to reach

Oct 31, 2017
I already loved Shimomura but man this ost was still a surprise for me. Hellfire and Titan Battle are stunning. The OST was a triumph. The soundtrack and those characters deserved a better game and storytelling.

EmryX

Oct 30, 2017
I'm listening the new song of the FFXV Volume 2, holy shit the new cutscenes and boss songs in the new Insomnia dungeon are godlike :O
Yoko Shimomura nailed it again ! B)

Last edited:

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the battle themes in this game. Probably one of the highest in the FF beside FFVIII.

Also Somnus is a great theme.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's a amazing OST, but no I don't think it's top 3 even in Final Fantasy let alone all time (FF for me is the franchise with the goat OST though). VIII, IX, and X are better. I think as someone nailed it, whoever added the songs in the game did a poor job. They should have been implemented better in game. FFX I think has the best OST for FF, and it's best implemented in the game. It just enhances so many CGI scenes or even normal scenes when Tidus is narrating.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I agree with you OP, it's amazing how FF games keep having top tier music for each entry and XV is on another level.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I really don't know why people enjoy Hellfire, half of it is basically just medley and the rest is just percussive orchestral nothingness. To compare it to Dancing Mad, a truly unique track that over twice Hellfire's length, is ludicrous fanboyism.

Personally, I think the best FFXV music is cordoned off in Ignis's DLC, composed by Yasunori Mitsuda. Some of it actually sounds closer to some of Yoko's better work, specifically Radiant Historia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzI1nB-REw (Main theme)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6V9r_rsVuI (this one incorporates part of FF7's battle theme)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2McL37-BE34 (Apocalypsis Magnatus, a superior remix of Apocalypsis Noctis IMO)

The piano piece that plays during the final end credits is also really good.

It's still nowhere near the best of what FF music has to offer. It might not even be the best soundtrack of a Tabata game, since Type-0 exists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa4VfAtnv1g

Last edited:

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I really love Hunt Or Be Hunted and Crystalline Chill but nobody ever seems to mention them. Sad!

Also not sure if it counts, but Too Much Is Never Enough is one of Florence's best songs and one of the better FF vocal songs.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible, and it just keeps getting better as they add songs in the updates. Ffxv and Nier Automata both rule my soundtrack listening right now.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You absolutely right OP, FFXV is the gift that keeps on delivering, I have said numerous times before. This OST is so incredible that beats any ff game before it to the ground and thats saying a LOT. Veiled in black keep me playing just to find the next battle to be able to hear it. That stand by me song mixed with ff prelude is just tear enducing at the end. So many moments.

Its also up there with the bests OST of gaming.

Still I feel this game gets little recognition for everything it has done, but I am glad it has at least been a huge comercial suscess for squareenix. Believe me when I tell ya this is the best that could have happened to Versus XIII.

We are walking tall on the best timeline.

Oct 31, 2017
You absolutely right OP, FFXV is the gift that keeps on delivering.

Believe me when I tell ya this is the best that could have happened to Versus XIII.

We are walking tall on the best timeline.

You can love FFXV without saying absolutely ridiculous stuff like this

And TC I think XV has one of the best soundtracks in a video game but I also dont like how you pretend XV doesn't have a million flaws

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite FF tracks isn't even released in the official soundtrack of this game for some reason:

This is a fan edit of joining the two versions of the unreleased Somnus tracks.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Those bold claims of "best ever", man. The soundtrack wasn't THAT great. It was alright. Despite some borderline plagiarism from Skyrim's theme as well as a Madonna song.

Status
Not open for further replies.